HOW COME ???? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

HOW COME ???? !!

We lasted a week longer than the filth this year. They are back training as of today, yet we are not due back for 2 weeks

I thought that the Collective Bargaining agreement meant that EVERY player in the AFL had to have at least 6 weeks off. My maths suggest that either the filth are back 1 week early or we will come back 1 week late. Which is it?

Can someone shed some light on this? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: !!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

they have to FLY out to the deep dark american desert
leaving their lovely high altitude room behind..........

maybe they need to check their asthma and blood bressure levels first?

will probably take a week off for going on safari in Sth africa.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:they have to FLY out to the deep dark american desert

Ummmmmmmmmmm

They could become LUNCH for some African game :?: :wink:

Do they still have canibals in Africa? If so, I'll send over the salt :lol: :lol: !!

saintm
Club Player

I think the clubs that come back earlier than the prescribed 6 weeks add the extra time to either the Christmas break or have the extra week off at some other time through the pre-season.

Seem to recall North Melbourne having a very short break a couple of years ago and from memory the additional leave was taken at Christmas.

Guess an early recall is one way of ensuring there are no Melbourne Cup induced incidents!! :)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintm wrote:I think the clubs that come back earlier than the prescribed 6 weeks add the extra time to either the Christmas break or have the extra week off at some other time through the pre-season.

Seem to recall North Melbourne having a very short break a couple of years ago and from memory the additional leave was taken at Christmas.

Guess an early recall is one way of ensuring there are no Melbourne Cup induced incidents!! :)
Yes I think you're right on that one.

IMO that is a better way to go.....get the base fitness in earlier and with an extra week off for Xmas perhaps means a more punishing pre-Xmas period could be on the menu.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member
Location: Watching our games on tele or listening to the radio :(

Eastern wrote:
saintbrat wrote:they have to FLY out to the deep dark american desert

Ummmmmmmmmmm

They could become LUNCH for some African game :?: :wink:

Do they still have canibals in Africa? If so, I'll send over the salt :lol: :lol: !!
You'd better send over a couple of beers too!! :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

St Kilda's 2 premiership captains are Tassie born. The Doc & Roo.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

All to do with Work Choices.

They have only just realised there has been a change of government and are awaiting the change of legislation.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Solar
Saintsational Legend

eastern they can come back sooner but the club must put it to a vote and 75% of the playing group must say yes. The players union want to crack down on this part of the EBA

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I watched the game Friday night (please don't be too judgemental) and when they interviewed Campbell Brown, he said something along the lines that he was stuffed because they had already begun pre-season...

S.A Saint
Club Player

the last two years if i can recall correctly we have started pre season training as one of the last teams...Now im not saying that this is the cause but both those years our first half season form has been terrible and our second one of the best....

could this be that our poor form in the first half is due to the fact that other teams have been training longer and have built up thier fitness more than us...or that after the half way point our players hit peak fitness conditions and are able to beat most teams...

marksnsparks
Club Player

S.A Saint wrote:the last two years if i can recall correctly we have started pre season training as one of the last teams...Now im not saying that this is the cause but both those years our first half season form has been terrible and our second one of the best....

could this be that our poor form in the first half is due to the fact that other teams have been training longer and have built up thier fitness more than us...or that after the half way point our players hit peak fitness conditions and are able to beat most teams...
Good points SAS, I've been concerned at our late return to training too. Are there any forumites with any knowledge in the fitness area to give to pros and cons of returning late or earlky to training?

Doesn't seem to hurt our NAB cup form though...not that that's worth much I know.....

ace
Saintsational Legend

6. Length of Break
6.1 Subject to paragraph 6.3, a Player shall be entitled to a minimum period of leave of absence, from all employment obligations with his AFL Club, of eight weeks (ie 56 days) commencing from the date of the last Match contested by his AFL Club or in the case where the last Match contested was held overseas, six weeks from the date of that Match (“the leave periodâ€
Last edited by ace on Mon 03 Nov 2008 11:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
S.A Saint
Club Player

marksnsparks wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:the last two years if i can recall correctly we have started pre season training as one of the last teams...Now im not saying that this is the cause but both those years our first half season form has been terrible and our second one of the best....

Good points SAS, I've been concerned at our late return to training too. Are there any forumites with any knowledge in the fitness area to give to pros and cons of returning late or earlky to training?

Doesn't seem to hurt our NAB cup form though...not that that's worth much I know.....
and another thing, i read an article somewhere the other day that freo are going to hit the ground running this pre season and bulk up their players.... i have always beleive that if your team is more bulked up and solid that you will go better...take for instance when swans won the flag, the lions won, west coast, geelong and now hawks....there mids are much more physically stronger than ours...

will see what affects it will have with freos season.... very interested to find out...

ace
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda should return to training 8 weeks after the preliminary final so that means 16 or 17 November

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:St Kilda should return to training 8 weeks after the preliminary final so that means 16 or 17 November
It has already been reported that our guys return on Mon 17 Nov !!

jays
Club Player

17 nov is fine need some time away from footy
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintm wrote:I think the clubs that come back earlier than the prescribed 6 weeks add the extra time to either the Christmas break or have the extra week off at some other time through the pre-season.

yeah i think they mix it up a bit more these days. they might start earlier but they throw in more breaks along the way. so they will get a week off here and there over summer.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Dean Bailey was explaining Melbourne's early return to training & mentioned that their fitness staff believe that 6 weeks is the optimal time to have off serious training. He said that they think the extra 2 weeks off is very detrimental & players really do it hard when they return as the fitness decline in those 2 weeks is dramatic.

They negotiated with their players to come back early but have less intense sessions initially as the players theoretically should be already in better shape.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Dean Bailey was explaining Melbourne's early return to training & mentioned that their fitness staff believe that 6 weeks is the optimal time to have off serious training. He said that they think the extra 2 weeks off is very detrimental & players really do it hard when they return as the fitness decline in those 2 weeks is dramatic.

They negotiated with their players to come back early but have less intense sessions initially as the players theoretically should be already in better shape.
I know this is like comparing apples and oranges but here is my story anyway.

I hadn't played sport in absolute years due to reoccuring knee, shoulder, ribs and elbow injuries. Well a few months ago I finally was given the all clear to play sport again and after 10 or so weeks I had really built up a good fitness base for myself again (obviously not AFL standard) but in my first actual match of competative sport I went and broke my ribs again and had to sit out for 4 weeks. I had my first match back last week and due to exams couldn't get a training session in before. Well all the work I did over those 10 weeks had been for nothing because I was just as unfit as I was to begin with. It is so much easier to lose fitness than gain it...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we should go back a week earlier and trade it for an extra day of leave per week as the rules state on a post above.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.