The Trojan Horse Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:he's right.
robert walls didnt hire ross lyon now did he.

although waiting till the end of the season will be painful if we continue this style of play.
i dont like coaches getting sacked during the year, thats just stupid i reckon, doesnt do anything for morale of the players, the fans, the people who work at the club...nothing.
he'll be here at the helm next season, unless something really really really REALLY bad happens.
if we dont make the 8 he will still have a job (not my choice, just what i think will happen)

I think that RL will have to the end of the season to show whether he has the players engaged or not.

From the outside looking in it is clear that something is not right.

IF it is that he cannot muster the troops then I doubt he will be there next year.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 28 Apr 2008 1:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
starsign
Club Player

good for you shadow!
don't necessarily agree will all your post but defend your right to have a go here!

( we could well do with a bit of the of the old "shadow" as the big blonde was affectionately known by his teamates in the 60's, out on the field at present also)

the arrogant responses you drew from some wonderful multiple posters with room temperature IQ was about as predictable as the way we are currently playing
Er cough cough...you labelled the
some seem to have empowered themselves with a sense of ownership over the site which comes through often against relatively low numbered posters

(remember the sense of empowerment over their future success that GT was instilling into the Saints....it seems to dropping off a bit lately judging by a few recent on field indicators)

the one quoted above gave me a nice how do you do wake up call on my very 1st post also, but i've kept on having a dip over the fast 4-5 weeks regardless

least you drew a few responses , most of my queries posted pass without comment

St.Kenny
Club Player

we are the fools for opening the gates to the Trojan horse.

If you spend time sifting through the opinions of many on this site you would realise the quality of the security guards manning our gates ensures that anyone with a half arsed reason could get into our inner sanctum and cause the mess we have today.

Thanks be to those who wished for change...........we got it alright .............from finals team to also rans !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
matrix
Saintsational Legend

[quote="saintsRrising"]

From the outside looking in it is clear that something is not right.[quote="saintsRrising"]

agreed....
whats he got left? end of this year or 2009, i cant remember.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
From the outside looking in it is clear that something is not right.
saintsRrising wrote:
agreed....
I believe he is on a 3 year deal?
Thst means end of 2009

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:good for you shadow!

the one quoted above gave me a nice how do you do wake up call on my very 1st post also, but i've kept on having a dip over the fast 4-5 weeks regardless
???? Your very first post I actually did not respond to at all.

However the first post of yours that I did respond to was below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
starsign
Club Player

Posted: Fri 18 Apr 9:31 am Post subject: Gerard Healey very perceptive on Saints set-up todays Sun

I think this article is very perceptive of our current set-up and game plans in fact the best I've read so far this season.
Comments?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

saintsRrising
SS 2008 Player Sponsor

Posted: Fri 18 Apr 9:33 am Post subject:

Perhaps if you say why it is very perecptive.

I like parts and not others.

For example I would not play Roo as a mid.

I have been posting for weeks that I prefer 2 tall forwards and not three given a choice of Kosi, Roo and GTrain.

I would not play Kosi asa No 1 ruck..his tap and bodywork is not good enough.

The article for those that have not seen it is at: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html
A nice how do you do wake up call????

I would have thought that rather as I had noted your low number of posts that I was giving a helpful hint that we could comment better if you gave us your views..

...and for the benefit of your request to have people comment on an article that you had not referenced I posted the link to it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:

agreed....
Mr Magic wrote: I believe he is on a 3 year deal?
Thst means end of 2009

Yes he is on a 3 year deal.

If he was terminated the Club would have to pay him out one year.

I am not advocating either retention or dismissal at present.

IMO it is way too early to make a call. That is for seasons end to make the assessment.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 28 Apr 2008 2:09pm, edited 3 times in total.

HarveysDeciple

Re: The Trojan Horse Ross Lyon

the shadow wrote:Gee Saint rising, I did get the replies I deserved. Thanks to all of you who took the trouble to make considered and analytical replies. Only "saint Rising" and Richter made negative replies. I've long been amused and embarrassed by your posts on this forum Saint Rising. If you care to read the posts again, you'll see the overwhelming majority (all but you and Richter) agreed with me. The point of this forum is to get some objective discussion going about the club we live and bleed for. I've been a member for 30 years and I hate to see the way the best list I've seen in all that time is being butchered by a man who has no flair, imagination or expertise and is too stubborn to adapt. Like the other posters on this site, I am fed up with watching a style of football that is boring and worse still, obsolete! The cats, bulldogs and hawks have shown us the way. There's no way we'll succeed with the style of play we currently use. The tragedy is compounded by the fact that we have so many talented players on our list, whose development is being retarded. Think back to the way Roo, Kosi, Dal, Ball, X etc. played late 2005. Three years later they should be in their prime, and we should be dominating the competition. I got excited watching them play, as did everyone else. They were awesome and a premiership seemed inevitable, given a modicum of luck with injuries. Now as I sit amongst fellow saints in aisle 32, all we can look forward to is 100 minutes of dour, predictable crap, and hope like hell we can some how eke out a win. I've been sitting amongst these same fans for the past 6 years and the consensus is we've gone from exciting to unwatchable. The Trojan Horse reference is not meant to be taken literally. It is a metaphor. A way of making a point. I desperately hope I'm wrong about RL and crew and that they ultimately bring success. I waited 28 games before firing the shot, because I fear they are incapable of delivering.
welcome to the forum, and your arguing your point well despite criticisms, but please hit the enter key a few times. A massive block of text is so hard to read without a single paragraph at all.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ok so end of 2009. thanks for that.
going to be interesting at the end of the year if we just miss out again on action in september.
i for one will think he will be allowed to see his contract out.
like saintsRrising, whether thats a good thing or not i dont know......yet

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Saint_in_SA wrote: - A 37 year old is still in our best 5
I love Harvs with all my heart - but you have got it in one!! Whilst ever Harvs is in our top 5 it serves only as a baraometer of where the team is at! Clearly 6 of our players aren't up to scratch! Harvey, while he is brilliant and should certainly be in our best 22, should only rate just outside of our top 10....at the very least. Surely??? So put simply, if you can gat another 10 players on our list to step-up and outplay Harvey, we'll be on a winner. Is that something too far beyond the relms of possibility???

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
congorozides
Club Player

cowboy18 wrote:Fair enough.

But the metaphor would have worked better if we'd picked Longmire.
gold!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
. A panel of people who had nothing to do with the Saints and everything to do with Fitzroy

.....and speaking of Fitzroy influences at the Saints...

As once mentioned by Shaggy about the 1985 Fitzroy team.....

Matthew Rendell Captain
Grant Thomas
Michael Nettlefold - Saints Football director at time of GT's appointment

So we evidently shafted Fitzroy people to get a Fitzroy person?????????????????????

A team which for the trivia buffs also had Paul Roos and Ross Lyon as player and Robert Walls as a Coach....
:wink:

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Learn to write in paragraphs douche :roll:
Double douche..... :roll: :roll:

First time poster comes online to rubbish his own club. Why not spare cyberspace and us from your idiotic opinions. Or perhaps just go and check out http://www.ilovemeherbabaandhisridiculo ... blings.com
Has every right to come on here and post his opinion Richter. Gives Lyon a thorough shellacking, but it's a passionate reasoned post from an obviously passionate Saints fan.
Have to say the doubts are there for me too. We're playing a brand of footy without passion or instinct. Boring is a good word. Impotent is another one.
The signs are poor. They have been since Round 1. Mediocre is where we're at.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:A decent post - so why the childish replies?
A first time poster may not be a fairweather friend as implied, today was my first on this particular site as well yet i've been a rabid sainter since i can remember (obviously longer than anyone born after the 60s). Is the idea to chase off any new voices or must they first pass a probationary period consisting solely of supporting or non-critical posts?

ps don't agree with the metaphor - but support the conclusion that we stuffed up with Lyon - big time.
Last time this happened we sacked a far bigger, proven coach in his first season - and his replacement turned us into a force - so don't be scared to wield the axe - delaying it will delay success!
Desertsaint, there's a number of posters on here with post counts in the several thousands who think they have the right to rubbish new posters and call them trolls just because they're new and they express an opinion that's critical of the STKFC. Happened to me as well when I started posting on here. Troll, donkey droppings, numbnuts etc were all part of my welcome to the site. Like you I've supported the Saints since the early 60's (too young to rememder '66) but that cut no mustard with the self-appointed guardians of the site.
Best option I've discovered is to just accept that everywhere you go there are bullies, ignore them and see that there are lots of posters on here who love the Saints and have lots to offer in their thinking about the direction of the club. Just ignore the turbulence and keep on posting.

the shadow
Club Player

The Trojan Horse Ross Lyon

Apologies MB about plagiarising your excellent nickname of Barney. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I didn't get it from your post. I heard it used by a couple of disgruntled fans at the Dome, as RL made his way from the arena. Obviously they thought it was pretty apt as well. You should be getting royalties! Anyway, I thought it was much funnier and appropriate than the one my mates and I had bestowed on him. We had come up with "Joycey" as in Alan Joyce, the dour former hawks coach, who somehow managed to guide the mighty Hawthorn sides of 1988 and 1991 to premierships. It was famously said by one of the players in the '91 side that, "We one two flags in spite of that *&^%, not because of him." Apparently the Bulldogs players whom he later almost coached into oblivion, agreed with that sentiment. Anyhow, I can't help thinking RL is a clone of Joyce, boring, stubborn, arrogant and lacking in flair and interpersonal skills. I fervently hope he can "fluke" two premierships the way Joyce did, but alas, the day's of the Hawthorn - like superlists of the 80's are far gone. On a happier note, I found your observations on AF very interesting and quite possibly spot on. You've always got to be suspicious of the sole survivor of such a complete coup/cleanout. The comparison with MacBeth is well made, but we all know what happened to MacBeth in the end, don't we? Well Saint Rising wouldn't, but we could always get someone to explain it to him/her. Finally, the last word on Walls. He had a major say in the final recommendation for the senior coaching position. I never said Walls wanted to stitch St.Kilda up. Quite the opposite. It's in his best interests as a consultant to make sound, effective decisions that enhance his reputation. He did however, go to great lengths to ensure his mate got the job, even if he was well meaning. My point was, he continues to pump RL's tyres up in the complete absence of any objective supporting evidence. In doing this, he is only trying to save his own reputation, not help our club. He would be better off having a heart to heart to RL about what's gone so dreadfully wrong.

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Trojan Horse Ross Lyon

the shadow wrote:

, we didn't do our homework and made an impulsive decision in the hope the new man would finally be the messiah. In this case, Robert Walls stitched us up. . .
So one day it is Robert Walls stitched us up....after making impulsive decisions....
the shadow wrote:
. I never said Walls wanted to stitch St.Kilda up. Quite the opposite. It's in his best interests as a consultant to make sound, effective decisions that enhance his reputation. He did however, go to great lengths to ensure his mate got the job, even if he was well meaning. .
And the next day it is no I never said Walls wanted to stitch up us up.....and it is in Wall's interests to be making sound , effective decisions.????

You name yourself possibly after The Shadow (or perhaps from jumping at shadows???), but obviously believe that his team mate Ross Smith is some type of puppet to Walls???????????.

I obviously have a lot more respect for Ross Smith than you do.

I can understand your displeasure about having to watch boring football...and the Saints not playing well....but I don't accept that Ross Smith is Wall's stooge so that Walls could inappropriately give the job to RL.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

And IIRC Ross Smith was given the task of chairing our review of the Medical side of things by the Club. SO they (the Board(s) obviously feel that he is a worthwhile contributor.

bergsone
SS Life Member

rendell was the one we needed to keep hate the game plan get the ball in quick big fowards need one on one not one on two or three didnt g train kick goals this way under a different game plan first timer here

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:rendell was the one we needed to keep hate the game plan get the ball in quick big fowards need one on one not one on two or three didnt g train kick goals this way under a different game plan first timer here
English please when posting.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:rendell was the onewe needed to keep
hate the game plan
get the ball in quick
big fowards need one on one
not one on two or three
didnt g train kick goals this way under a different game plan
first timer here
Welcome bergsone.

I and I'm sure others would appreciate if you would ammend your posts so that they either contain punctuation marks or paragraphs (or both would be preferable).
Some of us are old-timers and have difficulty reading txt messages.
With your permission I have ammended your post, as above, to what I think is what you were trying to say? :)

mischa
Club Player

Re: The Scumbag (yes I mean Saintsational's favorite) Robert Walls. It is worth noting that up to a certain point the 3 contenders were Longmire, Bond and McKenna. RL hadn't applied. Walls insisted he do so (admitted it on 'On the Couch') and the rest is history.....I'm just saying. Please don't shoot the messenger (Is that Caro? Oh another one of Saintsationals favorites).

"Thanks korters. If Richmond kick more goals they'll win"-R.Scumbag (nee Walls)

The All Spin Zone-Saintsational.com
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Becoming the laughing stock of the AFL with that putrid boring game style is one thing....

BUT can we afford to take the hit in our supporter/member base? Why is no one else worried about this? OK, maybe its not at the top of the list, granted, but its still damn important.

If we play another few rounds of this absolute crap, whats going to happen to our crowds? What about membership next year, shudder at the thought!

NOW, is NOT a good time in the games history to be taking big hits in attendances/membership.

bergsone
SS Life Member

thanks mr.magic .getting better at pc slowly,about as slow as we move the ball.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:thanks mr.magic .getting better at pc slowly,about as slow as we move the ball.
no problem! :)

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

mischa wrote:Re: The Scumbag (yes I mean Saintsational's favorite) Robert Walls. It is worth noting that up to a certain point the 3 contenders were Longmire, Bond and McKenna. RL hadn't applied. Walls insisted he do so (admitted it on 'On the Couch') and the rest is history.....I'm just saying. Please don't shoot the messenger (Is that Caro? Oh another one of Saintsationals favorites).
Suspicious.

tin foil hat time me lads.