You'll think you're at Subiaco....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

super dooper wrote:
st.byron wrote:FFS you guys. The umps don't go into games with any intent to shaft one team or the other. If the Saints are good enough and want it enough they'll win.
I agree with u there, BUT is it about being consitent with the frees in how they are awarded.
I dont care if they are soft or well earnt, as long as it is the same for both teams.

First to the ball usually gets rewarded!!!
Exactly. First to the ball, those who want it the most, the team with the most skill and passion.
Umps are the easiest people in the world to criticise. Everybody thinks they could do a better job. I think by and large the umps do an excellent job of making split second decisions in a very quick and chaotic game where the interpretations of rules are rapidly changing. And they're human. They make mistakes, just like the players do. If the Saints don't win tonight it'll be because they weren't good enough, not the umpires.

Young Georgie
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
super dooper wrote:
st.byron wrote:FFS you guys. The umps don't go into games with any intent to shaft one team or the other. If the Saints are good enough and want it enough they'll win.
I agree with u there, BUT is it about being consitent with the frees in how they are awarded.
I dont care if they are soft or well earnt, as long as it is the same for both teams.

First to the ball usually gets rewarded!!!
Exactly. First to the ball, those who want it the most, the team with the most skill and passion.
Umps are the easiest people in the world to criticise. Everybody thinks they could do a better job. I think by and large the umps do an excellent job of making split second decisions in a very quick and chaotic game where the interpretations of rules are rapidly changing. And they're human. They make mistakes, just like the players do. If the Saints don't win tonight it'll be because they weren't good enough, not the umpires.
Tell that to a young bloke learning the trade in CJ who was twice crucified by the umps against the swans giving away free kicks that resulting in telling goals when all he did was be the first to go and get the ball, was dived on by gorillas who dragged the ball in under him and with superior strength kept it there until a free was paid. Those were shocking decisions that may well have decided the result of that game. Unfortunately the truth is that the umps are trained to make split second decisions and should be smart enough to adapt to rule changes 21 into the season - not good enough! Why if you're a young bloke would you try and get the ball when about to be pounced on when you've got no hope - rock and a hard place.

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

sure....can i come and visit the pixies that live at the bottom of your garden........ :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
I'd rather have Julia Roberts for Head. :wink:

wouldn't we all.....well the guys anyway...... :wink: :lol: :lol:

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

sure....can i come and visit the pixies that live at the bottom of your garden........ :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

if you want to. According to most posters on this thread they'd do a better job of umpiring than the current crop.
Might favour the smaller players though.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Young Georgie wrote:[

Tell that to a young bloke learning the trade in CJ who was twice crucified by the umps against the swans giving away free kicks that resulting in telling goals when all he did was be the first to go and get the ball, was dived on by gorillas who dragged the ball in under him and with superior strength kept it there until a free was paid. Those were shocking decisions that may well have decided the result of that game. Unfortunately the truth is that the umps are trained to make split second decisions and should be smart enough to adapt to rule changes 21 into the season - not good enough! Why if you're a young bloke would you try and get the ball when about to be pounced on when you've got no hope - rock and a hard place.

Yep. It's called learning the game. It's a crap rule I agree. It penalises the bloke who goes in hardest for the pill. But it's not the umps fault. Blame Demetrispew and his sidekick Anderson. Move the ball on at all costs has become so endemic that sometimes the bloke who fights hardest gets penalised. Not the umps fault.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
stinger wrote:

if you want to. According to most posters on this thread they'd do a better job of umpiring than the current crop.
Might favour the smaller players though.

well...i'm sure ray is related to them......

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

You'll think your a subi oval
what cause of all the eagles cheers !!!!
for cying out loud was there any saints at the game ?? all you could hear was bloody eagles !!!
and in the dying mins when the game was to be won what do we hear on the TV thats right a chant of "go Eagles !" .... i had to check it was being played in melb !!!!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/