Mature age recruit

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Mature age recruit

Will we take one???

with either a DP or RP

Not necessarily an AFL delist but a state league player, or someone who has been a rookie but missed out....

It has been a trend in recent years by our Recruiting staff...to find one..

2003 - Sam Fisher 21 from West Adelaide with pick #55
2006 - Clinton Jones 21 from Sth Fremantle with RP
2007 - Luke Miles 21 from Swan Districts with RP
2005 - Michael Rix 24 from Coburg with pick #49

Even these would be considered state league draftees
1996 - Max Hudghton 19 from QAFL with pick #16
2005 - Sam Gilbert 19 from QAFL with pick #33
2006 - Brad Howard 19 from QAFL with Pick #27

And some picked up from other clubs to the Rookie Draft
2003 - Alan Murray 22 Port (12 games)
2002 - Jordan Barham 19 Essendon Rookie (0 games)
2003 - Nick Stone 23 Hawthorn (a few games)
2006 - Jayden Attard 21 Brisbane (21 games)
2007 - Andrew McQualter 22 St.Kilda (9 games)

Would not surprise me if one DP and one RP were not and Under 18.....but under 23.

From the list of Delisted players I can see half a dozen possibilities to choose one, and another half a dozen from the statewide leagues to choose one.......

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Max's situation is quite unique. He was with Northern Knights as a 17 yo before moving to Qld with his family !!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Not saying we will not...

But I don't think that there is much use in looking for a trend over many years as:

* Bevo is no longer the head recruiting guy. Our new ex-Cats man is doing his second draft period for us.

* RL is into his third draft...though to be fair he came in late in his first one.

* Drain is into his second too.

But yes the Saints will look everywhere for players this year and indeed we already have another NSW Scholarship player in Blake as a rookie, looks like we are going to get an Irish International Rookie.......so another mature age rookie would not surprise.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 03 Nov 2008 9:55pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
vacuous space
SS Life Member

There's a very good chance we'll end up taking a mature pick with either an ND or rookie selection. Between the ND and PSD there should be about 80 guys taken, then another 80 or so in the rookie draft. We've got 11 spots to fill. Chances are, at some point, the prime junior talent will run out. I imagine there'll be quite a few players recycled and quite a few older players taken in combined drafts.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

There will end up being around 1,500 guys nominate for this years drafts. If you break it down:

There will be around 80 guys go in the ND

There will be around "bugger all" guys go in the PSD

There will be around 50 guys go in the rookie draft

That equates to less than 10% of those who nominate will get drafted in some way, shape or form.

I'm guessing that No 1,500 on the list would struggle to get a game for our forum team; especially ahead of yipper :roll: :lol: :wink: !!

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:There will be around 80 guys go in the ND

There's 82 senior spots open and 79 rookie spots. Out of the ~1500, there are relatively few with genuine draft prospects. I'm pretty sure Barry Brooks will have his name on that list when it comes out and I'm betting Barry isn't expecting anybody to give him a shot.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
goodie
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
Eastern wrote:There will be around 80 guys go in the ND

There's 82 senior spots open and 79 rookie spots. Out of the ~1500, there are relatively few with genuine draft prospects. I'm pretty sure Barry Brooks will have his name on that list when it comes out and I'm betting Barry isn't expecting anybody to give him a shot.
Well part of the reason is once you nominate for the draft, you remain in the pool for three years.

Matthew Wade, Victoria's part-time wicketkeeper, nominated a few years ago when he was still trying to get a game at Tassie, and was still listed after he made the move to Vic and started getting games

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mature age recruit

BigMart wrote:From the list of Delisted players I can see half a dozen possibilities to choose one, and another half a dozen from the statewide leagues to choose one.......
Who do you see as the possibilities?
I don't see any VFL football.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
battye
Saintsational Legend

Paul Mugambwa from South Fremantle.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I think it's going to be harder this year for the mature aged recruits, as apparently this draft goes much deeper than previously.

I would think St Kilda would be only interested in one 'cast off'....or at least should be, and that would be Zac Dawson as a back up backman.

But overall, I don't think that is the path we are going to take.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Did not say 'cast off'

a player who has not been tried, and given an opportunity ala Clinton Jones

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Yes I think we should seriously consider a mature age recruit. Who wasnt inspired by Stuart Dew's "fine" figure in the Grand Final - I think we share an equal number of rolls of fat - and the same love of pies.

I have lost a little bit of my pace in recent years, and having just turned 40 , many may say that my best years are behind me - but I'm expecting my secret training rituals (sprinting to the letter box at the end of the driveway to pick up the mail) will see me closing in on peak fitness by the time the PSD comes around.

I admit I'm a bit of a smoky - and I'm guessing there are others on this forum who are secretly competing with me for that last spot on the list - but as long as I restrain myself to only 2 serves of Christmas Pudding, and wash down the Friday night bevvies with steamed dim sims instead of the fried ones - I reckon I'm in with a shot :lol: :lol:

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Yes I think we should seriously consider a mature age recruit. Who wasnt inspired by Stuart Dew's "fine" figure in the Grand Final - I think we share an equal number of rolls of fat - and the same love of pies.

I have lost a little bit of my pace in recent years, and having just turned 40 , many may say that my best years are behind me - but I'm expecting my secret training rituals (sprinting to the letter box at the end of the driveway to pick up the mail) will see me closing in on peak fitness by the time the PSD comes around.

I admit I'm a bit of a smoky - and I'm guessing there are others on this forum who are secretly competing with me for that last spot on the list - but as long as I restrain myself to only 2 serves of Christmas Pudding, and wash down the Friday night bevvies with steamed dim sims instead of the fried ones - I reckon I'm in with a shot :lol: :lol:
It all comes down to your salary demands, and I'm guessing a person of your standing would command a fairly high wage :roll: :lol: :wink: !!

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:

It all comes down to your salary demands, and I'm guessing a person of your standing would command a fairly high wage :roll: :lol: :wink: !!
Yes you're right Eastern .. I've been checking the nomination form and I certainly want to put a price on my head when I nominate .. but there doesnt seem to be a space to write my salary demands of "1 pie and 6 pack of beer at the end of each game" :)

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
jays
Club Player

some players need time to settle in
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Aside from Cousins,if the Saints are going to draft a mature age recruit as back up for Max ,who is the better bet....Carroll or Dawson....

It's easy to see why the AFL careers of mature age players are over once they get delisted..you wouldn't expect too much from either Carroll or Dawson,might be better to draft a youngster and hope he adapts to AFL footy and becomes a capable player......

:?:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.