Another B&F wrap (with pics)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_4_life
Club Player

Another B&F wrap (with pics)

Firstly, well done to Roo, amazing acheivement overtaking harves for most B&F wins already. Ill try to write a summary, but just a disclaimer that I had several crownies, so may of forgot some stuff haha.

The night was MC'd by Craig Willis, and the first person to speak was Greg Westaway. He just did alot of the thank-you to sponsers and the like and went through some key acheivements for the club this season. Cant really remember what else he said lol.

I think CEO Michael Nettlefold spoke next, and I was most impressed with him. He spoke about how he has been involved in the club for 30+ years, played 46? games (of which he said 45 were very average haha). Spoke about how he accepted 13.5 cents in the dollar in player payments (and he said even that was too much haha) and highlighted key sacrifices people have made over the years to keep this club running. Talked about how the club brought verdun howell's brownlow this year, and how the howell family burst into tears when he rang them to tell them what the club was doing - it meant that much to them to keep it within st kilda. He promised verdun that the new saints museum at seaford what proudly display 3 key pieces of memorabilia - the 1966 premiership cup, his brownlow medal, and another premiership cup. This bloke is the real deal, and he loves the saints.

Ross Lyon's speech was pretty brief, said it wasnt the night for motivational speechs, but congratulated the playing group for the season and also thanked all his assistant coaches.

All the players who played milestone games during the year got called up to receive a framed picture of some sort.

There was a tribute to retiring players Jarryd Allen and also Max. Robert Harvey got up and spoke about Max, saying what a true clubman he was and that he would be missed. Max thanked all his family and friends, and said he hoped his two boys would come through the father-son system. Also said he will be at the footy next year cheering the boys on every week.

Micheal Roberts did some roving reporting in the crowd, speaking to Harves, Michael Klim and Molly Meldrum. Molly had a little dig, saying that in the 3rd quarter of the GF he wished Max was playing.

The count was done in blocks of 7 rounds, and then each final seperately. After showing highlights of each 7 rounds, we got the leaderboard after those rounds. Lenny was leading after 14 rounds, and Montagna was leading after 22 rounds. Roo's finals series got him over the line.

Before the count there was a highlights package of Trevor Barker, which almost brought a tear to the eye. I wish I was able to see him in his heyday. The Trevor Barker trophy looks like this:

Some other points - the catering was good, beers kept coming at a good speed. Meals were pretty small, but tasty. Needed a fire extinguisher after the entree thai beef salad - whew. Some players were more accomodating with fans then others - some were happy for photos and a chat, others were not lets just say. Zac is a character, he is a pretty relaxed and funny bloke, and Lenny is just a superstar on and off the field. Didnt really get a chance to speak to most of the players though.

Is there anything else somebody wants to add ? Or did I miss something ? I did say that the crownies were coming thick and fast haha

asiu

is that white cylinder a 'candle holder' ?

*BaLLy iS BeST*
Club Player

so you got drinks brought round often? I had two champers for the whole night!! they were never around! lol.
good summary though :D noticed all of those cylinder shaped centrepieces were missing from every table in the room at the end of the night :lol:

i will miss you bally. but i guess you just didn't want to be here.

heres hoping you are regretting that choice on that last day in september 2010 - go saints.
SaintAndrew
Club Player

Great post. Thanks!!

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Super read. Thanks for putting in the effort!!

I REALLY want to know which players you are refering to when saying some wern't so accomodating towards the fans. Any clues?

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Gilb's Mum and Dad are the proud recipients of Table No. 19 centrepiece, possibly courtesy of saintvic? Well done, they were rapt with it.

Sainter_4_life
Club Player

*BaLLy iS BeST* wrote:so you got drinks brought round often? I had two champers for the whole night!! they were never around! lol.
good summary though :D noticed all of those cylinder shaped centrepieces were missing from every table in the room at the end of the night :lol:
Haha yes one of those cylinders may or may not be proudly sitting on my bar at the moment 8-)

ace
Saintsational Legend

After each game
Does each of the 5 coaches give every player a score out of 10
OR do they award votes to 10 players, 10 votes down to 1 vote..

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Sainter_4_life
Club Player

ace wrote:After each game
Pretty sure the 4 coaches (Ross, SOS, elshaw and Tudor) all vote 10-1 after every game. Therefore a player can score a maximum of 40 in each game

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:After each game
they stated- 4 of the football staff ( assume main coaches but could be a selection) give votes out of ten for each player

most possible for any one week 40 per player,
they only showd the top 10-12 from each week and in the presentation only gave the totals after 7, 14 and 22 rounds- not week by week

so for example Kosi and Bally could have been scoring at a slightly lower level but totals lower than other- or having individually great games, again not shown

out of interest- Bally tallied 26 votes from 3 games at sandy- not sure how theya re tallied- but hisghest for any player in a week was 12- 15
Last edited by saintbrat on Sun 04 Oct 2009 5:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
fingers
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:Super read. Thanks for putting in the effort!!

I REALLY want to know which players you are refering to when saying some wern't so accomodating towards the fans. Any clues?
the 5 players I spoke to and got a pix of were great except one. Dal, Sam Fisher, Gram, and Roo were quite charming and happy to chat. I congratulated Gram on his performance in the GF and even he thought it was the best game he had ever played.

While speaking and taking a pic with Gram we asked another rplayer for a pic - my wifes favourite Saints player, and he flatly refused. Little bit of a dampner on the what was otherwise agood night.

Good to see Snoopy and Iceman - sorry we missed you both later I the night.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I posted this in another thread... but this thread seems to have the legs
Just woke up.

Can't get my house dark enough... my head hurts.

Was a fantastic night, met up with the who's who of Saintsational - saintbrat, snoopygirl, fingers, st fid, saintly, saintvic, ghost like and bigmicka, and you wouldn't find a nicer bunch of people.

I found the players very approachable and more than willing to be involved in photo's. Sorry to hear Bally is bests story above, but I certainly didn't encounter that nor did our group as far as I know.

Gilbo and Sam Fisher get my vote as the two most approachable, and what ripping blokes Gilbo and Kosi's dads are.

Thanks to the footy club for organising such a wonderful event and giving us the opportunity to be part of it.

The messiah complex was alive and well for Iceman234 when he had his photo taken with The Great Man!

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Fantastic night, but I am over Molly Meldrum. Thought it was totally inappropriate to make that comment about Max. And I am sick to death of him banging on about the Storm.

Michael Nettlefolds speech was very passionate, I was impressed big time.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Couldn't agree more about Molly. Embarrassing seeing him stumbling & bumbling over words so early in the evening.

Loved the highlights of the season & for the individual players. Could have watched them for hours.

Would love to know how much they raised from the auctions & the jumper sales. :shock:

saintvic
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:Gilb's Mum and Dad are the proud recipients of Table No. 19 centrepiece, possibly courtesy of saintvic? Well done, they were rapt with it.
Yes my daughter had decided she wanted to keep the No.19 centrepiece, but Kosi"s mum came to us (she seemed really nice) and asked if we would mind letting Gilbys mum have it, so how could we refuse!! :D

Sainter_4_life
Club Player

saintvic wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:Gilb's Mum and Dad are the proud recipients of Table No. 19 centrepiece, possibly courtesy of saintvic? Well done, they were rapt with it.
Yes my daughter had decided she wanted to keep the No.19 centrepiece, but Kosi"s mum came to us (she seemed really nice) and asked if we would mind letting Gilbys mum have it, so how could we refuse!! :D
but the centrepieces didn't have numbers on them ?

saintvic
Club Player

It wasnt the candle centrepiece, it was the Table number in the centre, which was on a laminated picture of a Saint jumper with the No. 19 on it. :D

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I wonder who has Roo's :wink:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
GrumpyOne

Re: Another B&F wrap (with pics)

Sainter_4_life wrote:Image
Is that young lady on the right wearing as little as it appears she is? :shock: