Ross Lyon and St Kilda Football Club - Great Work

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Brian Collis
Club Player

Who's Thommo? :shock:

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

Maybe Ross just wants to win the game and has not concerned himself with sentiment. He and the selection committee are best people equipped to select a team that they think will win the game for us on Saturday. Whilst Thommo has been a very good servant to the club but that doesn't mean he is required to play when a finals birth is on the line at the end of the day the team and the club are bigger than the individual. He would understand this and know that should we make finals he has another chance to break into the team.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

I guess noone read this by his mate?
killa_gram wrote:Thommo has been told that he will play if the Crows win and will not if the Pies get up. They are waiting to see what happens on Fri night. Unfortunately for Thommo, if we get in the finals it looks like he has already played his last game in a Saints jumper unless there is a massive run of injuries.

Before Im 85
battye
Saintsational Legend

redwhite&blackblood wrote:Maybe Ross just wants to win the game and has not concerned himself with sentiment.
Clint Jones is not better than Thompson, come on.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:tough coaches makes the tough decisions
I agree - but on a non-emotional level, CJ is not half the player Thommo is, even at 34.

The bloke deserves a send-off.

An absolute champion of the club who gave his all, and we're a better club than what is being done here.

Another dissapointing effort from Ross Lyon. He makes a lot of very odd decisions at the selection table...

I'll say it again....PUT EMOTION ASIDE HERE - THOMPSON IS STILL A BETTER PLAYER THAN JONES.

I feel like we're not playing our best 22 - that really hurts.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Sentiment & passion is what wins you games!

I agree totally THOMMO should be playing and named in the starting line up as a sign of respect. There is no way he would let the team down and the blokes would lift around him.

LYON and the match committee have go this terribly wrong. It shows that they do not have a feel for the passion and committment the guy has shown us for the last 10 years.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Nick_Dal_Santo = ChAmPiOn
Club Player

Re: Ross Lyon and St Kilda Football Club - ABSOLUTE DISGRACE

Oh When the Saints wrote:I have been one of Ross Lyon's strongest supporters, and have defended him on this forum and speaking to others all year.

But he's going to cop it now.

How on earth can he not select Andrew Thompson for what will be his last game of AFL football for St Kilda?

Thompson has played 200 games for the Saints, won our B&F in 2000 and was a stalwart during the lean years when we were down the bottom.

He is one of the toughest and most respected footballers to ever pull on the red, white and black, and has bled for this club time and time again over his career.

Thommo has battled injury issues this year, but was in the best players in the VFL last week.

At 34, this is going to be his last season.

He deserves a spot for St Kilda for one final time.

Thompson gives everything he has and more. By sheer force of will, he will not let you down and he is more worthy of selection than a couple of blokes who have been named in the team.

His selection ahead of Gwilt, Jones or Blake will not cause us to lose the match ... it will not affect our performance to that degree, and may even improve it.

Don't tell me he wouldn't be better than those guys, regardless of whether Collingwood or Adelaide win.

He has given everything to the club, and should have earnt something back.

Ross Lyon, you do NOT UNDERSTAND the history of this club.

You have not seen us suffer and hope over recent decades.

You have no idea about what a bloke like Andrew Thompson has given to this club, and the sacrifice and committment he has made.

Fair enough, walk in here for 5 minutes and coach us.

But try and have some respect for our history and for those who deserve our gratitude and loyalty.

You, Ross Lyon, are an absolute disgrace for not selecting Andrew Thomspon this week. The St Kilda football club is an absolute disgrace for not selecting him.

Farking shameful effort Lyon.

Get your act together.
WELL MAYB IF COLLINGWOOD LOSE ON FRIDAY NIGHT, HE WILL MAKE A LATE CHANGE AND BRING HIM IN! AND IF COLLINGWOOD WIN AND WE ALSO WIN, HE WILL PLAY HIS LAST GAME IN THE FINALS

Cam1lla
Club Player

i could not agree more

Brian Collis
Club Player

Are we all farking experts or what?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Brian Collis wrote:Are we all farking experts or what?
Not everyone; most are supporters with subjective views who love this club.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

In the selection committees collective mind CJ suits the game plan they are going in with better than Thommo. None of us in this forum are in a position to know what the plan for the game is or how CJ fits in to that. Most of us have preconceived ideas on players and the way the team should play which are different to the coaches views. But we are not the ones who work with these guys 6 days a week so we really have no idea. I have faith in the players & Coaches that club select to play the game and believe they know what they are doing.

I am not saying CJ is a better player than Thommo but i am prepared to back CJ and not cut him after a handful of games. RL has faith in the boy and i will back his judgment since he is our coach!

If the Crows win we will have 3 late changes and all three emergencies will play 2 having their last game and one with his first.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:I guess noone read this by his mate?
killa_gram wrote:Thommo has been told that he will play if the Crows win and will not if the Pies get up. They are waiting to see what happens on Fri night. Unfortunately for Thommo, if we get in the finals it looks like he has already played his last game in a Saints jumper unless there is a massive run of injuries.
I guess that's footy, harsh and crawl it maybe... but I guess that's life
Life is not always fair....

I am not happy the fact he will not get a send off game, its tough, really tough, thommo has been a great player for us and its a real shame.
But I am going to rant on about how its disgraceful it is, RL and the panel have made their decision.
But can I just say I am just a little PO'ed because wasn't he told when he injured himself to do but nothing and rest so he could play round 22 for a send off game?

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
SirDog
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Riewoldting wrote:Any chance he is playing on? :shock:
Love Thommo but I hope not. His time has come.
And mabye that is the opinion of the selectors, hence he is not included.

St.Kilda fan - through and through.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

redwhite&blackblood wrote:In the selection committees collective mind CJ suits the game plan they are going in with better than Thommo. None of us in this forum are in a position to know what the plan for the game is or how CJ fits in to that.

RL has faith in the boy and i will back his judgment since he is our coach!
But it's a weird judgement, however you look at it.

CJ's only apparent strength is that he is a good tackler. But then, that is also one of Thommo's greatest strengths, along with his ability to win and deliver the ball from in and under (something Jones can't do) and his good positional sense (something Jones doesn't have).

Thommo's delivery by foot is a bit suspect: but then, when it comes to CJ, we don't just suspect that his delivery by foot is bad, we are 100% certain about the fact.

I just can't see that CJ gives better value than Thommo in any sense, or under any sort of game plan I can imagine.

They haven't even got the excuse that CJ is a young up-and-comer. He's older than Gram, Luke, Goose, Leigh Fisher and even Dal Santo FFS!!

It's a dud decision: leaving aside any question of it being disrespectful to Thommo (and, personally, I would tend towards the idea of picking your best available team and disregarding sentiment, except that my best available team includes Thommo and omits CJ).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
AlpineStars
Club Player

We have to pick our best team, and at this time Thomo is not in it, he has been super for our club so much so that he would not want to play if it lessoned our chances of winning.

Wake me up when September ends.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

If any of you care to re watch the games thommo has played in this year, he has been nothing more than a liability in ALL of his games. No better than CJ by any means, yet his reputation makes all the bleeding hearts come out and cry for him.

He should have done the HONOURABLE thing and retired 2 years ago along with Aussie Jones. At the height of his reputation and abilities. Unfortunately, he could not see the headlights and has been caught like a rabbit for 18 months.

We are here to win the game... This is not the Andrew Thompson football club. The selections have been made pragmatically, as they should be, and Thommo cannot cut it.

I am not questioning his career, but there is not future for him, not this wek or next. If you watch his games, reputations aside, you will all see his lack of value.. Players like Gwilt, CJ and Armo (as well as Geary) are more value due to their upside..

So, well done RL and the saints for making a hard cut CORRECT call in the best interests of the team. We are here to win the game, not pat people on the back..

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

aussierules0k wrote:... so what? He'll be playing finals ;)

...filthy fingers crossed.
im sure rossy has slipped eddie maguire a few "k" just to confirm collingwoods win tomorrow night! So then when we get into the finals and thommo plays a blinder everyone will be thanking rossy for his selection!

Go saints in '09!
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

andrew thompson and Brett Voss > Birss and Clint Jones.

Voss faster than birss, and clint jones hasn't hit a target this year.

Birss had a spanker against adelaide and h as been mcgough like the rest of the season. CJ's disposal the worst int he senior team to date.

I hope they value their selection and prove me wrong.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

orange-boots wrote:Stop trolling oh when the saints.

Ross made the right decision. Everything the club does is 100% right and perfect.
Wonder who this is :roll:

Your coat will always be brown, mate.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sentiment & passion is what wins you games!

WinnersOnly wrote:I agree totally THOMMO should be playing and named in the starting line up as a sign of respect. There is no way he would let the team down and the blokes would lift around him.

LYON and the match committee have go this terribly wrong. It shows that they do not have a feel for the passion and committment the guy has shown us for the last 10 years.
he might not let the team down and that is all well and good...

HOWEVER....

the team would not lift around andrew thompson...i love and breathe st kilda as much as the next person however we have to look at the big picture and i would rather pump games into a rookie than a 34 year old that is obviously in his last year

who knows what cj could be??? i understand he is the new whipping boy...but wasnt one brendon goddard???and back in the day lenny hayes???

in games of any passion...within the first 30 seconds any thought of passion goes out the window

get a grip people

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote:
redwhite&blackblood wrote:In the selection committees collective mind CJ suits the game plan they are going in with better than Thommo. None of us in this forum are in a position to know what the plan for the game is or how CJ fits in to that.

RL has faith in the boy and i will back his judgment since he is our coach!
But it's a weird judgement, however you look at it.

CJ's only apparent strength is that he is a good tackler. But then, that is also one of Thommo's greatest strengths, along with his ability to win and deliver the ball from in and under (something Jones can't do) and his good positional sense (something Jones doesn't have).

Thommo's delivery by foot is a bit suspect: but then, when it comes to CJ, we don't just suspect that his delivery by foot is bad, we are 100% certain about the fact.

I just can't see that CJ gives better value than Thommo in any sense, or under any sort of game plan I can imagine.

They haven't even got the excuse that CJ is a young up-and-comer. He's older than Gram, Luke, Goose, Leigh Fisher and even Dal Santo FFS!!

It's a dud decision: leaving aside any question of it being disrespectful to Thommo (and, personally, I would tend towards the idea of picking your best available team and disregarding sentiment, except that my best available team includes Thommo and omits CJ).
The only thing i can see is that CJ is quicker and on The bigger ground of the MCG and the way the tiggers have been playing of late that is one thing we know is the game will be fast so maybe that is where Thommo misses out pure leg speed???

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:If any of you care to re watch the games thommo has played in this year, he has been nothing more than a liability in ALL of his games. No better than CJ by any means, yet his reputation makes all the bleeding hearts come out and cry for him.

He should have done the HONOURABLE thing and retired 2 years ago along with Aussie Jones. At the height of his reputation and abilities. Unfortunately, he could not see the headlights and has been caught like a rabbit for 18 months.
Talk about over the top comments.

Thommo played a magnificent game in the EF against the Demons last year. He also played one or two ok games in the AFL this year (I think the early games against the Lions and the Bulldogs in particular) and has torn up the VFL, being a significant contributor to the Scorps' high position on the ladder.

It's more than CJ has ever done, as far as I can see.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

CJ may be quicker, but its no good when he struggles to mark the ball, and kicks it straight to the opposition or out on the full 50% of hte time for his 12 disposals...

CJ is about the same age as monty and way behind on skills as shown so far in the seniors.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
linz
Club Player

orange-boots wrote:Stop trolling oh when the saints.

Ross made the right decision. Everything the club does is 100% right and perfect.
Oh man or troll of much experience with 2 posts. 8-)

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

he has played well in the scorps and one would think a reason for their late-season charge

i have the upmost respect for him as a player as he was not flashy but hard at it and tough - which is something we have lacked

however the tigers game is not going to be won in the trenches or the 'coalface' (the new buzzword for the middle me thinks)

it will be won through the running ability of both teams and whichever forward line dominates

i suspect (and hope) that ours will quite convincingly...and it is expected

however in a few years the tigers are going to have a good backline with thursfield and mcgaune coupled with polak and maybe bowden to float around

maybe its just me or i rate their youngsters...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.