some observations

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

some observations

armitage: a lot of folks were writing this kid off because he didn't break into the senior side, i think he showed a lot yesterday. built like a tank, massive hoof. lacks a bit of discipline and polish but shows nicely. he has the 'components to play' marking, kicking, handpassing, tackling, where he goes from here is up to him.

geary: very exciting player for a rookie

blake : solid again

clint jones: looks like barks running around with that mop of blonde hair but his disposal is terrible, NDS sent him a handpass and he sold NDS into trouble, did the same a few times in the back line and forward line, certainly gutsy and attacks the ball and player but can't kick or hand pass with any quality.

montagna : purrs around the wings, i can't believe that folks didn't wantt o give him time to develop and 1 season at st kilda they were hoping to get a round 3 draft pick for him. I hope armitage is the next montagna.

rix: solid and hard.

kosi: another person supporters lost faith in, but jeez just shows how good he is, controlled the forward line like a pro.

howard: looked slow and disinterested when on

sam fisher: this guy is a genuine star, ball is coming in fast, its 2v 1 saint, you just hope its sam fisher these days.

c. gardiner: well i thought he was trash at geelong, and he was trash at geelong, but looked every bit the quality player at st kilda, lifted a notch, looks stronger too.

baker: well folks who thought he passed his use by date would be suprised at how instrumental he was in defending the centre

gram: along with monty, cruised the back line and behind the square swooping up the ball giving our forwards plenty of opportunity

very happy with the win, and I do realise geelong put in a second string side, but so did we. ball, goddard, harvey, reiwoldt, goose amongst other to return.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
nathan000
Club Player

i didn't watch or hear the game so this post is helpful, thanks. kosi is a huge key this year, he needs to just be stuck at full forward and he will have a great year and will hopefully help us lift that extra notch we need.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: some observations

Good observations Dan...and I think solid is agood word for Rix. he was not as dreadful as some have made out....but yes is still well short of beinga quality player.

However
Dan Warna wrote:armitage: a lot of folks were writing this kid off because he didn't break into the senior side, i think he showed a lot .
I think what most raised last year was that Armo's fitness was disappointing.....and in particular as the buzz on him when he was selected that he was a ready to play mid...

Now the buzz on him was not his faults...but the rumour mill had him as not a good trainer.

Looks like he has worked hard in the off-season and is now gaining the benefit from it.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 24 Feb 2008 10:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

My positives are

Armo : just looks like he's gonna make it - he reads it well, handles the ball well and makes his own space like NDS did when he started out.

Geary : straight at it, will make it. He's just good!

Kosi : the crowd loved him too - saw his real strength up close - he has awesome hands in a marking contest - he won a lot of local fans up there.

Blake : not usually a huge fan or critic of the Blake - but thought he was good and another crowd favorite. Did quite alot of behind the scenes stuff breaking from a kick in to provide - nothing - but took a couple of Cats with him. I thought from this the Cats actually rate him and were prepared to throw a couple after him as they thought he could hurt them.

Milne : thought he did a lot of good work off the ball - his offensive work seemed harder - turned a couple of possible defensice Cat runs into our positives.

Steven : won't give up, he's a terrier, will make it, needs to put on ten kilo's but he has the will and the talent. Watching him before in the warm up he has great skills, low pickups and quick reflexes.

Bakes : looked all at sea early but settled and did the hard stuff we love him for - will certainly be better for the run and will be hungry for round 29 or whenever it is he comes back.

Negatives :

Dont like being negative but I thought a few struggled - nah don't want to be critical. Some who played either need more time cos they're very young or they're just not gonna make it.

Great stadium though - my first time at Manuka and thought it a great place to watch footy - weather and locals both excellent.

Had to laugh at the numerous calls though of "Oh ref" :lol:

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Geary is not a rookie, he's been promoted to the list

Another opportunity awaits!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Steven has been very good with his cameos in his two games.

Is underage..and taken in a very good draft. I think we have got a real bargain here . In one or two seasons time will most likely be much much better. :)

He is only 17 yrs, 10 months...say compared to McEvoy who is 18 yr 7 months.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 24 Feb 2008 10:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Rix is one more bad game away from me declaring forever that he is never going to make it at AFL level.

He was beaten by Trent West and Mark Blake.

He can't kick or mark, and his handballing is poor.

Fair dinkum, most AFL players get criticised for not mastering the advanced elements of their game - reading the play etc.

Rix can't do the basics.

He's not a footballer's bootlace, and unless he pulls something special out in the next couple of weeks to prove me otherwise, I will be praying he doesn't get a game again ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Rix is one more bad game away from me declaring forever that he is never going to make it at AFL level.

Fair dinkum, most AFL players get criticised for not mastering the advanced elements of their game - reading the play etc.

Rix can't do the basics.

He's not a footballer's bootlace, and unless he pulls something special out in the next couple of weeks to prove me otherwise, I will be praying he doesn't get a game again ...
:cry: Unfortunately I'm with you there OWTS - I was a fan of Rix in the early days cos we had Cackland etc. when he arrived. I saw him as a saviour, and gave him great hope that he could be THE mature age recruit that made good.

Not gonna happen.

We must have King and Gardiner on the park this year, otherwise I fear we are in for dark times out of the middle again. We have two groups of midfielders who would just about walk into any side in the comp, but unless they can play to a legitimate centre game plan, it just won't work.

Looking forward, I will not read anything into LVR yesterday nor Big Mac cos he's not yet played, but let's just hope King and Gardi can hold us up for a year or two.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Rix = solid.

Not a best 22 player..now or ever..but not a complete dud either.

Is a handy cheap back up in case of injuries.....at least for this year. McEvoy is not ready and the Cats game showed that Rix is still a better option than VR.

So if we have GF aspirations...yes lets hope that gardi and King can both stand up...or at least one of them.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Rix = solid.

Not a best 22 player..now or ever..but not a complete dud either.

Is a handy cheap back up in case of injuries.....at least for this year. McEvoy is not ready and the Cats game showed that Rix is still a better option than VR.

So if we have GF aspirations...yes lets hope that gardi and King can both stand up...or at least one of them.
What I saw of LVR yesterday he was lost - but needs to wander in the midst of the AFL senior list as much as he can - would love to see him play again this week and get a bit more time if King and Gardi aren't in.

He is a big critter and appears to have a few skills, but needs time in the faster league to become accustomed. He was caught out of position against Blake several times. Time on the ground will fix that I hope.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Rix is one more bad game away from me declaring forever that he is never going to make it at AFL level.

Rix can't do the basics.

i told you that two years ago..... :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:. Time on the ground will fix that I hope.
plus Madden as a ruck coach to teach him how to play, postion himself etc, we hope.....
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 24 Feb 2008 10:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:[quote="Iceman234. Time on the ground will fix that I hope.
plus Madden as a ruck coach to teach him how to play, postion himself etc, we hope.....[/quote]

Big plus

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Rix can't do the basics.

Finally OWTS....That could be your best post yet.

Totally agree, except yesterday was the icing on the cake for me.

Also, Kossie seems far more potent in the forward line, than the usual Reiwoldt running and marking around the useless half forward flanks.

Looks twice the leader Reiwoldt is too. Especially when he is around his team mates.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote: i told you that two years ago..... :roll:
I'm a bit slow .... :wink:
Spinner wrote: Finally OWTS....That could be your best post yet.

Totally agree, except yesterday was the icing on the cake for me.
Unfortunately it was the icing on the cake for me too.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I hope the StKilda recruiters spend the year looking for Rix's replacement.

I wonder if the Roos or Bulldogs would pick him up if we let him go at seasons end.........

:)

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:I hope the StKilda recruiters spend the year looking for Rix's replacement.

I wonder if the Roos or Bulldogs would pick him up if we let him go at seasons end.........

:)
There's always Carlscum - Surely if he's out of contract they would offer him a 3 year million dollar+ contract?

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Dan Warna wrote:c. gardiner: well i thought he was trash at geelong, and he was trash at geelong, but looked every bit the quality player at st kilda, lifted a notch, looks stronger too.
I don't think he was trash at Geelong - just couldn't break into the side.

When you consider they had Mooney, N Ablett, Chapman, Stokes, Steve Johnson, Ottens and Hawkins all vying for spots with Gardiner and Playfair on the forward line during the season, it probably explains why he couldn't crack it for a regular game. (Probably explains why Playfair got traded too - will be a handy acquisition for Sydney)

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:c. gardiner: well i thought he was trash at geelong, and he was trash at geelong, but looked every bit the quality player at st kilda, lifted a notch, looks stronger too.
I don't think he was trash at Geelong - just couldn't break into the side.

When you consider they had Mooney, N Ablett, Chapman, Stokes, Steve Johnson, Ottens and Hawkins all vying for spots with Gardiner and Playfair on the forward line during the season, it probably explains why he couldn't crack it for a regular game. (Probably explains why Playfair got traded too - will be a handy acquisition for Sydney)
Well said..being the 25th-best player in a side that tore the comp a newie last year doesnt exactly make you a washed-up hack

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

actually i thought he terrible at geelong, couldn't mark, missed easy shots at goal, panicked under pressure...

i was very dissapointed when he ended up on our list.

watching on saturday i was MORE than pleasantly pleased with his form.

again its a matter of opinion but there you go.

as for criticisms of reiwoldt, he averages more than 2 goals a game from CHF, something the best CHFs do.

even kernahan who spent much of the time as FF instead of CHF was only just past 2.

reiwoldt plays CHF, scores his 2 goals, palms off a fair few to FG so his contribution is substantial.

kosi played most of the game as a FF.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

The best thing about C Gardiner is he has a HUGE motor, He ran all day and if you look at him in the last quarter he was hardly blowing at all whilst most of the other guys on the park looked knackered. Him and Roo continually leading up the ground is going to bring backmen to their knees!!

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Dan Warna wrote:howard: looked slow and disinterested when on
Goes to show how 2 people can see 2 totally different things from the same game... I thought Howard looked hungry and fast as lightning from right after the first clearance where he threw himself virtually headfirst at a cats shins in an effort to win the ball. His pace on the chase is where I think his greatest strength lies.

He's not in the hunt for an opening day spot ala Gear and Armitage, and he hasn't commanded enough ball to comment on his disposal, so there's a lot missing... but I've found myself thinking based on his game without the ball, if he can maintain that, then he may get a game or 2 later in the year, which would be his chance to prove himself.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

C Gardiner needs a full time Spot in the team next to Rooey,

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Steven has been very good with his cameos in his two games.

Is underage..and taken in a very good draft. I think we have got a real bargain here . In one or two seasons time will most likely be much much better. :)

He is only 17 yrs, 10 months...say compared to McEvoy who is 18 yr 7 months.

To the top
SS Life Member

The preference is to identify positives with every player on our list.

But that will not happen for a variety of reasons.

In regards Rix, look at the photo of Fiora's mark, then look at who is behind him and the positioning of the hands of that player.

The photo is too small to glean whether that player's eyes are open or shut, but, in my view, the hands are indicative of the central negative I have re Rix, and where he needs improvement.

Bit like Ponting out of form, going at the ball with hard hands instead of keeping the top hand over the ball in defence and loosening the bottom hand.

The ball appears to hit Rix's palms, which face the ball and are tort.