Max King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Max King

For all the focus on our internal improvement next year I feel we under estimate the impact Max King could have on our fortunes next year and beyond.

71 games into his career and 24 next year Max is just about to enter what many believe to be the prime years for an AFL footballer. 24-29 years old.

In his third season (2022) he played a full season and kicked 50+ goals averaging 2.4 goals a game and over 5 marks a game.

Last year despite injury interruptions and at times carrying injuries into a game he still averaged 2.5 goals and took over marks a game.

It isn't a massive stretch to see King elevating his game to another level on 2024. If he can average 3 goals a game that will put him right in the hunt for the Coleman and have us in the hunt for a top 6 and maybe even top 4 spot.

Fingers crossed he has an injury free year (noting that despite many thinking his body is frail he played 18 games in 2020, 20 games in 21, and 22 games in 22)

It may be the difference between us feeling like we're building to an eventual premiership or on the road to no where this time next year.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Re: Max King

On a related note.

I've seen plenty of 'experts' pick us to be bottom 6 next year. Offensive when you consider the below imo.

King is a top 5 tall forward in the AFL
Higgins and Butler are one of the better combinations of small forward in the AFL (both top 20 with arguments for higher)
Marshall is a top 5 ruckman in the AFL
Wilkie a top 5 tall defender in the AFL
Jack Sinclair a top 10 small defender in the AFL

Where we remain questionable or lack stand outs is the midfield.
Steele should bounce back
Clark, Owens and Phillipou should improve and spend more time onball
Crouch & Ross are reliable
Dow should add plenty as one of few on our list who can transition the ball from inside to outside.

We're being well and truly underrated.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 15 Nov 2023 12:13am We're being well and truly underrated.
That suits me just fine.

Look at how we performed this year as the underdogs, compared to when we were sitting in the top 4.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

No excuses from here on in, Max was picked to be our franchise/marquee player. Has to kick 60+ next season to announce himself as such otherwise it will become very concerning with regards to wasting another FRDP.

Needs to improve his mindset and not spit the dummy when he loses contest or misses out on a free kick. When he does that he usually doesn’t give a second effort so needs to improve his defensive mindset. He also needs to lead out for his marks more than hanging out the back or to the side of a pack to use only his height as his one wood. Also needs to get a little bit of the Caminiti’s about him and put some fear into the opppostion defence in a physical sense.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 15 Nov 2023 9:51am No excuses from here on in, Max was picked to be our franchise/marquee player. Has to kick 60+ next season to announce himself as such otherwise it will become very concerning with regards to wasting another FRDP.

Needs to improve his mindset and not spit the dummy when he loses contest or misses out on a free kick. When he does that he usually doesn’t give a second effort so needs to improve his defensive mindset. He also needs to lead out for his marks more than hanging out the back or to the side of a pack to use only his height as his one wood. Also needs to get a little bit of the Caminiti’s about him and put some fear into the opppostion defence in a physical sense.
I don't necessarily disagree with the improvement areas identified but gee it's exciting given he is already a 50 goal a year forward with so much RFI.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 15 Nov 2023 9:51am No excuses from here on in, Max was picked to be our franchise/marquee player. Has to kick 60+ next season to announce himself as such otherwise it will become very concerning with regards to wasting another FRDP.

Agree there. The guy has scope for taking another step yet, but as a key forward, needs to improve in a couple of areas.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Seems hard to judge Kingy. (overall, i.e. dud or star)

Still lean towards star.

I think he might go the Joe Daniher route. Slow burner.

He'll be frustrating.

There will be a lot of expectations piled against him

There will be questions about attitude.

Eventually, age 30, people will call him a star.

Will he be in St Kilda colours then?

PS. I think the support cast is definitely in flux.
Forward thing is NOT working (as it has been pointed out here, it might not be the forward or forward coaches fault)

Higgo and Butts are a 5/10 IMO in terms of AFL small fwd unit
Cooper is going Ok but still getting to find hos feet
Caminiti doesn't know which way is up
Membrey was a shadow and we just don't know what happens there
The big 'O' is the new kid in town rock star and that comes with baggage

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Or be could be a fast burn at CHB? An instant star, there, who knows?
Roberton was pick 45 and averaging 25 possessions at CHB under Richo - what could Kingy do, there, given his height and athleticism?

We will probably never find out.
Last edited by samoht on Wed 15 Nov 2023 2:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Good points, but none of which are all that difficult to fix. I would expect Max will work on all these aspects of his game and become one of the comps big improvers in 2024 and contend with Charlie Curnow, Nick Larkey and others for the Coleman. The big question mark for me is his ability to not get injured again because for a 202 cm 94 kg key forward he could do with a lot more muscle in his upper body.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 15 Nov 2023 9:55am

I don't necessarily disagree with the improvement areas identified but gee it's exciting given he is already a 50 goal a year forward with so much RFI.
Here’s hoping he gets some good luck and avoids any major injuries during his prime years and gets the chance to meet expectations.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 15 Nov 2023 2:50pm

Good points, but none of which are all that difficult to fix. I would expect Max will work on all these aspects of his game and become one of the comps big improvers in 2024 and contend with Charlie Curnow, Nick Larkey and others for the Coleman. The big question mark for me is his ability to not get injured again because for a 202 cm 94 kg key forward he could do with a lot more muscle in his upper body.
Totally agree Sanctorum re the extra muscle, and with Ross as his coach it’s hard not to think his defensive game will benefit immensely.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Whatever the experts in Physio are telling him, it looks like piling on muscle could do more harm than good.
That hunched-over posture means weak neglected muscle groups are being overwhelmed by growing and developing muscle groups.

Recipe for more shoulder injuries.

Recipe for knee disasters too

Says the great Dr. Grambeau.

Lower traps
" When this muscle is neglected and becomes weak, the Upper Traps will take over which can lead to shoulder soreness, neck injuries and poor posture. "
https://www.onyourmark.nyc/post/neglect ... prevention

Now we know that Max knows all this, and all of them know all this, and have known for probably nearly a decade. So go figure..or don't. (see if I care!)

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 15 Nov 2023 12:13am

Higgins and Butler are one of the better combinations of small forward in the AFL (both top 20 with arguments for higher)

Why have you ranked Sinclair so low?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 19 Nov 2023 1:18am
nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 15 Nov 2023 12:13am

Why have you ranked Sinclair so low?
AA defender.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’d say Sinclair is the best running defender in the AFL