Our history of trading stars

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BallBanger
Club Player

degruch wrote:
Sobraz wrote:On a side note, Russell Green was traded, and did not 'leave'.. He turned up to training and was told, Rus, tonight your training with Hawthorn...
Greene claimed he was offered a great deal by the Hawks and fronted up for them week after he left the Saints. Well, at least that's what he said in an interview a few years back.
crap!! greene was picked in the saints side before traded and was phoned on Friday and told he's playing tomorrow with hawthorn

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our history of trading stars

Winmar7Fan wrote:
bobmurray wrote:[quote="Solar
The kid broke his leg in 1997 and the hawks gave him a longer contract so he left. There was a chance he might never had go back, he did and the rest is historyquote]

He actually did his knee quite badly and was out for well over 12 months
after having a knee reconstruction.I dont think StKilda were prepared to offer him a reasonable contract due to the severity of his injury so Hawthorn did.they had to wait 12 months for him to come good anyway
Thats exactly what happened . After all other players contracts were sewn up they told him there was no money and contract to fit him in .

I couldn't believe the talent and promise this young kid was developing and does his knee and the club S**t themselves and put a bullet through his head like a lame race horse.
[/quote][/quote]

Yeah...bit the same for Dean Rice too. But either of them could have turned into a Jason Cripps too, or a Aaron Hamill. Its a fine line. I was sad to see Joel Smith go though.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

degruch wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
bobmurray wrote:[quote="Solar
The kid broke his leg in 1997 and the hawks gave him a longer contract so he left. There was a chance he might never had go back, he did and the rest is historyquote]

He actually did his knee quite badly and was out for well over 12 months
after having a knee reconstruction.I dont think StKilda were prepared to offer him a reasonable contract due to the severity of his injury so Hawthorn did.they had to wait 12 months for him to come good anyway
Thats exactly what happened . After all other players contracts were sewn up they told him there was no money and contract to fit him in .

I couldn't believe the talent and promise this young kid was developing and does his knee and the club S**t themselves and put a bullet through his head like a lame race horse.
Yeah...bit the same for Dean Rice too. But either of them could have turned into a Jason Cripps too, or a Aaron Hamill. Its a fine line. I was sad to see Joel Smith go though.
[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Yeh but who trades top players like Rice and a teenage Joel Smith virtually before they under the knife and not see how they come up first? Hawthorn weren't at all put off and snapped him up as did Carlton with Rice .

We looked like real fools, we didn't trade Harvey and Hayes when they did serious knee injuries and Richmond weren't stupid enough to trade Nathan Brown after snapping his leg in half . Our Circus of a club are famous for doing stupid things like that .

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Yeah...bit the same for Dean Rice too. But either of them could have turned into a Jason Cripps too, or a Aaron Hamill. Its a fine line. I was sad to see Joel Smith go though.[/quote]
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Thu 12 Jun 2008 11:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:
degruch wrote:
Sobraz wrote:On a side note, Russell Green was traded, and did not 'leave'.. He turned up to training and was told, Rus, tonight your training with Hawthorn...
Greene claimed he was offered a great deal by the Hawks and fronted up for them week after he left the Saints. Well, at least that's what he said in an interview a few years back.
crap!! greene was picked in the saints side before traded and was phoned on Friday and told he's playing tomorrow with hawthorn
Whatever...just quoting the man himself. Of course, he could have been talking it up. Got any other brilliant commentry to add?

BallBanger
Club Player

degruch wrote:
BallBanger wrote:
degruch wrote:
Whatever...just quoting the man himself. Of course, he could have been talking it up. Got any other brilliant commentry to add?
Just the facts...the problems are not who we have traded out but filling our list with rejects/average players who have not made any impact at another club and not looking at snagging good kid/s for future.
Lets face it the coach is concerned about his own arse and can't wait for developing youngsters

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Actually we didn't treat Joel Smith in the least bit poorly. He was offered a 2 year deal worth about $100k a year. Hawthorn just had Dunstall and a few others retire and had a bit of cash to throw around. They offered Joel $300 grand guaranteed, he'd just had a baby & like any 19 year old with a car crash like knee injury would do, he left.

As said, Plugger left (he wanted Richmond or Collingwood but the Tigers wanted to give us crap players, we wanted Richo, they declined and the Pies knocked back recruiting him at board level). We didn't do particularly well out of the deal considering the Swans had early draft picks that year (they had picks 2 & 3- A.Rocca & S.Grant). I think we got Chris Hemley and Steve Sziller directly plus some bloke from Hawthorn)

Barry left for $$$ & a change. We benefitted by getting Dal.

Spider was a great trade...until we traded one of the picks for Brooks.

Lappin was a puzzling trade. We got Begley in return.

Ricey was a mistake.

Greene, Stewart, etc were before my time.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Joel Smith was offered a 1 year contract on $200K by Saints, to sit on his bum and allow his knee to recover.

Hawks offered him $400K for 2 years.

He took the money. Always has . Had a reputation as a kid in the Ovens and Murray League of playing for the highest bidder.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Joel Smith was offered a 1 year contract on $200K by Saints, to sit on his bum and allow his knee to recover.

Hawks offered him $400K for 2 years.

He took the money. Always has . Had a reputation as a kid in the Ovens and Murray League of playing for the highest bidder.
Gee I haven't heard that one I remember back then when it happened and I'm almost sure he barely had the knee op when the club told him they weren't confident and willing to take a chance on his knee and putting him up and Hawthorn came forward . WHERE'S MY INFO MAN DAN WARNA ?

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Your information isn't quite correct, most of those left of their own accord. Russell Green didn't. In fact he didn't know he had been traded till Don Scott rang him and congratulated him on becoming a Hawk. Bad mistake.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Your information isn't quite correct, most of those left of their own accord. Russell Green didn't. In fact he didn't know he had been traded till Don Scott rang him and congratulated him on becoming a Hawk. Bad mistake.
None of 'em were forced off the plantation at gunpoint...we just didn't trade wisely when they departed (apart from Hall). Stewart and Greene were back in the bad ol' days when it was a lot easier to walk out, so we probably didn't have much advantage.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

With Joel Smith, we had cap problems - we had just made the GF - and there were a few others ahead of him in the queue. Because his injury required him to have two operations, ruling him out until at least the start of the 1999 season we were reluctant to pay him the money for a two year contract. The decision was understandable at the time but looks worse in hindsight.

And I repeat what others have said, Russell Greene did not walk out - he was traded without his knowledge.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:With Joel Smith, we had cap problems - we had just made the GF - and there were a few others ahead of him in the queue. Because his injury required him to have two operations, ruling him out until at least the start of the 1999 season we were reluctant to pay him the money for a two year contract. The decision was understandable at the time but looks worse in hindsight.

And I repeat what others have said, Russell Greene did not walk out - he was traded without his knowledge.
bulls***...I'm 'others'. :lol:

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Joel Smith wasn't offered any contracts by St Kilda. The Club Dr at the time said he would never play again so he was delisted. Same thing happened with one of the Waklins (always forget which one, Shane I think).

longtimesaint
Club Player

Actually the Russell Greene trade was initiated by Jesaulenko (a candidate for StKilda's worst coach) at a time when mid-year trades were allowed.
Jesaulenko was keen on a full forward (I think it was Mark Scott or similar name) who was a player who could dominate reserve grade but was useless in senior teams.
We received a couple of other players who were even worse.
None of them played more than a handfull of games, so would be one of our worst trades.

One year will be our year
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

longtimesaint wrote:Actually the Russell Greene trade was initiated by Jesaulenko (a candidate for StKilda's worst coach) at a time when mid-year trades were allowed.
Jesaulenko was keen on a full forward (I think it was Mark Scott or similar name) who was a player who could dominate reserve grade but was useless in senior teams.
We received a couple of other players who were even worse.
None of them played more than a handfull of games, so would be one of our worst trades.
Absolutely correct. The best thing about Mark Scott was he won me a bet once when we played Fitzroy and won. I think he kicked 7 goals and won me a dinner at La Restaurante. Possibly the only decent game he played for us.

Ok he did slightly better than I thought after consulting my St Kilda Encyclopedia. Played for us for 3 years, played 34 games and kicked 110 goals. Topped the goal kicking for us in 1980 with 48 goals. Went on to play with Fitzroy. Tony King was one of the others, he played a massive 12 games and I have no idea who the other one was. Should have kept Greene, he was a gun.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

I can still remember Mark Scott and his ability to keep the white stripe on the front of his jumper clean no matter how muddy the Moorabbin mud was.
I also have memories that Tony King's first game was actually pretty good. He was still wearing his brown and yellow boots that the Hawks players wore at the time.

I actually think losing Shane Wakelin was a big loss. He was a late developer and I think he had played around three seasons in the reserves. He is clearly leadership material now both on and off the field.

It was also odd that players who won best and fairests in the mid 80s tended to leave eg, Crow, Morwood, Kiel.

Jeff Dunne was my favourite player as a teenager and I was devastated when he went to Richmond. However, he never really hit the form that he had shown in 1978 - the most interesting of seasons, and the couple of years after.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
longtimesaint
Club Player

The Shane Wakelin de-listing was certainly one of StKilda's worst decisions.
I read an article at the time that he was keen to continue at the Saints, but Malcolm Blight didn't want him and he was de-listing with us receiving nothing in return.
He has now played 150 games for Collingwood -not a bad pick-up for nothing!

One year will be our year
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Joel Smith wasn't offered any contracts by St Kilda. The Club Dr at the time said he would never play again so he was delisted. Same thing happened with one of the Waklins (always forget which one, Shane I think).
holy crap it wasnt dr nick riveria (spelling) from the simpsons was it..
most of got his dr degree from a wheeties box.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Joel Smith wasn't offered any contracts by St Kilda. The Club Dr at the time said he would never play again so he was delisted. Same thing happened with one of the Waklins (always forget which one, Shane I think).
That is incorrect. Sa previosly stated was offerred a longer term contract with more money at the Hawks and as it was doubtful he may play again did what anyone would do and took the longer contract.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Not incorrect, straight from the horses mouth.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Thanks Saint Bev thats exactly how i remember it .

I'm Making a change of my Info and Stats Man

Out - Dan Warna
In - Saint Bev
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Fri 13 Jun 2008 4:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Not incorrect, straight from the horses mouth.
Well he lied then because if the Saints did that it would have been a massive issue us delisting one of our best young players after receiving an injury. No matter how bad the injury was we were never going to just delist him. It just isnt true.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:Not incorrect, straight from the horses mouth.
Well he lied then because if the Saints did that it would have been a massive issue us delisting one of our best young players after receiving an injury. No matter how bad the injury was we were never going to just delist him. It just isnt true.
It was a massive issue and i remember it all in the media at the time just like Saint Bev said but what is so unbelievable about that there's plenty of things like that thats happened ?
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Fri 13 Jun 2008 4:28pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I had lunch with him the day after it happened, he was devestated, so a very good actor. No reason to lie. Hawthorn wasn't even on the sceen then.

I don't pretend to know what happened with his contract. But it doesn't make sense that St Kilda would offer him a new contract with an injury like that, So maybe he wasn't delisted, just out of contract.