ins and outs?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

St.Walker wrote:I agree with you on leigh fisher...

What about tommo?
thommo is apparently injured.

fish is too good to leave out, he will come good.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Saints94
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:Hansen is 198?
i thought he was 196cm

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

thomo injured according to the press after racking up another high 20s low 30s game in teh guts for casey to 3/4 time.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Saints94
SS Life Member

Dan Warna wrote:thomo injured according to the press after racking up another high 20s low 30s game in teh guts for casey to 3/4 time.
might as well give him one more game let it come against richmond and then he might have that amazing 47 possesion game and go of in style :D

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
St.Walker wrote:I agree with you on leigh fisher...
fish is too good to leave out, he will come good.
Why do people think Leigh Fisher is actually good?

He's a handy back-up player who you would never put in your best 22.

He's slow, doesn't win much of the footy and isn't a great stopper...he's a 'trier'...god knows we've got enough 'honest battlers'. But they don't win you premierships, realistically.

I'm starting to think Ferguson could be a better option.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Why do people think Leigh Fisher is actually good?

He's a handy back-up player who you would never put in your best 22.

He's slow, doesn't win much of the footy and isn't a great stopper...he's a 'trier'...god knows we've got enough 'honest battlers'. But they don't win you premierships, realistically.
Disagree. His form last year would make him an automatic selection in any side in the competition.

Leigh Fisher's 2006 averages
Disposals - 17.2 (84.5% efficient)
Marks - 5.7 (0.5 contested)
Tackles - 1.7
Spoils - 1.7
Contested possessions - 6.7 (39.7% of total) - Highest of any saints defender

Those are very impressive stats, particularly for a 21 year old who had missed the last 2 years through injury.

This year he was going well until he did his hammy in round 10. He had actually gone a step up from his 2006 form, but since he returned to the side he hasn't been the same player. He may actually be hampered by injury or he might have just lost confidence to really go flat out at the ball in case he hurts his hammy again. He should have been dropped a few weeks ago, but he should still be a quality 200-game player for us.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Fair call that is 2006 form was better - Lenny Hayes said on the radio after the Sydney game that he could be another Luke Ball, but that was being a bit optimistic, I'd say.

I think his problem is that he's a bit positionless...

He's not quick and his body is too bulky, which makes him unsuitable for the midfield. He fits better in defence, but his defensive skills need a lot of work and his kicking simply has to improve.

I'm just a little tired of people talking him up when really, he hasn't done that much and doesn't really offer that much, other than a 'good work ethic' and a 'honest type' contribution right now.

Maybe injuries are what's stopping him, I'm not sure. But right now he looks slow, bulky and unsure.

Has to work on his pace and execution over the pre-season.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

tbh didn't notice fisher too much in the game, saw he had a few touches, remember seeing him chase down an opponent.

either he had a terrible game and didn't get a touch or he just quietly went about his business and didn't make any mistakes.

personally i think l. fisher is a very good player.

hayes says good things about all his teammates.

at fishers age, well he has another decade in front of him and he looks pretty good players usually.

SHUT UP KRIME!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Maybe injuries are what's stopping him, I'm not sure. But right now he looks slow, bulky and unsure.

Has to work on his pace and execution over the pre-season.
He has been used as a midfield tagger in recent weeks and that is probably the main reason he has looked so unsure. Like Gram and Chips, his position is half-back. He can cut off forward entries and rebound it to the best option. His attack on the ball at ground level is another asset.

When he is played in the midfield he just doesn't seem like he knows what to do. He always wants to give it off immediately and doesn't seem to have the same composed nature that he has when playing in defence. He panics and rushes his disposal without really assessing the situation. When he is in defence, the play is all in front of him and there would be set players leading to set positions for him to kick to.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:I cannot see Gwilt on Lynch..or Hansen
My guess is that Goose will take big Q and Chips will take Hansen. Don't worry too much about Hansen's height. He's primarily a leading forward. He's got good speed and good hands, but he doesn't use his size particularly well. Fisher should play him the same way he did Pavlich after quarter time.

Attard should come back in to mind LeCras. Gilbo will probably get first crack at Staker. If they try Wirra or Hunter up forward, someone will have to mind them.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:I cannot see Gwilt on Lynch..or Hansen
My guess is that Goose will take big Q and Chips will take Hansen. Don't worry too much about Hansen's height. He's primarily a leading forward. He's got good speed and good hands, but he doesn't use his size particularly well. Fisher should play him the same way he did Pavlich after quarter time.

Attard should come back in to mind LeCras. Gilbo will probably get first crack at Staker. If they try Wirra or Hunter up forward, someone will have to mind them.
Le Cras is a marking small forward. Attard not suited to that role. Ferg should get that job. Ideal match up.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote: I'm just a little tired of people talking him up when really, he hasn't done that much and doesn't really offer that much, other than a 'good work ethic' and a 'honest type' contribution right now.
Tough Call.

Maybe I am taking you out of context a bit, but the kid has a big upside. Reads the play well, gets a fair bit of the pill. I'm convinced that he will be a major part of the midfield rotations in the post Harvey era now that RL has had a good look at him. I dont see him playing half back type roles from next year onwards.

Agree his fitness isnt what it should be - but you could say that about 1/4 of our team right now.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Ferg will play as will hopefully Kosi and maybe Attard or CJ. Prbably Attard with bakes.
Good stuff - sounds good.

Ferg willdo the job nicely me thinks.

“Yeah….nah””
vacuous space
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Le Cras is a marking small forward. Attard not suited to that role. Ferg should get that job. Ideal match up.
LeCras doesn't get enough marks to be a marking forward. He had four goals two from three marks last time I saw him play. From what I've seen of him, he's a pretty typical small forward. I'm not sure Ferg's suited to that kind of role, but then again, I haven't seen much of Ferg over the last few years. I would give first crack to whoever had him last time. LeCras was a total non-factor last time we played West Coast.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'm surprised a few here don't seem to rate Leigh Fisher. I am surprised. His fitness seems pretty remarkable and in defence he's really proven his worth. Maybe I'm missing something?? :roll: :?

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:I'm surprised a few here don't seem to rate Leigh Fisher. I am surprised. His fitness seems pretty remarkable and in defence he's really proven his worth. Maybe I'm missing something?? :roll: :?
i'm with you. i rate both the fishers very highly. leigh is courageous and hardworking and a very good mark for his size. he is hard at the ball and the man. i'm missing something, too

Saint_in_SA
Club Player

Agreed with you guys - L Fish spent two years out with frustrating injuries before coming back last year and getting heaps of the footy - not an easy thing to do in this day and age, where the game changes so much so quickly

I didn't realise he is still that young too which is enormous upside. Hard to telll how his form really is as you don't really know what instructions he is under on gamedays......

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
Saints94
SS Life Member

SaintWodonga wrote:Out: Baker : Harvey : Max

In: Kosi : Fergo (surely given a run) : Attard.

How L.Fisher has played as many as he has is beyond me...
dont forget lecras

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

yeppers.

I dont think l. fisher is the messiah as some ppl rate him, dont think he is a terrible player either.

i do think he is a first 22 medium defender who can run a bit.

saw him lurking the forward line a bit when he followed his man. also did some good work rebounding, can take a mark, can spoil well.

quality player. can hve a crack down the wing too.

Don't really like s. fisher as the lose man in defence, IMO does much better with a job, and can run off his man. Couragious mark, sometimes goes for the mark instead of the spoil which can be annoying, also tends to be caught in between leaving his man to go for the ball or mark his man, which many defenders across the competition face with that dilemma.

generally IMO s. Fisher 8.5 /10 as a KPP, 7/10 when playing the lose man in defence.

L fisher generally IMO averaging 7/10 across the season

again this is my opinion

SHUT UP KRIME!
Saints94
SS Life Member

maybe we should drop him to get a bit of touch in the vfl just a thought :idea:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:yeppers.

I dont think l. fisher is the messiah as some ppl rate him, dont think he is a terrible player either.

i do think he is a first 22 medium defender who can run a bit.

saw him lurking the forward line a bit when he followed his man. also did some good work rebounding, can take a mark, can spoil well.

quality player. can hve a crack down the wing too.

Don't really like s. fisher as the lose man in defence, IMO does much better with a job, and can run off his man. Couragious mark, sometimes goes for the mark instead of the spoil which can be annoying, also tends to be caught in between leaving his man to go for the ball or mark his man, which many defenders across the competition face with that dilemma.

generally IMO s. Fisher 8.5 /10 as a KPP, 7/10 when playing the lose man in defence.

L fisher generally IMO averaging 7/10 across the season

again this is my opinion

certainly not the messiah, but a good honest defender with a great work ethic.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Leigh Fisher would be borderline in our top 22 if we had all 38 listed players available. But we don't, and I can't see why you wouldn't have him there.

If we are talking about players who are not the Messiah, how about Ferguson? Some of the posters on here - most of whom I am sure haven't seen him touch a football since 2005 - are so gullible about buying things sight unseen that you could probably sell them the Sydney Harbour Bridge!!

It seems that Ferguson has gotten ahead of Gwilt in the minds of the coaching staff and selectors, but for the life of me Gwilt looks more like a potential replacement for Max than Ferguson from what I remember of him. Even without the hair, Gwilt's a bit taller and has greater reach.

Ferguson, from memory, is a bit faster and perhaps a little better at reading the play. But there surely can't be much between the two. Anyway, it looks as if we are going to find out on Friday night.

As for the fact that CJ appears to be "in the mix" as they say, I guess there are just some unfathomable mysteries in this world: the Bermuda Triangle, the popularity of body piercing, and what on earth anybody sees in CJ are among them for mine.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Saints94
SS Life Member

gwilt might get picked

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

yep while I disagree with you regarding l. fisher, by and large some reasonable quality players seem written off for good, mcqualter, brooks, gwilt and a few others.

C.J. maybe a good player eventually but on the form he's shown in the seniors definately not this year.

SHUT UP KRIME!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

if gwilt is selected he should be given a run on the wing. like my old favourite ts40 he is not a defender's bootlace at this stage of his career.

however, i believe he could be handy on a wing where both his height and his kicking can be used to our advantage