x re-signed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

x re-signed

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

ST KILDA yesterday ended speculation over Xavier Clarke's future when they signed the indigenous midfielder for another 12 months.

Clarke, 25, had another mixed year as he battled form and injury worries, as well as dealing with his father's health concerns.

There was speculation the No. 5 draft pick of 2001 might be traded, but the club will today announce the contract extension.

Emerging defender James Gwilt, 22, will also get a one-year contract after playing 13 games from Round 11 onwards this year.

Clarke played just eight games this year for 105 in total. After a poor qualifying final he was dropped for the rest of the finals series.

Beekay
SS Life Member

25 geeeeeeeezaz.

One could wonder if he'd still be on the list if he was selected in the 3rd round.

Fulham_Sainter
Club Player

Stating the obvious but last chance next year. Lets hope he puts it all together and has a great year, for any chance at the flag we need the whole team to shine and play to their best abilities.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

This guy injury free is in our top 5, all the talk of last chances/trading is just bollocks imo

Before Im 85
spiral2
Club Player

I really hope he puts it all together this year.
must be a real fright to be so close to going. one year contract sounds pretty do or die. must be concerns about his body.

go X!

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Only decent thing I've read on this site in the last 2 weeks

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

spiral2 wrote:I really hope he puts it all together this year.
must be a real fright to be so close to going. one year contract sounds pretty do or die. must be concerns about his body.

go X!
Actually he's in a similar position to the one he was in at this time last year, except for being a year older.

He signed a 12 month contract last year also.

The Club obviously feel he has something to contribute but are wary of his continued injury problems. Maybe they are giving Misson and the medical team 12 more months to get him right?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Glad to see Gwilt get another go. Still only 22, never had the grounding of the TAC cup and is only just starting to show a bit.

I reckon the guy could be a real honest contributer and in our top 22 in a year or two if he keeps developing.

Different type but remember Andrew Thomson only started to kick on at age 24, Sam Fisher was drafted at age 23 etc.

As for X. Well I hope that now his personal issues have subsided he can get fit and contribute. Might want to look at the kid brother and see that he has been overtaken. Might spur him on.

heres hoping.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
super dooper
Club Player

saintsrus wrote:This guy injury free is in our top 5, all the talk of last chances/trading is just bollocks imo
i know everyone is entitled to their opinion and all but, gees, are you serious?? TOP 5???

When has he been fully fit for a decent amount of time to justify that he belongs as part of our core group of players?

Round 1 of 2006 he was awsome, but thats about it. Just a bits and pieces player that has shown flashes.

Unfortunately "flashes" of brilliance does not equate to winning finals or crunch games. Which raises the question, when has he played well in a big game (if he wasnt injured that is)??

So is he ahead of??

Roo
Hayes
S.Fish
Max
Hayes
Goddard
Ball
Dal Santo
Joey
Kosi

i think not

I hope all comes good after being in the system since he debuted in 2002, you'd think he has had a long enough apprentiship.

In that time as supporters we have seen us get smashed, come within brent guerras right foot of a premiership and now on a slow decline. We need to be sure we are investing for our next premiership team, when ever that may be.

Obviously by keeping him on the list for another 12 months is not jepoardising the position of a young player that we can blood so the decision seems perfectly logical. Surely this will open his eyes a bit that his career and lifestyle are on the line here and he must deliver!

St Marcus
Club Player

saintsrus wrote:This guy injury free is in our top 5, all the talk of last chances/trading is just bollocks imo
Agree, hopefully he will show his full potential in 2009 and be injury free

GO X

stinger
Saintsational Legend

:wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saints Media
Club Player

[quote]Xavier Clarke and James Gwilt have signed new deals that will see them remain with the Saints for at least one more year. The 25-year old Clarke played eight games in an injury interrupted 2008 season while Gwilt played 13 including St Kilda’s three finals.

Matthew Drain, General Manager of Football & List Management said “We are delighted that Xavier and James have put pen to paper and committed to at least another year at the Saints. They are both young, valued members of the squad and we believe they have a lot to offer going forward.â€

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Good work guys- thanks James and Xavier

Bad luck Aaron.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Fiora i thought they might of given him 1 more year

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Saints Media wrote:
The Club also made the difficult decision to delist Aaron Fiora.

Aaron was drafted by Richmond with pick three in the 1999 AFL Draft and played 78 games before St Kilda acquired his services in a three-way trade in 2004. The midfielder went on to play 62 games with the Saints, kicking 32 goals to give him a career tally of 58.

The Club thanks Aaron for his contribution and wishes him all the best for the future.
Do we have to pay his salary next season?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
Saints Media wrote:

Aaron was drafted by Richmond with pick three in the 1999 AFL Draft and played 78 games before St Kilda acquired his services in a three-way trade in 2004. The midfielder went on to play 62 games with the Saints, kicking 32 goals to give him a career tally of 58.

The Club thanks Aaron for his contribution and wishes him all the best for the future.
yep. it would be in the salary cap for next year.

GrumpyOne

Sanity has prevailed.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintly wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
Saints Media wrote:

Is that 100%, or can the Saints pay it out and count it against this years number (assuming there's room)?

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough, wish him well for 2009.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
saintly wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
Saints Media wrote:

Is that 100%, or can the Saints pay it out and count it against this years number (assuming there's room)?
they can pay him out, but i think it will come out of 2009 salary cap payment.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Great news about X and Gwilt, very happy....2009 can only be better for X you'd hope!

Good luck

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ace
Saintsational Legend

I had Fiora down to come out of contract at the end of 2009.
Fiora's and his management would be foolish not to have the contract paid out.
If Fiora is picked up by another club, St Kida may only have to make up the difference.
That difference would count against the 2009 salary cap.

If St Kilda pay him out before they put in their final payments sheet for 2008 they could add the payout to the 2008 cap payments.
Then they only need to count any surplus against 2009.
That assumes they have any room left in the 2008 payments cap.

Either way it is a botch up to give a player a 2 year contract and dump him after 1.
But then there have been a lot of changes in off field personel and hence opinions within the club in the meantime.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

You can't cut a team to ribbons because people think a player is too old. X is nowhere near too old IMO! Not comparing him to Harvs but there is an oldie and a bloody goodie! Overcame a spate of hamstring injuries and worked his body OUT!

We would have lost Raph if it was up to half the whingers on here, and guess what, the kid shined last season! Never burn your bridges before you know where they lead! Get up em X! Glad to see you back on board next season you good thing!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
jays
Club Player

one day i hope x proves me wrong and becomes a star
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Saintschampions08
Club Player

St. Luke wrote:You can't cut a team to ribbons because people think a player is too old. X is nowhere near too old IMO! Not comparing him to Harvs but there is an oldie and a bloody goodie! Overcame a spate of hamstring injuries and worked his body OUT!

We would have lost Raph if it was up to half the whingers on here, and guess what, the kid shined last season! Never burn your bridges before you know where they lead! Get up em X! Glad to see you back on board next season you good thing!
He shined in the last 5 games of the year ...

He didn't shine last year, he's played a few good games...