Two minutes of brilliance from Gwilt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BonoRocks
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:12 touches, 1 goal.
And your point? Were you at the game just out of interest?
i was at the game and said to whom i was with, great so 3 minutes of football will keep him in the side next week. He is easily knocked out of a contest, can hardly stick a tackle. He is a fringe player and we are carrying a few that in big games will cost us. This notion of its not broken dont fix it is crazy.

Gardiner, Milne and Gilbert need to come in and my heart says id like to see McGuire in too, but Goose for whom i am not so sure.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes.

and what difference does that make.

He was not in our best 12. and we had a few passengers.....if his great game cannot get him in our best 12....where does his average games put him...

IMO he is the second weakest player in our team ATM.......

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yes.

and what difference does that make.

He was not in our best 12. and we had a few passengers.....if his great game cannot get him in our best 12....where does his average games put him...

IMO he is the second weakest player in our team ATM.......
Firstly as you brought up stats at least use correct ones. He had 15 possies. Again I hate stats but he also got 85 dreamteam points which suggests thiose stats were mighty important. 6 were contested which you see better at the game as do you see the body work better at the game so that is why I mentioned that. As for second weakest player well it depends what position you play doesnt it and who can replace you. Ben is obviously the weakest player but will play again next week if King goes. Also I actually dont think he is second weakest as Ben, Raph and Bakes are probably ahead of him in that department.

saint08
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:I thought that in the last quarter that he at last looked like a real forward.

I have the feeling that Lyon is using 2009 to develop him into the HF that we will need in the finals.

Sometimes he looks lost...sometimes he looks marvelous.

His second half was good.
This is a good observation. We all see him making errors, nbut the early plan was gilbert in the forward line as the lead up forward. Now he is superb at half back, he will stay there and give the run off the half back. so we need a thrid forwaRD WHo can mark. What he seems to lack is wareness of where to position himself when Roo or Kos are going for the amrk. Needs to improve on that a lot, and apply a bit more aggression IMO

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I was right in front of Gwilt's mark and conversion - just to the right of the Kangas cheer squad. Roo and Kosi sprayed easier shots at the same end. That assist shortly after was gravy.

Last night's game was almost enough to make me forget his recent weeks. What I saw was his decision making is improving immensely, and made me think he will be embarrassing some doubters here very soon - including me.

Other improvements are he is no longer being pinged for aggro and late challenges at the contest like last year. No glaring turnovers that I saw. The stats say 1 free against and 1 for. That's a big leap on a number of indicators. Brendon Goddard gave away 4 frees last night.

saint vince
Club Player

He has a role and that is to present as a third option.

That is exactly what he is doing.

He gets it when his man sags off him to fill in the hole andwhen his man goes with him we kick it to Roo or Kosi.(obviousy)

I don't see where all the critiscm comes from. He is not in the side as a crumbing forward he is not in the side as a full forward he is the third option and he does what is required.

He should have been used more yesterday when he got into dangerous positions but was ignored.

Milton66
SS Life Member

I reckon he's better than average and he'll continue to improve.

He finally has a set position, so give him time and support.

Wasn't at the game, but the radio on 774 had good vibes about the way he was playing.

After BJ, he's close to the best kick in the team.

The seniors is the best place to develop players. Almost everyone has been on his back coz they wanna see Goose back, yet Gwilt doesn't get dropped.

So maybe people should start to lay off him and let him develop. He's no superstar, and never will be.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Enjoyed his game yesterday, deserves some credit for his application for the whole match. He's not Steve Johnson and unfortunately no one on our list is a Steve Johnson so we structure up as best we can and work to our other strengths, primarily giving Kosi and Roo their best opportunities to contest without a crowd and if there is a few about then Milne and Schneider can do their work.

It's been good watching Gwilt and Schneider playing hit up forwards on the wing this year meaning Roo hasn't had to do it as much and remain much more dangerous.

PJ
SS Life Member

Next week Gards, Gilbert & Milney will all be back if fit. None of these players fit his position - no not even Gilbert, so he'll stay.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
BallBanger
Club Player

PJ wrote:Next week Gards, Gilbert & Milney will all be back if fit. None of these players fit his position - no not even Gilbert, so he'll stay.
Maybe you could bring gilbert in for qwilt and play goddard as 3rd forward...don't always have to swap for same.

Gwilts easily lost when the opposition has the ball and can only tackle when they don't see him...too easily wrongfooted and must start defending with more purpose...

PJ
SS Life Member

Gwilts easily lost when the opposition has the ball and can only tackle when they don't see him...too easily wrongfooted and must start defending with more purpose...
Agree he needs to step up the defensive pressure. I still think he's learning and looks a bit lethargic but he is improving so it'll be interesting on team selection night. As I've said before he's not assertive enough.

Your right about Goddard going forward they're already doing that but he won't stay there all night he'll alternate forward with someone else depending on match-ups. I think Raph is probably making the worst decisions out there at present so he'll probably get a Sandy Guernsey this week. It'll be interesting to see if Milne comes up, the knees obviously worse than first thought.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

i've enjoyed his game this week. has been improvng. little by little.