Jones stupid for revealing tackling secrets

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

|Andy|
Club Player

Jones stupid for revealing tackling secrets

Does anybody else think that CJ telling the whole world about their martial arts training was just plain stupid??

Especially since saints worked on keeping it a secret all preseason. Now that other teams see how much better saint's tackling has become ( which is a whole heap better), they'll be seeking pro fujitsu training...

I personally would have liked to have not known all this information and think it was the work of the gods who made us better tacklers.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes it would have been a secret.....except that it was already known that the Saints had a tackling coach who also worked with the Storm.

Secondly most teams seem to have specilaist tackling coach these days.

So rather than stealing a march on other teams....were are rather just catching up.

I can't remember which club now....buta few years back there wasa story about their utilising some martial arts training.

The use of rugby coaches is quite common.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

It was on the Saints website, so maybe the person who uploaded it is the stupid one. :roll:

Violent Stool
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Which I find strange to be honest.

Tackling in NRL is very different to AFL. In rugby, it's Ok to totally commit to the tackle and lose your feet. You can also grab a guy around the head or ankles.

Our coach brought a rugby dude down to our training one day to teach us tackling. After the session and after the guy left, our coach told us to forget everything we'd just learnt!

The Judo influence is much better than a rugby influence I think.

I thought Grant Thomas had a tackling coach in 2005?

How far down the rabbit hole do you really want to go?
Winmarvellous
Club Player

We had martial arts training for footy when I was 15 (over 15 years ago)so I don't believe it's exactly a new concept.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Violent Stool wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Welcome back RF :wink:

Why strange? All you need is a tackling coach who appreciates that he is teaching tackling for two different sports with two different sets of rules.

The main reason that rugby guys often seemed to be used in this capacity is simply that rugby has in the past placed more emphasis on tackling...and so there are more rugby guys around who have thought throuh the mechanics of tackling.

Players from rugby backgrounds are often very good tacklers simply because they have been coahed ore on how to tackle...and have practiced how to tackle more.

Now as to your other point.
GT...tackling coach. Yes I seemed to recollect at at some stage he did.
The problems with GT was not a lack of good ideas.....but rather that he could not sustain them systematically over time and to concentrate his efforts where it really conted. To sift through the good from the bad....and keep the good. Gt did some sifting...but mainly kept the bad ideas.

While he allowed himself to be drawn more and more into his "comfort zone" of "management and contracts" he more and more neglected the football side of coaching.

Perhaps if he had spent more time on football development....of which for example tackling skills is but one subset...the Saints and GT would have been much better off.

karnak
Club Player

absolutely rugby coaches can make a difference.

its all about bringing the player to the ground.

As for the Judo influence that's great. Watch the hips, tackle the hips. bring the opponent to the ground. get the pill and kick a goal.

simple really.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
Violent Stool
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Violent Stool wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Welcome back RF :wink:

Why strange? All you need is a tackling coach who appreciates that he is teaching tackling for two different sports with two different sets of rules.

The main reason that rugby guys often seemed to be used in this capacity is simply that rugby has in the past placed more emphasis on tackling...and so there are more rugby guys around who have thought throuh the mechanics of tackling.

Players from rugby backgrounds are often very good tacklers simply because they have been coahed ore on how to tackle...and have practiced how to tackle more.

Now as to your other point.
GT...tackling coach. Yes I seemed to recollect at at some stage he did.
The problems with GT was not a lack of good ideas.....but rather that he could not sustain them systematically over time and to concentrate his efforts where it really conted. To sift through the good from the bad....and keep the good. Gt did some sifting...but mainly kept the bad ideas.

While he allowed himself to be drawn more and more into his "comfort zone" of "management and contracts" he more and more neglected the football side of coaching.

Perhaps if he had spent more time on football development....of which for example tackling skills is but one subset...the Saints and GT would have been much better off.
There were more problems than just that with GT!

GT had lost the players, or probably more accurately they weren't getting his message anymore (if there still was one) whether they realised it or not.

He had to go.

Did well early, but the signs were there to suggest our goose was cooked so to speak, after 2006.

Now back to the tackling part. Tackling is a huge part of League and Union, but the style of tackling is very different. To use an analogy, it's like Gridiron and AFL in terms of punting. Punters kick like in the AFL, but for a different effect mostly and they use a different style aswell.

There's nothing wrong pinching the good bits from NRL and their tackling, but as you said above, you need a coach who understands our code. You just can't adopt the NRL tackling techniques.

Why did you call me RF? :?

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

All supporters will come to understand, with time and performance, just what a lightweight Grant Thomas was.

There is an accelerating belief at Moorabbin, including the players, that the Thomas years were an indulgence of little more than an ego.

Potentially great players who never played without pain, right from tender years, skilled footballers implored to "take their turn" to the detriment of their long term development, experienced hands expected to cope with nonsense game structures.

The Ross Lyon years will prove the Thomas years to have been profligate, even prodigal.

Just wait and watch. Thomas will be shown to have been an aberration, nothing more than a product of poor management.

And, he was poor, and getting poorer.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Violent Stool
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote:All supporters will come to understand, with time and performance, just what a lightweight Grant Thomas was.

There is an accelerating belief at Moorabbin, including the players, that the Thomas years were an indulgence of little more than an ego.

Potentially great players who never played without pain, right from tender years, skilled footballers implored to "take their turn" to the detriment of their long term development, experienced hands expected to cope with nonsense game structures.

The Ross Lyon years will prove the Thomas years to have been profligate, even prodigal.

Just wait and watch. Thomas will be shown to have been an aberration, nothing more than a product of poor management.

And, he was poor, and getting poorer.
You were pissed last night, weren't you? :lol:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Violent Stool wrote:
Why did you call me RF? :?
Is that not your other profile......???

saintly
Saintsational Legend

i think one good and bad thing about gt was the captaincy. its its a good thing to give leaderhip and captaincy so people learn and grow. but it is also a detriment at the time to the current squad. learning on the job is all well and good. but lack of experience is difficult.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Rugby players are especially good at tackling from the front. Most AFL players are only good at tackling from behind - that's what they get taught in junior football. With players trying to run past with the ball these days, tackling from the front becomes more important in AFL .

Huzzad
Club Player

I remember reading about some martial arts coach coming to the Saints for tackling lessons in the off-season, soemtime before Christmas. Hardly a secret. Pretty sure it was on the saints.com.au site too. Wasn't massive headline news but it was definatly there.

Besides, for "secrets" to get out, all the other team has to do is hire a spy anyway.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews