SACK ROSS LYON

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 8:58am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Supporters aren't reacting simply because we stand 3/3. They aren't even reacting to the fact our club is not progressing in the way our new coach promised.
Rather we are reacting to the fact that the team and the individual players are playing far worse footy than we have seen under the previous coach.

Less excitement, less passion, less goals, less one percenters, less tough footy, basically less of everything that makes us love footy.

We have a coach who speaks like a politician - using weasel words to avoid scrutiny. A coach who harps on about acountability - yet won't turn the blowtorch on himself -it's never the game plan, never the fault of the coaching directions, it's always the players who fail to measure up on the day. The players who aren't 'trained' to play that way (when they lose).

It's patently obvious to all and sundry that the saints are underperforming and playing uninspiring, reactive footy -and they aren't very good at it!
So who should be made accountable? -if you can't inspire players to play to a plan then the fault is with you or the plan -either way the coach is responsible above all others for how the team plays!

But if it is the role of a true fan to simply sigh and bury their head in the sand then pardon us!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: But if it is the role of a true fan to simply sigh and bury their head in the sand then pardon us!
But if the "role of a true fan" is to be an internet super-hero then congratulations, you've made one hell of a difference !

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
matrix
Saintsational Legend

as much as i dont think Lyon will lead us to a premiership, sacking him isnt really going to help us at this present time is it?

i mean im p***ed at the performance last night and at his coaching style and even some of the players on the park, but sacking the coach after being three and three, quarter of the way through the home and away season isnt really going to help matters.....

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Admit I was fairly wound up and under the influence this morning...I was calling for his head.

But realistically you can't sack him and he doesn't deserve it yet. However,if things continue to go backwards,and we don't make the 8 again,then you have to ask whether he deserves another crack at it? The answer is clearly no

evets

I say Ross lyon is a dud got no idea about attacking the ball play on move the ball foward fast this crap holding the pill till half the other side floods is just beyond me hey rossie wake up mate your game plan is just a wast time think man look at the doggies the hawks.

sinner
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

gees what a knee jeck reaction...

The Coach can't kick the ball for them.
The Coach can't handball the ball for them.
The Coach can't tackle the player for them
The Coach can't kick a goal for them.
The Coach can't get the clearance for them.
The Coach can't put the red white and black on and win the bloody game for them.

You have seen the football the boys can play under Ross Lyon, maybe its only been in small patches but the proof is there.
Nab cup, First qrts against the Dogs and Geelong.
WE CAN PLAY GOOD EXCITING ATTACKING FOOTY!!!! (under Lyon)

So Instead of going off half tap about sacking the coach, maybe ask the question if the players really want it. Because last night all I saw was Port wanting it more than us.

Blame the coach if you reckon thats the answer, but honestly I think you need to look at what is happening with our players and not so much the coach.

Sacking the coach every time we have a bad patch is not the answer and you lot bloody know it

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:gees what a knee jeck reaction...

The Coach can't kick the ball for them.
The Coach can't handball the ball for them.
The Coach can't tackle the player for them
The Coach can't kick a goal for them.
The Coach can't get the clearance for them.
The Coach can't put the red white and black on and win the bloody game for them.

You have seen the football the boys can play under Ross Lyon, maybe its only been in small patches but the proof is there.
Nab cup, First qrts against the Dogs and Geelong.
WE CAN PLAY GOOD EXCITING ATTACKING FOOTY!!!! (under Lyon)

So Instead of going off half tap about sacking the coach, maybe ask the question if the players really want it. Because last night all I saw was Port wanting it more than us.

Blame the coach if you reckon thats the answer, but honestly I think you need to look at what is happening with our players and not so much the coach.

Sacking the coach every time we have a bad patch is not the answer and you lot bloody know it
A bit of common sense......

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
starsign
Club Player

3W-3L does'n call for knee jerk sack the coach reactions
rationality must prevail

having said that, I sense there is a deeper problem starting to surface
I could well be, and hope I am, horribly wrong here, but as a died in the wool sainter for the past 60 years whose seen a fair bit, I think Ross is beguining to loose it with the group as a whole
Something tells me they aren't happy campers at the moment, there are some worrying signs.
They aren't locked up like a supreme court jury all week and must know of the deep dissatasfaction of many supporters in the way the coach is attempting to get them to play. It would be impossible for them not to.
Its obviously been bloody hard work for them , physically and mentally, and its not indicating any great signs of success in the near future.
GT empowered in them a sense of ownership in their future success
I feel this was something very possative that seems to be disolving within the group as time passes
A couple admitted they took stock of M Voss' comments re team cohesiveness the other week, and there was a lot of twoing and frowing of texts between them on the subject. culminating in a marked attempt to improve on it the following week
But it was by and large missing again last night and we witnessed a few telling indicters ....Max's spat on Goose, BJ on the kick-out , and the body language of the captain and other senior players at times
As i said i hope I'm way out on the full on this , but theres more than just a gut feeling
Sacking Ross now or during the season is not the answer mere, room temperature IQ
I'm probably not on the wave lenghth of the majority of posters here in this one , but I just wonder what words of wisdom Allan Killagrew would offer the group at the moment !

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

IMHO, too many of the 'burn Lyon at the stake' posts in the last 18 hours seem like hysterical rantings of 'zealots' with little constructive criticism other than revenge-seeking destruction.

Wasn't dismissing the Butters Board and replacing them with 'our kind of people' revenge enough?

Lyon didn't kill Bambi and he didn't have anything to do with GT's sacking. The members have already dismissed the Board that made that decision.
Yes, he was appointed our Coach and deserves to hear constructive criticism from everywhere. What he doesn't deserve is nonsensical rubbish being posted by 'bitter' forum members still angry because his predecessor was sacked.

He's coaching our Club and deserves our support.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:NEVER under ANY coach in OUR history have we played such NEGATIVE football to this extent.
So you saw the 1897 - 1903 gameplan where we didn't win a game.

You cabbage. :roll: :roll:

What an idiotic statement to make.

Exhibit No.1 - hysterical hyperbole at its finest :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i can't believe how many are willing to sit quietly and accept us playing this SHITE brand of football, and be comforted by the line "oh but we need stability, that will get us a premiership, stability...."

:roll:

we HAVE TO change the gameplan, its a no brainer, are any successful teams playing like us? uh, NO

so if Ross is uinwilling to change the game plan, then he must go, simple as that

i would rather Ross opened his eyes and took his head out of Sydney 2005, and realised that he is wasting our talent, and wasting our chance at some kind of glory

so if he isn't gonna change, then the club must change him!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Have we learnt nothing?

You just do not sack coaches willy nilly.

If we didn't learn after Alves, surely we should have learnt after Thomas.

We have a coach who many saw plenty of potential in. He needs his time. The way AFL is nowadays, worse case scenario is if we don't win a flag within the next 2-3 years, we'll be back up again in 5-6 anyway

Lyon has to stay for his duration.