JAMES GWILT

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

JAMES GWILT

im a newbie, but i always come on and read what people say.

whats the deal with james gwilt.

he is a gun.
if he is giving a chance.
anyone recall the '05 final against the crows.
he played as a winger/half foward.
and dominated in the rain,
his skills were smooth, as was his movement.
18 touches 2 goals 1

but now he only gets a go when the goose or maxy are injured.
not that he doesnt do a good job down there.

but now we have lost sammy, he is a perfect replacement.
he has a good size about him, with a bit of toe,
and a good kick for goal.

this is what i think the team should look like.

gilbert max-factor, baker

s fisher GOOSE gram

ball dal santo

hayes king

BJ MONTANGA (wings)

GWILT Roo SHCNIDERMAN

kosi Gehrig Milne

interchange- HARVS L-fisher Gardiner Fiora

Emergency - x clarke Rixy Dempster

stinger
Saintsational Legend

good first post mrs gwilt..... :wink: :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Richter
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:good first post mrs gwilt..... :wink: :wink: :lol:
LOL.

I actually was turned around on him as a defender last year - did a job on both Barry Hall and Fev as I remember.

He is being groomed as an eventual replacement for Max IMO.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Richter wrote:
stinger wrote:good first post mrs gwilt..... :wink: :wink: :lol:
LOL.

I actually was turned around on him as a defender last year - did a job on both Barry Hall and Fev as I remember.

He is being groomed as an eventual replacement for Max IMO.
He got brownlow votes playing on Barry Hall :wink:

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I see him eventually being a Full Back of the future, because the monster forwards and monster backs are slowly dying our backmen are going to have to be able to spoil, mark, run and kick. Gwilt could be perfect for this role if he could get some confidence...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Should play on a wing or half forward, have said this from day 1. His long raking boot offers penetration over a flood, but unfortunately his short kicking leaves a bit to be desired.

Battled well for an undersized KP defender, but won't be kept on the list for that alone.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Should play on a wing or half forward, have said this from day 1. His long raking boot offers penetration over a flood, but unfortunately his short kicking leaves a bit to be desired.

Battled well for an undersized KP defender, but won't be kept on the list for that alone.
problem is that he does not demand the ball when playing at Half forward and gets lost. Does not seem to understand where to run as well. would rather see gardiner or allen be used up forward (more natural forwards)

for mine it's make or break for gwilt. Not sold on him at FB

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
BallBanger
Club Player

dud

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

FB....no.

Now yes we used him there last year.

But it was because we had so many injuries....and while he did okish....it was not at the standard you would want froma permanent FB...well at least if you wanta team capable of winninga flag.

FB to me after Max is now the postion that we struggle most in.

Gilbert could well be our best option in a year or two.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think Gwilt is on the list purely as a backup FB. And he is quite a good backup FB, but you wouldn't want him to be a permament fixture in the defence. If Max has an injury-free year and a guy like Allen steps up and shows some good form in defence then Gwilt could be gone at the end of the year, but he is pretty safe at the moment.

I don't think Gwilt is suited to leading and finding the footy while being closely checked, so I don't think he'll ever be a forward and I doubt he has the fitness to be a midfielder. He is pretty good in the air, has a booming kick and can rebound from defence fairly well so I don't see why we would play him anywhere but defence. His good game against Adelaide was due to the fact that the Crows gave him absolutely no respect, and was allowed to run free in the midfield and even the forward line.

He is our first choice FB if Max and Goose are down, but otherwise he needs to get past R.Clarke, Dempster, Ferguson and Allen for a spot.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

atm he is where sam fisher was 3 seasons ago.

its up to him where he goes from there...another troy schwarz? top up player when others injured, sam fisher, auto selection, or luke beveridge, goodish player but not good enough.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Slow and lazy.

Physically he looks like he could be good, but in reality is actually a dud.

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

hehe, a mate's sister was dating Gwilt a while ago...

esaint66
SS Life Member

hes an odd one gwilt has the muscle to play down back but doesnt have the height, he also has the muscle and build to play in the midfield but lacks the speed. for me hes the perfect player for the vfl not great but not bad.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

saint edward wrote:hes an odd one gwilt has the muscle to play down back but doesnt have the height, he also has the muscle and build to play in the midfield but lacks the speed. for me hes the perfect player for the vfl not great but not bad.
many players have had this label and risen above it to be guns

then agaiin many players have been labelled future guns and wallow in the minor districts.

its really up to the player to make the most of his career.

sam fisher, nathan burke, andrew thompson are 3 who were given not future early in their careers...

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
saint edward wrote:hes an odd one gwilt has the muscle to play down back but doesnt have the height, he also has the muscle and build to play in the midfield but lacks the speed. for me hes the perfect player for the vfl not great but not bad.

then agaiin many players have been labelled future guns and wallow in the minor districts.

sam fisher, nathan burke, andrew thompson are 3 who were given not future early in their careers...
Not sure where you pulled that one from. Sam was a good player by his second year. Burkie had potential star from day one. Thommo was very even from his first game at the saints.

esaint66
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:

Not sure where you pulled that one from. Sam was a good player by his second year. Burkie had potential star from day one. Thommo was very even from his first game at the saints.

yeh the only one i can say actually played in the vfl was sam and that was because he was young and needed the learning curb.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I don't think we've seen anywhere close to the best of James Gwilt.

But at the same time, lack of ability to demand an opportunity in any single position may well mean we never do.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The way Ross spoke after the intra-club match he rates Gwilt. He did hint that Gwilt, along with Hudghton & Riewoldt will play v Richmond on Friday Night !!

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I am not a fan of Gwilt .. however I dont think he has been given his best opportunity to shine.

Very similar to Ferguson IMHO ie not tall enough to play KP defender - and to be honest not sure why they persist with that for him. Will not be kept on next years list if he is not tried in other positions.

Would like to see him tried at wing , HFF or HBF during the preseason games to see if there is anything else we can do with him.

I think being tall-ish and part PNG background works against him because of the comparisons to Mal Michael. If he were 5cm shorter nobody would think he should be played as a KP defender.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gwilt could be useful on a wing or half-forward but there are a few ahead of him atm.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

burke was not on the 'do not touch' list when we went after williams and then mitchell

he was a back pocket with a low profile, if any profile, in the early 90s.

i doubt anyone would have picked him out to be the star, champion, players choice captain, and st kilda stalwart he turned out to be.

harvey, loewe, david grant, lockett, winmar, russel morris and spud were the team marked out for the future in the early 90s

lockett left, morris was finished at 29 and so was david grant, and spud played on till 96 i think.

as for andrew thompson was passed over several times before being picked up at 23.

sam fisher was seen as a top up tall player behind maguire, max and penny. in fact he's turned out to be the star of our defence the last two seasons. the mere fact he was picked up so late in the draft suggested that he was a 'risk' and I doubt ANYONE would have picked up as a potential all australian at the time.

just saying that gwilt isn't much at the moment, but its up to him with what he can make out of his career.

he has enough basic assets to be a very good player....if he wants to be, and i point at hamill, fisher, burke, and thompson as examples of players who pushed themselves to the limit to achieve everything they could.

then again there are players like caydn beetham who talent to burn 10 times over, and not 1/20 of the work effort or ethic of hamill, fisher, burke and thompson.

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:The way Ross spoke after the intra-club match he rates Gwilt.

He did hint that Gwilt, along with Hudghton & Riewoldt will play v Richmond on Friday Night !!
I don't know what RL said aboyut Gwilt in terms od rating him.

But what I heard about Friday was not a hint...but a statement that of the players who did not play in the intraclub that only these 3 would.

The others would not play as they were not ready....as the focus is to have them ready for the H&A.

For example he descibed Lenny as an elite midfielder that would not be risked till he was ready.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
1eyedNever
Club Player

Gwilt

As a AFL player he is a Oxygen thief
Would not be on any other list but we seem to have a weakness to chop crap players

SKFC has now been confirmed as the AFLs BITCH
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Has struggled to demand a spot for sure.......and in an injury ravaged saints side for the past eons...you gotta ask why at some point?

This year is make or break IMO - Allen for example, is a different sorta player but zlready a class above Gwilt.

“Yeah….nah””