Who is jealous?????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

makaveli
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Kerr was going to cost us....Dal and Tom Lynch....there is the difference.....poor argument.

Judd was zero option for the same reason and the $800 000 per year price tag....
LOL.. Kerr is 4 times as good as NDS.

If for no other reason than he can dominate against clubs other than Melbourne... and he can dominate while getting a hard tag.

Hate to break it to you but Kerr for Dal and pick 13 would have been a great deal for us... and I doubt WCE would have come anywhere near that deal. Dal is at best worth pick 15-25 and Kerr is worth a top 5 pick.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

incorrect

makaveli
Club Player

Moccha wrote:
makaveli wrote:
Moccha wrote:
makaveli wrote:
Teflon wrote:Big yes.

Im envious because I still believed from all clubs who looked at Cousins and where each of them sits on Premiership clock...we needed him most and he could have delivered us greatest benefit. Now we pray Armo/Mqualters/Jones pull a miracle as second string mids so we can compete with Cats/Hawks...

People would NOT have stopped buying Jeld Wen doors had we taken Cousins.

Well done Tigers. We struggled to beat you in 08 and I for one am a little nervous about your midfield in 09....
Spot on here. Missed opportunity and the 'Footy First' board has a lot to answer for. Richmond's football department made the call. Not their board.

I will be envious if he plays well and contributes to improving the RFC... especially if we sit outside the 8 with 2 rounds to go and face another rollercoaster ride of making the finals and then getting smacked by better, bigger, faster and hungrier midfields.

Worst case scenario he gets caught on the gear (clearly hes still on it)... Who gives a toss? He gets dumped, Richmond gets admired for giving him a chance and doing what nobody else will do... And before the standard rebuttle of "it could derail our season" comes out, with our team we will challenge for the top 8... but we will not challenge the Hawks, Cats, or perhaps even Carlton in September.... And... for all we know there are already Saints players on their second strike.... who have actually been caught!
So if he gets caught what effect will that have on his team mates?
If you don't think it will affect the team morale then you're dreaming. The club will self destruct and the administration will be knifing each other, blaming each other. Do you think any sponsor will want to have any bar of that?
So worst case scenario it does have an effect on his teammates. What difference will it make - We cannot win a flag with this list. We are now REBUILDING with this YOUTH POLICY. I dont see the risk of player moral as a worthwhile tradeoff against the potential improvements this team could make with a top midfielder in the team.

The only forseeable downside to getting this bloke was that his hammys are shot and hell never get anywhere near his best - reasonably risk to take given he wasnt going to cost us much.
Then there's no upside is there, more to the point there's more to lose so pick someone young that can be developed
look mate dont get me wrong... ill be there cheering with you in 2010 when these young guys are in their prime... but its been 40+ years between flags here. This was the opportunity to take a risk... that didnt really matter if it payed off or not. The payoffs could have been huge for the club, the flipside was that we were missing a senior listed player for the majority of a year (which a draft kid wouldnt have filled anyway) The chances any kid picked in the draft playing 100+games for the club are small. BC could have made a huge difference to this club.

Well done Richmond. I am jealous they got him and I hope he doesnt shown NDS, Joey and the rest of our soft onball brigade how to play the game in 2009.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:Big yes.

Im envious because I still believed from all clubs who looked at Cousins and where each of them sits on Premiership clock...we needed him most and he could have delivered us greatest benefit. Now we pray Armo/Mqualters/Jones pull a miracle as second string mids so we can compete with Cats/Hawks...

Im also envious Richmond had BALLS and took the punt. St Kilda took a line that was "AFL friendly" and the path of least resistance.

Im at a loss of the so called risk of taking Cousins and Im not sure, if it was true, if Im all that comfortable with sponsors having such a say in the football operations of our club. What is next - Jeld Wen match committee meetings?

As for risk - yep Bens a druggie, so lets say he relapses after WE had given him another chance.....hes immediately finished, kaput gawn. St Kilda goes on.....so what? - the way many carried on it was as if Ben was gonna start rave parties down Linton street FFS......

What about the upside? - we are a club who got shafted commercially, draw-wise, we play Sunday's galore next year and have very little Friday night exposure. In short WE NEED members/bums on seats...Ben Cousins wouldve ENORMOUSLY helped with that and we can already see the excitement generated for the Tigers. And good luck to them. Pickering on SEN reckons Cousins could be good for an additional 5K in members....thats a lotta moula in tought times for giving a down and out a second chance......(and theres GOOD PR in that...).

Not to mention TV/Radio/Newspaper exposure guranteed for Richmond sponsors....and as the Vic Commercial Manager of UD Trucks said when he was asked about us drafting Cousins........."all publicity is good publicity"

People would NOT have stopped buying Jeld Wen doors had we taken Cousins.

Well done Tigers. We struggled to beat you in 08 and I for one am a little nervous about your midfield in 09....

YES im jealous!! I also concur with all of the above!!

I also wish him well and hope is right to go.

makaveli
Club Player

BigMart wrote:incorrect
LOL - you would want Dal Santo and Lynch over Kerr..

Dreaming mate... absolutely dreaming...

Kerr is a top class mid... Dal is when he doesnt have anyone playing on him. Huge difference between the two... Kerr is elite... NDS is a B grade mid. Dont let the RW&B goggles distort your vision too much...Lynch may be great... but in the immediate challenge to a flag... will make no difference.

makaveli
Club Player

While your at it... name one side apart from Melbourne who would head into a game with us and think... "s***... we gotta contain NDS today"...

Every club in the AFL would think this about Kerr before going up against the WCE (Bar maybe Hawks and Cats)

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Jealous? No

I don't know how anyone can describe it as a coup when he was passed up about 85 times before Richmond took him.

PJ
SS Life Member

Dear Maka loved your reply, filled with passion and all that sh*t.

Check out what i actually wrote -

I made no reference to drugs and cuz (read redneck read) only that I felt St.Kilda don't need a media circus. Why .....because of the last 10 years of over rating by every media resource in the country.

"Youth policy" - I was referring to Richmond's statement before they went ahead and recruited cuz.

Apart from that a good read, plenty of colour and action. Keep it up.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Who seriously gives a friggin rats fat clacker about Bitchmond

I don't follow them and couldn't give a toss about them

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
PJ
SS Life Member

a friggin rats fat clacker
Nice one DH kinda just rolls off the tongue.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

In a word NO

In 2 words HELL NO.

Richmond now have to deal with massive expectation from everybody most of all from tehir own rabid and success starved fans who must be thinking they will win teh flag at a trott next year. I dont envy them at all.

Oh and I love Ricky Nixon's quote "Richmond is one of the best clubs in the league obviously" Could have fooled me Ricky, I spose I missed the memo

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
saintfreddy
Club Player

I have to be somewhat divided here. My son was :x because we didn't pic him up, but I am happy with the board's decision.

It is interesting in the Sun Herald today there is a story about Ben's connections with a underworld drug figure. Immediately the problems have started for Richmond.

When a player has that sort of reputation like Ben, it's bound to rub off on the club somewhat.

I'll be very surprised if Ben is a superstar at Richmond. I suspect if he plays, his influence will be a "good" player at best.

My gut feel is that overall he will have little impact and will bring far more excitement off the field than on the field

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

If Ben blitzes then we will , or at least I will be dirty on our club.
This will be in hindsight of course but at least we could have taken the punt.
We are a club poised on the brink, Ben could have made a difference.

Footnote, I have noticed that Ben is causing a bit of a membership surge at Tigerland, another plus.

Not jealous, just dissapointed.

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

The cracks may start appearing over the current months. Will Cousins be forced to come clean on his connections with underworld figures, referred to in the press as "associates".

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
makaveli
Club Player

PJ wrote:Dear Maka loved your reply, filled with passion and all that sh*t.

Check out what i actually wrote -

I made no reference to drugs and cuz (read redneck read) only that I felt St.Kilda don't need a media circus. Why .....because of the last 10 years of over rating by every media resource in the country.

"Youth policy" - I was referring to Richmond's statement before they went ahead and recruited cuz.

Apart from that a good read, plenty of colour and action. Keep it up.
Your right, you made no reference to our youth policy or drugs.

What you did say was "This is not what St.Kilda needs".

I asked you why... stating a few reasons you might come up with. Ie: youth policy, drug problem etc.

The media circus surrounding it IMO is not a good enough reason.

Eitherway, would have preferred Kerr for NDS and pick13... Or ROK but that was far less likely. We needed an extra gun.

Ill see you walking out of the 2009 prelim gutted again after being smacked by the eventual premiers.
Last edited by makaveli on Wed 17 Dec 2008 8:28am, edited 2 times in total.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

It would be very interesting to go back over the numerous Cousins' threads & see how many of you who are now happy he's a tiger that were also very disappointed with our boards decision.

Personally I am envious of Richmond for taking the chance & getting an outstanding player for nothing.

I hope he has a fantastic year & re-establishes himself as a superstar.

BTW the HS article this morning links him to the 'colourful identity' is referring to 2002. Pathetic. But some lemmings will immediately think that he's got off the plane & headed straight to Barwon to visit Carl Williams.

Congrats for having some balls Tigers. It may just be the making of Richmond.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote: Footnote, I have noticed that Ben is causing a bit of a membership surge at Tigerland, another plus.
People are buying Richmond memberships just so they can tear them up in disgust.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

And how good will it be to see Cuz streaming through the middle and 'spotting up' Buddy, Pavlova and Ottens?

Oh that's right, these same 'big balled Tiggers' didn't have big enough balls to pick Pavlova or a 'troubled' Franklin did they?
They didn't have big enough 'balls' to 'stick fat' with Ottens did they?

Every Club makes recruiting/list decisions based on the information they have at the time.
Some decisions, in hindsight, come back to bite them.

I cannot remember when a decision has caused so much 'gnashing of teeth' even before hindsight has occured?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

And so it begins...................

http://www.theage.com.au/national/cousi ... -6zu7.html

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

And the side show has already started down at Punt road. Don't some of you lot get yet,it's all about Ben,and everybody else is second!!

What an arrogant little pig to rock up to training this morning with his documentary crew in tow. What a distraction this must be to the young guys. Surely on his first morning he'd be trying to knuckle down and trying to earn some respect,seem Richmond threw him a lifeline he probably hasn't deserved.

Watch it all unravel,as sure as the sun comes up each day,he'll be in trouble again in no time. Bookmark it

Bring back the Lockett era
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:And the side show has already started down at Punt road. Don't some of you lot get yet,it's all about Ben,and everybody else is second!!

What an arrogant little pig to rock up to training this morning with his documentary crew in tow. What a distraction this must be to the young guys. Surely on his first morning he'd be trying to knuckle down and trying to earn some respect,seem Richmond threw him a lifeline he probably hasn't deserved.

Watch it all unravel,as sure as the sun comes up each day,he'll be in trouble again in no time. Bookmark it
Yup - it will be a sideshow and we all know how stable and well Richmond handles a crisis and how unified and how they are all pulling in the one direction.

Wonder how Judas Brown feels right now. Stated on The Footy Show this year that he wouldn't want a disruptive influence like Cousins playing at the club :oops: :oops:

Wallace is a lame duck with Sheedy's hand up his back, just waiting to knife him and take over.

We have the feral fans running the show and dictating to the board who they will and wont draft.

And now we have the story about Cousins STILL consorting with criminals.

Yeah I am real jealous of Richmond :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saints94
SS Life Member

I don't really care as long as they play shyte against us :D

kaos theory
Club Player

I would have liked to have him...but if the board and management, for the betterment of the club, thought its was best to not take him, then I can live with that.

Also you say:
Of the tigers - who have come out of this smelling like roses

whilst perhaps stealing perhaps the biggest coup in recent draft history....

They have been lauded by;
The AFL
The members
their players
The general footy community
Drug rehab experts
The premier
This is wrong...They have been canned for the complete lack of professionalism:

-------
bizarre way to run your club
| December 17, 2008 12:00am

NO. Yes. Highly unlikely. Not absolutely impossible. Yes.

It could have been the voice of 1980s Australian cricketer Graeme Wood, an opening batsman who regularly ran out teammates because of mid-pitch indecision.

But, no, it was a bizarre sequence of messages sent by Richmond Football Club between November 27 and yesterday, as it tormented itself to the point of turmoil over Ben Cousins.

The behind-scenes play that yesterday resulted in Cousins becoming a Tiger was dysfunctional, amateurish even.

It saw a long held and previously hard fought for edict of drafting youth to the club turfed at the death when the pressure of media and fans turned some individuals into nervous wrecks.

The head of the Tigers' football department Craig Cameron may have become the public face of much of the embarrassment but, to his credit, he had the courage to stand firm with his original outlook on Cousins when others buckled.

Cameron maintained throughout the messy saga that the Tigers should not use any of their available draft selections on older players.

It was a strategy taken to, and accepted by, the Richmond board in September.

Terry Wallace, as part of that football department, would therefore have signed off on it.

Gary March, as president of the board, liked it.

But it was Wallace and March who ultimately drove hard the late-night decision on Monday to backflip and opt to take Cousins in yesterday's pre-season draft.

That afternoon, the AFL Commission did as it was always going to do, and rejected Richmond's near-ridiculous proposal to have Graham Polak shifted on to the rookie list.

It was a two-faced attempt at creating an extra pick in the pre-season draft, which it wanted to use on Cousins, as well as providing extra room in the salary cap, and the commission seemingly saw it that way too.

Incredibly, Richmond was not prepared for this outcome. Surely a club asking the commission to change a rule would have at least factored in all possibilities.

Not Richmond. For it, no Plan B. Which then prompted the total about-face to use pick six in yesterday's draft, a decision that was reached about 10pm after a series of meetings and phone conversations.

Cameron, a highly regarded football official, was effectively rolled by men who only hours earlier shared his view on the list management of the club.

The strong football clubs contain people who never deviate on football ideology.

It is believed chief executive Steven Wright also was outvoted. Wright is one of football's mystery men. He gets others to return his messages, and is very rarely seen in front of cameras.

He has, to his credit, helped turn around the Tigers' books, particularly through good relations with governments.

But he was missing in public action this week, with Cameron left to front a couple of conferences in which he could not possibly emerge as a winner.

Wallace yesterday denied his hopes of a contract extension were behind the club's recruitment of Cousins.

"If you have a look at it, it is fair and reasonable to say we will have exactly the same amount of youth players coming into our club as what we would have had if Graham Polak went off the list, or not off the list," Wallace said.

"We have used picks in the past. We picked up Trent Knobel in similar circumstances, we picked up Kent Kingsley, which didn't work so well for the club.

"But, we said the whole way along, and our list management was that we wouldn't use early selections on senior players, so we wouldn't trade out our young stars.

"I think most Richmond people would say the group of young blokes coming through are the equivalent of nearly any coming on in the competition, so to add to that, late, which (effectively) is a last-round pick, we have never ever calculated that out of proceedings."

As always, nice words from Wallace.

The origins of Richmond's interest in Cousins are debated, but one version has it that Kevin Sheedy, a Tigers legend now a paid ambassador, got talking with Ricky Nixon, Cousins' manager, in a marquee at the Australian Masters golf at Huntingdale three weeks ago.

Sheedy already had plans to fly to Perth, and it was decided he would speak with Cousins.

It is said Sheedy was forceful in that conversation, challenging him to take up what would be his last hope to play top-level football in 2009.

The belated decision to add Cousins may, of course, prove a masterstroke.

But, you have to wonder just how much the Tigers found out about Cousins in their -- wait for it -- five-day investigation.

And you have to wonder if the issue highlighted in the article on the front of this newspaper was discovered in that investigation.

Collingwood spent six months looking into Cousins, even hired a private investigator and had dialogue with Victoria Police chief Christine Nixon. St Kilda took five months, Brisbane at least three months, probably more.

They all arrived at a resounding, "No". Other clubs didn't even bother.

The Cousins selection may prove a masterstroke, but even if so, few at the club will be able to look back on the past week with any professional satisfaction.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I don't usually like answering questions with a question, but on this occasion I will...

What if Cousins does his hammy?
What if it turns out he can't play any good anymore?
What if he falls off the wagon?

What have Richmond lost? And what do they stand to lose?

People are talking about Richmond having 'balls' but to be honest, I can't see a single risk that they've taken by picking him up.

It cost them a measly Draft pick, and 1 spot on their list.

What do they possibly have to lose?

Even if he doesn't play for whatever reason, they'll still have the 'Oh well, we did the right thing by giving a bloke a chance' line to use.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Exactly Rodgerfox, Richmond are talking them selves up like his going

to repeat his 2005 form it might happen..... but it won't he won't be a 30

year old Harvey.... to me he will be just an avarage 30 year old midfielder

who will most likely 8 times out of 10 pull his hammy again or even of the

bone....... I just sense it coming...... then who will be the last ones

laughing :twisted: