The miserable 'supporter'

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

St Marcus wrote:I also support loudly when we play with endeavour, regardless of if we win or lose. But I cannot accept a lack of effort or courage, I also never boo or use bad language but I do vocalise my disapproval

I think the problem with Saints supporters is a lot seem to accept mediocracy, I don't in life or with my football team.
Great post. My thoughts 100 per cent.

Praise when praise is required, but wearing our guernsey is an honour and if you're not giving it your all, you should be told about it.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

markp
Saintsational Legend

St Marcus wrote: I think the problem with Saints supporters is a lot seem to accept mediocracy, I don't in life or with my football team.
I dont see how constantly bagging developing and second string players, or your team is the road to victory.... and I think those who do are not only accepting mediocrity, but they are perpetuating it.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

steph wrote:i disagree with 90% of whats been said.

I am a culprit of this negativity, and its got nothing to do with my life outside footy, my job, or my self esteem. What a joke

I love the saints as much as anyone, but i hate losing, and even more than that, i hate mediocre performances. I understand the need to remain positive when competing, but if we are satisfied with always 'doing well' that's not enough for me. Fact is, we SHOULD have won a flag by now. We haven't and its clear that this complacent attitude is why.

We have missed opportunities in the past, and when we let ourselves down, i see it all happening over and over again. When we are playing well, i cheer more than anyone. When someone puts their head over the ball under a pack, i'm the first to commend the effort. But when someone continues to make the same mistake or just demonstrates a complete lack of effort, then i'm not going to sit back and remain positive about it.

There's no bad language, or anything offensive to others around me. And i never ever boo my own team. I purely call it how it is. If you aren't willing to listen to the reality of a situation, then watch the game at home and congratulate anyone in a saints jumper, even if their effort doesn't deserve it.
What exactly does complacency have to do with booing your own team?

Which is what htis thread is about...

We all pretty much go "off" at some point when a mistake is made. But where's the link between not booing your players' mistakes and complacency?

Sounds like you're confusing "frustration" with people who are natural grumps, and have a shytti attitude towards life.

I'd bet my left one that if u were to hang around with these supporters outside of footy, you'd see exactly the same attitude.

Being "heard" at the footy is an outlet for many people... just like being a hero on a forum, or setting fire to houses. It's all about attention seeking. And whilst you may not be that type of person... they do exist.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

markp wrote:
St Marcus wrote: I think the problem with Saints supporters is a lot seem to accept mediocracy, I don't in life or with my football team.
I dont see how constantly bagging developing and second string players, or your team is the road to victory.... and I think those who do are not only accepting mediocrity, but they are perpetuating it.
In a word...

BINGO!

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
markp
Saintsational Legend

I'd also add that I don't approve of us ever clapping the team off after a loss, but look at where Geelong are compared to the Tigers.....

SaintHomer
Club Player

i had a whole row of "miserable" supporters behind me in my reserved seat. they would literally start whinging before 60 seconds had elapsed in the game, to the point that it was a joke.

i don't mind criticism of the team, but only by those who can understand the game. SO many times the whinges and whines are ridiculous, but those who either don't know the rules of the game, or more importantly, don't understand the game.

there are the easy targets like milne. yes, he is flashy and does the unpredictable which can make him look stupid, but he is also a match winner and has been for us. you need these types in your team and they are going to have bad days.

another easy target was gehrig, who was a mature and very smart footballer. many times, he would deliberately lead the key defender like a scarlett or that type away from the contest. sacrifice his own game for the good of the team.

these supporters love when we have the ball and are streaming down the field in numbers, but if the ball is turned over, scream blue murder that we aren't manning up!!!

don't get me wrong, i love the excitement of yelling "ball" when an opponent is caught even when he hasn't had time to dispose of it, but i don't go off half cocked when the decision doesn't go our way.

by all means, don't conform, have your own opinion. shout out your message, but all i ask is to know what you are talking about before you whinge. it's disrespectful of the greatest game on earth.

steph
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:
steph wrote:i disagree with 90% of whats been said.

I am a culprit of this negativity, and its got nothing to do with my life outside footy, my job, or my self esteem. What a joke

I love the saints as much as anyone, but i hate losing, and even more than that, i hate mediocre performances. I understand the need to remain positive when competing, but if we are satisfied with always 'doing well' that's not enough for me. Fact is, we SHOULD have won a flag by now. We haven't and its clear that this complacent attitude is why.

We have missed opportunities in the past, and when we let ourselves down, i see it all happening over and over again. When we are playing well, i cheer more than anyone. When someone puts their head over the ball under a pack, i'm the first to commend the effort. But when someone continues to make the same mistake or just demonstrates a complete lack of effort, then i'm not going to sit back and remain positive about it.

There's no bad language, or anything offensive to others around me. And i never ever boo my own team. I purely call it how it is. If you aren't willing to listen to the reality of a situation, then watch the game at home and congratulate anyone in a saints jumper, even if their effort doesn't deserve it.
What exactly does complacency have to do with booing your own team?

Which is what htis thread is about...

We all pretty much go "off" at some point when a mistake is made. But where's the link between not booing your players' mistakes and complacency?

Sounds like you're confusing "frustration" with people who are natural grumps, and have a shytti attitude towards life.

I'd bet my left one that if u were to hang around with these supporters outside of footy, you'd see exactly the same attitude.

Being "heard" at the footy is an outlet for many people... just like being a hero on a forum, or setting fire to houses. It's all about attention seeking. And whilst you may not be that type of person... they do exist.

i think a lot of the booing was from sydney supporters. there's a general consensus (on this forum at least) that no-one agrees with booing their own team. i am referring to other posts within the thread that suggest that we are bad 'supporters' if we call a spade a spade by criticizing a player.

i go to the game to watch the saints. i will pay credit where its due and i'll have a go at them when they aren't performing. i don't go to watch the opposition, so i never have a go at opposition players. i also don't bother with the umpires as they are a lost cause.

if someone is a natural grump in life, so be it. just ignore them, or have a laugh at their poor outlook on life and move on.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

There is a big guy in or near the CS that never shuts up and bags our players all the time

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
St Marcus
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:
markp wrote:
In a word...

BINGO!
Please re-read my post slowly and carefully, I clearly state that I cheer for endeavour and courage.
I would assume that the majority of articulate people would realise that this is regardless of skill level or experience, all I ask is 100% effort. How does it relate to constantly bagging developing and second string players or your team?????

derby Street
Club Player

I am concerned :shock: :D What is going on ? Nearly all these posts are showing a large amount of common sense and obvious support for the players and team we all love to support. It makes me puke when I hear so called supporters constantly bag the team / players.
Constructive criticism on this site is one thing - bagging/ridiculing at the game is something else :x

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

There is a bloke behind us - Scottish accent - who ONLY bags the players. He has been sitting us behind us for a few years and started off hating Gram (ie "you are hopeless"), we take pleasure in bigging him up now, then he moved on to Fiora (maybe he was right but we don't care) and as a reserved seat holder he calls 44 "Mills"!! and continually calls Gwilt, Raph! (get off the ground Raph!!) etc etc!
On Saturday, when we were 7 goals up and cruising he was still bagging individual players and the team....
Makes me want to move seats.....or do something else....

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
maverick
Saintsational Legend

My favourites are the ones that constantly blame and bag the coach.
It started with GT (constantly) and has now moved on to RL.
First quarter of the game on Sat night, out trots the same old garbage, not even 30 mins in. Change the coach, he's no good blah blah blah, make a move blah blah, not the biggest RL fan but give it a rest FFS.

I also can't handle constant bagging of the same players, especially when the bagging comes from someone who read something in the Hun during the week...more respect if they developed their own opinion rather than something they read!!!

The only thing I have a crack at is laziness both of mind and body, its the ultimate insult to us supporters imo. Just want a crack nothing more nothing less.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

steph wrote:on a personal level, i'm ridiculously optimistic about the team - the way only a one-eyed supporter can be. at qtr time i even said to those i was with "if they can get that far up in one qtr, we can make up the difference in one qtr". i am all for the players to have a positive outlook and for the coach particularly to support them.

and if roo misses the first goal of the game so be it, i know they are going to make mistakes. the issue i have is when a player makes the same mistake over and again, highlighting he (or the coaching staff) isn't recognising the issues. if you cant identify problems, we'll never get better.

i have issues with supporters that boo their own team, thats just lame. but i also have issues with people who think anyone that wears a st.kilda jumper is untouchable and can do no wrong. i believe u have to earn that support and respect.
Great post Mark and some good responses like Stephs above...especially like the last bit re being untouchable and earning respect.

Must admit that I am guilty of being pessimistic at times but see this as way of dealing with many years of bitter heartbreak and tears...almost a self defence mechanism that if I don't hope too hard it won't hurt as bad...

Who am I Kidding.... :roll:

Any loss hurts just the same as it ever did...and the wins still give me that high that makes the next week so much more enjoyable.

If they win a flag in my lifetime I promise to become more optimistic....

Until then I reserve the right to be miserable on occassions . :wink:

Heres hoping those occassions are rarer this year and beyond :twisted:
Last edited by saint patrick on Tue 31 Mar 2009 9:34pm, edited 3 times in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
onlooker
Club Player

This is a great post. I agree with the comments on supporters positively feeding off each other as well as the need by some to vent their frustration at what some players are doing on the ground. Other than basic skill errors the thing that gets up my nose is when a player doesn't seem to show the level of intensity required to really compete in the contest. All players have off days but it really shows out when the effort required to get involved in the first place isn't there. I suppose all AFL clubs have these players that seem to need some type of rocket to get their intensity right and with the Saints I certainly voice my opinion about it at the game. This may seem negative to some supporters but you may be surprised that in the Saints lineup there are a couple of repeat offenders who don't seem to have their intensity for the contest right in the first place. It's all very well for me to make my opinion known at the home and away matches but in finals it has to be right - no ifs or buts, intensity has to be on the mark.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

There is another thread about sitting with Sainters and not wanting to be with opposition supporters.
In my experience, I would rather be with a mixture, because I find our supporters too critical and abusive of their own team. A little humour is great, but constant criticism is irritating.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
noblejohn
Club Player

And how many on here who have taken the high moral ground on negativity at the game then come on here and bag the players, coach, game plan etc etc. How many were guilty of calling Fiora, fiona and calling for players to be delisted. All this in a public forum ( and in a place where players and coaches family have been known to visit) but behind the anonymity of the internet. Bit Hypocritical i think

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

noblejohn wrote:And how many on here who have taken the high moral ground on negativity at the game then come on here and bag the players, coach, game plan etc etc. How many were guilty of calling Fiora, fiona and calling for players to be delisted. All this in a public forum ( and in a place where players and coaches family have been known to visit) but behind the anonymity of the internet. Bit Hypocritical i think
The same ones who call Farren Ray, Sharon?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
markp wrote:
In a word...

BINGO!
many people on here see a below average player have a decent game or do a few good things...create a thread on how good he/she is and how they have changed the corner...

fact is they were below average before this...don't jump down other posters throats due to others believing they are still below average...fact is they probably are

thinking that players have turned the corner on the back of a mcqualter goal or the way gwilt held hall last year is accepting mediocrity...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

There's frustration and the resigned sighs at repeated mistakes, and the head in hands 'jesus jimmy, or goose, or raph, or whoever..", the end of the tether exclamation stuff that, as supporters, drives us mad.

This is far different from going the tonk, bagging out a player vocally in a way that an opposition supporter would one of our own. I cant abide it and get really angry and/or disheartened when i'm around it. I think its pretty poor and unsupportive form. I changed my seat to move away from a guy who exactly like this (I still hear him) but was racist to boot, and the sh1t he'd say when Raph (in his 1st season) fumbled or even gallantly put in for an impossible possession was just off.
I clashed with an older woman (who I think has moved away from me) during a dogs game which was close, and she was bagging goose saying "you've lost the the game for us McGuire you idiot" when we still in front (and went on to win) and tld her to "shut the farck up, you're losing the game for us".

Many of us have players we dont rate, or reckon are consistenly slack or whatever. It could be like an "uggghh" heart in the mouth stuff when the ball is kicked in his direction, but the out and out "dont kick it to him","get off" sort of stuff I just dont get.

I've often wondered whether its always been a part of StKilda, this player bagging. I know my grandfather hated and would bag out Gary Colling and of course I'd imagine Billy Barrot was never popular with the fans

Beej
Saintsational Legend

If we don't win a flag within the next 10 years, I reckon I'm going to be that supporter.

Honestly, I reckon years, decades of heartbreak would do that to you.
Last edited by Beej on Tue 31 Mar 2009 10:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The miserable 'supporter'

I agree I havn't been on saintsational for long and still can't believe how negative the posters are.

I got on hoping to talk up our chances of another top 4 finish but found most people only see disaster ahead.

I feel for Fiora too he copped it from Richmonds rabid fans and then the saints fans- he'll need therapy after that crap.

Before the weekend Farren ray was a turnover machine reject and Zac Dawson was not even fit for sandringham.

It must kick the confidence of young kids getting heckled by the crowd and it wouldn't inspire me to stay loyal later when you finally got it together.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Re: The miserable 'supporter'

gringo wrote:I agree I havn't been on saintsational for long and still can't believe how negative the posters are.

I got on hoping to talk up our chances of another top 4 finish but found most people only see disaster ahead.

I feel for Fiora too he copped it from Richmonds rabid fans and then the saints fans- he'll need therapy after that crap.

Before the weekend Farren ray was a turnover machine reject and Zac Dawson was not even fit for sandringham.

It must kick the confidence of young kids getting heckled by the crowd and it wouldn't inspire me to stay loyal later when you finally got it together.
fact is that ray still looked average...zac had plenty of support however he looked gutsy and had the balls to hip and shoulder which is a big plus...he had the balls to make a statement

both have a way to go

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I found even in the intraclub match that I sat in front of a very critical gentleman, I turned around and gave my best attempt at an angry face as I think it was important to make sure they were aware of my disgust.

The strangest thing is that sometimes I don't think it's even about venting frustration, but in some kind of weird way thay are trying to come off as clever?

Frustrated I understand, snide and arrogant I do not...

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I found even in the intraclub match that I sat in front of a very critical gentleman, I turned around and gave my best attempt at an angry face as I think it was important to make sure they were aware of my disgust.

The strangest thing is that sometimes I don't think it's even about venting frustration, but in some kind of weird way thay are trying to come off as clever?

there are plenty of wanky know it alls who go to the football and rattle off a bunch of cliche's....hell they might even know a player or two when they coached them in under 10's...

fatzone, longbomb, tagger blah blah blah

and what ive found its usually the people who are downright failures in life that are the most criticial...its as if watching and commenting on football is the one thing they think they have an idea about...nope

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I found even in the intraclub match that I sat in front of a very critical gentleman, I turned around and gave my best attempt at an angry face as I think it was important to make sure they were aware of my disgust.

there are plenty of wanky know it alls who go to the football and rattle off a bunch of cliche's....hell they might even know a player or two when they coached them in under 10's...

fatzone, longbomb, tagger blah blah blah

and what ive found its usually the people who are downright failures in life that are the most criticial...its as if watching and commenting on football is the one thing they think they have an idea about...nope
You think someone who says "long bomb" and "tagger" is a know-it-all? :lol:

Ah, you're from Brisbane. My apologies.

Do you get supporters over there yelling things like "go for the drop goal!" and "go blind-side"?

Do they call a boundary throw-in a "line-out"?