GC17 Granted Licence...Lock Up Your Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

GC17 Granted Licence...Lock Up Your Saints

The GC17 consortium were granted their licence today.

I know it's wasn't unexpected but it should be our signal to lock our boys into contracts extending beyond 2011. First our Qld boys, Roo, Gilbo and Armo followed by the rest.

It's naive to think we won't lose anyone but it's vital we start working on contract extensions now as GC17 will be very aggressive and no doubt quite persuasive in their recruiting.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I don't think we'll lose anyone. If we do, I think we'll be adequately compensated. They have a ridiculous number of picks. I imagine they'll wind up overpaying for mediocre players as a result.

I think they'll wind up fielding the youngest team ever seen and get slaughtered every week before tiny crowds (after the first few weeks). The current setup for that team is bad for the club, the fans, the players and the league in general.

And AD should have forced them to come up with a nickname before granting the licence. Until they come up with one, I'm referring to them as the Nothings or the Zeroes.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
goodie
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:And AD should have forced them to come up with a nickname before granting the licence. Until they come up with one, I'm referring to them as the Nothings or the Zeroes.
With that logo of theirs I'm thinking the Gold Coast Gays or Budgie Smugglers

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Reiwoldt is out of contract end of 2010. Not sure about the others, but given their "status" Id bet lefty they may well be out of contract at that time.

Im afraid I think we will lose Reiwoldt. Its just a feeling, but they will throw a too good to refuse deal for him to go home.

Im torn on this, IMO I want to keep Reiwoldt., no question. Even more so given the utter lack of confidence I have in the club for getting a appropriate deal for him.

Hmm, what would be the minimum? Two top ten picks? Say One top 3 and another? Dunno.

Hopefully, it WONT come to that.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Reiwoldt is out of contract end of 2010. Not sure about the others, but given their "status" Id bet lefty they may well be out of contract at that time.

Im afraid I think we will lose Reiwoldt. Its just a feeling, but they will throw a too good to refuse deal for him to go home.

Im torn on this, IMO I want to keep Reiwoldt., no question. Even more so given the utter lack of confidence I have in the club for getting a appropriate deal for him.

Hmm, what would be the minimum? Two top ten picks? Say One top 3 and another? Dunno.

Hopefully, it WONT come to that.
Was it mentioned somewhere that his parents are selling business in QLD and moving to Melb?
Even if they don't think he would stay in Melb.
Last edited by chook23 on Tue 31 Mar 2009 6:24pm, edited 2 times in total.

saint4life
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

To give up Riewoldt I would be wanting the number one pick, another top 5 pick and a top 10 pick at the very least.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:To give up Riewoldt I would be wanting the number one pick, another top 5 pick and a top 10 pick at the very least.
Yep, sounds good. But I want him to stay, period.

Thing is, we wouldnt really be in a good position to deal would we? If he is made a offer, and wants to go, what stops GC saying you can have Pick X and X and thats it!

Obviously, I lack drafting knowledge....

PJ
SS Life Member

I'm pretty sure our recruiting department are well aware of what we've got in terms of queenslanders. They'll be keeping a close eye on whose contracts are up and whose we can extend to get a bit of bargaining weight when the time comes.

No one wants Roo to go but the others may be up for grabs as the GC have a lot of high picks and the saints are primed to cash in on this.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
esaint66
SS Life Member

goodie wrote:With that logo of theirs I'm thinking the Gold Coast Gays or Budgie Smugglers

I was thinking the same thing during the week, my brother said what's the Gold Coast teams name and i said they don't have one so he went on the net and saw their mascot (obviously pissed himself :lol: :lol: :lol:) and we both agreed they should be named the budgies or if not we'd call them that.

So in 2011 if you see any fans in the stands yelling out " BUDGIES " come up and say hello :wink:

chook23
Saintsational Legend

a sad day for sainters

but maybe good for expansion of football.......but that is the least of worries or importance

West Coast
Adelaide
Brisbane Bears(Lions)
Port Adelaide
Sydney(swans)

Freo (heaven help)

Gold Coast ???

imagine if they both win a GF coupled with above teams......

makes me feel SICK very sick

but its all about the brand
:evil: :evil: :evil:

saint4life
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

"IF" Roo went to the Gold Coast then maybe we could trade him for someone who can kick it between the big sticks consistently...

We gave up our best player once before and ended up making the Grand Final the next year......

It's not the end of the world if he goes,i wouldn't advocate it though...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:"IF" Roo went to the Gold Coast then maybe we could trade him for someone who can kick it between the big sticks consistently...

We gave up our best player once before and ended up making the Grand Final the next year......

I could have sworn I saw Plugger playing for Sydney in 1996 GF!!

Think plugger left end 94

saint4life
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Bring in free agency, let players go if they want the $.

Just need to increase the salary cap so we can pay players what they're worth.

There's just too big of a discrepancy at present between the highest and lower paid players.

Even with a transparent scheme such as in the a-league, which involves a salary cap with one player exempt, whom you can pay as much as you can afford.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:"IF" Roo went to the Gold Coast then maybe we could trade him for someone who can kick it between the big sticks consistently...

I could have sworn I saw Plugger playing for Sydney in 1996 GF!!

Think plugger left end 94
You did see Plugger play in a Grand Final in 96 and we played in one in 97

something we never achieved when we had the boy from Ballarat...

that's my point...it's what happens after their gone that counts,not the complete accuracy of one's recollections...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Isn't compensation for a uncontracted player going to the goldcaost done by a formula rather than negotiations?

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Roo has said many times he wants to stay at St Kilda. Yes his parents are shifting to Melbourne and his brother has been working at the club for a couple of years.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Roo has said many times he wants to stay at St Kilda. Yes his parents are shifting to Melbourne and his brother has been working at the club for a couple of years.
Yep, no doubt about that one.

Very few great players with strength of character just up and move to another club, unless they are seriously pissed off about the club (Judd) or seriously homesick (Judd).

I can't forsee this being an issue in the slightest for the face of St Kilda.

He is worth a mint + interest to our side.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I have been trying to think who on our list Id be glad to give up for GCFC.

We must be in good shape list wise as I cant think of any Id like to give up off the top of my head.

They are either promising youngsters that I want to see more of or handy depth for the core team.

Just putting it out there as to who you'd all give up happily?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

I would love to start a new thread!!

but

WHERE IS THE OUTCRY

The chances of a Saints premiership will be reduced......even further!!

WHAT THE GOLD COAST CLUB GETS

17-team league from 2011 means a bye each week

Gold Coast will have access to one uncontracted player per club at the end of the 2010 season

In the 2010 national draft, Gold Coast will have the first pick in each round. In the first round, it will have picks 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15 Via the 2009 national draft, Gold Coast will be able to sign 12 17-year-olds

In the 2009 rookie draft, Gold Coast will have selections 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5

AFL commitment: $100m over 6 years
Salary Cap: 2011 $9.21m ($1m more than rival clubs), 2012 ($800,000 more), 2013 ($600,000 more), 2014 ($400,000 more)

saint4life
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Why did the AFL go over the top with all the draft picks? It's essentially giving them a premiership dynasty.

I would have given them.

Picks 1, 5, 9, 15 and then 2 in each round thereafter.

The Saints are coming!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I heard the GC 17 Chairman being interviewed last night. He relayed the story of when Nick R stuck his head in to say G'Day when the saints were up there on the community camp (sounds like they are family friends) his phone went mad with calls and SMS, including a call from Archie Fraser wanting to know what was going on. He went on to say that he knew Archie very well too. Sounds like our (X) Archie was on the ball !!

chook23
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:Isn't compensation for a uncontracted player going to the goldcaost done by a formula rather than negotiations?
My understanding as well.

A B&F player...club will getter better compenstation

BUT AGAIN GC ALSO KEEP THEIR DRAFT PICKS

21 of the best picks out of 27 in a 12 month period

plus one contracted player per club

A DISGRACE

saint4life
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Ablett, Lance Franklin and Nick Riewoldt, who come out of contract at the end of 2010, are firmly in the Gold Coast's sights.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

Westaway said the club would work towards making Riewoldt a one-club player for the duration of his career.

"He has got a very high profile and he deserves that because he is a great talent," he said.

"Look, we will be doing all that we can to make sure Nick stays a Saint until the end of his playing days, the same as what happened to Robert Harvey."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 72,00.html

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

chook23 wrote:Gold Coast will have access to one uncontracted player per club at the end of the 2010 season
Don't hit the panic button. That's more of a limitation than anything else. What it means is the club can only lure one player per team with its pot of gold.

If Roo wants to chase a $1.5m contract I'm sure the opportunity is there.

Buddy Franklin has already gone on record saying he's not interested:
LANCE Franklin has vowed to stay at Hawthorn for his whole career — potentially costing himself millions of dollars in wages at rival clubs.

The 22-year-old Coleman medallist yesterday categorically declared he would be a Hawk for life.

"Definitely. I'm going to stay a one-team man and never look like leaving Hawthorn ever," he said ahead of Hawthorn's clash against Sydney on Saturday night. "I love the club."

With his contract up at the end of 2010 and, speaking on the same day that the AFL announced it had granted a licence for a Gold Coast team to enter the competition in 2011, Franklin said he would gladly re-sign with Hawthorn this year if the opportunity arose — even if it meant less money than the Gold Coast offered.

"We all want to stick together as a team and if that means taking pay cuts that's what you've got to do as a team," he said.
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews ... 80173.html

I would think (and in Nick's case, hope) that it's the same with any marquee players currently at strong clubs. If the Gold Coast manage to lure any players from the top teams it will more than likely be fringe players on the list.

Dal said something along the lines of the Saints group all wanting to stick together a couple of years ago. I'm not saying you can take that to the bank, but it should be at least a little reassuring.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
chook23 wrote:Gold Coast will have access to one uncontracted player per club at the end of the 2010 season
Don't hit the panic button. That's more of a limitation than anything else. What it means is the club can only lure one player per team with its pot of gold.

If Roo wants to chase a $1.5m contract I'm sure the opportunity is there.

Buddy Franklin has already gone on record saying he's not interested:
LANCE Franklin has vowed to stay at Hawthorn for his whole career — potentially costing himself millions of dollars in wages at rival clubs.

The 22-year-old Coleman medallist yesterday categorically declared he would be a Hawk for life.

"Definitely. I'm going to stay a one-team man and never look like leaving Hawthorn ever," he said ahead of Hawthorn's clash against Sydney on Saturday night. "I love the club."

With his contract up at the end of 2010 and, speaking on the same day that the AFL announced it had granted a licence for a Gold Coast team to enter the competition in 2011, Franklin said he would gladly re-sign with Hawthorn this year if the opportunity arose — even if it meant less money than the Gold Coast offered.

"We all want to stick together as a team and if that means taking pay cuts that's what you've got to do as a team," he said.
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews ... 80173.html

I would think (and in Nick's case, hope) that it's the same with any marquee players currently at strong clubs. If the Gold Coast manage to lure any players from the top teams it will more than likely be fringe players on the list.

Dal said something along the lines of the Saints group all wanting to stick together a couple of years ago. I'm not saying you can take that to the bank, but it should be at least a little reassuring.
that was not my main point.......

but in conjuction with all the draft picks......

the amount and quality of the draft picks being main point.

saint4life