Here we are again

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Here we are again

I am about as nervous as you can be, as we all know this is our 4th attempt to get into the Grand Final in the last 6 years.
All logic suggests we should win this time, however football isn't always logical.
Fact is we have beaten this side 3 times this year (if you include the practice match at Princes Park in February)
All 3 times we beat them comfortably and we're never really threatened.
But losing tomorrow night scares the hell out of me, because if we do, I believe it will do tremendous damage to this playing group.
However, if they bring their best, the result will go the same way as every other game this year.
As with Collingwood, the Bulldogs require precision entries into their forward 50, they do not have a player in their forward line that can out mark our key defenders.
On the other hand, they have to decide if their one key defender (Lake) matches up on Roo, or Kosi. Roo has beaten Lake comprehensively on both occassions.
Our pressure, prevents them from doing their precise entries, just like it did to Collingwood.
I don't think the Dogs can beat us, but we can beat ourselves, we must get away to a good start and make them attempt to play catch up football.
If we do that, than the week's rest will come into play.
Also, if they have suspect players, that will hurt them too.
I am confident, but scared, and definetly not arrogant, because I know we can lose.
WE HAVE BEEN THE BEST TEAM ALL YEAR, LET"S GO OUT TOMORROW NIGHT AND SHOW THE WORLD WHY THAT IS SO!
GO SAINTS, OUR TIME IS AT HAND!

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
yipper
SS Life Member

Yes, we return to the scene of such heartbreak over recent years.

We simply must play the game on OUR terms, not let them play their way. We should be able to do it again, we are a damn good team, much better than Brisbane. It is going to be a great contest, but it is our time now. The doggies will get their turn soon enough.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

last week i was nervous but kinda confident we would beat the pies

this week im not really nervous at all
i think we will win, and book that spot for next week and then back up that performance

ross and the rest of the coaching staff have our boys in the best shape they can be in...and i have faith in the boys
i just cant wait to get in the car and start driving 8-)
Last edited by matrix on Thu 17 Sep 2009 5:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

3rdGS - you have reflected my feelings exactly. I am so freakin nervous it is killing me.

I have lost several kilos this week due to my constant running to the bathroom.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:3rdGS - you have reflected my feelings exactly. I am so freakin nervous it is killing me.

I wish i was that nervous and so does my wife.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
Why can't this hapen to those of us who need to? :oops: :oops: :roll: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SaintHomer
Club Player

no changes to either side i reckon

some key matchups

lake v kosi (must get on top early)
morris v riewoldt (ditto)
harbrow v milne (kick goals and must not allow him to run off to easily)
eddy v gilbee (as above)
cross v hayes (big first qtr)
baker v aker (shut him out)
gilbert v johnson (ditto)

all of this happens and we're a long way to a big win

HarveysDeciple

plugger66 wrote:
fingers wrote:3rdGS - you have reflected my feelings exactly. I am so freakin nervous it is killing me.

I wish i was that nervous and so does my wife.
lol. You've been in fine form this week.

My nerves have made this a grumpy household.

The gf is stressing over the result of the game as much as I am and even the cat is feeling the tension, been in a bad mood all week.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

all of this happens and we're a long way to a big win
If all of that happens we've pretty much already won I'd say.

thequarry
Club Player

I CAN'T STAND IT.

One more day. It kind of scares me that there will be a point in time very, very soon where we all know exactly what happened, and we'll have to live with whatever that is; and "whatever that is" will have, on most of us I'm assuming, a pretty big effect...

saintly_safes
Club Player

The saints have controlled my life for 46 years & at pressent I dont know how to feel.I'm nervous yet quitely confident but in a bit over 24 hours I could be shattered or euphoric.Then I have to either try & reflect on how well we did this year & think of all positive aspects of the season & look forward to next year or be a nervous wreck for another week & repeat the process again.Being a saints fan can be tough but if we can win this weekend & win next weekend it will be worth the tears , heartbreak & putdown.Go the mighty sainters bring the big one home "please"

Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

Good OP Bruce. This is pretty much how I feel too - Hopeful but still concerned for what can happen on the night, even though history is on our side.

I am hoping my biggest problem will be trying to figure out how to get a GF ticket and a flight down to Melbourne!

I hope all the Saintsational contacts can help advise us out of state, long-time supporters any clues on how to get tickets to the match????

StSteven
Club Player

One side of me says we were the best team in 2009 (won 20 games) and should win the flag.

Another side of me says Geelong won 21 last year and did not win the flag.

So you don't get what you deserve you get what you earn through hard work.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Rick, suggest you have your computer on tomorrow and as soon as it looks like we are going to win, I'd be trying to grab one of the corporate packages from one of the clubs.
Think the inflated price for the package will be the same as the inflated price from a scalper.
Then book a flight for Friday night.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:last week i was nervous but kinda confident we would beat the pies

this week im not really nervous at all
i think we will win, and book that spot for next week and then back up that performance

ross and the rest of the coaching staff have our boys in the best shape they can be in...and i have faith in the boys
i just cant wait to get in the car and start driving 8-)
Agreed....This is pretty much how I've been rolling this week but I have had a lot of distractions.

I reckon that if we cant win it, in the current shape we are in, then we are just not good enough.....but the thing is. We are good enough.

I cant fault the game plan. I cant fault the coach.

All that is left now is the execution....And that has been pretty flawless this year.

All good, All good.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

There is NO doubt in my mind that under the pressure of a preliminary final, our game plan, our players, our in close skills and our structures will stand up solid.

The dogs need high margin skills to be effective. It's just how they match up against us.

Ross hasn't let me down at all this year. Won't stop now.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
emmdee
Club Player

I am feeling more relaxed after reading above posts, thanks.... :)

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy