Where would you like a new 25,000 capacity AFl stadium built

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spyglass
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:I dont get why we need another stadium. Unless i am missing something the reason they are giving is because there will be extra games in melbourne because of the 2 new sides. Can someone explain to me how there will be extra games in Melbourne. There will be the same as there are now unless we increase the amount of rounds of footy otherwise it stays the same.
Yes, I think you will find that there will be extra rounds....Dimwit has mentioned possibly 24

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:
Otiman wrote: - Catering/Staff/Setup costs are reduced
You seem to of forgotten who you are talking about here :shock:
Of course not, the thing has to make sense from an AFL financial point of view. They're a business, not a charity.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

A boutique stadium for the Victorian teams to play in only when playing interstate sides? Awful idea.

While it may be an expensive exercise to play at the MCG, lets keep in mind that from a club perspective, the key asset is wins and points on the ladder. From a profit standpoint, getting enough of them translates into finals, big gates at higher price, and more profit. There is no substitute for winning.

A boutique venue may be cheaper to run, but it removes homefield advantage, which is less about crowds than it is about the differences in ovals that makes teams more familiar with one than another. Do we really want to be sacrificing our Telstra Dome advantage against the teams it's most prevalent against to play them at a ground they'll use more than we will?

I don't. If we can't afford to run our own stadium, kepp things as are.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
esaint66
SS Life Member

Another reason why we should have stayed at Waverley and/or Moorabbin.
Last edited by esaint66 on Sat 02 Aug 2008 5:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Have it in Ballarat :) With the saints relocating to Ballarat, 1hr from CBD via train.. People in Melbourne travel further to TD.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

If they build a "boutique stadium" which is another phrase built for pissy crowds but great for the supporters who are able to get in before the "sold out" sign goes up, it will be part of the big black hole that the AFL seems to be creating for themselves with the creation of teams 17 & 18 , especially in Western Sydney. It's not a rouse to take our eyes off the bigger picture and make it more acceptable in terms of two extra teams is it? Pardon my suspicion with anything that has the stamp of Demitriou the great dictator on it. The discussion on SEN said Telstra Dome cost $400 plus, so how much for a new one, and I am deeply suspicious that one of the reasons is that the AFL recognises some of the clubs (us) have been stitched with dodgy stadium deals- Now they recognize that? And who sanctioned the deals? The future owner of the Dome, that is the good ol' AFL.
However, could we not re-build at Moorabbin? Close to a railway line and public transport, bring us back home to our spiritual centre and the most gigantic way of saying to Kingston Council "We're baaaacccckkkk"

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Correction, I meant $400 million not $400, which is how much we pay for the right to sit at the Dome.

zebraman
Club Player

I've just home from the Sandy game at Optus Oval....why build a "boutique" stadium when you have one right on the city fring at Carlton...Optus Oval is ideal for the 30k crowd size...it needs a tidy up for sure but that would cost a hell of a lot less than building a new stadium from scratch....the surface is excellent...some of the crowd facilities need to be fixed up, I don't find parking that bad...trams go right past the ground....I loathe Carlton Football Club but this ground is an ideal solution...FFS it's sitting on our doorstep...USE IT...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

zebraman wrote:I've just home from the Sandy game at Optus Oval....why build a "boutique" stadium when you have one right on the city fring at Carlton...Optus Oval is ideal for the 30k crowd size...it needs a tidy up for sure but that would cost a hell of a lot less than building a new stadium from scratch....the surface is excellent...some of the crowd facilities need to be fixed up, I don't find parking that bad...trams go right past the ground....I loathe Carlton Football Club but this ground is an ideal solution...FFS it's sitting on our doorstep...USE IT...
Trains and parking?