luke vogels

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

luke vogels

luke who many of you may be asking

he was just delisted by swans

is a big go to type player, who never got a go at the swans, would play a game every 6 weeks, get 40 minutes of game time and then get dropped next week

can take a mark, is competitive and well worth a look at in the draft I would think

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

RL would be the man to decide if e was worth looking at..

from memory, has onl played 1 really influential game and im not sure we need another slow GOP to nest in caseys forward line.

Unless RL sees a lot of potential in him, i dont think he is worth looking at.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
fingers
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:RL would be the man to decide if e was worth looking at..
actually I think Ben C would be the best man to decide if "e" was worth looking at. BOOM BOOM

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Ben's problems wont be solved by next season he is at least a full 12months away from being OK. By then he's 30 nearing 31. Not worth the trouble, even if the AFL gave the OK for it to happen which is very unlikely at this stage.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

cousins won't play afl again, this is almost a given.
Thos thread was started on Luke Vogels, so by all means, carry on.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
fingers
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:cousins won't play afl again, this is almost a given.
Thos thread was started on Luke Vogels, so by all means, carry on.
I think my attempt at humour has thrown people.

super dooper
Club Player

Re: luke vogels

terry smith rules wrote:luke who many of you may be asking

is a big go to type player, who never got a go at the swans, would play a game every 6 weeks, get 40 minutes of game time and then get dropped next week

can take a mark, is competitive and well worth a look at in the draft I would think
May have a big body but is slow and id say no one will touch him with a ten foot pole imo

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Had his time, wasn't up to it.

Surprised they kept him as long as they did.

I'd rather rookie Fergus Watts.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

NO!!

He is a very soft player and not up to AFL standard.

I would rather have kept Barry Brooks or Fergus Watts insted of getting Vogels :roll:

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Not up to it. Should be taking new players who might become quality players rather than recycled players who can do nothing more than add depth.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

He's like 25 isn't he?
If he hasn't done anything by this point it would be doubtful that he ever will....

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

watched him play in the actafl grandfinal.........one of the best on the ground.....the boy can play.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:

watched him play in the actafl grandfinal.........one of the best on the ground.....the boy can play.....
I reckon I could be one of the best on ground playing in the ACTAFL :roll:

Very poor league and thats why the Swans are looking at joining the VFL. Sydney said themselves that its not even a challenge for their players playing in the ACTAFL, so saying that Vogels was one of the best on ground is nothing special.

super dooper
Club Player

LTN16 wrote:
stinger wrote:

Very poor league and thats why the Swans are looking at joining the VFL. Sydney said themselves that its not even a challenge for their players playing in the ACTAFL, so saying that Vogels was one of the best on ground is nothing special.
Exactly its a very weak league - i cant remember who it was, but some second rate swans player got 58 touches in a game for their reserves. You really have to question the comp.

Perhaps if he was kicking 8-10 goals a game, but obviously hasnt done that.

Why is it that when someone gets delisted clubs think they can get something out of them?

There is a reason why people get delisted, if they had any value on the market they would have been traded, simple as that.

Its pretty rare that someone is delisted and turns into a good player.
I can think of 1 player - Josh Mahoney who had 1 good season and got what he was after,other than that its hard to think of players who have performed CONSISTENTLY after being delisted.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

super dooper wrote: Why is it that when someone gets delisted clubs think they can get something out of them?

There is a reason why people get delisted, if they had any value on the market they would have been traded, simple as that.
I agree that is exactly right :wink:

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Ross has a new policy........

NO MORE DUDS

:lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:
stinger wrote:

and exactly how many bog's have you got...and in what competition.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Lenny_Hayes7
Club Player

Iv'e had at least 2 today! 8-)

casey scorp
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:He's like 25 isn't he?
If he hasn't done anything by this point it would be doubtful that he ever will....
Not suggesting for a minute that Vogels would make the grade, but I wouldn't write off everyone who's 25 and hasn't done anything yet.

Andrew Thompson! How quickly we forget. 25 when he debuted, and ended up playing over 200 games.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:Not suggesting for a minute that Vogels would make the grade, but I wouldn't write off everyone who's 25 and hasn't done anything yet.

Andrew Thompson! How quickly we forget. 25 when he debuted, and ended up playing over 200 games.
Thommo was an anomaly and was untried at the highest level until he was 24. Of the hundreds of quality players who have been in the competition since the mid 90's I think Thommo is probably the only one who debuted at 24.

Vogels has been on Sydney's list for three years and struggled to get a game while they have terrible key defenders and Hall as their only true tall forward.

If he can't get a game ahead of the likes of Richards and Grundy then he won't get a game anywhere else.

I know that you weren't advocating drafting Vogels, but the Thompson case should be forgotten in modern footy (unless you are talking about a freakish athlete who is new to the game). The very professional underage comps and huge numbers of AFL scouts arond these days mean that decent players will be at an AFL club by age 21 at the latest.

casey scorp
Club Player

I was just celebrating an unusual and wonderful career.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

good debate about Vogels

couple of points

one of the swans biggest problems is that for two years 05 and 06 they hardly had any turnover in their team with no injuries etc

therefore their players ranked 23-30 got hardly any game time and as someone mentioned their reserves comp is so weak that the players playing reserves did not get a strong hit out. This meant that when they did get their chance in the seniors they were often seen to flounder.

This policy of no rotation is now coming back to bite the swans in spades, witness teams like the pies and port who in 07 were willing to mix up the squad to give lots of players a go.

Yes Vogels is 25 and may not be quick but he is a good sized player who in 05 just missed out on a gf berth, he has been around a successful club and during 05-06 would eaily have got games in half the other teams.

There are not that many players around at 194cm who are ready made to play and get a solid 5-6 years out of.

of course the bottom line it is a calculated gamble.

fqf