We are 6 good players short

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We are 6 good players short

My theory is that you need to produce/find 2 new players per year.

The last 4 years (since BJ) we have only produced/found 2 good players. That leaves us 6 players short of the 8 we needed.

We need to somehow draft/recruit/beg/borrow/steal 8 good players to be any good next year - Given that finding 8 players in one year is missions impossible - Saints fans should start preparing for a long period of darkness.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Re: We are 6 good players short

Con Gorozidis wrote:Saints fans should start preparing for a long period of darkness.
It's something that we're used to.

Even though I don't agree with what you have said.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

if i was doing the recruiting ...we would have been playing selwood and riolli.....don't know if it would have made the difference......but we will never know....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

stinger wrote:if i was doing the recruiting ...we would have been playing selwood and riolli.....don't know if it would have made the difference......but we will never know....
sure would have.

I'd also be chasing the best AFL recruiter before I looked at the coach position.

You need the best players .. we still havent succeeded in getting midsized agile goalkickers to our club.

We need to kick goals in general play - we havent been able to do that.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:if i was doing the recruiting ...we would have been playing selwood and riolli.....don't know if it would have made the difference......but we will never know....
oh yeah. id love those guys in the team. would make a difference. good players are good players. and 2 more would be nice.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:if i was doing the recruiting ...we would have been playing selwood and riolli.....
How exactly would you have got Selwood?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

How would we have gotten Selwood?

Didn't he go before our pick came up?

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Yep.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

First he would have recruited Superman, then spun the world backwards until Selwood became our pick first!!!

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

degruch wrote:First he would have recruited Superman, then spun the world backwards until Selwood became our pick first!!!
:lol:

Nice one.

adobe
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:My theory is that you need to produce/find 2 new players per year.

The last 4 years (since BJ) we have only produced/found 2 good players. That leaves us 6 players short of the 8 we needed.

We need to somehow draft/recruit/beg/borrow/steal 8 good players to be any good next year - Given that finding 8 players in one year is missions impossible - Saints fans should start preparing for a long period of darkness.
Thats why recruiters should be looking at good younger proven VFL players who have played with or against AFL footballers than the schoolboy footballers who are hit or miss in TAC competition

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

First and foremost,...What we need to recruit is a good recruiter :wink:

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:My theory is that you need to produce/find 2 new players per year.

Out of the 22 players who took the field for us 10 of them were recruited since BJ was drafted. Geelong had 7 players recruited over the same time period. My theory is that, under scrutiny, your theory wouldn't hold up at all. I doubt there's a club in the comp that gets 2 good players every year.

BTW, those ten were:

Raph Clarke
Robert Eddy
Sam Fisher
Sam Gilbert
Jason Gram
James Gwilt
Clint Jones
Steven King
Andrew McQualter
Adam Schneider

If you ask me, the result on the weekend has a lot less to do with the post-BJ drafts and a lot more to do with Geelong's 99 draft (Chapman, Corey, Ling) and 01 draft (Ablett, Bartel, Steve Johnson) doing much better than our 99-01 drafts.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think the following players are good enough to be part of a premiership team

B: R.Clarke, Hudghton, Gilbert
HB: S.Fisher, ***, Gram
C: Dal Santo, Hayes, Montagna
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, ***
F: Milne, ***, ***

Foll: King, Ball, Goddard
Int: Harvey, Blake, Birss, Koschitzke

Gwilt and Xavier could make it with some improvement, while Armo, Geary, Eddy, Allen and McEvoy look like they could make it in the future.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:

Out of the 22 players who took the field for us 10 of them were recruited since BJ was drafted.
BTW, those ten were:

Raph Clarke
Robert Eddy
Sam Fisher
Sam Gilbert
Jason Gram
James Gwilt
Clint Jones
Steven King
Andrew McQualter
Adam Schneider
He did say good players, not just players. Gram and Fisher are the only above-average players in that list. Raph, Gilbert, Eddy and Gwilt are all still developing while Jones, King, McQualter and Schneider are no better than GOPs.

Gram and Chips are the only two who would have cracked a game for Geelong yesterday.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:I think the following players are good enough to be part of a premiership team

B: R.Clarke, Hudghton, Gilbert
HB: S.Fisher, ***, Gram
C: Dal Santo, Hayes, Montagna
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, ***
F: Milne, ***, ***

Foll: King, Ball, Goddard
Int: Harvey, Blake, Birss, Koschitzke

Gwilt and Xavier could make it with some improvement, while Armo, Geary, Eddy, Allen and McEvoy look like they could make it in the future.
In what year? Harvey's gawn, and Max should follow. Gilbert?? Mate he'd better improve next year.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:In what year? Harvey's gawn, and Max should follow. Gilbert?? Mate he'd better improve next year.
That team is for this year only. Obviously Harvs will be gone (hopefully replaced by Armitage) and Max could retire, in which case we are screwed for 2009.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:In what year? Harvey's gawn, and Max should follow. Gilbert?? Mate he'd better improve next year.
That team is for this year only. Obviously Harvs will be gone (hopefully replaced by Armitage) and Max could retire, in which case we are screwed for 2009.
Fair enough, but on present form... I'd exclude:

R Clarke
Dal
Kosi
Gilbert

So you can see why there was a 10 goal dofference yesterday.

Should be and would be 2 different issues.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

the difference was discipline and decision making.

we had plenty of hte ball, and the players have much better skills than we showed on Sunday.

we were undisciplined, rushed, even when we had time, and our decision making was rubbish, even some of our 'stars'

win lose or draw, we don't need a wholesale change, we need to drill, drill, drill, till we have decision making like the cats.

The reason why rubbish teams like North, get as far as they do on cruddy talent is discipline, same with Sydney, discipline, and drilled decision making.

Sydney and North have 1/2 the talent of the saints and yet are our peers on the ladder. why? they are drilled and disciplined.

be it the coaches, or the players or whatever, but thats it.

Brisbane Bears you could see the runners come out, and they switch to all out attack, runner comes out they switch to 100% defence, same with cats.

We are as fit as the cats and as talented but their discipline far out stretches ours.

whether its the game plan, whether its the players being mavericks, whether its confusion, but watching the game, the cats allways ran with purpose to a position inthe field or to pick up a saint or whatever, even our smarter players didn't sometimes know who was supposed to be in the middle, where the man they had to pick up was etc.

watch how the cats run to pick up their tag or mark, and watch the saints,

the cats were faster mentally.

the cats are pretty much the same core as 2005 and 2006, they are just playing with purpose.

4 years ago if someone told you cam mooney would be a gun CHF or steven Johnson would be a AA forward you'd be thinking they gun would be because mooney was an alco doing stick ups for his next booze fix and AA was alcoholics anonymous.

Same with a tonne of other players in their list. They are disciplined, and we aren't.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!