Full-Back

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintwill66
Club Player

Full-Back

All going well the Saints appear to heading into the 2008 season with a formidable list, far superior to recent seasons that we all felt had so much promise........

The addition of Steven King, combined with a strong likelihood that Michael Gardiner will finally be fit to play will give the Saints a ruck combination not seen at Moorabbin for years, and it is the lack of a strong and experienced ruck division that has arguably cost this club one or more premierships in the past 5 years - IMO!

The only KP weakness that lingers in 2008 is Full-Back where Max Hudghton, a real club stalwart, is still the best option - but heroic as he is, this club stalwart has been injury-prone and at 31 is well past his prime. It is really expecting too much for him to hold gun forwards like Matthew Pavlich, Quenten Lynch, Cameron Mooney, all capable of winning games off their own boots. It is one thing for St Kilda to boast the best tall forward line (Gehrig, Riewoldt, Koschitzke) in the competition, but in tight contests it is defence lines that win matches, and this still remains the Saints biggest unresolved challenge.

I have no doubt that St Kilda's coaching panel will have this matter in hand, and it will be interesting to see who they trial in the FB position in the pre-season lead up - Charlie Gardiner (190cm), Brendon Goddard (191 Jarryd Allen (192) must all be in contention.

esaint66
SS Life Member

well according to the 2007 afl prospectus in 2006 max hudgton played 21 games and it states that in the home and away season maxy only conceded 23 goals the least out of any regular full backs that season. so if he stays fit and plays around 17 - 20 odd games this season he might be able to recreate that because in the stats he seems to be getting better with time excluding last season.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Full-Back

saintwill66 wrote:I have no doubt that St Kilda's coaching panel will have this matter in hand, and it will be interesting to see who they trial in the FB position in the pre-season lead up - Charlie Gardiner (190cm), Brendon Goddard (191 Jarryd Allen (192) must all be in contention.
add gilbert to that list. deceptively strong and quick. imo he can play just about anywhere, including midfield

Saints94
SS Life Member

don't think charlie would get the

thumbs up

esaint66
SS Life Member

homework wrote:don't think charlie would get the

thumbs up

yeh totally agree
if i was to play charlie anywhere it would be in a goddard like roll or just in the foward line taking over sammys roll.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

In 07 he still kept Barry Hall to zip at Olympic Park, groin injury or not, Barry's a tough thug to play on and he also did a great job on the big Q at Subiaco. Even the brief bursts he played on Fev were impressive. I've often seen Maxie as arguably the most underrated defenders in the comp.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:In 07 he still kept Barry Hall to zip at Olympic Park, groin injury or not, Barry's a tough thug to play on and he also did a great job on the big Q at Subiaco. Even the brief bursts he played on Fev were impressive. I've often seen Maxie as arguably the most underrated defenders in the comp.
max i great but seriously i do also fear for life after max there is no real stand out replacement for him

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
aussiejones
Club Player

Goddard

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

In some kind of rough order of possibility to replace Max at FB.

Current Players.
Gilbert
Dempster
Gwilt
Maguire
Goddard

Youngsters.
Miles
Chivers
Allen
Haretuku

Some say Chivers is a better prospect than Miles, but I think he'll be more of a key forward. Miles is closer to peak age and has the physical attributes required for a modern day full back.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

expect a fully fit maguire to develop into a stay at home power-forward-taking fullback...its just that he has had 18 months out of the game really not even playing close to his full potential due to the obvious

fully fit our backline is the most underrated in the league and one of the best...not many teams boast three quality key defenders in maxy, s.fish and goose

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

I doubt we'll throw any of our kids into the FB spot unless we're completely mauled by injuries. If Max gets hurt, then Goose and Sam Fisher will probably take the KP roles as they have the last few years when Max has missed for whatever reason. Blake, Gram and Gwilt all played in key defence at some point this year. Raph and Ferg have in the past. There's a lot of better options than throwing to a first gamer into one of the toughest positions.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Sam23
SS Life Member

Please don't waste Gilbert as a Full back.

A pure winger/midfielder imo

Don't waste Goddard their either.

Goddard.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

How would it be a waste, would you rather we get 10 goals kicked on us by a full forward? have teams giggling at us laughing at the fact that their "bomb it long to the full forward" strategy works against us?

Full Back is one of the most important positions on the ground, certainly more important from an individuals point of view than midfield/wing.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

i want to see bj playing in the midfield and at chf

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Some say Chivers is a better prospect than Miles, but I think he'll be more of a key forward.
Chivers has stated that he wants to be a midfielder.
Please don't waste Gilbert as a Full back.

While I do agree that Gilbert shouldn't be groomed as a permanent key defender, a quality full back is far more valuable than a wingman. Most good full backs now provide important drive out of defence and hurt the opposition if left unchecked. No longer will a full back just stand in the goalsquare next to the full forward and try to get a few spoils in. With Gilbert's height and athletisism he could potentially be a decent negator and a good rebounder at full back.

But I think that he will always be a utility. If we are short down back then he can play there, if we need some run in the midfield he can play as an onballer and if our forward line needs a spark he can bag a quick goal or two.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Otiman wrote:Some say Chivers is a better prospect than Miles, but I think he'll be more of a key forward.
Chivers has stated that he wants to be a midfielder.
In all fairness, that decision is not up to him.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Sam23 wrote:Please don't waste Gilbert as a Full back.

While I do agree that Gilbert shouldn't be groomed as a permanent key defender, a quality full back is far more valuable than a wingman.
Jeez...how valuble are Glass and Scarlett? How much better are we when Max is in the team?

Can't even believe that it's being suggested as a waste. Mark my words, if Gilbert was good enough to be a FB full-time, I'd have him there now, learning the trade.

But I don't think he is. Right now, he's a third tall defender/runner/winger, and unless he beefs up, this is what he'll stay.
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 30 Jan 2008 8:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

esaint66
SS Life Member

this is why we needed penny a bit earlier.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saint edward wrote:this is why we needed penny a bit earlier.
penny was useless...couldnt do a damn thing

saintwill66
Club Player

An important point to remember when considering an understudy for Max is that the Saints have arguably the best FB of the modern era as Assistant Coach. It would be interesting to question Ross Lyon about Sos' role in identifying and grooming a new FB, and to learn who the leading contenders might be.

I agree with the comment about Maguire because he has on a number of occasions made spectacular and damaging forays into the forward line, a role that is both exhilarating to watch, and devastating for the opposition coaches. I don't have a problem with Goose going FB, except that I'm not sure if his athletic defensive skills man-on-man are quite there yet against the likes of Mooney and Pavlich who are both lightning fast and bloody strong in the clenches.

As someone else posted, FB is the most important KP in today's game and it has to be top priority for the Saints to groom a successor to Max in 2008. - it's a necessity, not a luxury.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Do any of you actually think Gilbert will be Max' successor at FB though? I don't think so. He's played about 15 games at AFL level and if he's ever played on a key forward, I can't remember the occasion. He's also been named in several games where we were missing key defenders. So far he's done nothing to indicate that he'd be a good FB and everything to indicate he has a lot of potential elsewhere on the field. While it's easy to say that a FB is more important than a winger, a tall utility can be incredibly valuable. Cam Bruce, Chad Cornes, Adam Goodes, Andrew Embley. So far he's looked more like any of those players than he has our next FB.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
esaint66
SS Life Member

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:

i dunno played a few alright games. could hold the position alright. just made me a bit nervous like milne in the foward line.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Do any of you actually think Gilbert will be Max' successor at FB though? I don't think so. He's played about 15 games at AFL level and if he's ever played on a key forward, I can't remember the occasion. He's also been named in several games where we were missing key defenders. So far he's done nothing to indicate that he'd be a good FB and everything to indicate he has a lot of potential elsewhere on the field. While it's easy to say that a FB is more important than a winger, a tall utility can be incredibly valuable. Cam Bruce, Chad Cornes, Adam Goodes, Andrew Embley. So far he's looked more like any of those players than he has our next FB.
Yeah, I agree. I think that Gilbert will a waste at FB, much like Kosi will be at FF IMO.

I have suggested this once before and I know many or most disagree, but I do feel that Fergs has a great chance.

Again, he can play tall or small and does have a good defensive technique.

Most have considered him "lucky" to have retained his spot, but I feel that RL can see something in him.

I can also see that, and believe he will produce the goods.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Do any of you actually think Gilbert will be Max' successor at FB though? I don't think so. He's played about 15 games at AFL level and if he's ever played on a key forward, I can't remember the occasion. He's also been named in several games where we were missing key defenders. So far he's done nothing to indicate that he'd be a good FB and everything to indicate he has a lot of potential elsewhere on the field. While it's easy to say that a FB is more important than a winger, a tall utility can be incredibly valuable. Cam Bruce, Chad Cornes, Adam Goodes, Andrew Embley. So far he's looked more like any of those players than he has our next FB.
we're fortunate to have a player as versatile as gilbert. imo he can play full back and hold down that position very well if needs be.

having said that he can play just about anywhere else, too.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
Except shut down the opposition's best goalkicker.

A fit Luke Penny was a huge asset to the team and it is a damn shame that his career was cut so short by injuries.