Hudson?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

peter lockwood
Club Player

Hudson?

He,s left the crows,wants to go to the Bullies is he worth a crack?
Talk on Big footy is that we are supposed to be talking to Beau Mcdonald from Brissie!Thoughts?

savatage
SS Life Member

Re: Hudson?

peter lockwood wrote:He,s left the crows,wants to go to the Bullies is he worth a crack?
Talk on Big footy is that we are supposed to be talking to Beau Mcdonald from Brissie!Thoughts?
Oh God no...every year we're linked to Beau McDonald & every year I cringe at the suggestion.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

hudson is 28 and is a short to medium term prospect, I dont know much about him except he wants to go back to the doggies.

mcdonald was going to be the next best thing but years of injury and surgery seems to have taken a toll on his prospects. might be another basket case for the medical rooms or might come good at long last who knows? i can't be bothered looking up his age but must be mid to late 20s now?

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Big Beaumont is not worth chasing IMO. Have watched a fair bit of Brisso over the years, and from what I've seen this season, he plays like a footballer that is very restricted. Would cringe at the thought of him on Cox. Was very good before all his knee injuries, but not now, is 27-28 years old.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Played his best footy in the 70s..but Id think the game has passed him by. Why is he leaving Hawthorn..salary cap issues?

Oh...sorry..you mean BEN Hudson??? ;-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
eppo67
Club Player

If we dont go after Jolly big time. He is our man big time.

Forget about these other hacks please.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

No thanks on both!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
peter lockwood
Club Player

Im not a great fan of Beau either but we all know we need a ruckman so if we dont like these or jolly who do we go for?
I agree we need to draft one to develop with Van Rheenan but that will take time.With Kosi in the forward line and Gardiner with a question mark,do we really want to go into the season with a ruck trio of Rix,Brooks & Blake. :?
Last edited by peter lockwood on Wed 19 Sep 2007 12:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintrod
Club Player

Hudson would be heap better bet than McDonald who is always injured (sounds a bit like another ruck on our list) and appears to have fully recovered from a knee reco.

Hudson would also be easily be the best ruck on our list.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

jolly marginally better tahn average

SHUT UP KRIME!
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

saintrod wrote:Hudson would be heap better bet than McDonald who is always injured (sounds a bit like another ruck on our list) and appears to have fully recovered from a knee reco.

Hudson would also be easily be the best ruck on our list.
I played footy with Ben Hudson up here in Qld before he decided to have a crack at the big time. He was a forward then - it's been awesome watching him make a name for himself in the AFL. Great bloke. Although his kicking for goal was very reminiscent of a certain Stewart Loewe at the same age - even if he marked it in the goal square you'd not be sure whether to zone off or head back to the centre...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Last year same time, we were talking about McDonald. He'd be as bad a bet as Gardiner. No way.
Hudson, well, another one on the decline from a hardly lofty peak. Give 'em both a miss and concentrate on developing young guys or picking up someone with genuine ruck cred. I'd take Jolly.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Hudson is that mobile big man that ironically GT would have given his left one for. Was very good for Crows for most of 2005 & 2006 season.

Had that knee injury late 2006 and he only returned late this year. Looks like there were no long term residual effects.

Probably only 3 - 4 years left in him - which will give use enough time to develop Van Reehan or any other ruckman picked up in upcoming draft.

I'd make a pitch for him

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Beau McDonald would have to be gifted to us on a platter and cost us next to nothing.

Hudson, on the other hand, would be a great pick up. Out of contract, a knee injury has lowered his value but you still feel he's got three-four years of solid rucking left in him, especially as he didn't start until he was 24.

I'd prefer Hudson over, say, Jolly, mostly because the price on Hudson will be well below his actual value.

Hudson's rucking in 2004-05 was only second to Cox, and in 2007, he missed just one game.

With clouds still hanging over Gardiner and develop concerns (that he's still so green) over Van Rheenan and the knowledge Kosi will be our FF next year, we need an instant winner (the ruck is one position where you can afford to do exactly that) who isn't finished like M Clarke was.

That buys another three years to develop Van Rheenan, time to get Gardiner right, without putting pressure on Brooks. It also gives us the chance to draft a ruckman and develop him, and maybe another ruckman too.

As such, it's something of a short-term fix which opens up long-term opportunities - because, let's face it, we don't have a 21-22 year old whop can currently step into the breach, and there aren't any available on the open market.

So let's get Hudson, by some time, and in the mean time, enjoy three-four years of excellent rucking service.
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 19 Sep 2007 2:43pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Beau Mac, was looked at last year.

Do we want another sub standard ruckman on our list?

Hudson, let him go to the dogs.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Hudson is not that good and players dont go for under ther value, unless salary cap issues arise. To think that a club could sneak under another clubs radar and get one of there players cheaper than what there worth is ridiculous.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

McDonald is a worse ruckman than Rix.

Statistically the same over his career and hardly wins any of the ball around the ground.

Has not had double figures disposals in a game since 2003 ...

No point in drafting him.

Hudson is good but old ... would prefer if we stuck with BB.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Richter
SS Life Member

Dan Warna wrote:jolly marginally better tahn average
You may be right Dan, I haven't seen enough of him to have much of a view. However, for us "marginally better than average" is a hell of an improvement on what we have in the ruck.....

Rix - VFL GOP

Gardiner - Dodgy feet

Kosi - one of the great contested marks in the league, good in the midfield, but below average in the ruck. Really is suited to that CHF/FF/2nd ruckman rotating position.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:McDonald is a worse ruckman than Rix.

Statistically the same over his career and hardly wins any of the ball around the ground.

Has not had double figures disposals in a game since 2003 ...

No point in drafting him.

Hudson is good but old ... would prefer if we stuck with BB.
the logic of drafting a middle aged ruckman (mid 20s) till VR comes good is the same logic we used with knobel/hackland etc.

:(

I would love to have the next dean cox tapping down to judd/ball/harvey/NDS/gram etc etc...

SHUT UP KRIME!
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374050

lol probably worth about a round 3 pick or a gop for a gop but if true will be fun and games.

footscray hunted rawlings to their dismay and lost picks and got nothing in return in the veale logarithm.

SHUT UP KRIME!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Hudson is a very good ruckman. Definitely in the top 8 in the comp. Good in the hitouts, moves around the ground well, has good skills and has a physical presence. If we could have a combo of Hudson and Gardiner rucking for us next year it would be one of the best ruck teams in the league.

I would be very reluctant to give up our second pick for him, but a third rounder wouldn't be enough and I don't think we would have any tradable players of interest to Adelaide. They still have 5 ruckmen on the list even without Hudson and have plenty of medium/tall defenders.

In the end I suppose I would be willing to trade pick 26 for Hudson.

McDonald is not worth a spot on the list.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

on a completely unrelated topic...

what is it with the doggies drafting or looking at sub-standard talls to fix their glaring, obvious problems

mcdougal

mcgregor

hudson

not to mention all the crap they already have down footscray way...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Last year same time, we were talking about McDonald. He'd be as bad a bet as Gardiner. No way.
Hudson, well, another one on the decline from a hardly lofty peak. Give 'em both a miss and concentrate on developing young guys or picking up someone with genuine ruck cred. I'd take Jolly.

Whoa......buddy......ease up on the avatars would ya!

Keep them down to regulation size or they muck up the forum.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.