loewe

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

loewe

loewe was an outstanding player, if he played for a hawthorn or a WCE or essendon would be considered amongst the greatest CHF of all time.

sadly much of his career was carrying the st kilda team with a handful of other players, (harvey, burke, lockett, winmar etc etc)

300 odd games, a shade under 600 goals (two season he played 3/4 of the at FF and kicked 90 and 80 goals in teams devoid of talent and ridden with injury prior to jason heatley coming and after lockett left)

something like 3200 marks, many contested, and spent the end of teh his career filling as a ruckman through spiders injuries, and suspensions :)

outstanding player, as for his kicking at goal, pfft statistically as accurate as any other CHF, the reputation for being a bad kick was a hang over from his youth.

honestly if reiwoldt hadn't landed in our laps we'd be devoid of anyone with that amount of talent in our forward line.

a CHF who can kick 40 plus goals and control the HF line, and can duck into FF and kick bags of 5 or 6 at a pinch ><

given carey spent much of his time at FF and not CHF, as with kernahan, loewe's record stacks up VERY well with the best CHFs of the game.

his mistake? not taking big $$ to go to premiership teams, being loyal to st kilda and not crippling players for fun.

when we played adelaide, they had 3 players on him, our mistake and alves was to keep kicking it him.

pittmans ONLY job that game was to scrag loewe, scrag scrag scrag, add to that the personal trauma on the day that loewe faced, which some may be aware off and was alluded to in the press at the time with out specifics being given.

i rate loewe as an oustanding player (not n the top 50 to ever play AFL but very close).

if he took the $$ to go to hawthorn or sydney he'd have been a premiership CHF at least twice, and he'd be lauded amongst the best ever.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
ben_fff
Club Player

Was my favourite player, one of the best marks I've ever seen, awesome leader.

bendigo bob
Club Player

ben_fff wrote:Was my favourite player, one of the best marks I've ever seen, awesome leader.
Couldn't agree more. Simply outstanding. The day he presented his jumper to Kosi still brings a tear. Kosi is from the same school and class.

BJ has arrived!!!!!!!!!!

BJ's #1 Fan

Winner of the half time Social Club auction for Kosi's jumper Round 19 2005
Can we build it? Yes we can!!
GrumpyOne

Re: loewe

Dan Warna wrote: if he took the $$ to go to hawthorn or sydney he'd have been a premiership CHF at least twice, and he'd be lauded amongst the best ever.
Was offered mega$$$ to go to Freo, so much that it was a very close thing, and only his loyalty to his mates at St Kilda kept him there.

Class individual, top bloke and bloody good player.

esaint66
SS Life Member

Re: loewe

GrumpyOne wrote:
Dan Warna wrote: if he took the $$ to go to hawthorn or sydney he'd have been a premiership CHF at least twice, and he'd be lauded amongst the best ever.
Was offered mega$$$ to go to Freo, so much that it was a very close thing, and only his loyalty to his mates at St Kilda kept him there.

Class individual, top bloke and bloody good player.

yeh top bloke, but what i dont get dan is why your saying he was going to either hawthorn or sydney, and neither of them came close to winning opne when loewie was being offered big money.

it was tevor barker that kept him at st kilda :D top bloke that

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Great player...still cringed everytime he kicked for goal. :D

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

He was stupidly courageous as well.

I saw him DIE at waverly. He was literally dead ( :wink: ), but he came back on in the second half!

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Best mark of all time easily. Makes a mockery of any other player suggested otherwise.
Probably the most underated player to ever play the game.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

stewie was and still is my fav saints player i have always felt he is the most underrated player , people always say how Carey dominated the 90's but lets just look who he had feeding the ball to him throw in the support he got from Allison ect ect it wasnt that hard to be dominant at CHF full forward . but stewie he was it in our forward line after plugger left he had little support and was also from time to time called upon in the ruck . i spose in the end a player will always get more credit playing in a premiership team so our champs will never be held in the same light as other clubs .

just on the freo thing the offer he got from freo was soo high its belived that the powers that be down at the dockers were quietly glad he turned them down as they wouldnt of been able to deliver on what they prommised and most of the players chased by freo knew that they were making offers they couldnt up hold therefor their biggest signings were a washed up Ben Allen and a never was Peter Mann

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
supersaints
Club Player

Top player best mark I have ever seen. Huge hands
Had a beer with him one day after a Geelong home game and his fingers were touching his thumb around the pot....Try It !!!!

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

There is a lesson to be learnt from the 1997 grand final.
Your star players get you into the finals.
Your weakest players lose you the finals. (Because you don't have the confidence to play through them and opposition coaches can exploit them).
If you play with six forwards you must have six avenues to goal.
The team played through Loewe and he got them into the finals but Blight knew that if he swamped Loewe the St Kilda forwards would not score enough.
The same can happen with Riewoldt, he can get the team into the finals but the other forwards have to win the grand final whilst Riewoldt takes all the heat.
The league gives each team 22 "practice" matches before the finals. St Kilda needs to practice playing through players other than Riewoldt in that time.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:There is a lesson to be learnt from the 1997 grand final.
Your weakest players lose you the finals. (Because you don't have the confidence to play through them and opposition coaches can exploit them).
The team played through Loewe and he got them into the finals but Blight knew that if he swamped Loewe the St Kilda forwards would not score enough.
The same can happen with Riewoldt, he can get the team into the finals but the other forwards have to win the grand final whilst Riewoldt takes all the heat.
The league gives each team 22 "practice" matches before the finals. St Kilda needs to practice playing through players other than Riewoldt in that time.
well put
like i was thinking last week when roo wen off we had none of the big guns up forward and i was sure we would get over run because of this but unlike other years some one else stood up and some one else joined them and so did another bloke and we found new ways to get the result insted of the kick it to roo and hope game plan

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

The most under-rated player I've seen play for the Saints.

Was my favourite player from the time I can remember (mid 90's) until he retired.

Absolute legend of the red, white and black.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:There is a lesson to be learnt from the 1997 grand final.
Not sure I agree with your example....

Loewe had a huge personal tragedy of someone very close to himlate in GF week..I am sure it would have distracted him. It would ceratainly have done with me.

Nicky as we know had to deal with his fathers death.....and there were various other factors.

But yes I do agree...that how good your weaker players are is an important factor....and that you cannot realy ona star or two.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully, Stewie & Burkie will make it into the AFL Hall of Fame this year. I believe that 300 games should grant you automatic entry !!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saw him get his first kick (a goal in the mud at moorabbin) and his last (the day he handed his no. 23 guernsey to kosi).

was a terrific player for us ... tough and durable with a head like a rock and, as someone else said .... hands like buckets.

to me loewe was a prime example of a self-made player because apart from his strength and ability to take marks, everything else he had to work very hard at.

he wasn't really a natural footballer like a lockett or even a gehrig. didn't have a football brain like them.

but through sheer persistence and hard work he became one of the best forwards in the league for a time and one year almost kicked 100.

his kicking for goal is a case in point. you should have seen some of his efforts in the early days before peter hudson got hold of him and gave him a few pointers on how to do it.

loewe is a fantastic example of how players prepared to put in the hard work can really reach their potential as footballers.

i thought he still had some good footy in him when he finally gave it away.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:The most under-rated player I've seen play for the Saints.

Was my favourite player from the time I can remember (mid 90's) until he retired.

\

my youngest had no 23 on his back........one night after training we were in a small group talking to stewie, a very young kossi and dirty harry.....stewie turned my son around and at the same time asked him"whose number you wearing champ".......you should have seen the smile when he saw that it was his number........

...will never forget his look ........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
esaint66
SS Life Member

always will remember that mark he took at the g against the pies in 97 and fell right on his back and crawled up like a slater.

team man. his heart beat red white and black.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Just brilliant what Stewie could do aerially. His ability in contested situations is rivalled by very few. Definitely one of the great CHF's in the modern era. And i have the pleasure of playing with him these days =) Absolute top bloke, a real family man and a star footballer.

The Saints are coming!
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Meet him plenty of times at my school and saints clinics etc. Such a warm guy.
Do you guys remember they used to use his hands in ads for mobile phones to make the phones look smaller? :lol:
Still in good shape too.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
esaint66
SS Life Member

Munga wrote:Do you guys remember they used to use his hands in ads for mobile phones to make the phones look smaller? :lol:

hahaha thats hilarious. :lol:
wouldnt think a top guy like him would approve of false advertiseing :lol:

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

A grand man. Honest, loyal, dedicated and fair dinkum. A lot to be admired. Lockett was a footballing genius, but a sad sack. Loewe was a fine footballer, and a terrific fella. It's a better combination.

Mind you, Plugger would be an outside chance to get a 20/20 contract in India.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Not too sure if this is right, but...

I have noticed a few constructions (apartments) between Frankston and Mordialoc with Loewe Constructions, and I often wondered if this was Stewie..

If so, they are unique in design, and hope he has at least has a bid for our new home at Frankston

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:The most under-rated player I've seen play for the Saints.

\

my youngest had no 23 on his back........one night after training we were in a small group talking to stewie, a very young kossi and dirty harry.....stewie turned my son around and at the same time asked him"whose number you wearing champ".......you should have seen the smile when he saw that it was his number........

...will never forget his look ........
Great story stinger

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
iremember66
Club Player

Used to love to watch Stewie's first touch in a game - if he marked the ball we were in for a great show the rest of the game. If the ball bounced out - Stewie would work and work to get into touch.
Seemed to be a real confidence thing - I always thought it was more noticeable with Stewie than other players, but that could be because I loved watching him. Top bloke too - met him once and he was so pleasant - it means a lot to be able to chat with stars of this calibre - always nice if they have the ability to make you somehow feel as though YOU are special... Stewie, Harvs and a few others seem able to do that so easily - it must be difficult if you are having a bad day and fans still want a chat. I'm afraid I've probably dismissed a few good blokes as arses based on one meeting - but first impressions linger. (Maybe those blokes still remember me as an absolute tosser - that's life I suppose).

Thanks to Stewie - he gave me such geat viewing pleasure over so many years - love to one day just bump into the guy and buy him a thankyou beer or two - Stewie and a few other Sainteers too - it could turn into a llonnnggg session!!!