Lenny Hayes - couldn't ask for more

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Lenny Hayes - couldn't ask for more

Monumental. The best game he's played since returning from injury.

I'm sure it wasn't his statistical best, but his influence and presence was huge.

He hasn't quite returned to his 100% capacity, but he wasn't far off it.

In our very, very average midfield, he took charge and was a warrior in winning contested footy.

Along with Riewoldt, he was one bloke who can hold his head up very, very high.

So proud of his efforts tonight.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Apu
Club Player

Didn't stop trying all match. I was proud to be wearing the number 7 on my back at the game today

Club Player

I can't believe the impact Lenny had on the game, we really had nothing from our midfield bar him, Gram gave a heap of run off the backline which was his best game for a while and Roo's last quater effort was outstanding, showed the real attributes of a captain tonight.

I thought Fiora was pretty good as well, I don't know why we persisted with Kos in the ruck so much, he couldn't follow Cox, lost the majority of the taps (Cox set up Cousins every time at the centre bounce, why would Fisher be in the square if he isn't going to stand side by side with Cousins?) when Clarke came on Cox's impact went back a bit.

For next week I'd hope to see someone come in for Attard and Blake, hopefully Thompson and Armitage, start Kosi up forward and Clarke in the ruck... Frasers hand must be so bad, he spilt the ball at least 5 or 6 times tonight, I think the worst aspect about his game was his lack of defensive pressure.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Hayes was sensational...one of the few players tonight who could consistently hit a target

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

The turnover that led to a goal that he created from nowhere in the first qtr was exceptional...this bloke is the spiritual centre of the StKFC.

Nee!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

one of the few who played for 4 quarters

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
_7777777_
Club Player

hit the targets, mopped up when others made mistakes........

lenny hayes is awesome.

Lenny rox my sox.
midas_touch
Club Player

Lenny was simply outstanding tonight. Was the only honourable performance from our midfield, which was soundly beaten tonight.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Gilbert The Great
Club Player

Cant believe he didnt get in the votes on SEN, in fact not one saints player did. One of them even had Chad Fletcher ahead of Hayes. Kidding themselves.

nabby7
Club Player

he is awesome
hes getting back to his best..
hopefully not too late for our season

Saints43
Club Player

Best player at the club.

kalsaint
Club Player

Lenny is just a star.

His effort is first class mostly and he can get the ball and create value from his possessions.

Too many other midfielders in this side dont provide value. There's no point playing kick to kick. Its goals we want. Its quick forwards thrusts. Look to the first quarter for what happens when this occurs.

Look to the second half when some midfielders get hurt and are less effective, our second stringers dont cut the mustard with skill errors or chose to put in less effort. The second part is the worst aspect.

Lenny and Roo are just gems as was Grammy tonight.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Set up the first goal of the match with great delivery into the forward line. :lol:

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

127 Dream Team points :lol:

Lost count of the amount of times he got first hands on the ball at the stoppages.

Priddid got too much of it when they were head to head but he towelled up Stenglein when he was on him.

Heart and soul of the midfield.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
westcoastwizard
Club Player

Hayes is gun and has been for the last 4 years. I saw him in early 2002 when he was a yard quicker but gee he has a great football brain and is superb under pressure

wallbanger
Club Player

Lenny is one of my favourite players at the club, and it is so rewarding to see him get back to the sparkling form we know he is capable of.

He is a fantastic player - hard, tough, exquisitely skilled, great footy smarts, heart and passion for the jumper and always giving 100%.

Legend. Pure and simple.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
Behind Play
Club Player

Champion Player, Champion Bloke

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

ben_fff wrote:I can't believe the impact Lenny had on the game, we really had nothing from our midfield bar him, Gram gave a heap of run off the backline which was his best game for a while and Roo's last quater effort was outstanding, showed the real attributes of a captain tonight.

I thought Fiora was pretty good as well, I don't know why we persisted with Kos in the ruck so much, he couldn't follow Cox, lost the majority of the taps (Cox set up Cousins every time at the centre bounce, why would Fisher be in the square if he isn't going to stand side by side with Cousins?) when Clarke came on Cox's impact went back a bit.

For next week I'd hope to see someone come in for Attard and Blake, hopefully Thompson and Armitage, start Kosi up forward and Clarke in the ruck... Frasers hand must be so bad, he spilt the ball at least 5 or 6 times tonight, I think the worst aspect about his game was his lack of defensive pressure.
i dont think i can dissagree more with you Doc was woeful he really doesn have the heart to play AFL anymore i reckon thommo for attard next week and rix for Doc , provided X and bally come through

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Lenny Hayes - Brilliant
Nick Riewoldt - Inspirational

These two blokes carried the team in the second half tonight... It's a shame more than a few of the boys couldn't replicate their first half performance (minus the first 8mins of the second). Lenny's best game since injury without a doubt.... Tough in the clinches, clean hands (except for the fumble that led to a WCE goal), good disposal and unrelenting in his pressure and chasing.

Stand up Lenny. Take a bow.

The Saints are coming!