OFFICIAL: Andrew Lovett - Traded for 1st rounder (Pick 16)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

He did plenty of damage against us this season. He was a real standout in that game! I'm very happy to have him onboard!!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

SENsaintsational wrote:All the best to him and the Saints....but I think we've paid over the odds for him.

Such is life.
This :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Is exactly the type of player we need!!

Welcome Andrew :)

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Very Happy with this trade would be nice to possibly trade ball or maguire for a first rounder tho. He is excatly what we needed pace, good long kick can play midfield and that medium size forward that we have been waiting for. This is not so good news for Tom Lynch and McQualter i must say as he could keep them out of the side if he plays the forward flank/wing position. BUT HAPPY WITH THIS TRADE well done stkilda realising that the mature player is better than the young kid for us in the next few years as 2010 and 2011 r our years, no more geelong too many salary cap problems. GO THE SAINTERS!!

realdeal
Club Player

TassieJones wrote:Only disappointing aspect for me is I had hoped we could use pick 16 to get a bigger fish like Fev or Burgoyne
thats my only concern aswell! He fills some needs that we have, it just wouldve been nice to have gotten abit extra for it.

Pick 16 is worth as much in this draft either so i suppose it looks abit worse than it is.. We have to play hard Ball (pardon the pun) when it comes to Luke Ball though!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I thought the draft didn't run that deep this year...

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

We've paid a fair bit over the odds, but he was at the very top of my wanted list.

Very, very happy to have him.

Can see him offering genuine pace for three years and then become an Andrew McLeod type in the 31-33 years.

Great pick up. Habitually kills us.
Last edited by evertonfc on Tue 06 Oct 2009 5:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

xander
Club Player

Welcome to the saints Lovett!!!
Im stoked with this trade he's exactly what we need. Soooo what number do we give him?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:Good player, but he's way too old to be signing.

This is an admission that we're going all out for the flag in the next two years and not considering the future. Paul Roos style, I guess.
Dont understand this at all.,

We were FIVE MINUTES from a flag.

FIVE MINUTES.

At the moment we might as well be 5 years, but do you want to wait until 2014 or 2015 before we challenge again?

We have the players (almost) the structure, the gameplan, the coach, the captain.

We also had a store of youngsters who learnt their trade in the ressies all year.

Heyne, Steven, Armo, Lynch, Big Mac, Our version of Ushain Bolt, and probably two or three others.

This is another great trade.

Our time is NOW. We are going all out for our flag, unless of course you enjoy the feeling of another flagless year.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
makemytime
Club Player

SainterK wrote:I thought the draft didn't run that deep this year...
top 10 are guns, rest of the draft is a bit shallow... really i would have at least expected a low draft pick back.

How many draft picks do we have left now?

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

TassieJones wrote:Anyone who thinks we're paying over the odds, especially after this year, has no idea. Who cares if we give up the possibility of a gun kid for 4-5 years down the track when our window is slammed shut? Who cares how old Lovett is? We aren't bloody Melbourne, we don't need young kids we need experienced match winners!

We have precious little time whilst this group is in it's prime to grab a premiership. Lovett adds exactly what we need: pace, x-factor, goals from the midfield. Only disappointing aspect for me (apart from the fact that he is a woman bashing dog) is I had hoped we could use pick 16 to get a bigger fish like Fev or Burgoyne, but realistically this is as good a deal as we were gonna get and could tip us over the line for a flag!
I hope the desperation in this post isn't reflective of the decision making process.

:roll:

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

This is an admission that we're going all out for the flag in the next two years and not considering the future. Paul Roos style, I guess.
Because we don't have some amazing kids waiting in the wings?

I have seen quite a few criticisms directed at Ross recently, but surely the balance between now and the future seems spot on at the moment...

66 Saints
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:

FIVE MINUTES.

At the moment we might as well be 5 years, but do you want to wait until 2014 or 2015 before we challenge again?

We have the players (almost) the structure, the gameplan, the coach, the captain.

We also had a store of youngsters who learnt their trade in the ressies all year.

Heyne, Steven, Armo, Lynch, Big Mac, Our version of Ushain Bolt, and probably two or three others.

Our time is NOW. We are going all out for our flag, unless of course you enjoy the feeling of another flagless year.
exactly. I would add that for these reasons we have not paid over the odds for Lovett. He is in his prime and adds something to a side who almost one a flag, worthy of pick 16. Great Trade.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:We've paid over the odds...
It seems that way at first glance. Pick 11 for McLean, pick 14 not enough for Jolly, pick 9 not enough for Burgoyne. I don't think teams have rated this draft highly. Those outside the top bunch of picks seem to be quite happy to get out. It's not like last year at all.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
rixxo
Club Player

Congrates on becoming a saint Andrew . Also i think there is still some cleaning out to be done Raph Clarke would have to be a candidate for trade surely but all in all a promising start for 2010 .

Milton66
SS Life Member

why exactly have we paid over the top?

It's a shallow draft in all the "experts" opinions.

Our window is open over the next few years, so we don't have time do develop certain players.

Said players will ensure we have enough youth coming through.

The glaring weakness that he addresses makes extremely valuable IMO.

If we didn't get him, then what?

Great get IMO. One might say I Lov-ett.

Welcome aboard Andrew.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Just got a text from a Bomber mate - he's bleeding, says we are the big winners here and hopes Ross can sort out his off-field attitude problems.

Here's hoping because I think this is a great trade and the one quality player we were down.

xander
Club Player

I don't see the issue with the trade. This year's draft is terrible and last year we took heaps of kids in the national & rookie drafts.

TassieJones
Club Player

SENsaintsational wrote:
I hope the desperation in this post isn't reflective of the decision making process.

:roll:
Why? You don't think the recruiting department should be as desperate for a flag as I am?

And after the heartbreak of this year you'd really rather have a CHANCE of a player for a few years down the track than someone who would inch us closer to a flag? I wouldn't care if we won every spoon for the next decade afterwards if we won a flag next year. You wouldn't make that trade off?

btw, all that aside pick 16 in a not great draft is only slightly more that what Lovett is worth to your average club (e.g one not in a flag window). Read some of the Essendon reactions on their forums, they either thought they got ripped or it was a fair trade, none are claiming victory.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

On a side note, what are Essendon about?

Essendon have now got rid of Lucas, Velvet, Lovett....Dustin Fletcher isn't getting any younger?

older saint
SS Life Member

Great get i think. We recruited between 8-12 under 20 year old players last year with rookies and NSW scholarship players and the draft is shallow so can afford to top up towards a premiership.

Not over the odds at all.

Ball get a good deal or off to Melbourne

Milton66
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:

FIVE MINUTES.

No, because if we used pick 16 and drafted a kid who turned out to be a dud... or heaven forbid we lose another flag by a kick... all the muppets will be back calling for Ross' head for not recruiting Lovett, who would have made the difference in the GF.

That's why. :lol:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote: Soooo what number do we give him?
#9? Befitting a more senior player, came from another club, a little bit of a different bloke (but in a different way to FG).

Time to bring 9 out of retirement IMO.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

In fairness, is this the first year we have traded our first round draft pick under Ross?

Looks apparently so unless proven otherwise......Armitage, McEvoy and Lynch.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote:I don't see the issue with the trade. This year's draft is terrible and last year we took heaps of kids in the national & rookie drafts.
True, but it's such a high price. I'd still rather we moved heaven and earth for Burgoyne, an elite midfielder who would have been brilliant.

We're out of the running there now and that's disappointing.

Having said that, using Lovett of a half-back flank, instead of Raph Clarke*, is sure to boost our team considerably. I'm a big Lovett fan...just thought we could get him a little cheaper.

* - This is NOT Raph-bashing. It's just that he's not a great player and failed in the Grand Final, and they occupy the same position. And you can't play the racist card either, obviously...

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.