Eddy and Contested Possessions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Eddy and Contested Possessions

Contested possessions are all the rage and I reckon that's why Eddy's in the side.

From the Melbourne game, here's contested possessions, uncontested possessions and the percentage of possessions which are contested:

Eddy,R: 7/6 = 53.85%
Baker,S: 8/8 = 50.00%
Koschitzke,J: 7/7 = 50.00%
Riewoldt,N: 7/8 = 46.67%
Gilbert,S: 10/13 = 43.48%
McEvoy,B: 3/4 = 42.86%
McQualter,A: 6/11 = 35.29%
Montagna,L: 11/21 = 34.38%
Milne,S: 9/19 = 32.14%
King,S: 5/13 = 27.78%
Dal Santo,N: 10/28 = 26.32%
Dawson,Z: 4/12 = 25.00%
Dempster,S: 3/9 = 25.00%
Clarke,R: 3/10 = 23.08%
Hayes,L: 8/29 = 21.62%
Goddard,B: 6/22 = 21.43%
Ray,F: 6/22 = 21.43%
Jones,C: 3/16 = 15.79%
Fisher,S: 4/25 = 13.79%
Blake,J: 2/16 = 11.11%
Gram,J: 2/32 = 5.88%
Schneider,A: 0/6 = 0.00%

One way to read these stats is that Eddy is the one going in hardest. I reckon you could make a case for that today.

The other way to read them is that he never ends up in the right positions to get uncontested possessions, as Fisher or Gram do, for instance.

Which is it?

Batnoe

Whats a contested possession? one in dispute and they win it? if that is the case, what are the efficiency of their disposals....?

Would have thought Schneider would usually be higher, but wasnt a good game by his standards

saintDal
Club Player

He certainly went in hard today. You can't fault his effort.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

These stats can't be compared with the players who didn't play for the Saints today who are challenging Eddy for his spot. I would say that both Ball and Armo are certaintly capable of achieving 54% of contested possessions. Especially given the type of aggressive, in and under players that they are. This is not the reason that Eddy is in the team surely??
Last edited by Bardon Saint on Sun 30 Aug 2009 9:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I think the % is a red herring. If Eddy's job was to get contested possessions, he went so-so: 7 is a reasonable, but not spectacular, haul for a guy playing in the forward half of the ground.

Eddy rightly does not seek uncontested ball and his team mates likewise try to avoid giving it to him. He is a poor kick: lots of elevation, not much aim.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
DWOODROW
Club Player

R u serious. By far our worst today. Does he have any clue on what is going on at AFL level. Turns it over, does stuff all

kp83
Club Player

DWOODROW wrote:R u serious. By far our worst today. Does he have any clue on what is going on at AFL level. Turns it over, does stuff all

:roll:

DWOODROW
Club Player

kp83 wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:R u serious. By far our worst today. Does he have any clue on what is going on at AFL level. Turns it over, does stuff all

:roll:
:roll: :roll: Back at ya knob. If you think Eddy is going to help us win a flag you are delusional.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I'm not quite willing to write him off yet. I think he still has a way to go, but he has a number of attributes which form a good base. He is young and still does not have a great deal of confidence. He is a god runner and tackler. His skills are OK most of the time but poor under real pressure. But he is not alone in that regard. This may not be his year, but if he is our worst player, it explains why we are 20-2. I can tell you that in the 80s he would have been one of the first picked, which explains why we were 2-20 in those days.

DWOODROW
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:I'm not quite willing to write him off yet. I think he still has a way to go, but he has a number of attributes which form a good base. He is young and still does not have a great deal of confidence. He is a god runner and tackler. His skills are OK most of the time but poor under real pressure. But he is not alone in that regard. This may not be his year, but if he is our worst player, it explains why we are 20-2. I can tell you that in the 80s he would have been one of the first picked, which explains why we were 2-20 in those days.
Ha :lol: good point. Nothing against him but his disposal and football skills need work. It's all well and good to be able to run to space and a decent tank but this is football. When you have a chance to do something with it you have to, skillfully and not turn it over. He needs more time to develop his whole game.

The Peanut
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:I'm not quite willing to write him off yet. I think he still has a way to go, but he has a number of attributes which form a good base. He is young and still does not have a great deal of confidence. He is a [color=red]god[/color] runner and tackler. His skills are OK most of the time but poor under real pressure. But he is not alone in that regard. This may not be his year, but if he is our worst player, it explains why we are 20-2. I can tell you that in the 80s he would have been one of the first picked, which explains why we were 2-20 in those days.
'God' runner is a bit over the top :wink:

but he could be an inclusion if we need him because of possible injuries/suspensions ... I think RL has done a great job over the past 4 weeks in creating a smokescreen and giving some of the promising 2's some experience, just in case we need them in the finals campaign.

The shock Jock journo's are sooo bl..dy susceptible - except for those who know the modern game.

Hope to see Ball pop up out of nowhere sometime during the finals.

GO SAINTS - I have faith :P

saintly_safes
Club Player

Tried his but off & was hard at it but his disposal needs some serious attention.Carnt fault his endevour but not up to it yet imo

Winmar
Club Player

That's what I thought during the Collingwood final last year.

python
Club Player

Milne had more contested possessions that hayes today. I would never have thought id be saying that!

I personally like eddy, hes skills may not be the best, but he goes in hard, has a great workrate too

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Re: Eddy and Contested Possessions

bergholt wrote:Contested possessions are all the rage and I reckon that's why Eddy's in the side.
While Eddy may have had seven contested possessions today, he's averaging 4.5 a game for the year. That's hardly incredible. I think he's in because he plays hard, runs hard, pressures, tackles and goes in when it's his turn. We don't have a better option to play the role he does. Both Ball and Armitage have been tried in that role and haven't been as effective.

I think Eddy will continue to be selected as long as he's effective in his role and as long as we need him in that role. If RL decides we need another onballer for Collingwood, I think Eddy will be the one who makes way. If RL decides we need more size in the forward line, he'll be the one out. Right now, I'd be leaning toward no change unless injury forces a change.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm going to pick you up here, you are often defensive when this kind of post is directed at someone you are loyal to...

DWOODROW
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
I'm going to pick you up here, you are often defensive when this kind of post is directed at someone you are loyal to...
So the fact that I am loyal to Dave doesn't give me reason to voice my opinion on how I thought Eddy played today. This is the first post I have come out and ridiculed him and I am in no way wanting him to make way for Dave. He should get into the team on his own merits, but Eddy's skill level is not AFL standard. I don't care who comes in for him, I just think there are players with better skills.
As I have said in previous posts, it is not about individuals at this time of the season but the team and what works best. Surely you can't say Eddyt is an integral part of the team. Good luck to Eddy but he needs to work on his game. AS DOES ARMO.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
So the fact that I am loyal to Dave doesn't give me reason to voice my opinion on how I thought Eddy played today. This is the first post I have come out and ridiculed him and I am in no way wanting him to make way for Dave. He should get into the team on his own merits, but Eddy's skill level is not AFL standard. I don't care who comes in for him, I just think there are players with better skills.
As I have said in previous posts, it is not about individuals at this time of the season but the team and what works best. Surely you can't say Eddyt is an integral part of the team. Good luck to Eddy but he needs to work on his game. AS DOES ARMO.
Not at all, just the manner in which you did so...

DWOODROW
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:

Yes I agree probably a bit harsh but can't understand how people think he played well today. I admit I havn't seen him play live or how he gets himself into position but he needs some time to adjust and get everything working a footballer needs into his game. Next year he will come into his own. This year I thought was about the day in September everyone has been dreaming of for so long. :wink:
Last edited by DWOODROW on Mon 31 Aug 2009 12:46am, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Love your passion DWOODROW, but I trust the coach.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Eddy-emphatic OUT
Dempster-emphatic OUT

Ball,Geary -IN

I don't want 2008 finals series groundhog day running around the MCG the next 2-4 weeks. Today I saw it

Bring back the Lockett era
DWOODROW
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Love your passion DWOODROW, but I trust the coach.
We are all going to have to. I hope he gets the boys pumping. :)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:

Yes I agree probably a bit harsh but can't understand how people think he played well today. I admit I havn't seen him play live or how he gets himself into position but he needs some time to adjust and get everything working a footballer needs into his game. Next year he will come into his own. This year I thought was about the day in September everyone has been dreaming of for so long. :wink:
No worries :D