The Trojan Horse Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

the shadow
Club Player

First time poster. I have observed the suffering of loyal saints on this site for too long. It's time to point out the bleeding obvious. Our esteemed coach has all the charm and charisma of a caravan park. And even less expertise. Since he took over we have gone from having one of the most potent attacks in the AFL to scoring the fewest goals in the competition last year. We are well on our way to claiming that dubious honour again this year. Between 2004-6 we had the 4th best defence (points conceded in the competition) in the AFL. The last 2 years we have slipped to 11th. This year we are last in tackles in attacking 50. Roos must be pissing himself up in Sydney. Lyon is the most effective Trojan horse sent to a competitor since we offloaded Everitt to Hawthorn. Lyon has also taken the liberty of surrounding himself with men who couldn't possibly get his job. Silvagni- we all recall his "expert" comments on Channel 10. A moron who could play football, but has no idea how to analyse or teach. Barker - qualifications? Track record? The forward line's performance under his stewardship speaks for itself. Anthony Rock? Our best midfielders are a 37 year old and a champion who doesn't know the meaning of surrender in Lenny Hayes. Where is the developing talent? The fact is, RL has had two preseasons and 28 games to show his worth. Our win/loss ration has been worse under him than it was the previous four seasons. His supporters such as Robert Walls point out that it takes time to engineer and instill a game plan. How hard can it be? Gary Ayres - 1st year into a grand final at geelong, Malcolm Blight - 1st year premiership at Adelaide, Rodney Eade- 1st year grand final at the swans, Leigh Matthews- last to third a preliminary final in his first year at Brisbane. Denis Pagan at North Melbourne in 1993, nowhere to 3rd and premierships beyond, after no initial pre-season to instil his game plan. Sheedy 15 wins in a row in his 1st year at Essendon and two premierships within 5 seasons. Can anyone picture our coach, "Barney the Dinosaur" achieving any of this? He said he's not hitting the panic button. Neither would I if I had a rock solid three year 500K a year contract. Sit back and stick to you ineffective plans, and collect at the end. Meanwhile the rest suffer. I hate to admit it, but we've done it again. Just as with Watson and Blight, and to a lesser extent Thomas, we didn't do our homework and made an impulsive decision in the hope the new man would finally be the messiah. In this case, Robert Walls stitched us up. Notice how this traditional "St.Kilda hater" has suddenly become RL's greatest apologist? Coincidence? I think not. He has to continually justify his decision in the face of overwhelming evidence. This is not a bitter, emotional rant. Check the facts and statistics. We are going backwards fast. And Barney the Dinosaur has no answers, or refuses to act. I hate to say it, but I think the former is the case. Paul Roos has eliminated one competitor in the race for the flag, without firing a shot in anger. All the evidence shows that Barney can't motivate, inspire, teach or lead. Great second or third banana at Sydney, not a leader's bootlace.

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Learn to write in paragraphs douche :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Given your post you may wish to change your post's title...

You do realise that The Trojan Horse actually resulted in Victory after many many years of being stalled...??????

PS: amongst the St Kilda haters that appointed RL was Ross Smith...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Richter
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:Learn to write in paragraphs douche :roll:
Double douche..... :roll: :roll:

First time poster comes online to rubbish his own club. Why not spare cyberspace and us from your idiotic opinions. Or perhaps just go and check out http://www.ilovemeherbabaandhisridiculo ... blings.com

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
the shadow
Club Player

Nice one. Your ignorance is staggering. Yes the Trojan Horse did result in victory. Victory for the people that sent it you moron. That was my point. The senders of the trojan horse are the victors. In this case Sydney and Paul Roos. I'm not bagging the club, just pointing out the facts. You damn yourself with your own idiocy. Nice analysis. Resort to petty childish abuse. You're the sort of person that has made our club the staggering success it is. Long may you wallow in your own stupidity. I really feel sorry for you. Perhaps some education and comprehension skills might help. I doubt it though. As for Double Douche. Oh the wit! The intelligence. Oscar Wilde lives! Stop it, you're killing me!

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough.

But the metaphor would have worked better if we'd picked Longmire.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Learn to write in paragraphs douche :roll:
Yep, that is way too big for my eyes to read....

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Coach Lyin has much to answer for.

Why should we with very potent forwards play the Swans game.

Lyin came from Fitzroy, as did Roos. I don't remember Fitzroy being a powerhouse in the 50 odd years I've been following the Saints.

Who are our assistant coaches?
Silvagni, full back of the century, last century. Only coaching experience St Kilda.
Barker, an injury prone Hawk who never achieved anything. Only coaching experience St Kilda.
Rock, North and Hawthorn littleman. Only coaching experience St Kilda.

Lyin also played 2 games for Brisbane, befor throwing the towel in, or was he dumped.

The game plan sucks and we are going nowhere.

I was excited at the beginning of this season, but have seen nothing to indicate anything will be better than the last 40 years since.
At least I have been at a Saints premiership win.
I despair for the young supporters who may never see one.

I really hope I am wrong. We have a new board that seems to be on the right track. We now need a coaching group that can get the list to perform at the level I know they can.

Ross, stop playing games and lyin to the media and supporters (closed training sessions are a load of crap). Adopt a long kicking, attacking game plan that suits our list. Play the G Train and get this team back on track.

John Barker, what have you got to offer? You've done nothing for 2 years.
Anthony Rock and Stephen Silvagni, earn your pay, that I and all Saints members are paying.

16 rounds to go, make them count.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

A decent post - so why the childish replies?
A first time poster may not be a fairweather friend as implied, today was my first on this particular site as well yet i've been a rabid sainter since i can remember (obviously longer than anyone born after the 60s). Is the idea to chase off any new voices or must they first pass a probationary period consisting solely of supporting or non-critical posts?

ps don't agree with the metaphor - but support the conclusion that we stuffed up with Lyon - big time.
Last time this happened we sacked a far bigger, proven coach in his first season - and his replacement turned us into a force - so don't be scared to wield the axe - delaying it will delay success!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Trojan Horse Ross Lyon

the shadow wrote:
Nice analysis. Resort to petty childish abuse. !
Does Barney the Dinosaur ring any bells??? Not childish is it????

Your post got the contempt it deserved.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Read the first few lines and frankly got bored.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

the shadow wrote: Our esteemed coach has all the charm and charisma of a caravan park.
Well spotted. Our gameplan mirrors the coach quite well.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

the shadow wrote: The senders of the trojan horse are the victors. !

Victory for the people that sent it you moron
According to you
the shadow wrote:In this case, Robert Walls stitched us up !
Er cough cough...you labelled the sender as one Mr Robert Walls...

Can you explain how Ross Smith, Walls and the others on the selection panel have a connection with the Swans....????

The selection Panel put up their "offering" to the Board and they took it...they were the senders...

nicola69
Club Player

I've put my 2 dinas in before on this and I'll say it again. The RL game plan is boring to the point of depressing and isn't winning enough games.

Under his game plan, we are relying on winning games by holding the opposition to lower scores than our own low score.

The winning streak we had late last season occured because the team reverted to the attacking style that took them to the finals for several years in a row. I think RL gave in after the initial failure of his Sh*tney Shavers boring pocket handkerchief SCG based plan. New season and he's doing it again. Perhaps after we've lost 11 playing his way, he'll give in again and let the players play their natural attacking style again so we can end up 11/11 and 9th.

The Sydney plan also relies on help from the umpire (AFL love child conspiracy theory). If scores are kept really low, that one crucial free at the right time makes the difference. Problem for RL is that he's not in charge of the AFL's love child - instead it's a struggling Victorian club. Can someone please tell him this? He's wasting his time waiting for them to blow the whistle instead of doing a good job.

And Shadow, I liked your caravan metaphor.

And Shadow, I liked the Trojan Horse metaphor too. The way RL makes the team play, you would think he'd been sent on a mission from Sydney to take out one of the opposition. Spot on.

RL also dresses like he found some old smelly track suits in a Brotherhood bin. It doesn't look good on tv.

And Bernard Shakey, your comments on the assistant coaches is interesting. It does look as if RL has made sure there are no aspirants waiting in the wings.

Final word: I am not getting off the RL bandwagon after one loss. Anyone who has read my posts over the past season will know I hated the RL game plan from the start.

'nuff said.

we exist on a brane - thank f*** for StK
asiu

all in all ..... not a bad read

thanx lads , good to experience some new thought patterns

chemistry equal momentum , in my world

Saint_in_SA
Club Player

Went to the game last night, have never been SO BORED at a football game. No taking the opposition on, no daring, no risk...The players were jacked off big time after the game, and quite rightly so.

As has been pointed out, the real risk is that we will lose members because people want to get some value for their hard earned. To kick only 9 goals against a side lacking confidence with the forward line we have got is a disgrace.

IMHO, the facts are:

- A 37 year old is still in our best 5, let alone best 22.
- They kick to Riewoldt when he has 2-3 blokes on him, this has been going on for years.
- Gram can't kick
- Neither can most of them.
- Our midfield simply do not kick goals, they spend too much time defending other parts of the ground.
- We are carrying blokes rather than playing kids, who are the future. if we are going to lose anyway, we may as well lose playing the junior burgers.
- We must do next to no skills training under pressure. And if so, why are inexperienced assistants trying to teach them? We are not skilled enough to play a Sydney style game. We are not skilled enough to cope with any gameplan.

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
groupie1
Club Player

i thought the post was valid, and may or may not prove accurate. St Kilda can panic as it has done in the past, or it can wait too long to act. I'm equally suspicious of Robert Walls - but surely his reputation relies on making good decisions - he wouldn't in other words appoint someone he'd know to fail. In fact, what better way to piss St Kilda off than to step in to appoint its savior?

Anyway - what kind of f**kwits respond to a post like they did? This forum would be better if people like SHADOW could post without receiving post-lobotomy, half-baked, moron responses typical of many posters here.

Good points SHADOW - I don't necessarily agree with your Roos or Walls conspiracy theories (although the Roos one makes more sense politically), and I do think we're all simply frustrated at the f**k-awful football St Kilda is dishing up, but otherwise, who knows, you may be proven correct.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
the shadow
Club Player

Gee Saint rising, I did get the replies I deserved. Thanks to all of you who took the trouble to make considered and analytical replies. Only "saint Rising" and Richter made negative replies. I've long been amused and embarrassed by your posts on this forum Saint Rising. If you care to read the posts again, you'll see the overwhelming majority (all but you and Richter) agreed with me. The point of this forum is to get some objective discussion going about the club we live and bleed for. I've been a member for 30 years and I hate to see the way the best list I've seen in all that time is being butchered by a man who has no flair, imagination or expertise and is too stubborn to adapt. Like the other posters on this site, I am fed up with watching a style of football that is boring and worse still, obsolete! The cats, bulldogs and hawks have shown us the way. There's no way we'll succeed with the style of play we currently use. The tragedy is compounded by the fact that we have so many talented players on our list, whose development is being retarded. Think back to the way Roo, Kosi, Dal, Ball, X etc. played late 2005. Three years later they should be in their prime, and we should be dominating the competition. I got excited watching them play, as did everyone else. They were awesome and a premiership seemed inevitable, given a modicum of luck with injuries. Now as I sit amongst fellow saints in aisle 32, all we can look forward to is 100 minutes of dour, predictable crap, and hope like hell we can some how eke out a win. I've been sitting amongst these same fans for the past 6 years and the consensus is we've gone from exciting to unwatchable. The Trojan Horse reference is not meant to be taken literally. It is a metaphor. A way of making a point. I desperately hope I'm wrong about RL and crew and that they ultimately bring success. I waited 28 games before firing the shot, because I fear they are incapable of delivering.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Good post Shadow, you make some very good points. Don't mind the people on this forum with thousands and thousands of posts, they just won't hear a bad word said about anyone at the club. They are the "supporters" who are part of the famous culture at the club.

The bottom line is that it's totally unacceptable the football we are playing with the personnel we have. And who is to blame? It's pretty obvious, but don't dare bag out the coach or players!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Given that I appear to have exerted a bad influence on the OP, I feel I should make a few comments.

First of all, I devised my Barney the Dinosaur tag for RL when feeling extremely angry after the loss to the Dogs. A number of posters accused me of being the pro-GT version of B4E, and I realised that I shouldn't be personal and decided to stop using it. So, Shadow, I would prefer that you didn't either.

I reckon Lyon is a nice bloke and is trying his best. The current situation is not really his fault (see below). Also, our performance on Saturday night (which I have now somehow been able to force myself to watch in replay) was hardly our worst under Lyon. What we have seen on this forum in the past two days is certainly a vast over-reaction: albeit one based on the unleashing of a lot of pent-up emotion.

Nor was Lyon's appointment a vast conspiracy involving Robert Walls, Paul Roos, Andrew Demetriou, the CIA, the man on the grassy knoll and Odysseus (among others).

If we really want to find someone to heap merde on about the way the club is going ATM, I can suggest a potential culprit. A man with absolutely no background in AFL, but with a huge previous career in soccer (he must have loved the 1-0 scoreline halfway through the first quarter on Saturday night) and selling photocopiers, but who nonetheless worked assiduously to sell to the previous board the idea that GT's approach to coaching was totally outdated and that what we needed to do was to sack him and bring in someone who was prepared to do it the Swans' way.

This same individual then played a part in perhaps the wankiest, executive search-style process of selecting a coach ever seen. A panel of people who had nothing to do with the Saints and everything to do with Fitzroy was brought in to conduct a process in which candidates filled out personality and aptitude tests, did simulated press conferences, etc, etc. Then they rorted the process by bringing in a late applicant that nobody had ever heard of and put him in the job.

The new candidate was allowed to pick his own mates to be his assistants: none of them with any background at the Saints and barely any coaching experience. And away we went with the Swans-style game.

To cap it all off, this same individual then moved on to stab the club chairman and most of the board in the back, sending them on their way at the end of the following season. He now reigns triumphant at the club, and is taking us to hell in a handcart. It all sounds a bit like the plot of Shakespeare's "Scottish play": which is another interesting coincidence when you think about it.

Anyway, enough already. I'm starting to get personal again.

My final comment is to convey my thanks to Richter: I'm tickled with the idea that I should have my own fan forum. Alas that the link didn't take you anywhere (ie, just like most of my posts).

Love to all

MB

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
matrix
Saintsational Legend

im flabagasted that Shadow didnt get called a cabbage!!!

no wonder half the members here dont post up and start threads.
they just get abused when they do....

asiu

interesting mb

imo , as discussed previously , butterrs brought in archie to 'do a job' ....which he did (gt)

then (imo , correctly , he took out the other party ) (rb)

i think ,given hindsight and the machinations in play, a fresh start was warranted

really, we are reaping our inability to stick to the 'ten year plan ' and our inability to evolve that plan as (was) needed

i haven't been a huge archie fan , but i dont think we can lay 'our' way at his front door

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:Fair enough.

But the metaphor would have worked better if we'd picked Longmire.
:lol: very clever.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
A panel of people who had nothing to do with the Saints and everything to do with Fitzroy was brought in to conduct a process in which candidates filled out personality and aptitude tests, did simulated press conferences, etc, etc.
Fitzroy people??? Nothing to do with the Saints???

The sub-committee compromised:

* Robert Walls...who yes had a Fitzroy connection....not to mention a few other AFL?VFL clubs as player and coach.

* Brownlow medallist Ross Smith. Fitzroy??? I though he was a former St Kilda player, Captain...and even coach???

* Ken Sheldon...who had played for Cartlon and the Saints...and also coached the Saints.

meher baba wrote: Then they rorted the process by bringing in a late applicant that nobody had ever heard of and put him in the job.
Unkown???

"I would love to see him take over this group, I was desperate to get him and I know he could fill the requirements of the role. I think he's extremely capable of getting into the driver's seat of this juggernaut and driving it straight ahead straight away. I know what he's like and I certainly know what the playing group's like, and I think he's a fantastic fit. That's based on intimate understanding I have of where St Kilda has been, where it currently is and, more importantly, where it needs to go. He would quickly move everyone in the club forward, which would be good." - Grant Thomas

Despite the outright misrepresenations in this string by some claiming to want to look at facts it is clear to anyone that actually looked at what went on that the appointment of Ross Lyon as a coach was both a reosonable and well considered one. Whether they ended up in fact making the best choice is open to debate.

While he may have been "unknown" to some "expert" St Kilda fans now posting their "facts" he was well known and well regarded within the AFL football industry at the time of his appointment.

A seperate issue is whether RL is good enough...and unlike many I will give him till the end of this season.

I have no problem with people posting criticism's of his coaching (and I like many have posted aspects I don't like)......but this whole we were stitched up by Robert Walls....or it's a Fitzroy or Swans plot is just complete bunkem.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

he's right.
robert walls didnt hire ross lyon now did he.

although waiting till the end of the season will be painful if we continue this style of play.
i dont like coaches getting sacked during the year, thats just stupid i reckon, doesnt do anything for morale of the players, the fans, the people who work at the club...nothing.
he'll be here at the helm next season, unless something really really really REALLY bad happens.
if we dont make the 8 he will still have a job (not my choice, just what i think will happen)