Demetriou's Denials Don't Change The Facts - Today's Crikey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St George
Club Player

Demetriou's Denials Don't Change The Facts - Today's Crikey

Demetriou's denials don't change the facts
Charles Happell writes:

Before we break for Christmas pudding, a glass of sherry and an afternoon snooze in the rocking chair, let’s get one thing straight: the Crikey story on Monday which revealed how the AFL was death-riding the Kangaroos was absolutely spot-on.

Don’t be fooled by the lame attempts at denial coming out of AFL HQ, or the frenzy of damage control being done by its army of spin doctors. AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou wants the Roos out of the picture so the League can seamlessly introduce a new team from the Gold Coast, if not by 2010 then some time soon afterwards. A major facility at Runaway Bay has been earmarked as the new club’s home. The Roos’ decision to spurn the AFL’s offer of relocation to the Gold Coast has, in Demetriou’s words, played right into the league’s hands.

Demetriou has called the Crikey story "complete rubbish"; AFL Players Association chief Brendon Gale thought it "absolute rubbish". At least the spin doctors have got them singing from the same page.

But they know, as well as I do, what was said in the Montague Park café in South Melbourne last Thursday and they know how damaging these revelations are now they are out in the public domain. Any AFL move now that obviously discriminates against the Roos will be seen through the prism of that discussion, and surely come under heavy scrutiny.

It’s amazing what falls out of a tree if you shake it hard enough. Soon after the Crikey story appeared, details emerged from a meeting Demetriou had with Kangaroos directors on October 31, the day the Herald Sun announced the Roos would refuse the League’s Gold Coast offer. Enraged at being snubbed, just when he though he had the deal over the line, Demetriou went into the meeting and tore strips off the Kangaroos’ directors for being incompetent – even worse than those at Melbourne, he said – and issued the veiled threat that the AFL’s financial support of the Roos was not inexhaustible. Some directors were shocked at the ferocity of the attack.

The Herald Sun, which has consistently applied intellectual rigour to the debate over the Kangaroos’ future, followed up the Crikey story and ran it on the back page on Tuesday – despite protestations from the AFL.

Gale said last week the Montague Park chat about the Kangaroos lasted five minutes; this week he had cut that back to just two minutes, and it occurred only as he and Demetriou were standing up to leave.

His role in this episode begs one or two questions. Here’s the union chief, the working-class hero and man of the people, who is in discussions with the boss man, the employer, about the imminent demise of one of Victoria’s 10 clubs. That’s potentially 40 or so of Gale’s union members without a job.

No-one suggested he has been complicit in this behind-the-scenes deathriding, because there is no suggestion he knew anything of Demetriou’s plans until being told about them on Thursday. Indeed, Gale said little in the café, just listened – perhaps with incredulity – as Demetriou brazenly outlined his vision.

But Gale is now most certainly aware of the AFL’s scheming. So the question is: what’s he planning to do about it? It’s great to have a cosy relationship with Demetriou but there comes a time when the red flags have to come out, heels have to be dug in and the workers protected. It would be a bad look indeed if the AFLPA stood by now – gormlessly – while the league went about its euthenasing of the Roos.

Christmas has come at a fortunate time for Demetriou, Gale, the league and its embattled phalanx of PR types. Everyone will take a holiday, this unseemly talk will die down, pre-season training camps will dominate the sports pages after January then the league can get on with its business next year.

But for the Roos’ chairman James Brayshaw and his new board of directors, somehow Christmas turkey this year will seem slightly chewier than normal.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

you reckon crikey will be off the AFL's Xmas card list this year ??

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I'm loving crikey more and more each day!

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

Wonder if Gale will continue to deny the discussion took place in his support of Demitriou. He, Gale, is now caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.
Could be the undoing of Demitriou totally.
Watch this space - and the Herald Sun.

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Some people on here amaze me. Writers are pigs and scum and write lies when talking about Saints players but when it is about the AFL this writer is saying the truth. I for one would trust Brendan Gale over a writer whose mates apparently overheard a story that makes no sense at all.

But of course no one will agree because the AFL are the scum this time even though they run the most succesful competition in Australia and because of how successful it is more and more new stadiums are being built around Australia.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

So since only three people have posted comments, then by 'some people' it is either Go Sretnias Go, St Trav or me you are amazed by.

Frankly, I am not surprised you are amazed at me. I amaze myself each morning in the mirror, but that's another story.

So according to you, Andy is totally in the clear on this one?

Cool, glad to have that sorted. Can you take care of the Sudan next?

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:I'm loving crikey more and more each day!
i have loved them from the start...was free at first..now you have top subscribe...but it is well worth it......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger is obviously on the AFL payroll, SEN.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Even if fake, it is a good article for the roos, in any sense.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Whether this story is fact, fiction or somewhere in between it has made the plight of Nth Melbourne that much more predictable for 2008, and possibly 2009 and beyond.

The theory that the AFL is out to get rid of them will produce a substantial sympathy vote for 2008 with many non-Nth supporters buying a Nth membership to help the battler or to stick it up city hall or a bit of both.

This could in turn create a false confidence for 2009 and beyond when all these "Sympathy Members" won't renew their Nth memberships

The bottom line is that Nth will survive and appear to almost prospor in 2008. It is 2009 and beyond where they could find themselves in more trouble than they can get themselves out of. That is when the AFL will allow them to whilt on the vine.

At that time they will be a whole lot further down the track in establishing a replacement team on the Gold Coast !!

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Charles Happell has a pretty good name as a journo ... certainly, he wouldn't put his credibility on the line with a story like this if there wasn't a fair bit of substance to it IMO.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Huzzad
Club Player

Would be nice too to see a little less bias from the author. All this mud-flinging and subjectivity is doing little to prove to anyone that the story could be true. While I agree it could be possible that Dem said that stuff, the way the author has written it and most importantly the rebuttal, sounds like some High School Newspaper Editorial than an article, even if it is from Crikey

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Fun story, zero new substance. Very Herald Sun. I liked the bit about "intellectual rigour" being applied by that paper. He tells his story well.

I have no doubt of the authors sincerity actually in this case, he writes for Crikey, not a weekly AFL column struggling for material right now. What I do take with a lot of salt is anything reported hearsay, or having any potential for Chinese whispers.

Good reading over coffee though before all the juices were flowing this morning.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
stinger
Saintsational Legend

e-mail i got from crickey....

"Dear Sole Subscriber,

On Monday, Crikey published an account of a conversation between AFL chief Andrew Demetriou and the code's player association head Brendan Gale. They had discussed what Demetriou assured Gale over coffee was the impending demise of the North Melbourne football club. Good story.

Prior to publication there was a discussion with the author, former Age sports editor and Crikey regular Charles Happell. Should we take our account of the conversation to Demetriou for comment? We decided that no, there was little point. Demetriou's denial of a conversation that would cause controversy and awkward discomfort was inevitable. For our part we were entirely confident of the veracity of the account. Still are. And we have been entirely unsurprised by the strength and determined tone of the denials.

The whole process tells us a lot about the conduct of public life. Never admit, always deny. Run the untruth until overwhelmed by events. It's a sad commentary, but it seems to be something of a universal convention.

markp
Saintsational Legend

I've got to say i believe the story and find it totally plausible... what part can't people imagine coming from the lips and mind of that arrogant bully?

Did anyone believe Dementriou was anything other than chocking on his public words about supporting North Melbourne in their decision?

Look up hubris in the dictionary and you'll find a photo of he.

Huzzad
Club Player

I guess the thing that makes it not so plausable is that AD would have to be one of the stupidest men alive to have a conversation like that in a public palce where he can be heard. Behind closed doors I can certainly imagine that conversation happening, but the fact it happened where it did is suspicious. I am pretty sure anyone in a powerful position in the AFL would want to keep their job and not act like a tool in public and disclose a personal oppinion which could see someone like him sacked.

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
markp
Saintsational Legend

He's far from stupid, just breathtakingly arrogant (and a little unlucky about who overheard), and it's not like he's the head of ASIO spilling national secrets. It happens.

Crikey are reputable and backing this... has there been any serious threat of legal action?

Let's see if things like this stadium pan out. Says a lot about Gale too, puppet.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:e-mail i got from crickey....

The whole process tells us a lot about the conduct of public life. Never admit, always deny. Run the untruth until overwhelmed by events. It's a sad commentary, but it seems to be something of a universal convention.
brilliantly said.

Dimwit is a massive coward and can't stand to ever admit he's wrong.

I hope the evil tyrant had a miserable New Year......fingers crossed he was picked up drink driving!!! (no, I'm not saying I heard he was, just hoping, OK mods???)

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
stinger wrote:e-mail i got from crickey....

brilliantly said.

Dimwit is a massive coward and can't stand to ever admit he's wrong.

I hope the evil tyrant had a miserable New Year......fingers crossed he was picked up drink driving!!! (no, I'm not saying I heard he was, just hoping, OK mods???)
The original post is spot on. Demetriou could have been the Tory Prime Minister that was sacked in 2007 by the Australian public.

too bad we cant vote on Dementriou, the guy is a tryant.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Huzzad
Club Player

markp wrote:He's far from stupid, just breathtakingly arrogant (and a little unlucky about who overheard), and it's not like he's the head of ASIO spilling national secrets. It happens.
No it is not ASIO, but if they actually had a recording of this, undisputed evidence or something, AD would most likely be out of a job or called to resign. His reputation would be forever shattered. So, it is really stupid to have a conversation of this nature in a public place where an article like this could be written.

Security is a huge part of the AFL. It would be the same if corperate business secrets got out. Do you see board meetings taking place in a crowded cafe? No, they are done behind closed doors.
Remember what happened when channel 7 got those medical documents? They might have been private, and definatly not national secrets, but they could have severly tarnished careers and public images of the players involved, not to mention the AFL itself. And if anyone actually recorded the AD conversation, then his job would definatly be in trouble. So it was a very stupid move.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Huzzad wrote:
markp wrote:He's far from stupid, just breathtakingly arrogant (and a little unlucky about who overheard), and it's not like he's the head of ASIO spilling national secrets. It happens.
No it is not ASIO, but if they actually had a recording of this, undisputed evidence or something, AD would most likely be out of a job or called to resign. His reputation would be forever shattered. So, it is really stupid to have a conversation of this nature in a public place where an article like this could be written.

Security is a huge part of the AFL. It would be the same if corperate business secrets got out. Do you see board meetings taking place in a crowded cafe? No, they are done behind closed doors.
Remember what happened when channel 7 got those medical documents? They might have been private, and definatly not national secrets, but they could have severly tarnished careers and public images of the players involved, not to mention the AFL itself. And if anyone actually recorded the AD conversation, then his job would definatly be in trouble. So it was a very stupid move.

are you andy's best mate...if such a creature exists...or are you andy himself.....????...give it a rest would you...the guy got caught red=handed...the crickey journo has more cred than andy has...ffs......
Last edited by stinger on Thu 03 Jan 2008 12:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

Huzzad
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Huzzad wrote:

are you andy's best mate...if such a creature exists...or are you andy himself.....????...give it a reat would you...the guy got caught red=handed...the crickey journo has more cred than andy has...ffs......
What on earth are you talking about? I was calling AD stupid and explaining why what he said was stupid. Unfortunatly without audio evidence, AD can deny it all he wants, that was all I was pointing out. If there was audio, then AD would most likely have his job on the line by now. Please try to read my posts more carefully in the future.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Sorry Huzzard, I'm not saying it wasn't a foolish thing to do, of course it was (though he may get some conceited joy in having them know he's coming for them). I just think it's believable that he would have that conversation in a cafe, perhaps forgetting where he is, or thinking no one was listening, or even that it was just a cafe full of "nobody's" and he is Mr Bigtime deciding the fate of the universe... maybe he was trying to impress a waitress too.

I believe the story is entirely plausible, he is that much of a "tool".

The Peanut
Club Player

Huzzad wrote: ... Unfortunatly without audio evidence, AD can deny it all he wants, that was all I was pointing out. If there was audio, then AD would most likely have his job on the line by now. Please try to read my posts more carefully in the future.
My understanding is that even if the person listening had an audio recorder it's outside the law to use it without informing them first - therefore, for all we know there is an audio record of the conversation - the details were so concise that the first thing I thought of was that it must have been recorded. Many journo's wouldn't even go to the loo without their recorder.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:
Huzzad wrote: ... Unfortunatly without audio evidence, AD can deny it all he wants, that was all I was pointing out. If there was audio, then AD would most likely have his job on the line by now. Please try to read my posts more carefully in the future.
My understanding is that even if the person listening had an audio recorder it's outside the law to use it without informing them first - therefore, for all we know there is an audio record of the conversation - the details were so concise that the first thing I thought of was that it must have been recorded. Many journo's wouldn't even go to the loo without their recorder.
Image :lol: :lol: :lol:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/