You know what I think

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milne
Club Player

You know what I think

Whenever we lose a few games everyone calls for the coaches head. So we sack the coach, get a new one every few months and repeat it all over again. This is why we will never be successful.

sainters man
Club Player

I agree mate if we win this week everyone will love him again...i think its just the way we lost on saturday night...that is the worst ive seen them play for a while!

But something has to give and i think it (game style) will work it self out or young rossy will lose supporters

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: You know what I think

Milne wrote:Whenever we lose a few games everyone calls for the coaches head. So we sack the coach, get a new one every few months and repeat it all over again. This is why we will never be successful.
It's just the fans on here letting off a bit of steam. Thankfully, the club does NOT share the views of those who think like that !!

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I agree mate if we win this week everyone will love him again...i think its just the way we lost on saturday night...that is the worst ive seen them play for a while!
Agreed, that loss was just particularly bad because it makes ordinary opposition look good.

GrumpyOne

Eastern wrote:
Milne wrote:Whenever we lose a few games everyone calls for the coaches head. So we sack the coach, get a new one every few months and repeat it all over again. This is why we will never be successful.
It's just the fans on here letting off a bit of steam. Thankfully, the club does NOT share the views of those who think like that !!
Unfortunately, if enough fans make their views known, a sacked coach is usually the outcome, or the board is voted out.

Milne
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:
Eastern wrote:
Unfortunately, if enough fans make their views known, a sacked coach is usually the outcome, or the board is voted out.
exactly what we don't need right now.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I am 41 years old. Statistically my life is more than half over. I've seen 1 losing Grand final in my lifetime (1997) - too young to remember 1971. Night Grand finals count for nothing.

Saw a list with great talent but not much depth in the early 90's not reach their full potential.

1997 - enough said.

Saw a list with great talent but crucifed with injury miss their opportunity in 2004 & 05.

This current list is strong and window wont stay open for much longer. 17th & 18th teams coming into comp soon. Some say our window is closed - I think that if we dont get a flag in the next 2 years then its going to be a slide back into the also-rans for the next 10 - 15 years as the AFL is going to pump a lot of energy into ensuring the 17th & 18th teams taste success.

That means that in my lifetime there are probably going to be 1 or 2 more windows of opportunity.

I am not alone - there are plenty more like me. Desperate for a flag - frustrated at our lack of success. Frustrated that we appear to be going backwards (again) as a club.

I do not call for the coaches head - but I can understand why plenty do.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
JeffDunne

People aren't reacting on the back of a few loses.

People are reacting after sitting through 28 games of uninspiring football.

Even when we win, we've usually blown an opportunity to bury an opponent by conceeding what should have been a match winning lead.

In those 28 games I'm struggling to think of one where we've played close to 4 solid quarters of football.

It's debateable whether our list is good enough to win a flag. What's not debateable is that our list is better than the s*** we're being served up.

People are pissed and I'm one of them.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Do you realistically think the coach will get sacked?

I dont think so.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

I dont think so.
Unless we see a dramatic change in the way the team is playing, I reckon he will be gone before the end of the season. I don't think Westaway left much room for doubt in his comments the other day. The thinly disguised sub-text was "stop blaming the players and lift your performance, or start packing your bags".

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Spinner wrote:

I dont think so.
Unless we see a dramatic change in the way the team is playing, I reckon he will be gone before the end of the season. I don't think Westaway left much room for doubt in his comments the other day. The thinly disguised sub-text was "stop blaming the players and lift your performance, or start packing your bags".
Funny, That's not the way I read it.
I didn't read anything 'sinister' or 'warning like' into those comments at all.
I suppose it is another example of our own perspective (bias?) leading us to the conclusion we are looking for? :)

Milne
Club Player

Spinner wrote:

I dont think so.
How many coaches have we ever sacked at our club? Too many.
I don't want to see the coach get the sack, but I know it's going to happen, and to the next coach too.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

The question you have to ask is how long does it take for a coach to start connecting with the playing group and outputting something like a winning culture. No answer, probably differs with every coach. Not every coach suits every playing group.

Ross Lyon seems to care more than Malcolm Blight ever did. He's definitely got more experience than Timmy. He looks like a good coach.

But by god the team is playing disgusting football this year.

aussiejones
Club Player

"Not every coach suits every playing group."

Isnt it up to the coach to get the playing group to do what they are told ?

Ok you cannot teach old dogs new tricks but isnt the coach in charge and IF we have a reasonably talented group then why cant they deliver consistently ?

We play well at times then seem to loose concentration , skils , intensity .

Is it fitness that is lacking ?

Or Teamwork .

Well I am glad at least I was there in 1966 , I am hoping for another

clobba
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:People aren't reacting on the back of a few loses.

People are reacting after sitting through 28 games of uninspiring football.

Even when we win, we've usually blown an opportunity to bury an opponent by conceeding what should have been a match winning lead.

In those 28 games I'm struggling to think of one where we've played close to 4 solid quarters of football.

It's debateable whether our list is good enough to win a flag. What's not debateable is that our list is better than the s*** we're being served up.

People are pissed and I'm one of them.
Articulated my thoughts perfectly JD :? :evil:

Milne
Club Player

Saints43 wrote:
So you're unhappy that Tim Watson was asked to resign?

A lot of people get into coaching and can't do it. They have to be moved on.
I was very happy that we got rid of him. I however hated that we got rid of Malcom Blight so quickly, and how Stan Alves was shown the door.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

aussiejones wrote:"Not every coach suits every playing group."

Isnt it up to the coach to get the playing group to do what they are told ?

Ok you cannot teach old dogs new tricks but isnt the coach in charge and IF we have a reasonably talented group then why cant they deliver consistently ?

We play well at times then seem to loose concentration , skils , intensity .

Is it fitness that is lacking ?

Or Teamwork .

Well I am glad at least I was there in 1966 , I am hoping for another
Pagan wins premierships at North Melbourne, drives Carlton into an endless loser mentality. Blight gives Adelaide 2 premierships, gives stkilda spoons.

Why? A good coach should get the same response from any playing group?? No he won't.

The stkilda players clearly don't give a s*** about Ross Lyon's plan. They have no belief. They just go through the motions. Mediocre football seething with apathy.

There's no simple answer at the moment. No answers.

Good luck Ross and the saints players. Every single fan is waiting for it to click..

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ffs he wont get the sack....
unless we finish in the bottom three or something stupid he will be quite safe to see out his contract next year...
i reckon he'll be at the helm even if we dont play finals footy

(not saying thats my pref)