Teams STK vs SYD

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

yipper
SS Life Member

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:So Mini's the new forum whipping boy is he? at 22 or so years old, he sure is past it...

Since his delisting at the end of '07, he's earned a place. Especially against Sydney, there's worse things that having defensively sound hard nut mids. He's hardly an old guy too, with plenty of scope for improvement. The trouble for him is if he doesn't show it, there's plenty of hungry kids that will be looking to take his spot.

By the same token, the Steven's and Heyne's of the world need to earn that chance - the same way Geary has, and Sydney rd 1 is probably not the time for it. This thread ought to be on bigfooty, where if you can't have your best 22, they just want the youngest player possible.
Good post. Mini is probably, if not the best, he is one of the best tacklers in our team. Is a tough little mother, like Bakes - so the swines are going to have a couple of their playmakers shadowed by 2 staffy bull terrier like players, better them than us!! Also both players can kick straight and love kicking goals!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Teams STK vs SYD

I wish people would get off Gwilt as well, he is a pinch hitter thrown in when no one else is available. I would be surprised if he has played 40 games and not too many in a row and not in the one position. He could be anything but he has never had a spot given to him to make his own week in week out. Some players play well under the pressure of holding their spot others don't. Mc qualter has obviously done everything required because RL keeps him on the opposition quality mids and he can kick the odd goal and get around 15 hard fought possessions every time he plays he's not Kirk or Ling but IMO Luke Ball is not Gary Ablett either.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

have a theory that king may infact be injured, hence why he is on the bench not a starter on the ground,
mcevoy may be a late inclusion not a rumour just what ive thought up

lefty
Club Player

The side is ok...

Missing Lenny, Armo, Meguire,

I would of thought L.Fisher would be playing ahead of some selected, and defentively before any of those emergencies... killed goodes last time, is the fittest bloke in the club, and is very big/solid so he can tag or be a key position player...

chook23
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:The side is ok...

I would of thought L.Fisher would be playing ahead of some selected, and defentively before any of those emergencies... killed goodes last time, is the fittest bloke in the club, and is very big/solid so he can tag or be a key position player...
Max!!

Side looks ordinary.

saint4life
Mr X from the West
Club Player

Joey wrote:SYDNEY
B: Craig Bolton, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Martin Mattner
HB: Rhyce Shaw, Heath Grundy, Kieren Jack
C: Jarrad McVeigh, Brett Kirk, Jared Crouch
HF: Ryan O’Keefe, Ted Richards, Luke Ablett
F: Paul Bevan, Barry Hall, Jarred Moore
Foll: Darren Jolly, Adam Goodes, Craig Bolton
Int: Craig Bird, Amon Buchanan, Nick Malceski, Jesse White
Emg: Ed Barlow, Matt O’Dwyer, Mike Pyke
That back line looks crap. Roberts-Thompson on Kosi? Grundy on Reiwoldt? Surely we can exploit those match-ups?

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
lefty
Club Player

chook23 wrote:
lefty wrote:The side is ok...

Max!!

Side looks ordinary.
Oh yea, forgot woops :S

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Mr X from the West wrote:
Joey wrote:SYDNEY
B: Craig Bolton, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Martin Mattner
HB: Rhyce Shaw, Heath Grundy, Kieren Jack
C: Jarrad McVeigh, Brett Kirk, Jared Crouch
HF: Ryan O’Keefe, Ted Richards, Luke Ablett
F: Paul Bevan, Barry Hall, Jarred Moore
Foll: Darren Jolly, Adam Goodes, Craig Bolton
Int: Craig Bird, Amon Buchanan, Nick Malceski, Jesse White
Emg: Ed Barlow, Matt O’Dwyer, Mike Pyke
That back line looks crap. Roberts-Thompson on Kosi? Grundy on Reiwoldt? Surely we can exploit those match-ups?
Craig Bolton is one of the best defenders in the game - he'll take Riewoldt. Mattner is OK, and a good rebounder, he'll take Milney i bet. The rest are pretty crap though.

The Saints are coming!
JABBER
Club Player

Teams Stk vrs Syd

the side has good balance to it True we will miss Lenny and a couple of others now it time for people to make claim to there spots Gwilt has a raking left foot on him and could be used as pinch hitter in the forward line.I just hope we play good attacking football

trevor barker
Solar
Saintsational Legend

steady is what I call that team

missing some class but I'm glad we went with two rucks to put pressure on the stoppages. We all knew round 1 would be a grind! I would like to see us grind out some results early then work people into it

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Lenny, X, Armo

ARE THEY on holidays

still not on injured list????

saint4life
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

All things being equal, Gwilt can come in and play down back, which gives us an extra in Ray or Geary to run thru the middle.

Apart from obvious ommissions in Max and Lenny, I reckon it's an ok team.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Judging on what I saw last season and in the one NAB cup game, this line-up seems to me to be almost the best 22 we have available. My only quibbles are that I simply don't get RL's excitement about Dawson, and I am not in favour of having 2 out of the 22 spots taken by ruckmen who move at glacial speed. Otherwise, I'm cool with it.

I can only assume that the general lack of enthusiasm for the lineup comes either from posters having seen something in the other 3 trial games that I missed, or else just some sort of mass delusion.

In the NAB cup game against the Lions, Jones, McQualter and Geary all had good games IMO. So I'm not surprised to see them playing. Leigh Fisher had a dreadful game, so I'm not at all surprised to see him omitted.

Gwilt was a bit ordinary against the Lions, but he finished the 2008 season well. I don't get why some posters don't want Baker there: he is one of our top players when not injured.

Unlike posters on here, Lyon depends on winning games to ensure that he and his family have a house to live in, food to eat and clothes to wear. That's why - if he has proven big match performers like Baker and Gwilt available - he chooses them rather than risk debuting a Lynch or Heyne or Steven against a team like the Swans who give you nothing and kill you on the rebound when you make a mistake under pressure.

Having said all that, there is one really noteworthy thing about this lineup. We have drafted 14 players in the past three drafts (or 12, if you want to discount Ferguson and Gehrig), and not a single one of them is playing for us tomorrow night.

Indeed, if you go back 5 seasons, we have got a grand total of 3 players in the team from our past 21 draft picks.

It's not a very good record, and it only seems to be getting worse since GT and Bevo moved on.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Saints94
SS Life Member

Very dissapointed that Steven or Heyne were NOT given a go in the seniors.................... the line-up doesn't look that great on paper :roll:

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

Pretty keen to see how Schneider goes ,, I reckon he him and Milney crumbin around will be great.

all the games i have seen CJ in I reckon his pressuring alone is good ,, although i would like to see him step up a bit, hurt a few more opponents ,, he should have a chat with Bakes i reckon.

Gwilt , i hope he shows me why i think he doesn't deserve a place.

What will be next from this club ?
Saints94
SS Life Member

VietNam_Saint wrote:Pretty keen to see how Schneider goes ,, I reckon he him and Milney crumbin around will be great.

all the games i have seen CJ in I reckon his pressuring alone is good ,, although i would like to see him step up a bit, hurt a few more opponents ,, he should have a chat with Bakes i reckon.

Gwilt , i hope he shows me why i think he doesn't deserve a place.
Hope he uses his lovely left foot kick at goal.............. hoping that he plays half-forward :roll: :)

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:So Mini's the new forum whipping boy is he? at 22 or so years old, he sure is past it..........

..........This thread ought to be on bigfooty, where if you can't have your best 22, they just want the youngest player possible.

No argument from me there - read my sig :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Batnoe

what is everyones fuss?

this is our team!!

we are missing Hayes, Maguire, Max and X from people that have shown they are in our 22. Plus we have 2 or 3 young guys that people think should get a run

That still means we have 15-18 of our best players on the park

I hate to say it, but that is the best line up we can have at this point we havent got those other 4 players available

What is Steven and Heyne going to do that Jones, Gwilt or MCQ wont do?

just wait until the game is played

Ross knows Sydney better than anyone else and these selections were made to play Sydney, not Geelong or Hawthorn

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:
bigcarl wrote:a little surprised to see that both king and gardiner are in. is it going to leave us light on for run?
You've got to be kidding, its what we missed all last year.
you think so? i thought we looked a bit slow and lumbering when both played together and we didn't start stringing a few wins together until one was out of the team.

however i take the point that we'll need two against the number one stoppage team in sydney.

one possible positive of it is it will alllow kosi a whole match to show his worth as a forward. i hope he makes the most of the opportunity.
Last edited by bigcarl on Fri 27 Mar 2009 3:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't worry too much about Lenny being out as Sydney has shut him down in most recent encounters, so hopefully someone like Ball might do better in the middle for us.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Sorry if this has been mentioned already but what is the go with Robert Eddy. He has been named as an emergency so obviously he is over his knee, however my next question then is why isn't he in the starting line up?

Surely he must be considered in our best 22 considering he played the last 13 games last year.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Sorry if this has been mentioned already but what is the go with Robert Eddy. He has been named as an emergency so obviously he is over his knee, however my next question then is why isn't he in the starting line up?

Surely he must be considered in our best 22 considering he played the last 13 games last year.
Considered by whom? I don't think he's in our best 22. It seems that Lyon doesn't think so either.

Are you saying that you believe that he is one of our best? Don't hide behind third person statements in the passive voice!!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Sorry if this has been mentioned already but what is the go with Robert Eddy. He has been named as an emergency so obviously he is over his knee, however my next question then is why isn't he in the starting line up?

Considered by whom? I don't think he's in our best 22. It seems that Lyon doesn't think so either.

Are you saying that you believe that he is one of our best? Don't hide behind third person statements in the passive voice!!
Sorry MB, I will try harder from now on wif me speling and grama or watever ya call it or is gettin at.

But seriously and back on footy, when I say surely I mean the guy played the last 13 games of last year. I have also read that the coaching staff hold him high regard so based on that SURELY he must be considered in our best 22. Or was he just a passenger in the last half our 2008 season. I mean we did peform very well in the secon half of last year and that just happened to coincide with his inclussion.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Eddy is just underdone, he could play round one but they are just being cautious?

I certainly hope we are not playing anyone tonight that could potentially risk aggravating a recently recovered injury.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Dawson, Ray, McQualter, Gardiner, King, Baker, Gwilt, Clint Jones and Baker

Nine players who wouldn't get a game for Geelong, Hawthorn, Bulldogs, Collingwood, Carlton, Port Adelaide and probably one or two other side...

This is the most workman like team I've seen St Kilda put out there in a VERY long time... I'm not confident at all...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!