RTB's Presser

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: RTB's Presser

B.M wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 11:41am And you say now it’s the players fault when with pretty much the same list it was Rattens fault

We have a 9-12 list

I Dont believe in the messiah complex and that the coach is the panacea of all performance and results like you think (although now you’ve changed your tune!)
So I enjoy letting you know about it!!!

Ross apparently
Coaches well - when he has a great list
Coaches poorly- when he doesn’t

What does that suggest

BTW
Nice to see Ratts enjoying the win - in the Hawks box yesterday
So you think Ratten is a better coach than Lyon and should still be coaching?
Then you say coaches don’t matter??
Make up your friggin mind - you just change your poorly thought out views based on wind direction
Odd behaviour
Face facts - you were t good enough to play AFl just accept it FFS

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

nefron55 wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 12:02pm
B.M wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 11:41am And you say now it’s the players fault when with pretty much the same list it was Rattens fault

We have a 9-12 list

I Dont believe in the messiah complex and that the coach is the panacea of all performance and results like you think (although now you’ve changed your tune!)
So I enjoy letting you know about it!!!

Ross apparently
Coaches well - when he has a great list
Coaches poorly- when he doesn’t

What does that suggest

BTW
Nice to see Ratts enjoying the win - in the Hawks box yesterday
Same list? 28% of our team yesterday wasn’t even on the list in Rattens last game. Let alone the players in the VFL like Dow, Collard and Arie that are likely to see the field this year.

Not sure where you’ve gotten that “same list” idea from — doesn’t hold up to just simply looking at the team sheet.

Last, I can only speak for myself, but I’ll never enjoy seeing opposition coaches or players celebrate beating us. I wish Ratts the best, but I’ll never enjoy anyone beating us.
He just makes it up mate that’s what he does
Take with grain salt cause half it’s just 1980’s claptrap
One post recently his coaching improvement was to tell the players to “man up”
In his image …I guess 😂
Lyons drastically changed the profile from Ratts rubbish - he didn’t and hasn’t (like Ratten did) gone to the Board telling them the sides “in the window”
He did that to keep his - not in the clubs interest

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 11:44am
Teflon wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 11:35am The problem Lyon has - and I’m a fan is he’s wrong to say “it’s a quick fix”
That’s nice to say but not true
He doesn’t have players with the smarts in decision making to go fast
He doesn’t have the players who are “clean” one touch ball users - ours fumble, drop chest marks, overrun the ball or simply handball to someone who is hot OR (Hi Seb) bang it on the boot with Hail Mary hopes (he’s not alone)
That’s not a quick fix.
I'll be a bit more specific than you have. He doesn't have the players in the midfield. Quick fix? I think its a matter of getting games into our more skillful youngsters, however long that takes is how long the fix will take.
Yup - he’s tried a few through there this year
Sinclair, Owens, Garcia, Stocker, Ross, Battle, facts are we are massively light on

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 11:55am Didn’t he have 2 All Australian players and an AA squad ruckman in the midfield yesterday?!
😂 is that best u got??
He had an AA HBF he’s desperately had to put in the middle cause he has no one ..so midfield all fixed ?
Brain dead
No hope
I will desist from responding further as it denigrates the forum but honestly get some help mate

“Yeah….nah””
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Ratten has proved that he could coach with the performances he got out of North Melbourne when he took over from Clarkson. Yes, they didn't win any games, but they could so easily have won four or five, they just didn't have any luck at all.
He also did a very good job with us, particularly in 2020. No doubt about that. And there were four games we lost by 6 points or less that season too.
Now, back to the season at hand; we have been desperately unlucky this season with injuries to key personnel since before we had even played any practice games, and I believe at the tribunal dishing out some pretty heavy suspensions to more key personnel. We simply can't win.
I now think we will probably struggle to win any more games until we get Clark, Crouch, Butler and Higgins back, and when Dow can reach match fitness.
We are just losing games all over the country and playing up to 8 players under 21 ever single week. We have been competitive in just about every performance. While this is great for their development, we seem to lack for on field leadership, apart from RoMa and Battle.
After quarter time it was obvious we weren't going to able to win, because we weren't fired up enough. Hawthorn led by 4 points then and eventually won by 5, having held a narrow gap on us all day. We should have come out fired up and kicked 6 goals in the first quarter given the opposition, but instead kicked 3.3, while Hawthorn kicked 4 goals.
Then when momentum swung our way, we kick 1.5 and allow Hawthorn to kick a goal against the flow of play in junk time.
This tells me that we really lack composure.
If we come out against the Dockers and kick 2 or 3 goals in the first quarter next week, I will be very p1ssed off because it means that nobody is taking responsibility for this team's performances.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Tony74,
Hi, are you able to say what Hayes issues were yesterday; and Ross seemed fully "had enough of these players", is there serious tension in the rooms now with so many playing poorly?
Cheers, Y.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 5:59pm Tony74,
Hi, are you able to say what Hayes issues were yesterday; and Ross seemed fully "had enough of these players", is there serious tension in the rooms now with so many playing poorly?
Cheers, Y.
Tony74 is a training watchers, aka fan.

Gets across a bit more info than the average fan on the account he hangs around training sessions a lot.

Do you think he sits next to Lyon in the coaches box? Would probably be the only way he'd know what the mood of the locker room is I'd suggest.

seano1
Club Player

It’s not the runners fault…..it’s yours….. your preparation of the game plan ….it’s your decisions on Thursday who’s in or not ……..you have all that information not the runner
They didn’t play the way we want them to ……same here were sick of it …..for years on here guys are rightfully saying theres this big mid playing there’s that tall back playing ……no we get a guy a full forward who did fa due to his condition and as a result suffers more concussions than others …..again the club has all this information.
Now there’s no doubt on Basset wanting success as we do and is trying to put the right people in the right jobs ……great but we have to results sooner than later cause we the fans are pissed ……. We need finals and a premiership before some of fall of the perch

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Oh Seb Ross was totally crap yesterday. I can't see him playing next year.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Killa
Club Player

Let’s get this straight

Ratts NEVER presented to the Board that the List was “in the window”

To the contrary, and despite his friendship with Richardson (they drove to training together, both resident in the Eastern suburbs) Ratts bemoaned the development of youth then challenging our younger players to replace our ageing players and frame their own futures

The assessment of the List was lower order (14th) with very specific requirements to improve that rating

The Board did not disagree, including on his final presentation to them (so virtually applying to keep his position, suspecting the decision had already been made courtesy of pressure from some high profile former players)

What Ratts did do was attempt to introduce a family culture and this was central to the COVID period performance

Harvey and Goddard joined the Coaching panel post Ratts departure

The List was decaying post the GF years and for a raft of reasons including in those GF years

Simply, you ALWAYS need to keep an eye on the future even when you win a premiership

Youth is the driver
Last edited by Killa on Sun 12 May 2024 11:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killa
Club Player

And do not underestimate the loss of Crouch

How many Brownlow votes in 2023?

Crouch is our premier midfielder

nefron55
Club Player

seano1 wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 9:51pm we get a guy a full forward who did fa due to his condition and as a result suffers more concussions than others …..again the club has all this information.
Did you just insinuate that Paddy got more concussions because he has diabetes? Do you have any scientific evidence to back that up? Medical journal article? Anything?

It hasn’t seemed to be an issue for this entire list of high performing athletes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... h_diabetes

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

nefron55 wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 11:44pm
seano1 wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 9:51pm we get a guy a full forward who did fa due to his condition and as a result suffers more concussions than others …..again the club has all this information.
Did you just insinuate that Paddy got more concussions because he has diabetes? Do you have any scientific evidence to back that up? Medical journal article? Anything?

It hasn’t seemed to be an issue for this entire list of high performing athletes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... h_diabetes
It is clear in all the validated scientific evidence that diabetics suffer more intense symptoms and take longer to recover from concussion.

Of course diabetes doesn't cause concussion, but it does affect recovery time and increases the severity of symptoms.

The link is due to glucose supply to the brain (which needs 20% of your entire supply of glucose to function properly). In diabetics that is problematic, but can be managed with strict monitoring and use of insulin.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

McCartin got concussion prior to getting drafted and he had problems with recovery which he and his own doctor claimed was due to his type 1 diabetes.

So here's a guy with pre existing health concerns... which firstly prevented him from training at the required level and... secondly restricted him when he got head knocks. It's all there on the public record* prior to the 2014 draft

Wtf were we thinking?

* https://www.afl.com.au/news/101285/goin ... his-tracks
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 14 May 2024 12:43am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 14 May 2024 12:39am had a pre existing health concern which firstly prevented him from training at the required level and also restricted him when he got head knocks.

He had diabetes and it affected his recovery and may still be affecting him. He took longer than other players to recover and he looks like he may have played his last game at the level.

He got concussion prior to getting drafted and he had problems with recovery which he and his own doctor claimed was due to his type 1 diabetes.

Paddy McCartin was never worthy of the number 1 pick for the National draft because he didn't test at the combine and he didn't play a full year at under 18 level. Surely all young kids need to show durability and resilience to be worthy of a top 2 or 3 pick

Wtf were we thinking?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/101285/goin ... his-tracks
What they really should have been asking was if PM had what it took to be on an AFL list in the first place, not whether he should have been taken as first pick.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

He had enough talent to be on an AFL list, but the red flags meant he should have gone at 4 or 5 or pick 10.

Even the great Chris Judd wasn't taken at pick 1 due to a pre-existing health concern.

Now that I think of it...it was all set up wasn't? Recruiters from Melbourne and Collingwood knew they didn't have access to pick 1, so who do you think they'd nominate when reporters would ask who they'd select?

They'd nominate McCartin to get the fool Trout to get excited.

They're certainly not going to say, we'll go for Brayshaw or De Goey.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 4:34pm
B.M wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 11:55am Didn’t he have 2 All Australian players and an AA squad ruckman in the midfield yesterday?!
😂 is that best u got??
He had an AA HBF he’s desperately had to put in the middle cause he has no one ..so midfield all fixed ?
Brain dead
No hope
I will desist from responding further as it denigrates the forum but honestly get some help mate
I think you'll find Sinclair will be spending a fair bit more time in the midfield. He's ready for the permanent move and I believe he's good enough to match it with the best of them.

His clearance numbers were unbelievable against North Melbourne and he was serviceable against Hawthorn.

His overall disposal numbers weren't great on the weekend, but that's more a symptom of the selfishness of certain players. They're chasing kicks instead of doing the team thing.

Marshall ignored Sinclair several times when Sincs was clear and available to receive a handball. Windhager did the same thing a few times. He preferred to kick the footy blindly instead of dishing off to a better user.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 14 May 2024 12:58am
Teflon wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 4:34pm
😂 is that best u got??
Brain dead
No hope
I think you'll find Sinclair will be spending a fair bit more time in the midfield. He's ready for the permanent move and I believe he's good enough to match it with the best of them.

His clearance numbers were unbelievable against North Melbourne and he was serviceable against Hawthorn.

His overall disposal numbers weren't great on the weekend, but that's more a symptom of the selfishness of certain players. They're chasing kicks instead of doing the team thing.

Marshall ignored Sinclair several times when Sincs was clear and available to receive a handball. Windhager did the same thing a few times. He preferred to kick the footy blindly instead of dishing off to a better user.
Sinclair plays his best and most damaging football from hbf. He has gone to the midfield because as most know it is struggling and needs a spark.
I am sure Ross would prefer him at hb. I would put him mainly at hb with the odd midfield stint, and give a few of the youngsters more of a go in the midfield. No better way to learn. If they get beaten, so be it, it's a development year isn't it?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

So you're disputing what the coach is doing. You think it's wrong?

He clearly gave Sincs the midfielder role. He was in the middle from the opening siren and I watched him go to every stoppage in the first 3-4 minutes.

Sincs isn't there to burrow in and win on the inside. I'm sure he puts his head over the ball when he needs to, but his job is to receive after Windy or Steele win clearance. His job is to provide polish after stoppages are won.

Do me a favour. Watch the centre bounce after Hawthorn kick the first goal of the match.

Steele wins the clearance and he handballs it to RoMa who turns and faces our goal (with Sinclair about 2 metres in front of him) and instead of handballing to Sincs who is in the clear, he bombs blindly inside 50. Sincs had his arms out -palms ready- showing Marshall he's ready to receive but RoMa ignores him

The ball is in flight and we see that Max had already started leading to space towards one of the flanks, but still very much within the zone for an easy kick at goal. His opponent was 2 metres behind him so he turns quicker than Max and marks the footy.

Bombing blindly to the hotspot 35-40 out dead in front is dumb football in most instances... against most teams.

If Sincs had the ball it might have taken a split second longer and Max may have had to kick from 50m out instead of 40 but it would have set a standard for the day, and I'm sure it would have given confidence to Max and confidence to the team.