LRT and Bolton - The 'Tunnelling' thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:I just hope the St.Kilda Football Club via the correct chanels to the AFL voice their displeasure of this tactic used on Roo last night..... it is extremely dangerous and if not outlawed some player will possibly end up with a career ending injury.
Brilliant idea Loris !!

I just sent off an email to Archie asking the club to look at it and if they see fit, bring it up with the AFL !!

loris
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
loris wrote:I just hope the St.Kilda Football Club via the correct chanels to the AFL voice their displeasure of this tactic used on Roo last night..... it is extremely dangerous and if not outlawed some player will possibly end up with a career ending injury.
Brilliant idea Loris !!

I just sent off an email to Archie asking the club to look at it and if they see fit, bring it up with the AFL !!

Thanks Eastern......... I'll do the same....though at times I don't think the AFL takes the Saints complaints too seriously..... we are not Colingwood or Essendon.
I can recall when Lenny was thrown into the fence by that Scott twin... I e-mailed GT at that time about my displeasure at the Club's seemigly lack of outrage at that incident and they needed to back their players more. GT e-mailed me back immediately and said they had approached the AFL about it in the correct manner but got no joy. :cry: :cry:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I noticed that Robert Campbell (Haw) took Jeff White's (Melb) legs out from underneath him in a ruck contest today. Interesting comment from Gerard Healey who called it tunnelling !!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i_luv_nick_riewoldt wrote:its funny how the LRT and Bolton had to resort to this dirty act as they knew that in flight they couldn't beat nick nor kosi to the footy with an accurate pass.

most definitly this tactic should be raised in the media, as it's huge problem that could lead to serious injury.nick couldnt get near the ball without his legs giving way.

there was a comment made about sydney's tactics by a commentator.......healy i think....during the haWKS game...so it hasn't gone unnoticed..

ps ...sorry eastern...didn't read to the end of the thread before posting....
Last edited by stinger on Sun 23 Mar 2008 8:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Thanks Eastern......... I'll do the same....though at times I don't think the AFL takes the Saints complaints too seriously..... we are not Colingwood or Essendon.
I can recall when Lenny was thrown into the fence by that Scott twin... I e-mailed GT at that time about my displeasure at the Club's seemigly lack of outrage at that incident and they needed to back their players more. GT e-mailed me back immediately and said they had approached the AFL about it in the correct manner but got no joy. :cry: :cry:
The thing is though, loris, so long as Thomas was coaching St.Kilda, the AFL/Demetriou were not going to do us any favours at all.

Demetriou and Thomas are sworn enemies from their time at North and like Thomas, Demetriou is also a vindictive bastard, so we were always going to get a raw deal, 11 6 day breaks etc...etc...etc...

The lay of the land has shifted.

Excellent work to all those that have emailed on this issue :wink:

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I noticed that Robert Campbell (Haw) took Jeff White's (Melb) legs out from underneath him in a ruck contest today. Interesting comment from Gerard Healey who called it tunnelling !!
And he did mention it was done to Roo the other night too

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
Eastern wrote:I noticed that Robert Campbell (Haw) took Jeff White's (Melb) legs out from underneath him in a ruck contest today. Interesting comment from Gerard Healey who called it tunnelling !!
Perhaps we could email Gerard in our attempts to highlight this issue. He would be our best chance seeing that he is in the media, is a physiotherapist and has a soft spot for the saints. His email addy is;
sportstoday@3aw.com.au

!!

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
Perhaps we could email Gerard in our attempts to highlight this issue. He would be our best chance seeing that he is in the media, is a physiotherapist and has a soft spot for the saints. His email addy is;
sportstoday@3aw.com.au

!!
Okay my protest is gone to him.

Gotta say I didn't really notice it til it was pointed out here and then I watched the replay on fox this morning, then it was mentioned this arvo.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

those around me noticed it last night

it was mentioned to KB on radio this afternoon- I'm not sure of his full answer but somehting along the lines of Roo getting so far under the ball.....

can't hurt to keep the information flowing though.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Given that it seemed to happen too many times for it to be a coincidental accident, who do you reckon came up with this 'novel approach' to curb teh effect of our tall marking options?

Surely it wouldn't have been 'all round nice guy' Paul Roos?

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:those around me noticed it last night

it was mentioned to KB on radio this afternoon- I'm not sure of his full answer but somehting along the lines of Roo getting so far under the ball.....

can't hurt to keep the information flowing though.
On the night I thought it was just Roo running under the ball as he tends to do a lot.

On replay - yes he is being run under

my les foote
Club Player

Win it for HIM!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

good work les foote, can you get the other ones as well? happened to Kosi several times.

happy feet
Club Player

Tunnelling

I took note of LRT's approach and was not impressed. In basketball the move is called tunnelling and is just about the lowest thing one can do on the court. It is an immediate send off offence.

my les foote
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:good work les foote, can you get the other ones as well? happened to Kosi several times.
I was right on the edge of my technical expertise. If you can tell me what second in the game it happened, I'll see what I can do.

Win it for HIM!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Of course it makes it very easy to "tunnel" when the ball is time and again kicked wayyy over his head. Yes he does tend to run uunder it somewhat but its very hard to run under a ball thats kicked lace out to your chest.

Our delivery inside 50 was deplorable. Wouldnt have helped if Plugger was in there

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tunnelling

happy feet wrote:I took note of LRT's approach and was not impressed. In basketball the move is called tunnelling and is just about the lowest thing one can do on the court. It is an immediate send off offence.
good work with the video and complaints.

it is a low dog act that should be removed from the game

bungiton
SS Life Member

Can someone give a time for these events and I'll cut them into slow mo action sequences

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Word back from the club;

"We are all over it"

This suggests to me that it will be/has been raised at the highest levels possible at the AFL. Good luck to those from the club driving this !!

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Don't know if it's against the rules, but very dangerous. Gotta agree with the post on the delivery. If it hit him on the chest, he wouldn't have to jump so high and outstretch his arms to get run under the ball. Smart play if within the rules and you get away with it. Leaves your opponent down and you free to run onto the ball. Didn't watch game so only saw the youTube vid, so don't everybody bite my head off. Not saying it's not dangerous, just not sure it's illegal. I don't know.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Winmarvellous wrote:Don't know if it's against the rules, but very dangerous. Gotta agree with the post on the delivery. If it hit him on the chest, he wouldn't have to jump so high and outstretch his arms to get run under the ball. Smart play if within the rules and you get away with it. Leaves your opponent down and you free to run onto the ball. Didn't watch game so only saw the youTube vid, so don't everybody bite my head off. Not saying it's not dangerous, just not sure it's illegal. I don't know.
i'd say it would be along the same lines as a spear tackle, becasue tecdhnically a spear tackle isn't against any tackling rules, but is a free because of how dangerous it is

i'd say what was happening to Roo was just as bad as a spear atckle

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Will be discussed on FC in about 10 minutes...
I guess I'm going to have to sit through that crap again :shock: :roll: :roll:
Roo is once again going to have to cop all the 'soft' calls that he gets, despite the fact that he takes countless knocks throughout a game and keeps on going, since when did you have to be a sniper that gets players with their backs turned to be called a hardnut?

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Great observations all and something I havent noticed as yet. No doubt though that the clubs to whom it has affected would be well aware with the amount of video footage etc they have at their disposal nowadays.

Still it doesnt hurt to fire off a few e-mails to the AFL, media and the like to keep the buggers on their toes..... :twisted:

Quixote
SS Life Member

Great thread.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if any media have read this thread