We blew it

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

We blew it

Had everything to play for, yet West Coast wanted it more than us.

Right now we could have been sitting 1 game clear in 5th spot and challenging top 4, but by 5 o'clock tomorrow we will be 9th and out of the 8.

This game was lost on Thursday night when the selectors failed to select a second forward to compliment Roo and replace Kosi.

No problem with M Gardiner selection, he changing with King off bench would have been fine, but we needed Allen, Charlie Gardiner or Ferguson in the side to give us a second option.

We stagnated because we only had the one target in the forward line to kick to instead of two or three.

The extra targets would have spread their defence and bought players like Milne and Schneider into the game. Actually Milne did all that was expected of him other than miss a set shot at goal.

We do not travel well and this performance does not fill me with confidence for the Fremantle game.

I do hope the club tells the AFL in no certain terms that we are not to have 2 trips to WA in 4 weeks next year and I do hope words are said to Geischen over the poor standard of umpiring we had to endure and clear home town decisions made.

But the umpires didn't cost us the game we did and if we can't beat West Coast right now we don't belong in the 8 let alone the top 4.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: We blew it

3rd generation saint wrote:

This game was lost on Thursday night when the selectors failed to select a second forward to compliment Roo and replace Kosi.

Can you explain why we dominated the first quarter then...even with roo missing 3 quite easy shots at goal.

Now yes hindsight...and even foresight may have said that Gardi as a FF is not a good option...but that did not cost us the game.

What cost us the game was a poor workrate and sloppy skills by about two thirds of the team.

We only lost by two goals and a half decent application and use of the ball would have seena win.

Now I am not backing away from poor coaching either..Staker..and then Lynch were both allowed way too much space for to long.

But you cannot win games when players dish up the rubbish that too many of them did today.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
maverick
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:

Can you explain why we dominated the first quarter then...even with roo missing 3 quite easy shots at goal.

Now yes hindsight...and even foresight may have said that Gardi as a FF is not a good option...but that did not cost us the game.

What cost us the game was a poor workrate and sloppy skills by about two thirds of the team.

We only lost by two goals and a half decent application and use of the ball would have seena win.

Now I am not backing away from poor coaching either..Staker..and then Lynch were both allowed way too much space for to long.

But you cannot win games when players dish up the rubbish that too many of them did today.
The game was lost at selection for mine, going in one tall short meant the players had to run further to create options, and they finished the game out on their feet.

V poor for mine, just shows how much Kosi means to us structure wise...

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Yes we dominated the first 15 minutes, then West Coast started clogging up our forward line and double teaming roo.

That meant we were predictable and another forward target would have opened up our forward line and spread their defence.

Roo was terrific and yes we were poor in the last three quarters because we didn't move the ball quickly, and I think you will find that came about because we only had one target up forward.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

We were crap.

Forget the umpires and forget any miss in the team selection..

WE LACK DESIRE AND THE EAGLES HAD THAT DESIRE TO WIN..

My point is just why were they that desperate to win compared to us...

Farken pathetic really, and it's games like this that has cost us time and time again....

Lack of concentration, or what ever, has been the result of our failure for the last 10 years...

farken pathetic, and this may have cost us a top 4 chance....

farken pathetic, time and time again they disappoint :evil:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

yeah...well ...that's the curse of being a saints supporter.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintly_safes
Club Player

Totally agree after the first quater they changed their game plan to counteract ours but we didnt have a plan B & appeared hesitant & confused

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:The game was lost at selection for mine, going in one tall short meant the players had to run further to create options, and they finished the game out on their feet. V poor for mine, just shows how much Kosi means to us structure wise.
agree. we just couldn't put a score on the board after quarter time.

too much kick-it-to-roo. you'd reckon we'd have learned that lesson by now.

allen, gehrig, even bj or gilbert, might have taken the pressure off him just a bit.

instead we mindlessly kick it to a guy who is being double teamed and otherwise well held.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Yes we dominated the first 15 minutes, then West Coast started clogging up our forward line and double teaming roo.

That meant we were predictable and another forward target would have opened up our forward line and spread their defence.

Roo was terrific and yes we were poor in the last three quarters because we didn't move the ball quickly, and I think you will find that came about because we only had one target up forward.
yes. you'd reckon we would have learned our lesson on that one by now

oh when
Club Player

We were out coached - we played the first 15 mins with Roo getting the ball and then they simply put two on Roo and crunched him in every contest and as we did not have Kosi we had no alternative plan to bring the ball into the forward line. Then we start the sideway/backwards turnover goal to them football which puts pressure on many of our players who cannot deal with it - which leads to poor decision making and poor disposal, sloppy football and loss of game.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

There was not too much kick it to Roo.

There was to much kick it to WC.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Had everything to play for, yet West Coast wanted it more than us.

Right now we could have been sitting 1 game clear in 5th spot and challenging top 4, but by 5 o'clock tomorrow we will be 9th and out of the 8.
I wonder if this occured to anyone of the players when they ran out today?

No, seriously - did anyone think about this?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Not meaning to be pickey, Roo did miss 3 but had another smothered. Goddard, 2 stupid frees for a push in the back, followed straight away with Gilbert doing the same thing, not to mention no Max. Should have smashed them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but we didn't :twisted: :roll:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

oh when wrote:we played the first 15 mins with Roo getting the ball and then they simply put two on Roo and crunched him in every contest.
we should have seen that coming a mile off.

how often can we make the same mistake? if it wasn't so heartbreaking it would be laughable.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:Had everything to play for, yet West Coast wanted it more than us.

I wonder if this occured to anyone of the players when they ran out today?

No, seriously - did anyone think about this?
From what the media has us to believe is that are just focused on the game and thats it ....

Yeah righto and .....

......sitting in equal last place ,we have the ...the Eagles...

Just the two wins and no hope for the finals....

........in the other corner we have the Saints... 4 wins in a row and looking to secure a chance for the top 4...

WRONG...... A F*** UP, AND REMEMBER JUST WHO YOU PLAY FOR.....

The side that has a history of farking up when it comes to the crunch....

a player that kicks 6 goals straight one week and farks up the next week..

with at least 2 easy shots gone...

A coach who had faith in Fiora (yet showed F*** all) and for some reason continues to show F*** all....

But for some reason selects him and SHOWS F*** ALL....

Just why were the Eagles more desperate than us is in fact mind boggling

and history repeats ...........

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
JeffDunne

The sad reality is that we won the last 4 on effort alone.

The only game we really controlled was the Carlton game.

North blew their chance to put us away. So too Hawthorn.

Once the effort drops marginally we are a very beatable team.

Sadly for us the opposition know it.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:The sad reality is that we won the last 4 on effort alone.

The only game we really controlled was the Carlton game.

North blew their chance to put us away. So too Hawthorn.

Once the effort drops marginally we are a very beatable team.

Sadly for us the opposition know it.
So in your opinion "our effort " is different to our skill???

And in your opinion North are more skill than us???

I know our "effort" was p1ss poor against the eagles so are they more skilled than us... :roll:

What total crock....

Don't even suggest that FFS..........

You dont win games on effort without skill...

So in your opinion North, Freo Carlton and Hawthorn are clubs we beat on effort alone and THEY BLEW THEIR CHANCE????

yeah righto I suppose Freo controlled the match...

Just where are you coming from with that comment ???

SainterX
Club Player

No player in their right mind would play like they did today unless they were instructed to.

Not even Melbourne or Fremantle does that.

The game against Hawthorn should have taught old negative Rossy that when the players play some flamboyant football we can beat anyone.

Yet back we go again to a repeat of the Bulldogs game where we dominated the 1st quarter then were shite the last 3.

Do you ever learn Ross?

Is it gonna take another 37 and a half rounds before you realise we are best when we attack attack attack rather then defend slow the game down and chip around?

If you had put Roo at full forward he would have kicked 10 on their undermanned defense.

Next week how about you send Roo up the back and put Joey at full forward, you truly have no idea.

Sure it is the players faults also, from the looks of a few of them one might say that they were a bit cocky this week at training because they quite obviously did not practice their ball skills too much.

Then again the coach should stop arrogance before it gets out of hand.

You are never gonna be the future of this football club Lyon, at the moment Garry would probably do a better job than you.

We attack and we look good, we play this BS you instruct the players to play and Geelong might as well be the Sun and us Pluto for the distance we are from them.

If its ok for some to say they hate GT then its ok for me to say this

I hate you Ross Lyon, just like Mark Harvey you can look good behind a pro as an assistant but when it comes to the crunch you melt and are just an ass.

An absolute idiot like Grant Thomas got the very best out of our list, why can't you?
Rather than copying Richmond with your dropping of Dal Santo (ala Bowden) and moving Roo up the ground (ala Richo) try looking at a successful club if you have no ideas of your own.

As much as it pains me to say it study some tapes of Collingwood in 2002-03. Mick Malthouse took a bunch of fools to back to back grand finals, and we definitely have a better list then they did and do now.

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
realdeal
Club Player

SainterX wrote:No player in their right mind would play like they did today unless they were instructed to.

The game against Hawthorn should have taught old negative Rossy that when the players play some flamboyant football we can beat anyone.

Yet back we go again to a repeat of the Bulldogs game where we dominated the 1st quarter then were shite the last 3.

Do you ever learn Ross?

Is it gonna take another 37 and a half rounds before you realise we are best when we attack attack attack rather then defend slow the game down and chip around?

If you had put Roo at full forward he would have kicked 10 on their undermanned defense.

Next week how about you send Roo up the back and put Joey at full forward, you truly have no idea.

Sure it is the players faults also, from the looks of a few of them one might say that they were a bit cocky this week at training because they quite obviously did not practice their ball skills too much.

You are never gonna be the future of this football club Lyon, at the moment Garry would probably do a better job than you.

We attack and we look good, we play this BS you instruct the players to play and Geelong might as well be the Sun and us Pluto for the distance we are from them.

I hate you Ross Lyon, just like Mark Harvey you can look good behind a pro as an assistant but when it comes to the crunch you melt and are just an ass.

An absolute idiot like Grant Thomas got the very best out of our list, why can't you?
Rather than copying Richmond with your dropping of Dal Santo (ala Bowden) and moving Roo up the ground (ala Richo) try looking at a successful club if you have no ideas of your own.

As much as it pains me to say it study some tapes of Collingwood in 2002-03. Mick Malthouse took a bunch of fools to back to back grand finals, and we definitely have a better list then they did and do now.
Your an absolute lemon mate..
We lost because the players thought it was a formality.. did you see the missed set shots, the 20m kicks to opposition, the smashing we got from clearances?? As numerous other posters have pointed out, it was poor skills/decisions and lack of toughness. All are to blame.
playing allen, charlie, birss etc instead of MG would make no diff, our application across the ground cost us.

JeffDunne

St Fidelius wrote:So in your opinion "our effort " is different to our skill???

And in your opinion North are more skill than us???

I know our "effort" was p1ss poor against the eagles so are they more skilled than us...
WTF? In the context of a reply to my post those questions don't make any sense. Do you struggle with basic comprehension?

North lost pretty much for the same reasons we lost last night. Both them and the Eagles dominated us for periods of the game. So too Hawthorn. We won the games against North & Hawthorn because we lifted our effort. You're kidding yourself if you think we're more or less skilled than either.

You dont win games on effort without skill...
Bullsh**

If you're in league we're there's little difference in the overall strength of lists (as we saw yesterday) then effort is what makes a difference.
So in your opinion North, Freo Carlton and Hawthorn are clubs we beat on effort alone and THEY BLEW THEIR CHANCE????
WTF?

Blew their chance at what?
yeah righto I suppose Freo controlled the match...
As usual around here, if something's not white it must be black. Just because one extreme isn't true, it doesn't mean the opposite extreme must be true.

As for the game against Freo, ummm . . . we won by 8pts . . . despite Freo having more scoring shots. Neither team dictacted terms and in the end our effort late was better than Freo. That was the difference.

Freo are a team that have won 3 games for the year.
Just where are you coming from with that comment ???
I'd ask the same in response.

Face facts, we're an average football team with a lot of players that pick and choose when they'll turn up to play.

StSteven
Club Player

We have a list that USED TO BE good players........apologies Malcolm,

It IS TOO LATE! Look at the consistent effort of Cats, they blow away weaker sides, beat top sides when depleted, play consistent good football, hard at it and play unselfish football for their Club. That is the culture shift we need.

Gawd I am jealous.

older saint
SS Life Member

SainterX wrote:No player in their right mind would play like they did today unless they were instructed to.

Do you ever learn Ross?

Collingwood lost to Ess does that mean Malthouse cannot coach.
Lyon wasn't the one not chasing, not manning up Staker, Lynch, Not the one kicking 20 metres and missing targets by 2 metres, not the one kicking outo nt he full from 50 dead in front, not the one missing easy goals in the 1st quarter.
This is the problem with this club since 1966 sack the coach because the sun shines out of the palyers a**, excpet of course for the 3-4 payers each year that will take the heat from all for all.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

we didn't play to our best, but to consider guys like goddard, riewoldt, ball and lenny weren't give 100% is rubbish.

schnieder and gardiner looked very underdone, poor selection IMO, looked a couple of weeks away at least.

also when we did win the ball it was turned over by some ludicrous decisions.

Reiwoldt gets smashed in the back and non existant push in the backs were found for the eagles.

Ball and Goddard, two quality players for temperement were furious at the decisions against them.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

This is why we can't be complacent this year. 100% effort required this week Saints.

Geelong is now history - fantastic as it was - but we need to get our act together quickly and focus on the rest of the season, one week at a time.

Let's not get egg on our face again Sainters. Must win game this week.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:This is why we can't be complacent this year. 100% effort required this week Saints.

Geelong is now history - fantastic as it was - but we need to get our act together quickly and focus on the rest of the season, one week at a time.

Let's not get egg on our face again Sainters. Must win game this week.
I agree with your point, however watching the footage last night of the boys in the rooms and the song....they seem very level headed to me. No over the top celebrations, more like a quiet resolve around the place.