unlisted players permitted to train - update

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

unlisted players permitted to train - update

http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/News/N ... wsId=53117

"Seven more unlisted players permitted to train
12:01 PM Mon 12 November, 2007 | Back

Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

News
LAST WEEK the AFL announced the line-up of unlisted players who have been given permission to train with AFL clubs. On Monday, seven new players were added to the list. These new additions have been underlined.

The list is:

Adelaide - nil

Brisbane Lions - Patrick Garner (Brisbane Lions); William Hamill (Brisbane Lions rookie)

Carlton - Michael Shields (County Cork, Ireland)

Collingwood - Kevin Dyas (County Armagh, Ireland); Ryan Colbert (Old Xavierians); Daniel Nichols (Collingwood rookie); Michael Griffiths (East Fremantle); James Wall (St Kilda rookie)
Essendon - nil

Fremantle - Kepler Bradley (Essendon); Blake Broadhurst (Subiaco); Clayton Collard (Fremantle); Brad Dalziell (East Fremantle); Ryley Dunn (Fremantle); Kyal Horsley (Subiaco); Calib Mourish (Fremantle)

Geelong - nil

Hawthorn - James Allen (Box Hill Hawks); Luke Barker (Box Hills Hawks); Nathan Batsanis (Port Adelaide rookie); Brett Collins (Hawthorn rookie); Adam Iacobucci (Northern Bullants); Tom Langford (Port Melbourne); Lukas Markovic (Box Hill Hawks); Ben Sharp (West Coast Eagles rookie); Callum Urch (Kangaroos)

Kangaroos - Jarrod Bannister (Northern Bullants); David Trotter, Kangaroos; James Wilsen (St George)

Melbourne - Daniel Hughes (Melbourne rookie); Alister Neville (Coburg); Ashley Sampi (West Coast); Jonathan Simpkin (Sydney); Peter Summers (Sandringham); Shane Valenti (Sandringham)

Port Adelaide - Jesse Aish (Norwood); Lachlan Button (Glenelg); Tom Carroll (South Adelaide); Ryan Darling (Sturt); Aaron Day (Glenelg); Sam Fairclough (Woodville West Torrens); Nathan Grima (Central Districts); Daniel Havelberg (Central Districts); Matthew Jaensch (Sturt); Luke Jarrad (Woodville West Torrens); Scott Luders (West Adelaide); Alan Obst (Central Districts); Steve Wenman (West Adelaide)

Richmond - Joe Gazzo (Coburg); Andrew Horne (Coburg); Cam Howat (Richmond rookie); Lachlan McKinnon (Essendon rookie); Carl Peterson (Richmond); Darren Pfeiffer (Adelaide); Jarrod Silvester (Coburg)

St Kilda - Rohan Bell (Mt Gravatt); Michael Barlow (Shepparton United); Ben Woods (Riverview)

Sydney - Brendan Murphy (County Carlow, Ireland); Matt O'Dwyer (Sydney); Jake Orreal (no previous club); Sam Rowe (Sydney)

West Coast - Ashley Thornton (West Coast Eagles rookie); Beau Wilkes (West Coast Eagles rookie)

Western Bulldogs - Cameron Lockwood (Williamstown); Scott Meyer (Williamstown); Liam Picken (Williamstown); Patrick Rose (Williamstown); Ryan Williams (La Trobe)"

this was Colin wisbey's idea of james wall.

"Wall:
199cm, 85kg (approx)
Great trier who is very accountable and a terrific team player but is way too slow and skinny. Lack of strength renders him "rag doll"-like on many occasions. Will always be skinny and will always be slow. I'd love him to do well, such is his ethic. However, very poor pace, acceleration and strength render him unsuitable for AFL IMHO. Fundamentally he fails my "What AFL role?" criteria.

Kicking too unreliable. Sometimes the cause is not kicking per se but the fact that he is so slow off the mark and has such a slow kicking action that is goes from having time to being under pressure by the team he is about to connect. Nevertheless, too many inexcusable turnovers.

Reads the play and the ball well and is fairly clean

Way too slow for AFL when you also seriously lack the strength or agility to withstand physical pressure or create space.

Excellent ethic - chases, blocks, 2nd efforts, is courageous, etc."
[/b]

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Michael Griffiths (East Fremantle) hes a handy player collingwood could do worst to pick him up

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Michael Griffiths (East Fremantle) hes a handy player collingwood could do worst to pick him up
James Wall is also training with Collingwood.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i never saw wall play so i cant comment on the kid but griffith is a good player

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Griffiths is pretty old, would be 25 or 26 at the moment.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Griffiths is pretty old, would be 25 or 26 at the moment.
25 here is colin wisbey on griffith

http://www.voy.com/51976/101371662.html

from the collingwood board
Griffiths:
206cm, 100kg (approx) ruck. Played U18s with Dandenong Stingrays in 2001 (team mate of Paul Johnson's), and trialled for the Vic Metro side that year, then went to Glenelg (SANFL) in 2002 and played Seniors there in 2003 but played 2005 in Reserves then went to E Freo after 2005. Very good WAFL Seniors form (ruck) since then.

Invited to 2003 state screening session when playing for Glenelg but, not suprisingly, returned a poor beep test and a shocking 20m time.

Been a steady improver over the years and a big improver since 2005.

As an 18yo, Michael was very immature (in the non-physical sense) for his age and was slow, awkward (even allowing for the fact he was still growing into his body), and a slow thinker but was excellent at hitouts and not too bad around the ground either (although often had hard hands). Had a disconcerting habit of not listening at the 1/4, 3/4 time huddles (not arrogance, just regularly distracted through poor powers of concentration). Used to do too much spectating and still does (for AFL).

Originally from Rowville, came from a financially disadvantaged background and had to do it tough compared to many other kids so I would love to see him drafted for his own sake.

Griffiths is very team orientated and has had a very good '06 WAFL season for the bottom team, averaging 11 disposals, 4 marks and 22 hitouts (4th best in the WAFL for hitouts per game). Woewodin got good supply from Griffiths all year. Good '07 WAFL. Griffiths is a long kick who was prone as an U18 to more than occasional shocking kicks but has improved greatly in that area, as he has with marking, over the years. I still wouldn't class his kicking or marking (against strong opposition) as particularly reliable though. He is much better at ball-ups, especially centre bounce, than at throw-ins. I think throw-ins require a bit more guile and that is not Michael's strong suit.

He loves his footy and is apparently a likeable, easy-going young man.

Regrettably, I'm not convinced he is made for the intensity of an AFL environment (on and off-field) and for sophisticated game plans. At 206cm, he is overall a very good tap ruck but not the type to be running up and down the field as the current style of AFL footy demands. I'm also not convinced he is all that well equipped to handle the scrutiny pressure and nastiness that AFL players can get subjected to.

Turns 25 in April '08.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

thats a fair assesment of him he did help the likes of wowodin to get first bite at the ball unsure about the hard hands coment i though he had a nice touch to him but does go missing for stretches during the game but for a team who has fraser as the no.1 ruck collingwood could do alot worse then him

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i never saw wall play so i cant comment on the kid but griffith is a good player
Seemed to have a fair opinion of Brooks....?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i never saw wall play so i cant comment on the kid but griffith is a good player
i saw brooks play
he was s*** !! he got delisted i am happy .
funny in all that lists of delisted players asked to train at other clubs i dont see your hero, the man who will be an All australian as soon as a coach decides to play him Mr Fantastic Mr Brooks... whos he training with ?? oh no one thats right cause the rest of the AFL know hes s*** as well !!!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Where is Fergus training,or has he been wiped completely

:shock:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Spinner wrote:
i saw brooks play
funny in all that lists of delisted players asked to train at other clubs i dont see your hero, the man who will be an All australian as soon as a coach decides to play him Mr Fantastic Mr Brooks... whos he training with ?? oh no one thats right cause the rest of the AFL know hes s*** as well !!!
Very true.

Sometimes a man has to admit he isn't right....Or on the other hand, just realize that EVERYONE else is wrong. :lol:

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

garner is getting rookied after his multiple knee reco's

source: garner

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Behind Play
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:Where is Fergus training,or has he been wiped completely

Rumour has it he may be going bayside to follow ex team mate.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:

whats that mean?

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Spinner wrote:
i saw brooks play
Very true.

Sometimes a man has to admit he isn't right....Or on the other hand, just realize that EVERYONE else is wrong. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Is there any chance we use either of our last two rookie spots on any of the three guys training with us? Did we train any of our rookie picks last year?

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Attars, I believe trained with us prior to the drafts.

Behind Play
Club Player

saintly wrote:
Behind Play wrote:

whats that mean?
Sorrento

spiral2
Club Player

n1ck wrote:Attars, I believe trained with us prior to the drafts.
true, along with Tom Roach & maybe one other???

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

*should be Attard :)