Goodbye Channel Rex???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Goodbye Channel Rex???

Could this be the end of Channel 7 and AFL Football?

Not only this recent drugs club naming last friday, but the naming of Braun in the Akermanis debacle... Have they gone too far???

I would personally love to see them removed and never offered another contract.

Channel 9 and 10 brought football into the new Millennium, and Channel 7 have taken it right back to where it was when they last broadcasted.

Bring back Channel 9 and 10... have all AFL matches on free to air, as many live as possible, and lets give the game back to the people.

They walk amongst us...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

hate what ch 7 has done....mongrels of the highest order......but i am happy with the footy on fox and free to air...can see whatever match i want to...and dead easy to record them on the iq......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

lol absolutely worst senario they get sued for for a couple of hundred grand at the absolute most.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goodbye Channel Rex???

HSVKing wrote:Could this be the end of Channel 7 and AFL Football?

Not only this recent drugs club naming last friday, but the naming of Braun in the Akermanis debacle... Have they gone too far???

I would personally love to see them removed and never offered another contract.

Channel 9 and 10 brought football into the new Millennium, and Channel 7 have taken it right back to where it was when they last broadcasted.

Bring back Channel 9 and 10... have all AFL matches on free to air, as many live as possible, and lets give the game back to the people.
Ch10 is no better/worse than last year so I'm not sure what you are asking for in relation to them.

As for Ch9 showing the games live rather than delayed, didn't they do exactly the same as Ch7 this year?

If you're talking about Ch9's commentary against Ch7's commentary then you may have a valid case, but enough to call for a change?
9 7 10
Cometti vs Cometti Hudson
McGuire vs MacAvaney Lane
Brereton vs Schwarz Voss
Lyon vs Watson Walls
Last edited by Mr Magic on Mon 27 Aug 2007 7:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

It is a bit rough that there is bugger all live Footy on the free to air. Interstate games should be available to those without Pay TV.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:lol absolutely worst senario they get sued for for a couple of hundred grand at the absolute most.
there go's my chrissy bonus :cry: damn stokesy if hes not sueing ppl hes being sued himself !!!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Stokes could well be personally behind the Channel 7 stories about drug cheats.

He is renowned for taking heroic, self-defeating stances on things like this: eg, his hugely costly campaign attempting to prove that the late John Marsden (the Sydney solicitor, not Melbourne writer for teens) was a pedophile.

His massive unsuccessful suit against Murdoch, Packer, etc. was not driven by a desire for financial gain but more from a sense that he had been lied to personally and stabbed in the back.

He's got plenty of the folding stuff to throw about the place, so I don't think Channel 7 will be going out of business just yet.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

The 7/10 combo is miles ahead of the offering from chanel Ed
If I had to put up with another game of Lyon/Taylor/Brayshaw carrying on about someone putting up "the dukes" I would gladly kill myself.
Up in QLD we now get more free to air games than ever. The 8:30 delayed games on friday is not a worry and much better than trying pick it up via the AFL site.
What I would like to see from Seven, is during the week instead of playing crap american soapies at 2:00am when no one is watching put on the fox games.
Then we would actually get what was initally promised... ALL games televised.

Seeya
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

I think I agree with what they have done.

Drug users should not be coddled and protected, they should be named and shamed.

Look at what just happened in the A-League - Stan Lazaridis got a 12 month ban for using illegal drugs. In the AFL, Cousins got an all expenses vacation with pay to Betty Ford.

Which organisation is the more mature and socually responsible?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Channel 7 have gone too far.

Also a lot of you clowns on here have forgotten the delayed coverage from Brisbane and Adelaide earlier in the season on 7 haven't you?

I couldn't give a stuff about who the commentators are.

Show me LIVE footy when the Saints are interstate is all I ask.

9 could do that

10 can do that, and so does fox

7 can't

7 have ZERO footy discussion type shows, 9 have TFS and Footy Classified and 10 has the fifth quarter plus before the game.

tossers!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:I think I agree with what they have done.

Drug users should not be coddled and protected, they should be named and shamed.

Look at what just happened in the A-League - Stan Lazaridis got a 12 month ban for using illegal drugs. In the AFL, Cousins got an all expenses vacation with pay to Betty Ford.

naming and shaming is okay if the rules allow for it...publishing stolen doctor patient records is about as low as a media outlet can get......

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Ric, totally agree that drug cheats in sport should get no leniency, but theres a bigger issue at stake here, the alleged theft and publication of confidential medical documents.

I wish to God these players' habits had been discoverd through more noormal channels ie random testing. Actually if they are users to the extent that they are attending a rehab clinic, why the hell havent they been pinged yet? You dont attend rehab after trying one tablet under peer group pressure at a party. These players are obviously regular users, yet have slipped through the testing sytem.

One other thing..they have obviously realised they have a problem and have sought rehab under their own steam, or that of their friends or loved ones. They havent needed to swan off to a uber-celebrity clinic in Glitzville USA with a smirk for the cameras at the airport, after repeated public stupidity.

Whoever these blokes are, they are a cut above Benny-boy in my eyes

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Ric, totally agree that drug cheats in sport should get no leniency, but theres a bigger issue at stake here, the alleged theft and publication of confidential medical documents.

I wish to God these players' habits had been discoverd through more noormal channels ie random testing. Actually if they are users to the extent that they are attending a rehab clinic, why the hell havent they been pinged yet? You dont attend rehab after trying one tablet under peer group pressure at a party. These players are obviously regular users, yet have slipped through the testing sytem.

One other thing..they have obviously realised they have a problem and have sought rehab under their own steam, or that of their friends or loved ones. They havent needed to swan off to a uber-celebrity clinic in Glitzville USA with a smirk for the cameras at the airport, after repeated public stupidity.

True, True, but Dimwit doesn't like likely facts like what you are does he?

It shows how pathetic the 3 strikes policy is.

It shows how useless the testing is once again.....got more chance of getting pulled over at a booze bus than getting drug tested as a player methinks!

Wake up to yourself Dimwit, listen to government/public opinion for once in your miserable life and change the drug code.

I hope the players really arc up about it and force his hand on this issue.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Ric, totally agree that drug cheats in sport should get no leniency, but theres a bigger issue at stake here, the alleged theft and publication of confidential medical documents.

If I recall the Ch7 story from last Friday, these 2 players had tested positive twice and under the AFL policy, were required to attend rehab? Don't give them more credit than they deserve.

With relation to Benny-boy, he didn't test positive at all under the AFL testing regime so there was no requirement for him to do anything. As far as the AFL was concerned he was 'clean' until his ex-girlfriend apparently 'dobbed' him in. The running off to Malibu Rehab was, IMHO, just a giant cover-up by teh WCE designed to do nothing but diffuse the negative press surrounding them.
If anybody here seriously thinks that 4 weeks in a Malibu Clininc is enough to cure Benny-boy from his 'substance-use' problem then you are seriously deluding yourself.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
riccardo wrote:I think I agree with what they have done.

naming and shaming is okay if the rules allow for it...publishing stolen doctor patient records is about as low as a media outlet can get......
I agree they broke the rules, and for that they are wrong, dead wrong.

But the AFL rule on drugs is contrary to WADA protocol or court rules in Australia, and therefore I reckon the rules are, frankly, pretty dumb.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

If I recall the Ch7 story from last Friday, these 2 players had tested positive twice and under the AFL policy, were required to attend rehab? Don't give them more credit than they deserve.

With relation to Benny-boy, he didn't test positive at all under the AFL testing regime so there was no requirement for him to do anything. As far as the AFL was concerned he was 'clean' until his ex-girlfriend apparently 'dobbed' him in. The running off to Malibu Rehab was, IMHO, just a giant cover-up by teh WCE designed to do nothing but diffuse the negative press surrounding them.
If anybody here seriously thinks that 4 weeks in a Malibu Clininc is enough to cure Benny-boy from his 'substance-use' problem then you are seriously deluding yourself.
Thanks MM, wasnt aware that they were already "2-strike" players...I should read things a bit more closely LOL..seeing them in a whole new light now

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

There has only been 3 players test positive twice and none are from the supposed club so that is incorrect.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

There has only been 3 players test positive twice and none are from the supposed club so that is incorrect.

thjt was the case at the start of the year....not now ffs.....

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Plugger66,
the Ch7 story was that these 2 players have tested positive last December and I believe in April, which means their 'positive strikes' are outside those that were reported previously.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Heard Steve Carey (Ch& News Boss) that the 2 people charged by Police over teh Medical Files have been charged with THEFT but not with stealing them from the offices of the Rehab Clinic.

They have been charged with THEFT by FINDING?. Apparently by finding them in the gutter and not returning them to the Clinic it is considered theft?

So far the police do not allege that they actually took them from the Clinic, which poses the question of how did they end up in the gutter?

It would seem something is not quite right with the Clinic's ability to hold and store its own records?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Mr Magic wrote:Heard Steve Carey (Ch& News Boss) that the 2 people charged by Police over teh Medical Files have been charged with THEFT but not with stealing them from the offices of the Rehab Clinic.
They have been charged with THEFT by FINDING?. Apparently by finding them in the gutter and not returning them to the Clinic it is considered theft?
So far the police do not allege that they actually took them from the Clinic, which poses the question of how did they end up in the gutter?
It would seem something is not quite right with the Clinic's ability to hold and store its own records?
Agree totally, the only thing that 7 could be guilty of is if they paid someone at the clinic to steal the documents. Media outlets pay for information, as unappetising as that sounds, its the way they work. The clinic on the other hand is responsible for holding personal information in a secure manor, and if need be dispose the documents according to law, not just chuck them out in a wheely bin.

Seeya
stinger
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Heard Steve Carey (Ch& News Boss) that the 2 people charged by Police over teh Medical Files have been charged with THEFT but not with stealing them from the offices of the Rehab Clinic.
Agree totally, the only thing that 7 could be guilty of is if they paid someone at the clinic to steal the documents. Media outlets pay for information, as unappetising as that sounds, its the way they work. The clinic on the other hand is responsible for holding personal information in a secure manor, and if need be dispose the documents according to law, not just chuck them out in a wheely bin.

i can think of a couple of things that 7 could be charged with.....there is c'wealth legislation protecting the unauthorised publication of patient medical records ffs.....

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
sunsaint wrote:

i can think of a couple of things that 7 could be charged with.....there is c'wealth legislation protecting the unauthorised publication of patient medical records ffs.....
Stinger, last year I found some household rubbish in my industrial wastebin at work that had obviously been 'dumped' overnight. Being peeved about it I had a look inside the bags and assorted rubbish to try and identify the person who had dumped it. To my amazement I found hundreds of 'tuck shop' and 'matron visit' records from a local primary school with all sorts of private, personal information. I rang the administrator of teh school who came down within 15 minutes and picked it all up. They were horrified that I had these records as they had given them to someone (from within the school) to dispose of them correctly, and yet here I had them.
Now I don't know if these records constitute 'patient records' or not, but they were not disposed of correctly and could have turned up anywhere. Similarly, if it is proved that the Clinic was attempting to dispose of records and didn't supervize that disposal properly, then they need to be seriously looked at.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:[

Stinger, last year I found some household rubbish in my industrial wastebin at work that had obviously been 'dumped' overnight. Being peeved about it I had a look inside the bags and assorted rubbish to try and identify the person who had dumped it. To my amazement I found hundreds of 'tuck shop' and 'matron visit' records from a local primary school with all sorts of private, personal information. I rang the administrator of teh school who came down within 15 minutes and picked it all up. They were horrified that I had these records as they had given them to someone (from within the school) to dispose of them correctly, and yet here I had them.
Now I don't know if these records constitute 'patient records' or not, but they were not disposed of correctly and could have turned up anywhere. Similarly, if it is proved that the Clinic was attempting to dispose of records and didn't supervize that disposal properly, then they need to be seriously looked at.

that's terrible but it happens......

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:[

that's terrible but it happens......
and one AFL club seems to be constantly shooting themselves in the foot with whats in their rubbish ;-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor