saints interested in players already

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

banger74
Club Player

saints interested in players already

players like tyson stengle, ned moyle and obvisly jacob weitering

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: saints interested in players already

None of those players are required!!!!

This is why we continually fk up

What is our weakness???

Fkn midfield

Should be after LDU, McCluggage or any other OOC gun mids or go to the draft and draft mids!!!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

We need another ready to go ruck

Ned Moyle has been picked to play this weekend v Geelong

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 15 May 2024 9:41pm None of those players are required!!!!

This is why we continually fk up

What is our weakness???

Fkn midfield

Should be after LDU, McCluggage or any other OOC gun mids or go to the draft and draft mids!!!
I would argue Ned Moyle is highly required to release Rowan into the FWD line and to assist with rucking while Moose develops.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Rowan is an eite ruckman

He was in the AA squad last season, has been runner Up in the B&F both seasons he played solely in the ruck. Just last week he had 28 and 11 tackles as a ruckman!!

You want him ‘released’ into a position he is very average at - he is a BOG average forward.

While Ned Moyle is a lumbering 5ppg VFL forward.

If they do that - it’ll be it for me!!!

It means we can’t be any dumber and I’ll have less than zero confidence in people running the show

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

5ppg lumbering VFL Forward??

Moyle in his last 4 games (first 4 games this year) at VFL level Moyle has had 19, 23, 24, 17 disposals with 30+ hit outs in each of those games ... 2 goals on the weekend as well

He is 22 yo and 206cm

If Marshall goes down ... we are fkd .... he will also be 29 at thr end of this year and is showing plenty signs of wear and tear .... and maybe just maybe .... he could work well in tandem with another proper ruckman ..... or maybe we will never know cause Lyon won't try it

Collingwood - Cox & Cameron
Carlton - De Koning & Pittonet
Essendon - Draper & Goldstein
Swans - Grundy & Maclean
Freo - Darcy & Jackson

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Not great forward planning from the club.

SOS mentioned in the last draft period that the ruck situation needed to be addressed.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Maxwell Benier - what gives? Are we seriously looking at another defender in the mid season draft? WHY? WHY!!!

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Geelong VFL ruckman Ajang Kuol Mun or Andrew Phillips?

Mun is obviously the longer term value with seemingly a lot of upside but Phillips could offer a few years of back up that would strengthen ROMO's game, Phillips has more experience than Campbell but is he an add or subtract for us?

We need a ruck asap...if Heath or Campbell cant? What next for 2024? Keep limping in the ruck with only 1 true KPP?

We 100% need a midfielder #1 in this draft or if we cant get one, then go ruck. Please dont grab a defender ffs

wally
Club Player

Shoulda given up the 2nd rounder for Xerrie instead of Campbell couple of years ago.
Maybe looking a little further ahead if picking up a ruck.
My guess is if Stengel went anywhere I’d would be Carlton with Eddie betts

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Thu 16 May 2024 8:21am Shoulda given up the 2nd rounder for Xerrie instead of Campbell couple of years ago.
Maybe looking a little further ahead if picking up a ruck.
My guess is if Stengel went anywhere I’d would be Carlton with Eddie betts
Stengle needs Miers and Duncan kicking to him. Won't leave and be successful.
Mistake Saints have made this year is to back Membrey not replace him. He has not been able to repay the faith and trust invested. Not his fault, all players age and some can't reinvent their act to adjust. Either he starts pulling his weight or a tough call has to be made.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Wed 15 May 2024 11:24pm 5ppg lumbering VFL Forward??

Moyle in his last 4 games (first 4 games this year) at VFL level Moyle has had 19, 23, 24, 17 disposals with 30+ hit outs in each of those games ... 2 goals on the weekend as well

He is 22 yo and 206cm

If Marshall goes down ... we are fkd .... he will also be 29 at thr end of this year and is showing plenty signs of wear and tear .... and maybe just maybe .... he could work well in tandem with another proper ruckman ..... or maybe we will never know cause Lyon won't try it

Collingwood - Cox & Cameron
Carlton - De Koning & Pittonet
Essendon - Draper & Goldstein
Swans - Grundy & Maclean
Freo - Darcy & Jackson
Agree would be a great get. Allows Max Heath some more development time too.

Both Marshall and Moyle can play forward. Both provide great follow up and physically impose themselves.

Those critical of this and the wietering chat point to our need for midfield talent which is true however.

1. Midfield isn't the only place we need talent- we are short on elite talent in multiple positions.
2. We can walk and chew gum at the same time, looking at these options doesn't mean we aren't also looking for midfield talent.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Sanctorum
Club Player

Apart from Ned Moyle there is also Nick Bryan from Essendon who is languishing in the seconds and racking up some impressive stats.

Both are just 22 and only a year older than Max Heath who in Campbell's absence was reported to have had a very good game in Sandringham's close loss to Box Hill.

Hard to say if St Kilda are seriously considering either of these other ruckmen but if they are it might suggest they don't expect Heath to make it in the long term.

St Kilda would be smart to continue to play Heath as #1 ruck with Sandringham for a while to give him the opportunity to prove last week's game was not a 'one-off' and press his case to debut in the firsts.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Who thinks Heath will make it at AFL level?

Good competitor, hard nosed but I don't think he has it for athleticism and running capacity to be an AFL ruck.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
loris
Saintsational Legend

If I recall correctly - early April this year (maybe even April Fool’s Day, in replying to someone’s post 🤣😂), ‘tony74’ popped in with a titbit, Saints had a war chest & LDU was mentioned, he didn’t say who the others Saints are after, but hinted they weren’t sitting on their hands there were quite a few (no doubt the same as all clubs checking with managers about gun players in their stables).

Since tony74 dropped that hint, I’ve noticed most media outlets have been saying LDU is on Saints radar. Good to know where they get their info from.
Likewise some posters on here have since run with tony74’s tip as if it was their ITK scoop they were giving us.
Feed us some more pearls tony74, even if they are red herrings pleeeease😉

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Thu 16 May 2024 9:40am 2. We can walk and chew gum at the same time...
That's a big call given that our players struggle to run and kick accurately at the same time...Sometimes it's even a struggle to walk and kick accurately.

SteeleSaints
Club Player

I understand the club wanted to go back the draft again this year, but I wonder if the start to this season has them reassessing where they are at. I think we seriously need to bring in an elite midfielder in the LDU/McLuggage mould and another ruckman like a Ned Moyle or Nick Bryan, in lieu of more kids. The gap between our senior players and youngsters is too great, we need to add some ready made quality to help with the loads otherwise we are going to burn out players like Steele, Marshall etc.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The post title is a comical attempt at irony 😂🤣

Our currently listed players aren't interested in the Saints 🤷‍♂️

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

loris wrote: Thu 16 May 2024 1:48pm If I recall correctly - early April this year (maybe even April Fool’s Day, in replying to someone’s post 🤣😂), ‘tony74’ popped in with a titbit, Saints had a war chest & LDU was mentioned, he didn’t say who the others Saints are after, but hinted they weren’t sitting on their hands there were quite a few (no doubt the same as all clubs checking with managers about gun players in their stables).

Since tony74 dropped that hint, I’ve noticed most media outlets have been saying LDU is on Saints radar. Good to know where they get their info from.
Likewise some posters on here have since run with tony74’s tip as if it was their ITK scoop they were giving us.
Feed us some more pearls tony74, even if they are red herrings pleeeease😉
5 April

BM said something about finals
Mr 74 said:
'2026 people. We have a big war chest of money.
LDU plus plus'

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintbob
SS Life Member

Moyle, LDU and McCluggage will do for starters

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

For so many years, I have read posts on here about how we are about to land some big name players at the Saints. But it doesn't really happen that often, does it? Hamill and Gehrig were exceptions. Adam Schneider to a certain extent, although he wasn't in any great demand from clubs when he came to us. Bradley Hill too I guess.

And then there were the ones who showed up as damaged goods: Lovett, Carlisle and Hannebury being good examples. We got a little bit of value out of Carlisle and also Michael Gardiner. Barely anything out of the others.

But the simple truth is that we have pretty much never been a destination club. I seriously struggle to believe that, if a player with the talent and potential of LDU is up for grabs at the end of the season, his player manager is going to allow him to sign with the Saints, no matter how much money we offer him. Player managers are looking for marketing opportunities for their players, which means finals appearances and, preferably, premiership medallions.

The same goes for Weitering, who we don't really need anyway. If players of that quality are available, just about every club will be making a play for them.

An older player like McLuggage is possibly more of a chance, but how good is he really? He's a good player, arguably A grade, but not a player you would build your midfield around. Moyle had a good game on Thursday, which has lifted his profile up from nothing, but there's nothing at the moment to suggest that he's the man we need to take us to our next premiership.

I believe the future of our club rests with the likes of NWM, Wilson, Windhager, Philippou, Caminiti, King, Owens, Battle (if we can hang onto him) and, for a few more seasons, Wilkie, Marshall, Steele and Sinclair. The number one priority at the moment is for our club management to make sure that we can hang on to our good younger players and for our coaching staff to help them develop into stars. That, rather than bags of money, will help us become a more attractive proposition for quality players from other clubs.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SinCitySainter
Club Player

Money doesn't make us a destination club. If we want to land an LDU or McCluggage, we will need to offer 300 K more per annum than a Geelong or a Collingwood can.
The only way to push us up the table is talent acquisition through the draft, and another comfortable mid table finish does not give us access to the high-end talent we need. The club either needs to embrace hitting the bottom of the table which would mean trading out your Romo and Sinclair types for high draft picks, or sit back and enjoy mid table obscurity under Mr Negative.
Time to choose St Kilda.

If we do waste 1.5 million a year on a KPD then the club has already chosen and it is midtable all the way.

ace
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 16 May 2024 1:35pm Who thinks Heath will make it at AFL level?

Good competitor, hard nosed but I don't think he has it for athleticism and running capacity to be an AFL ruck.
I need StoneCold's opinion on this !!!!!!

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
shrodes
SS Life Member

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 16 May 2024 1:35pm Who thinks Heath will make it at AFL level?

As a midseason draft pickup the odds were always going to be against him. The list of those who have made it are few and far in between.

Marlion Pickett (2019)
John Noble (2019)
Jai Newcombe (2021)
Sam Durham (2021)
Massimo D’Ambrosio (2022)
Jye Menzie (2022)

Few others that played some games but never made it big.
Add to that he's a big man and the odds get even further stacked against you.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Me.