Thank you St Kilda

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Thank you St Kilda

You have made my weekends easy to plan from now on

You don't put in the effort - I am not going to

That was s***!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Re: Thank you St Kilda

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 11 May 2024 5:21pm You have made my weekends easy to plan from now on

That was s***!
Yep. Instant drop off in crowds for rest of the season.
There’s losing, then there’s this where they suck the life out of everyone week on week with this shitful football.

So much for Ross the Toss “we can run” “try to score” mantra. 15 years of defensive footy. Most overrated coach of all time with no ability to change or do anything different.

How you reckon we’ll go against, Melbourne, Carlton, Sydney, etc…..be lucky to score a total of 5 goals in all games combined 🤦🏻‍♂️

repta
Club Player

I can now book my September holidays.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 11 May 2024 5:21pm You have made my weekends easy to plan from now on

That was s***!
Were a dogshit group (not a team) with not a single game changing player; a sook for a key forward, and a mute for a captain.

As for the Coach … now let’s see how he goes with less than 50% member support. And sliding further quickly.

Go you red, black & white warriors
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

That was defining. The idiots talking about magic wands , lack of talent , sample sizes and any other overly obvious jargon will now envelope this forum

The fact that I share the club I love with these morons makes it that little bit harder

I still have faith in the coach and most of the present squad. Next year

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Put your hands up if you have ever said "play the kids" or you call for certain kids to be played every week, for example put your hands up if you have called for Arie or Collard to be played in the last few weeks, put your hands up if you have called for Hastie or Garcia to be played in the last few weeks.

Put your hand up if you called for any of these kids to come into the side this season and are one of the lunatics losing your mind over this game.

If you have you know absolutely nothing about football.

We are in a very hard rebuild and we were a bottom 4 side before coming into this game, losing this game doesn't make us bottom 4, we already were.

We are playing the kids, we will be bottom 4 for a couple of years while we rebuild.

Just a shame the club don't call it for what it is.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Finally a creative post

B.M
Saintsational Legend

A rebuild

That’s not what Basset thinks, Ross thinks and what was suggested at the start of the season.

If we are in a rebuild who are our top DPs driving our rebuild
Wilson 18
Phillipou 10
NWM 11
Owens 33
Byrnes 53

Not exactly the Harley Reid, Nick Daicos level!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

So our average losing margin not including the 1 blowout is under a goal (5.6 points). It’s funny because we don’t look anywhere near it.

Our unattractive and scrappy football is a blessing and a curse; it keeps us in the hunt but it’s not quite to up the standard to pull off a win.

Gawd we’re awful and boring to watch.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Brunswicksainter
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 11 May 2024 7:39pm A rebuild

That’s not what Basset thinks, Ross thinks and what was suggested at the start of the season.

Wilson 18
Phillipou 10
NWM 11
Owens 33
Byrnes 53

To be fair every bit of evidence suggests rebuilding through the draft is a losing strategy. The more top 10 picks you have the more likely you are to be worse off in 5-10 years.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 11 May 2024 7:39pm
That’s not what Basset thinks,
Beg to differ.

Listen to the press conference held by Bassett to announce Ross had been signed as coach.

Also Read his letter to members from a few weeks ago.

Ross was given a mandate to rebuild.

It's just been sold to us as a restumping, or rewiring, or restoration or whatever other Real Estate salesman speak for a rebuild salesman use.

The only thing up for debate is what magnitude of a rebuild did Bassett think we needed when he bought Ross back. My belief is he didn't have a clue and possibly still doesn't because he's clearly a fan with lots of money who drew the short straw when the presidency spot became vacant and has been winging it ever since.
Last edited by Vortex on Sat 11 May 2024 8:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I watched that presser

He said that he believed the list had under achieved and was capable of more

Questions over standards was what he alluded to

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 11 May 2024 8:14pm I watched that presser

He said that he believed the list had under achieved and was capable of more

Questions over standards was what he alluded to
Yea but like all sneaky snake oil salesman he gave him self a bet each way by saying we might have to go backwards to go forward.

Then connect the dots with his letter to members a few weeks ago which suggests he's been told the step backwards now might need to be 2 or 3 steps backwards.

WHICH! Is a fair gap from his letter of 2019 where he claimed we'd be in premiership contention in 2022.

Like I say, he's winging it.

ace
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 11 May 2024 7:39pm A rebuild

Wilson 18
Phillipou 10
NWM 11
Owens 33
Byrnes 53

St Kilda should now be targeting bottom 3 on the ladder.
Then use the pick wisely
No McCartin at picks No 1
No Billings at pick No 3
No King at pick No 4
No Phillipou at pick No 10

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

We are a lot further away than i realised.
I thought we could be competing for a top 6 spot next year, and top 4 spot the year after.
The reality is there is no timeline for a top 4 spot .
Everyone knows we need to add at least a couple of high quality mids to the list. LDU + 1 more.
We need another dangerous tall forward for when King is out of form - which is more often than not. Also handy if the could do some relief ruck work .
We need a couple of quality small forward - Collard might be one next year, but an experienced Stengle wouldn’t go astray.
That’s at least 4 players I count.
Lots of big holes in this list.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Sat 11 May 2024 10:11pm We are a lot further away than i realised.
I thought we could be competing for a top 6 spot next year, and top 4 spot the year after.
The reality is there is no timeline for a top 4 spot .
Everyone knows we need to add at least a couple of high quality mids to the list. LDU + 1 more.
We need another dangerous tall forward for when King is out of form - which is more often than not. Also handy if the could do some relief ruck work .
We need a couple of quality small forward - Collard might be one next year, but an experienced Stengle wouldn’t go astray.
That’s at least 4 players I count.
Lots of big holes in this list.
Oh Seriously - would you come to us - unless we paid you Superannuation rates?????

We will get Dusty, Dangerfield et all - not LDU Stengle etc.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
nefron55
Club Player

Some of you just don’t listen to the club and overlay your own agendas on top. Club has been very clear that we were “kidding ourselves” under Ratten and were further away than we thought. Ross was brought in to rebuild and we’ve maximized our draft hand in both drafts post Ratts.

Club has been consistent that we think we need more talent. They’ve said it over and over. It was supporters who thought we were magically going to be top 4. Clubs messaging has been good and consistent if you care to listen to it.

nefron55
Club Player

Some of you just don’t listen to the club and overlay your own agendas on top. Club has been very clear that we were “kidding ourselves” under Ratten and were further away than we thought. Ross was brought in to rebuild and we’ve maximized our draft hand in both drafts post Ratts.

Club has been consistent that we think we need more talent. They’ve said it over and over. It was supporters who thought we were magically going to be top 4. Clubs messaging has been good and consistent if you care to listen to it.

jays
Club Player

nefron55 wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 5:29am Some of you just don’t listen to the club and overlay your own agendas on top. Club has been very clear that we were “kidding ourselves” under Ratten and were further away than we thought. Ross was brought in to rebuild and we’ve maximized our draft hand in both drafts post Ratts.

This ^^^ 100%

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sat 11 May 2024 8:49pm
St Kilda should now be targeting bottom 3 on the ladder.
Then use the pick wisely
No McCartin at picks No 1
No Billings at pick No 3
No King at pick No 4
No Phillipou at pick No 10
Yes, not picking the best midfielder on offer.

Of the team that played yesterday, 15 of the 22 would not be part of most premiership teams. You can carry a couple, but not 15. Blokes who drop marks on the back line must be churned out of the club.

We have come close, and could easily have won, four games this year. This was due to the tactics of the coaching panel and the play of a few - like RoMa, the captain and vice-captain.

Fifteen years ago, we also travelled to Launceston to play Hawthorn, and "rested" seven players from the "best" team. Despite that, we won the game easily - our 19th straight win for the year. Alas, it was to be our zenith, not a stepping stone. We lost three of our remaining 6 games.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

nefron55 wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 5:29am Some of you just don’t listen to the club and overlay your own agendas on top. Club has been very clear that we were “kidding ourselves” under Ratten and were further away than we thought. Ross was brought in to rebuild and we’ve maximized our draft hand in both drafts post Ratts.

It is not about not listening - it is not about losing - it is about the drivel that was served up yesterday - Richmond got pantsed yesterday - but I saw more endeavor and play on the ball than I did from St Kilda.

It is about
- dropped marks
- fumbled handballs
- dumb kicking
- bad kicking
- bad leading patterns
- no real game plan
- choking the game until eventually the opposition give up.
- giving up leads and trying to chase them down
- not taking the best option
- not hitting targets
- not getting 'expected' goals

I am not saying I wont go to another game this year - but if I have other plans - I would normally cancel them - not this year.
Oh - and I am not just a GA Member - We are 1st Level Reserved Seat Player Sponsors - so it is a massive financial cost - but my return on investment in terms of entertainment is negligible.

― Aristophanes

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 11 May 2024 8:13pm
Beg to differ.

Listen to the press conference held by Bassett to announce Ross had been signed as coach.

It's just been sold to us as a restumping, or rewiring, or restoration or whatever other Real Estate salesman speak for a rebuild salesman use.

The only thing up for debate is what magnitude of a rebuild did Bassett think we needed when he bought Ross back. My belief is he didn't have a clue and possibly still doesn't because he's clearly a fan with lots of money who drew the short straw when the presidency spot became vacant and has been winging it ever since.
It wasn’t only Bassett
Lyon came out himself through audio-gate and admitted he does t have the cattle
Some don’t like the truth at all
Anyhoo now let’s if Lyon can rebuild..

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 9:52am
Vortex wrote: Sat 11 May 2024 8:13pm
Beg to differ.

It wasn’t only Bassett
Lyon came out himself through audio-gate and admitted he does t have the cattle
Some don’t like the truth at all
Anyhoo now let’s if Lyon can rebuild..
I have absolutely do doubt Lyon knew before he took over the club didn't have the talent, and you probably don't have to be an AFL coach to work that out with a club constantly lingering around the middle to bottom of the ladder.

What frustrates me is fans that overrate players and the list, or call them as champions or best 22 long before they have proven themselves, hell we have fans that called players like Pou and Owens champions of the game before they hit 20 games and mentioned them in the same sentence as Fyfe and Bont and Petracca, that's where the issue is for those fans.

nefron55
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 9:27am

It is not about not listening - it is not about losing - it is about the drivel that was served up yesterday - Richmond got pantsed yesterday - but I saw more endeavor and play on the ball than I did from St Kilda.

It is about
- dropped marks
- fumbled handballs
- dumb kicking
- bad kicking
- bad leading patterns
- no real game plan
- choking the game until eventually the opposition give up.
- giving up leads and trying to chase them down
- not taking the best option
- not hitting targets
- not getting 'expected' goals

I am not saying I wont go to another game this year - but if I have other plans - I would normally cancel them - not this year.
Oh - and I am not just a GA Member - We are 1st Level Reserved Seat Player Sponsors - so it is a massive financial cost - but my return on investment in terms of entertainment is negligible.

Ya mate, we’re s*** — I absolutely see that. I was replying to people who were accusing the club of sending mixed messages when in fact, they’ve been very clear. Are we s***? Yes. Is the club unaware that we’re s*** and engaging in some kind of double speak to lie to supporters as some suggested? No.

Lastly, if you view sports fandom through the lens of “return on investment,” I fear you’ve missed the entire point.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Most of us know that we don't have the elite talent required. It's pretty damn obvious, especially in the midfield. Therefore, we accept that there's a lot of work to do to get into that top 4 in talent and performance.

However, there are some with expectations and when those expectations aren't met, go completely out of their minds in a fit of rage. It's hate, hate, hate.

None of us have liked what we've seen in recent weeks. I was cursing at the television yesterday like everyone else. But in the cold hard light of day you just have to be realistic. We're playing kids, and I applaud it. Garcia and Hastie are probably not ready and have given us very little, yet Lyon has taken the path of getting games into them at the risk of losing games we might otherwise win. Phillipou has been really struggling, while Owens is down on form and fumbling the ball most of the time. Windhager and Wilson are preforming adequately.

At the other end of the scale we have some senior players who have either dropped off in form (Membrey) or simply don't have the necessary impact for the position they're playing (Ross and Howard)

I came into this year with no expectations. An objective look at the range of talent on the list would suggest it is sub-standard compared to the real contenders. Look at Carlton. They have two absolute gun mids (Cripps and Walsh) and another high quality one (Cerra). They have arguably the best fullback in the league and have two key forwards that present a real nightmare for the opposition. That's the difference between them and us and in those positions it's quite a gulf.