Scorps VS Tassie Sat 11th Hobart 2 pm

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:On the other hand....it would be interesting to see what players like watts, Brooks and Ferg could do in the reamaining games to see where they are at...and who should kept or delisted...
Who knows, they could prove to be match winners!!

Too conservative as of late. I see where the coaching staff are coming from though, keep the same group together. However I believe our best 22 change every week, given our lack of depth.

sasaint
Club Player

TRUenergy VFL Reserves

Casey Scorpions 3.3 7.8 8.9 12.11 (83)
North Ballarat 5.4 7.5 10.10 12.11 (83)

GOALS:
Casey Scorpions: Sweeney 4 O'Bryan 2 Mercoulia Raymond Allen Mathesion McDonald Taylor
North Ballarat: Edwards 4 Searle 2 Clark 2 Schultz Urquhart Peace Hardy

BEST:
Casey Scorpions: Mercoulia Sweeney Panozza O'Bryan Frost Kennedy
North Ballarat: Parkin Dignan Peace Edwards Ewart Head

Scorps reserves. Good to see Sweeney getting amongst it, even if it is only in the reserves, :)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Herald sun report:

In the other match yesterday, the Casey Scorpions enhanced their final-eight aspirations with a 10-goal victory over wooden spooners the Tassie Devils at the Bellerive Oval.

Scorpions coach Peter Banfield praised St Kilda list players full-forward Fergus Watts, who booted seven goals from nine shots, half-forward Brett Voss (30 touches, 2 goals) and midfielder Andrew Thompson (30 possessions, 10 centre-square clearances).

He said former Adelaide ruckman Matthew Clarke had dominated the centre clearances working in tandem with Barry Brooks.

The final scores, Casey Scorpions 16.18 (114) defeated Tasmania 8.5 (53).

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Quixote
SS Life Member

So Fergus kicks another bag.

Anyone know where he was played for the majority?

Leading CHF or hanging back at FF?

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:35 pm Post subject: Tasmania vs Casey Scorpions on ABC2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who are interested in watching yesterday's Tasmania vs Casey Scorpions game from Bellerive.

The game will be shown on ABC2 next Sunday 19th August at 1am.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Fantastic, i'll set my box to record that one.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Herald sun report:

In the other match yesterday, the Casey Scorpions enhanced their final-eight aspirations with a 10-goal victory over wooden spooners the Tassie Devils at the Bellerive Oval.

Perhaps before we elevate a third of the Casey team for our glorius win....we should reflect on the quality of their opponents????

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Who is suggesting we elevate a third of the team?

Good form (in perspective of it being VFL and the opponents involved) warrants a look in for selection at least, given the form of a few current AFL players.

If you totally discount VFL form we will never have any new players in the side unless injured.

Do you REALLY want to play C.Jones, Attard and L. Fisher for a net 10 posessions between them?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Attard started teh season on fire and seemed to be one of the finds of the year, his form has tapered off but you'll always get that with kids, its question of consistency.

l Fisher is class, but is struggling atm.

CJ >< needs more work inhis game, and could do with more coaching to get his disposal right. he clearly hasn't shown anything of value in the seniors to date.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
my les foote
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Saints are still in the finals race, so no extravagant changes will be made this week. Especially not to put in players that will be cut in a month.
We were in the finals race last year too when they brought Brooks in for ONE game and then dropped him for the finals. And he showed more in that one game than Rix has shown in two years.

It's not an extravagant change to drop a bloke who can't get a kick.

Win it for HIM!
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Dan Warna wrote:CJ >< needs more work inhis game, and could do with more coaching to get his disposal right. he clearly hasn't shown anything of value in the seniors to date.
At 23 years of age and still needs more coaching to get his disposal right?

That's a massive worry.........

hotdish
Club Player

Whilst some of our players had great games, you need to remember that Tassie is the worst team in the VFL - and additionally, most of their senior players are out injured.

They are blooding 18/19 year olds from other comps (i.e NTFL and SFL) who aren't really VFL standard players.

Nonetheless, I hope Watts is given an opportunity this year, to reward all his hard work since his broken leg.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

fair call on beating tassie, but V2, watts, brooks have consistently been in the top 3 or 4 players at casey.

Given brooks's age, and the comparison with macintosh and his 1 year out with an injury, his form this season would suggest that given many 'bests off' in casey his form warrants selection i nthe seniors and he is due to step up.

clarke = gone at the end of 07. Rix = struggling, really struggling. I've come to appreciate his effort, I've mentioned the fact he throws himself at the man and the ball, but his ordinary.

if we get some 17 to 19 year old in the ddraft who is 198 to 200 plus cm we are looking at another 3 or 4 years plus development.

we have done that with brooks, his magoos form would indicate he is ready.

IMO rest FG or play of the bench, Kosi, rix rotate in teh ruck and when kosi isn't rucking, at FF.

clarke shouldn't play again in 07.

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:fair call on beating tassie, but V2, watts, brooks have consistently been in the top 3 or 4 players at casey.

Given brooks's age, and the comparison with macintosh and his 1 year out with an injury, his form this season would suggest that given many 'bests off' in casey his form warrants selection i nthe seniors and he is due to step up.

clarke = gone at the end of 07. Rix = struggling, really struggling. I've come to appreciate his effort, I've mentioned the fact he throws himself at the man and the ball, but his ordinary.

if we get some 17 to 19 year old in the ddraft who is 198 to 200 plus cm we are looking at another 3 or 4 years plus development.

we have done that with brooks, his magoos form would indicate he is ready.

IMO rest FG or play of the bench, Kosi, rix rotate in teh ruck and when kosi isn't rucking, at FF.

clarke shouldn't play again in 07.
The only problem with Brooks playing ahead of Rix and Clarke is he is a forward who doesnt relly ruck much at all so that is why he isnt getting a game. thats why the comparison with McIntosh is not really justified and I think that McIntosh has played one year less and played many more games than Brooks.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The only problem with Brooks playing ahead of Rix and Clarke is he is a forward who doesnt relly ruck much at all so that is why he isnt getting a game. thats why the comparison with McIntosh is not really justified and I think that McIntosh has played one year less and played many more games than Brooks.
What were Banfield's words again?

Something like "Barry is very good at winning the ruck in the center square and his ability to mark the ball aroud the ground is excellent." They sound like things a ruckman would do, not a forward.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

not playing devils advocate but mixed reports from attendees have indicated van rheenan ws doing a lot of the rucking from some and brooks was doing a lot of the rucking from others.

TBH as a selfish saints fan, I would love to see either brooks succeed at st kilda or be banished for ever to a trash competition.

It would stick in my guts if brooks or Watts succeed at another club.

SHUT UP KRIME!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:not playing devils advocate but mixed reports from attendees have indicated van rheenan ws doing a lot of the rucking from some and brooks was doing a lot of the rucking from others.

TBH as a selfish saints fan, I would love to see either brooks succeed at st kilda or be banished for ever to a trash competition.

It would stick in my guts if brooks or Watts succeed at another club.
well

A. they have to be candidates to be delisted.

B. I am sure some clubs would look at both them if they were delisted.

C. I remember someone saying that about gumby (Tim Elliot) when he was delisted as well but both of these guys have more talent than him.

D. As for Brooks being a forward it is probably his best position but he was recruited as a ruck, Didn't the saints review there agreement with Casey because players were being played out of position as in Brooksey playing forward when the saints wanted him in the ruck.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Gumby was a gun kid who just didn't pan out. i think he was taken to st kilda as a 16 year old and didn't put on weight and more importantly height.

Brooks I hve read a few critiques off, both positive and negative.

Watts was a gun kid, if he had another inch or 2 might have been a very good ruckman.

he's probably in that height in between ruckman and KPP.

SHUT UP KRIME!
st.mart
SS Hall of Fame

Watts is a Key Fwd.....period...has played FF/CHF (mainly FF this season)......he is coming of zero pre-season, and started in Rnd 4....also missed all of 2006...

Brooks was an All Australian U18 ruckman, and was rucking in the VFL (for Tassie at 17yo in 2001).....when he first got to St.K (2003) he started in the seniors as a Ruck, then got dropped to the scorps and was playing in the ruck (and starring) until he got injured (ACL) midway through 2003.

when he came back in 2004, he had lost the confidence to jump off his right leg, and this severely hampered his rucking confidence (was dropped to the Scorps two's....then all together)......when he eventually got back into the side it was as a FF.....and was did OK (Nick Stone was having a great season in the ruck, and played for Victoria)...he provided a good target and was re-signed...

in 2005 he played solely as a FF (Eames and Stone played Ruck)...kicked about 40 goals in a team that was very poor (3 wins)....

Last season Brooks played Fwd/ruck in the early part of the season, but it was when Rix (who was playing well) was promoted that Brooks shone in the ruck (a 13 mark game against N.Ballarat) and followed that up with a string of solid games.....

this season Brooks has played 60% in the ruck and has been VG....He has incredible talent, but does lack intensity....

Last half of 2004/2005 - 21/22yo
25 games at FF - 50 goals....in the best 3 times....7 goals (out of 9) against tassie...team finished last both seasons

2006/2007 - 23/24yo
24 games in the Ruck - 22 goals.....in the best 8 times....

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

nice work St Mart.........

Brookes is a ruckman

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

thanks for that st mart.

lets hope his form carries through to the seniors, because rix isn't much and he is way better than clarke.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

st.mart wrote: this season Brooks has played 60% in the ruck and has been VG....He has incredible talent, but does lack intensity....
I think thats what frustrates the hell out of us all .. he has got talent , (you dont trade 2 high draft picks on a complete dud).. but he has no intensity. no mongrel and also I suspect no heart.

What a waste.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

st.mart....could you confirm???

From memory, Brooks did his knee the week we got rid of Capuano. I remember the irony of the incident precisely.....

....But, was he starring? Surely he couldnt have been playing that well as he would have been playing seniors given our lack of confidence with Matthew....

....this is just my mind at work....but please clarify!!!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

was also the week that Penny did his knee and Max was already out- I retaped that game a few weeks ago .

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
st.mart
SS Hall of Fame

I watched 2 of his 4/5 games with the scorps.....and my thoughts of him were that he was very similar (but taller) to Jeff White......a bit lean, but he had a huge leap, and was very mobile, with clean skills.....and yes he was doing very well - remember he was only 19yo when he injured his knee - and was not ready for senior footy in his first 5 games......

he has lost some mobility, and his leap is not as huge, but still good....he can stget up occasionally in the centre bounce, and given the righ run, can take a hanger.....

lacks body strength in a one on one, and struggle at boundry throw ins, without a run up....