Team vs Freo (Walyalup)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team vs Freo (Walyalup)

Otiman wrote: Thu 16 May 2024 10:10pm I think not rewarding good form at Sandy is a bigger picture decision than Jones alone. You have to say that you value performance at that level as a metric for AFL selection.
I think what you’re seeing is a true measure of the list….
You can’t pull your socks up …you know the rest …

“Yeah….nah””
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 16 May 2024 11:05pm
Otiman wrote: Thu 16 May 2024 10:10pm I think not rewarding good form at Sandy is a bigger picture decision than Jones alone. You have to say that you value performance at that level as a metric for AFL selection.
I think what you’re seeing is a true measure of the list….
You can’t pull your socks up …you know the rest …
I don't know what the rest of that saying is but they can't pull their socks up anymore anyway because they wear those little ones.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
ace
Saintsational Legend

It is the bottom 6 players who lose you matches.
Replacing the bottom 6 players with similar quality players does not improve the team but it may stimulate the other players to play better.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

At least St kilda won't lose this fortnight, pity I can't say the same for the weak Euro-Yroke team.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I’m really disappointed that Pou has been picked after just one game being dropped.
I’ll be staggered if the kid has an impact. He needed to go back and put together a really good block of games and hopefully, he never gets dropped again,

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 16 May 2024 9:32pm
freely wrote: Thu 16 May 2024 8:12pm Weak and reactive. Ross Lyon's 'whateva' selection.
What utter garbage
Just post “I hate Lyon”
Leave it at that cause this is dribbling
The messiah can do no wrong
He could have dropped 10 players and Mr Dupont would still be calling him a genius

What would Pou's team mates be thinking after he is dropped for just one match but Cooper has to play 3 games for Sandringham? Wtf else did you need to see?

Cooper Sharman was best on ground for Sandringham 2 weeks ago. Where was his reward?

Doesn't bring in Dow when he should have against a strong Hawthorn midfield. Dow has played 3 games in a row for the Zebras...as opposed to Liam Henry...who Lyon threw straight in at the deep end

Liam Henry should have come back through the magoos after a 7 week layoff. The kid didn't quite have his confidence or touch.

Doesn't play a goal sneak 2 weeks ago when both Butler and Higgins were out and now decides to bring him in after an undisciplined act at VFL level

And what about young Anthony? What are you going to do if Membrey kicks 3 goals at Sandringham in a couple of weeks from now?

Not consistent. Not logical.

Weak and reactive is spot on

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Coach decides to manage 3 players altogether in the same week as he drops another 3.

That's 6 changes. Sometimes you can have too many changes. Need continuity for consistent performance

Why couldn't you see this coming when 3 weeks ago, YOU were the guy complaining about tough schedules?

Why not manage several guys over several weeks before it comes to such s disappointing effort against the Hawks?

Why not manage Skunk and Sebby and be pre-emptive for older players on interstate trips?

Read the tea leaves Ross.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yes but,

Your measurement system for good form at Sandy is not necessary and accurate way to determine if that form will be suitable at AFL level due to not only VFL standard being considerably lower, but also Sandy being a considerably low standard within the VFL.

It would make it hard for our coaches to get a good measure of Sandy players and how they might perform at the elite level and so selection must sometimes be a 'suck it and see' type proposition.

jays
Club Player

I’m loving the changes kids for plotting oldies, whoever giving RTB s*** is crazy what else can he do?

SaintDippa
Club Player

I gotta feeling Saturday night going to be a good night. I can feel it. If Ross, the coaches and selected 23 watched the Suns and agree to play a fast moving, the 'footy is always moving forward' brand, we win.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

jays wrote: Fri 17 May 2024 6:51am I’m loving the changes kids for plotting oldies, whoever giving RTB s*** is crazy what else can he do?
Apparently it’s his fault 1.5yrs in the club hasn’t recruited a mid for past 10 years …
I think there’s just so much pent up hate for Lyon that some of these “supporters” would be happy if he just failed
Bizarre.
Anyhoo the sane fair weather brigade will jump on if things turn don’t worry bout that ..we know who you are though …

“Yeah….nah””
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Is Ross the boss becoming less cuddly? Are we finally going to start getting selection integrity??

Would have liked to see Pou have a longer run in the 2s.

Also Hayes the saviour only lasted 2 weeks. (Or 1.5)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

somewhere , i heard Ross say
that he watched the 2nds run round

besides , that being an example of the new ross in action ... one would presume , reading tea leaves was exactly what he was at the game for

... and there's the new onfield team
as written in the empty cup

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

For mine, the lineup is better in some respects, but disappointing in others. But I always find it best to defer to the club's understanding of where individual players are at:not only in terms of how they have played in the AFL or VFL, but in training, mental attitude, etc.

Assuming all of these players concerned are fully fit, I would have made four changes at most: Dow or Jones (toss a coin), Caminiti, Cordy and Philippou for Hastie, Garcia, Hayes and Membrey. Unless he's unfit, dropping Stocker seems wrong to me: he's been a good player for us all season. Ditto Seb Ross.

I'm not at all convinced that Dow is going to be the top flight performer many on SS seem to believe him to be. I can't get out of my head his total invisibility during the first half of the VFL games against the Roos and the Hawks. To me it suggests that he struggles with the pace of the game. Jones had a good game against the Roos and worked hard against the Hawks but made a heap of mistakes. I hope both Dow and Jones have blinders on Saturday.

I'd rather not have seen Sharman back. I love his attitude, I love some of his skills, but I don't think he's of consistent AFL quality. I appreciate that both Hayes and Membrey needed to be omitted, but I think Caminiti and Cordy would be the best available replacements.

Unlike other posters, I have no problem with Philippou coming straight back. He played well on Sunday and, more importantly, gave his all. I think he's going to be a great player for us very soon.

But, as I said, I think the club is best placed to know whom to pick. It's a pretty important game: if we don't win - and, in particular, if we fail to kick a dozen or more goals - things are going to get uglier for the club and coach.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Fri 17 May 2024 9:50am

besides , that being an example of the new ross in action ... one would presume , reading tea leaves was exactly what he was at the game for

Love your optimism

…sorry…here come the BUT

There’s a world of difference between reading the leaves and …being reactive

I saw worrying signs weeks ago. We didn’t play well against GWS.

We’d only kicked 6 goals up until 3/4 time. GWS had lost Sam Taylor very early in the game

King had a chance to take advantage fir a couple of quarters( before he too got injured) but he was hopeless. Buckley (their second string KPD) did a job on him.

Then in the 3rd quarter, they lose another important player who was having an impact (Stephen Coniglio).

They had injuries to a couple of other players who stayed out there and were playing sore, including Josh Kelly

The following week, only 1 change was made. King out. Zac Jones in.

We lost to GWS by 1 point so people would think it was ok to not make too many changes…

The final score didn’t tell the full story.

Once again…only 1 change was made for the following week when we were up against the Western Bulldogs

Howard was left out (remember they have Lobb, Darcy and Naughton, with the bean pole English also a forward target at times

Lyon did not play Dougal Howard.

Following week against Port. He plays Howard and keeps Cordy in the line up.

In that Port game, both Sebby Ross and Tim Membrey were disappointing. That was the queue to rest them…

But oh no…super coach decides they need a hit out against North Melbourne…

Finally rests them now after Hawks disaster.

You mentioned vfl. Dow and Sharman have been good for 2-3 weeks. Sharman was best on ground 2 weeks ago

Cooper Sharman and Paddy Dow should have been in the team that travelled to Tassie…and possibly Lance boy would have helped too with a couple of snags to add to our sorry score line

To me…selection decisions all over the shop. Evidence to say coach is being reactive.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Don’t mind the changes. It seems an attempt to address our midfield (Dow and Jones) and forward (Caminiti, Sharman and Collard) shortcomings. And it’s not necessarily a reflection on the guys omitted and managed.

Will it pay off on Saturday? Who knows, but at least Ross is trying things as he must. Don’t forget that this would be the worst-performing Saints side he has been in charge of.

Collard is an interesting one. Worst on ground for Sandi reportedly, including costing them the game with an ill-disciplined act. It’s testament to the fact that we desperately lack a goal sneak in the absence of Higgins and Butler. Good chance for the kid to put his hand up.
Last edited by bigcarl on Fri 17 May 2024 10:59am, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Bringing Pou back in after 1 game in the magoos is ok by me, BUT…he didn’t get a rest last week

If you notice the reasons for dropping several players this week it says ‘managed’

If it’s ok to ‘manage’ Seb, Tim and other players, then I’d like to see Pou managed at some stage

Also Wilson. He’s in his first year and he has been fantastic so far….but

Let’s not play him until he gets fatigued and loses form like Pou did last year

asiu
Saintsational Legend

that was a good read , after ...
BUT

quite the em 'power' ing word

i quite like it , luvved using it my elf many times 🤣

though

i eradicated it (intentfully) from my vocabulary
'n replaced it with .... though

though , is grander in expansiveness
em brace ing
that , that has gone before

'n not a signal
implying
that , that , lol , that has gone before
is
ipso facto ... wrongo

love ya work mate

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 17 May 2024 10:33am
asiu wrote: Fri 17 May 2024 9:50am

Love your optimism

…sorry…here come the BUT

There’s a world of difference between reading the leaves and …being reactive

I saw worrying signs weeks ago. We didn’t play well against GWS.

We’d only kicked 6 goals up until 3/4 time. GWS had lost Sam Taylor very early in the game

King had a chance to take advantage fir a couple of quarters( before he too got injured) but he was hopeless. Buckley (their second string KPD) did a job on him.

Then in the 3rd quarter, they lose another important player who was having an impact (Stephen Coniglio).

They had injuries to a couple of other players who stayed out there and were playing sore, including Josh Kelly

The following week, only 1 change was made. King out. Zac Jones in.

We lost to GWS by 1 point so people would think it was ok to not make too many changes…

The final score didn’t tell the full story.

Once again…only 1 change was made for the following week when we were up against the Western Bulldogs

Howard was left out (remember they have Lobb, Darcy and Naughton, with the bean pole English also a forward target at times

Lyon did not play Dougal Howard.

Following week against Port. He plays Howard and keeps Cordy in the line up.

In that Port game, both Sebby Ross and Tim Membrey were disappointing. That was the queue to rest them…

But oh no…super coach decides they need a hit out against North Melbourne…

Finally rests them now after Hawks disaster.

You mentioned vfl. Dow and Sharman have been good for 2-3 weeks. Sharman was best on ground 2 weeks ago

Cooper Sharman and Paddy Dow should have been in the team that travelled to Tassie…and possibly Lance boy would have helped too with a couple of snags to add to our sorry score line

To me…selection decisions all over the shop. Evidence to say coach is being reactive.
Not all football pundits seem to see worrying signs as early as you Scolops. Coaches included. Even after the event.

Whether making more changes as you suggest would have made a positive difference, who knows? We may have lost by more, or won by less.

I'm glad Dow is in, as he has played some good AFL games for Blues, and has pace. Apart from a very good quarter, has only been reasonable in VFL, and imo has not really banged the door down to get in. Same with Sharman, a good game (was it mainly down back?), but nothing really noteworthy. Sharman is inconsistent, needs some good games in a block. Here's hoping.

Collard hasn't done much in VFL either, but we are desperately missing a busy body forward like Higgins.

I'm not sold on Stocker, does some good things but gets beaten too often. Like Caminiti in, but he and King need to work together better, Caminiti often plays as the No.1 tall forward, problem is King IS the No.1 forward. They have played together a few times this year, seem to be getting in each other's way too often from my viewpoint.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Really disappointing to see jones selected has not played a good game at afl level in a very long time.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Fri 17 May 2024 11:56am
Not all football pundits seem to see worrying signs as early as you Scolops. Coaches included. Even after the event.
I'm just a plebeian fan. An outsider

The coaches have the insight. It's Ross's job to analyse and predict.

The coaches are paid to review each player's performance AND to watch training and to assess on the inside.

We outsiders wouldn't be criticising if we saw good football being played.

If you want to believe the excuses for our poor showing against Hawthorn, that's your business

I'm glad Sharman has been named and I hope we use him as a leading forward. I'm glad Caminiti has been named and hoping he and King work better together than they have in the past.

Hoping Caminiti and Sharman aren't just dropped after 1 week. Let's see the combination of these 3 young talls for at least a few weeks.

Also... let's see Dow get a fair run at this level, without being replaced by Crouch in 2 weeks.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 17 May 2024 3:56pm
takeaway wrote: Fri 17 May 2024 11:56am

"Also... let's see Dow get a fair run at this level, without being replaced by Crouch in 2 weeks."
That's up to Dow. Once Crouch is match fit, he's an automatic inclusion, so he'll replace someone.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Gotta see what they got
Good changes

“Yeah….nah””
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Way back when - Big Lazar welcomes the Dockers to the Big League

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I maybe and hope I am wrong

But

I am completely staggered that Collard gets a game

His form in the VFL has been ordinary at best and I think it does nothing for selection integrity for him to now get a game

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights