Would they change the rules??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

janator
Club Player

Would they change the rules??

Suppose we won the flag this year........ and Rob Harvey got injured in the preliminary final and didn't play in the premiership. do you think the AFL would ever change the rules for being awarded a premiership medallion. Can you imagine how big a story it would be, I think they would definitely consider it......

thoughts?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

No.

However I think there is a case to have some type of recognition for everyone that plays a senior game during the season that wins the Premiership.

ie last year when Blake playeda lot of games , but then missed out on the GF.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Robert Harvey wouldn't want a medal if he didn't play in the winning GF.

And I don't agree with the thought of giving a medal to a bloke who played seniors that particular year either.

For one it devalues the actual premiership 22 and I doubt any player worth his salt would accept a 'token' gesture of a medal.

It must stay as the ultimate achievement.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
bozza1980
Club Player

It's an interesting one.

Especially as match ups become more and more important and a player may be selected against a certain team or in certain conditons but not against another or in other conditions.

The old "team balance" could see a player who would be selected if the GF was against any of the other 14 teams miss selection.

I don't know of a fair way of doing it, but it least the current way is cut and dried.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

On current form Banger is earning his place in the side.

tbh there is an arguement if he's fit enough to keep him on longer!

if he's injured it would break the hearts of 99% of decent AFL fans if he didn't get a premiership medal.

as is, I reckon about 1/2 the AFL fans are secretly cheering teh saints to win a flag FOR harvey.

they may hate our guts, but Banger is now a playing legend.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

And I don't agree with the thought of giving a medal to a bloke who played seniors that particular year either.

For one it devalues the actual premiership 22 and I doubt any player worth his salt would accept a 'token' gesture of a medal.

It must stay as the ultimate achievement.
Totally disagree... If and its a big if we did happen to win the flag this year then a big reason we even had a shot is because of the last 3 weeks where we won games to put us in a position to even make the 8. 3 blokes who played a part in that were Eddy, Allen and to lesser extent Gwilt. These same blokes may not get a game in our best side but without them the guys who do get the chance to play off in the GF may not have even got the opportunity to do so.

I like the way the NFL give rings to everyone in the organisation, including all listed players and support staff.... including the boot studder.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

What if one bloke played one game, a loss. Should he still be awarded a 'premiership team medal'?

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

THE AFL CHANGE A RULE THAT BENEFITS A PLAY ARE U MAD?

We all know they only change rules that benefit themselves (ie. - interchange rule changed because they weren't prepared to do anything against the cheats that committed the original crime - Sydney). They aren't going to change anything for a player especially a Victorian based player. Had it been Goodes in the predicament they would at least consider it. The tools that run this game are only interested in the bottom line and anything that is going to cost $$$ is not worth it to them. Therefore any person in Victoria , Tasmania with any interest in AFL re not as important to the AFL as those in NSW and QLD who couldn't give a toss about the game.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
Joey
Club Player

They should take on the way the european soccer leagues award medals. The player has to play a certain amount of senior games before they would be eligeable.

A champion is not defined by a number of wins, but by the courage shown to get up when your down
Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

lay of the wacky tobaccy mate.... its screwin' with ya head!

mick13
Club Player

We'd stick him on the bench and beat the other team with 21. :)

When we're up by 10 goals with 2 minutes to go Harves would hobble onto the ground, with the ball finishing in his hands!

Giggity.

Saints in 20??
Club Player

Funny though im 41 i think of Banger being older than me. I hope he wins a premiership or failing that, the two of us live to see a St.Kilda Premiership. i can't even imagine how it would feel.

Raven
Club Player

Surely if we made the GF he'd still be in the 22 even if injured? They'd give him a brief run on the field anyway, right? :P Depends how bad the injury was. :wink: 8-)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

AFL is a team sport.

Anyone who plays a game in a premiership year has contributed to that premiership.

In the NFL and NBA all players on the roster get a championship ring.

I'm not saying that we should do that, but anyone who plays a senior game is part of that premiership and should be recognised.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell