We are kidding ourselves.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

We are kidding ourselves.

So, we have this big war chest to go chase top line players at the end if the year.
It won't matter how much money we throw at them they won't come and go to other clubs for less.
I mean, who would want to come to St.Kilda with our valium inspired style of game.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: We are kidding ourselves.

Who says we have a war chest

I’ve heard our cap is tight! As hard as that is to believe!!!

footynut
Club Player

Finals must now be a pipe dream, so what's the plan??? How do we look forward?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

footynut wrote: Sat 11 May 2024 11:18pm Finals must now be a pipe dream, so what's the plan??? How do we look forward?
Ask RTB, he's running the show, you can see in his presser that he's embarrassed by his ineffectiveness, hence, he talks out of his chute. :lol: :lol:

It's a 4 year plan, further back than he hoped i would guess.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

footynut wrote: Sat 11 May 2024 11:18pm Finals must now be a pipe dream, so what's the plan??? How do we look forward?
Start by addressing our weaknesses - clearance midfield and forward line - and making changes to it. Positional and/or personnel

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

We have needed KPP in every area for 10 years ( add years to suit personnel suffering), we've tried drafting, trades for impact, coach, board, staff changes, etc.

There's some hope in 1-5yr players...
But every area is in controlled shambles still.

Our biggest crisis is the midfield & forward line. Both have been shocking for years. We keep pointing to disposals gained as improvement or cudos to young players on the odd decent game; but placing hope on developing personnel...its obvious that it is far from suitable for a future grand final team.

Drafting is a hit and miss.

Trading in high quality players is very difficult...if they're that consistently good, they're costly. It has some to do with incoming players expectations of wins but nothing helps like $$$...and we 110% have a war chest...do the math.

We have had many issues from poor management, recruiting, coaching, player development, finances, etc etc.

One can only hope this past 3 yrs has been the turning point as we start a long progression of building. But even in this period we could point to a costly coach firing, trading in avg players, drafting ok yet player development within 12mths starts usual decline....and on and on.

So I'm still hopeful.
Need KPP:
mid (2 minimum) a back up ruck, forward (tall and small)
Plus new forward/mid field coaches...sorry legends time to find a new club to milk with mediocre strategy and coaching...no more excuses.
Last edited by SAINT-LEE on Sun 12 May 2024 12:30pm, edited 3 times in total.

nefron55
Club Player

bobmurray wrote: Sat 11 May 2024 11:23pm
Ya, nah, club has been extremely clear that we lack talent and have communicated that directly to supporters a number of times since we collapsed at the end of Ratten’s tenure. Happy to share the member emails for anyone that missed them.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 11 May 2024 6:12pm Who says we have a war chest

I’ve heard our cap is tight! As hard as that is to believe!!!
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/03/27/ ... ff-season/

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

nefron55 wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 11:47am
bobmurray wrote: Sat 11 May 2024 11:23pm
Ya, nah, club has been extremely clear that we lack talent and have communicated that directly to supporters a number of times since we collapsed at the end of Ratten’s tenure. Happy to share the member emails for anyone that missed them.

Agree. No major surprises here..unfortunately lost the close ones. Narrative very different with some luck.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

End of last year we were on the rise and a destination club. 9 rounds in and that's changed to on the slide and on the nose.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 1:18pm End of last year we were on the rise and a destination club. 9 rounds in and that's changed to on the slide and on the nose.
There are supporters who knew well enough not to believe we were on the rise and a destination club as a result of the 2023.

Nearly every neutral and pundit in the AFL world also new it and is why it was widely predicted we would slide.

Blind Freddy could see we over achieved in 2023.

Young players with less than 10 to 20 games of experience don't all of a sudden turn into stars with the exception of the generational types, and even then you can't have an imbalance of youth in your side to compete for a flag due to the laws of physics even if all of your youth was to have said generational talent qualities. (see GWS).

Why is this such a hard thing to understand...there is so much history and statistics for fans to inform themselves of this.

Killa
Club Player

We require ruck assistance for Marshall (Heath on our List)

We require defensive assistance for Howard, our only KPP defender with size

And we need to move on from the one paced (slow) mids we put in there week after week after week They do not only not provide breakaways from contests, they also lack defensive chase and defensive positioning because they are so slow - putting the chase responsibility on Hill who then runs himself ragged doing what he does

That Marshall contributed the “clearances” he did after contesting the ruck says it all

All certain of our mids do is wrap the opposition in a tackle

spert
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 2:58pm We require ruck assistance for Marshall (Heath on our List)

We require defensive assistance for Howard, our only KPP defender with size

And we need to move on from the one paced (slow) mids we put in there week after week after week They do not only not provide breakaways from contests, they also lack defensive chase and defensive positioning because they are so slow - putting the chase responsibility on Hill who then runs himself ragged doing what he does

That Marshall contributed the “clearances” he did after contesting the ruck says it all

All certain of our mids do is wrap the opposition in a tackle
I have noticed in most of our first quarters, that the mids are all playing defensively and instead of attacking the ball, they are trying to block- no wonder we can't score, then Lyon finally wakes up later in the game and rejigs things to get some attacking moves, but we can't go further with just 10 minutes of intensity in a game.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 1:46pm
Otiman wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 1:18pm End of last year we were on the rise and a destination club. 9 rounds in and that's changed to on the slide and on the nose.
There are supporters who knew well enough not to believe we were on the rise and a destination club as a result of the 2023.
My
Nearly every neutral and pundit in the AFL world also new it and is why it was widely predicted we would slide.

Young players with less than 10 to 20 games of experience don't all of a sudden turn into stars with the exception of the generational types, and even then you can't have an imbalance of youth in your side to compete for a flag due to the laws of physics even if all of your youth was to have said generational talent qualities. (see GWS).

Why is this such a hard thing to understand...there is so much history and statistics for fans to inform themselves of this.
We were enough of a destination club to lure Henry and Dow. No doubt there was interest in both from others.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 4:24pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 1:46pm
My

We were enough of a destination club to lure Henry and Dow. No doubt there was interest in both from others.
Dow coming to us wasn’t necessarily about destination but more desperation so I’d wait until you see a sample size of Dows work before calling him on anything…he was Carlton’s version of a player somewhere between a Billing’s and a Byrnes.

Maybe a new club will take him to a higher level but he’s a bit of a butcher by foot which can be hard to eradicate.

Henry might be more of the coup but as always I like a decent sample size but I really liked his game against the Pies but we need players who can deliver high performance on a consistent basis.

The trick is to judge players on delivered performances over a sustained period.

seano1
Club Player

We need a forward -midfielder plan . Our forwards love standing next to each other making it easy for the backmen to double up on them. Our smalls seem to be nowhere to been seen . If the midfielders are instructed to bomb it in long and the forwards told to group there and have a chin wag while they wait , and our mids are very considerate and wait for the opponents to get in position next to our forwards before they kick it . So it all comes back to the game plan .

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sam McClure

Haha - he hasn’t got a fkn clue

His pay numbers are nowhere near what he suggested

Just makes s*** up

And wow
Ollie Florent - a b grade HB - let’s over pay him