rumours about goose furture

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

there is stupid talk around that Mat maguire might be finished at the end of the year I hope not its take time to get over a bad leg break plus a few weeks ago RL said he had plans for a tall forward or even in the ruck

trevor barker
Legendary
Club Player

Personally I don't believe he has the ability to contribute in a meaningful way again at the Saints ... I know that's not a popular opinion ... but I wouldn't be surprised to see him delisted.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

...oh yes, and Alistair Smith will be starting on the wing Round 1, Dempster coming straight back into the side after the break...where do you get this stuff?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:...oh yes, and Alistair Smith will be starting on the wing Round 1, Dempster coming straight back into the side after the break...where do you get this stuff?
You beat me to it. Jabber please give us your source so we know if we ever meet the guy we can just ignore him or is it you like starting a thread to see the reaction. I will go with the latter.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Re: rumours about goose furture

JABBER wrote:there is stupid talk around that Mat maguire might be finished at the end of the year I hope not its take time to get over a bad leg break plus a few weeks ago RL said he had plans for a tall forward or even in the ruck
Just where does this "stupid talk" come from???

a couple of your clown mates told you this???

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The goose has plenty left to offer. His injury problems were far worse than the club let on. It's been a magnificent effort just to get back to playing at all. There has been an ultra conservative approach to his rehab because of the damage done by his premature return in Round 1, 2007. He did suffer nerve damage in his leg and foot and that takes a long time to repair, if it ever does. We certainly don't want a Matthew Egan type situation.

He'll be back. Remember how long it took Nathan Brown to recover some form after his injury? He's been named an emergency, so he must be near the front of the queue for when the next opportunity arises. I'm sure he's somewhere in RL's plans for September. Having said that, a fit and in form goose would generate a fair bit of excitement at the trade table. I think too much hard work and patience has gone into his rehab to let him go. I think if he recovers fully he's a "Saint for life", type.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
SteveStevens66
Club Player

And when you give us your source you can throw in some punctuation and proper English, you clown.

Carna Saints!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SteveStevens66 wrote:And when you give us your source you can throw in some punctuation and proper English, you clown.
Don't you like the spelling in the thread title?

Legendary
Club Player

Plenty left to offer based on what?

His performances 4 years ago?

Two good, but not outstanding games in the VFL?

I just don't understand this hype about him.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Apparently he has no furture.

When somebody finds his furture could you please return it to the club.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SteveStevens66
Club Player

[quote="joffaboy"]Apparently he has no furture.

No doubt about it. MM has absolutely no furture at StKilda. But as for his future at the Saints, it looks pretty bright and will begin to shine even brighter soon enough.

Carna Saints!!!
JABBER
Club Player

I said i hope not because i think he is a good player answer this question why isnt he playing in the 1s

you can have a go at me for round 1 selection Smith on a wing but alot of peolpe had Armitage in there team he hasnt played any games this year

My saurse told me Milne was out of the gold Coast game which was correct

The Dempster post some people agreed with me some people didnt only time will tell

now if you people dont want me to write again let me know and i will stop

trevor barker
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

JABBER wrote:I said i hope not because i think he is a good player answer this question why isnt he playing in the 1s

you can have a go at me for round 1 selection Smith on a wing but alot of peolpe had Armitage in there team he hasnt played any games this year

My saurse told me Milne was out of the gold Coast game which was correct

The Dempster post some people agreed with me some people didnt only time will tell

now if you people dont want me to write again let me know and i will stop
Are you 12?

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

goose will play against the tigers...

#1 Ryder fan
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:goose will play against the tigers...
I totally agree. Baring an injury to him he will play against the Tigers in 2 weeks time.

To the top
SS Life Member

Firstly he must be somewhere around the mark, at least in terms of encouragement, because he was named as an Emergency v. North Melbourne.

And the Emergency positions v. Carlton were taken by R. Clarke and Gwilt, who had been dropped, and Armitage (Gardiner, Gilbert and Milne returning and King suspended).

Secondly, I thought our defence mis-fired v. Carlton because of structure.

This was emphasised when Sam Fisher and then Dawson were put forward.

We did not have defenders (except Gilbert) who had the pace to go with and pressure when Carlton went "small" (and quick) in their forwards to exploit our personnel.

Given this scenario, Maguire will not be added to the deficiency of our defensive structure v. Carlton.

On top of this, Sam Fisher was pressured by Carlton and this took a rebounder out - and Sam's form suffered both in terms of contest, hands including marking and in creating space.

We need some more pace able to stick on the sublime skills of the likes of Betts and others.

There are a couple with question marks over them after being exposed as they were but Maguire is not a replacement in the back 6 because he replicates the problem which was exposed.

Jones, who got the defensive position we are deficient in earlier in the season, has now graduated to mid-field duties doing the same job - displacing Baker who has gone back but does not bring what Jones was bringing.

I can see R. Clarke returning - and maybe Dempster because he has (or had) pace but that will be 4/6 weeks away.

If we have Max now back, his replacement Dawson still in the side, Gilbert and Sam Fisher as 4 of the defensive 6, who does Blake get because he is a simlilar type but without the pace of Max and Gilbert?

Given a back 6 of Max, Dawson, S. Fisher, Gilbert, Blake and Baker you can see what opposition sides will target.

Their keys may be under pressure to contribute including because 5 of our 6 can match up on keys.

But only one matches up on the opportunist - aka the effort on Milne.

This is what concerned me when I saw the side v. Carlton and I thought that game would be very hard yakka accordingly - I was not disappointed. It was very hard yakka because we had trouble shutting players down - players you looked at prior and could not see the match up.

And this is where Maguire's problem in returning to AFL footy houses.

Quixote
SS Life Member

There are little problems.

The backline is too cumbersome as it currently stands, and we missed our third marking option (Jimmy or other) up forward.

Will Goose be tried forward?

Did Geary and Macca do enough to hold their spots? You'd think not - Armo could get a run for Gears but this team, in terms of structure, really needs the two genuine rucks I think.

Ross seems intent on keeping the likes of Goddard/Gram free from backline duties, and this is a great thing.

But at what cost?

Miles may play back there soon as he is a very agile type.

Having watched most of the Blues replay I would think the next in line for the chop is Jason Blake.

Completely disagree with all this talk of Baker going. He was great and adds so much to this team that cannot be accounted for.

...just ramblings here I'm afraid!

For mine - Armo in for Gears and an agile, pacy back in for Blake.

Until King comes back, there is a chance of Goose in for Macca. Try and find him a spot.

And what's with people suggesting Goose could be going to Carlton? :evil:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Quixote
SS Life Member

Oh, and bring back Jimmy Gwilt at all costs because he is a SUPERSTAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

No coincidence that the first game he misses is our narrowest victory of the year........

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

JABBER wrote:

The is no way that Dempster will play in the seniors that early.

Dempster has only played half a game of football....so now way he will be playing seniors that quickly.

So if that was from your source.....I would imagine that your source is on the sauce.

As to Goose.....to early to make a call either way at present. Lets wait till seasons end shall we. However so far he seems to be on track.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
To the top
SS Life Member

If Maguire rucks, we are in all sorts of trouble.

Havn't we learnt with Kosi?

You ruck ruckmen, not good sized KPP's.

We will miss King big time until he returns, including because he compliments Gardiner so well and enables us the luxury of throwing Gardiner forward for short periods.

McEvoy will be OK because he has very clean hands (as did Brooks before him, but McEvoy is those critical centimetres taller) but he has a way to go in the ruck contests where he finished up on the ground a little too often.

He will learn, and he is 200cm.

JABBER
Club Player

Dempster if fully fit adds something to the side if he is struggling then he will be good next year.
My friend a Sydney surporter told me dempster played good Finals for Sydney and we surely missed him last years finals

trevor barker
python
Club Player

in the words of Mr. T, quit your jibber, jabber.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

JABBER wrote:Dempster if fully fit adds something to the side if he is struggling then he will be good next year.
My friend a Sydney surporter told me dempster played good Finals for Sydney and we surely missed him last years finals
well said Jabber - this post actually makes some sense.

Stick around mate.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

The future of Goose has to have some doubts surrounding it. I don't have to listen to rumours, I just have to see how many games he has managed to play in the AFL since his horrifc injury. What concerns me is that his leg may end up causing him his career, just like Brown from Richmond. That has not been a successful comeback, if anything, it shows how much a serious injury can affect your career.

I hope I am wrong (as I have not had a chance to see him play yet in the VFL). I would dearly love to see Goose make a comeback for us this year and be a part of our Grand Final team. :D

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

JABBER wrote:you can have a go at me for round 1 selection Smith on a wing but alot of peolpe had Armitage in there team he hasnt played any games this year

Big difference people saying they think such and such should be in the the team, and someone saying that a player is in the team.

Your source is your older brother right?