OFFICIAL: Andrew Lovett - Traded for 1st rounder (Pick 16)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Has played 88 games. Is 26.

An absolute jet.

Easily (barring injury) can play 5 years or 100 games of good footy for us. Very good trade from our POV. Not so great for Essendon to be honest in this shallow draft.

We've won this one.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

TassieJones wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
I hope the desperation in this post isn't reflective of the decision making process.

:roll:
Why? You don't think the recruiting department should be as desperate for a flag as I am?

And after the heartbreak of this year you'd really rather have a CHANCE of a player for a few years down the track than someone who would inch us closer to a flag? I wouldn't care if we won every spoon for the next decade afterwards if we won a flag next year. You wouldn't make that trade off?

btw, all that aside pick 16 in a not great draft is only slightly more that what Lovett is worth to your average club (e.g one not in a flag window). Read some of the Essendon reactions on their forums, they either thought they got ripped or it was a fair trade, none are claiming victory.
Of course you do anything to win a flag. Although I wouldn't want spoons every year after that either.

I worry about teams that start to top up when they get 'this close'.

But I don't get paid to make these decisions. Such is life.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
SteveStevens66
Club Player

bergholt wrote: This is an admission that we're going all out for the flag in the next two years and not considering the future.
And the problem with winning a flag in the next two years is exactly what? And besides, isn't the NEXT two years the future?
Last edited by SteveStevens66 on Tue 06 Oct 2009 5:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carna Saints!!!
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

By the way, talk of a shallow draft isn't completely accurate.

Shallow after the first 20 picks.

We've just traded one of those picks away.

Hopefully, we can get back into the top 20 via a Luke Ball trade.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
xander
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
xander wrote:I don't see the issue with the trade. This year's draft is terrible and last year we took heaps of kids in the national & rookie drafts.
True, but it's such a high price. I'd still rather we moved heaven and earth for Burgoyne, an elite midfielder who would have been brilliant.

We're out of the running there now and that's disappointing.

Having said that, using Lovett of a half-back flank, instead of Raph Clarke*, is sure to boost our team considerably. I'm a big Lovett fan...just thought we could get him a little cheaper.

* - This is NOT Raph-bashing. It's just that he's not a great player and failed in the Grand Final, and they occupy the same position. And you can't play the racist card either, obviously...
While i do think it is pretty high price to pay for him, i figure we can afford to give away our first rounder considering our position. And i'd rather see him on a wing i don't think he's a natural defender.

BTW i read somewhere that a rookie elevation counts as a list change this year meaning if we elevate zac we only have to recurit 2 players. Is that correct?

Milton66
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:
xander wrote:I don't see the issue with the trade. This year's draft is terrible and last year we took heaps of kids in the national & rookie drafts.
True, but it's such a high price. I'd still rather we moved heaven and earth for Burgoyne, an elite midfielder who would have been brilliant.

We're out of the running there now and that's disappointing.

Having said that, using Lovett of a half-back flank, instead of Raph Clarke*, is sure to boost our team considerably. I'm a big Lovett fan...just thought we could get him a little cheaper.

* - This is NOT Raph-bashing. It's just that he's not a great player and failed in the Grand Final, and they occupy the same position. And you can't play the racist card either, obviously...
Well, on that logic, then he's a bargain.

Played off half back allows us to release either Raph, Fisher, BJ or Gilbert to play half forward.

So we effectively got 2 for the price of one. Killed to birds with the one stone, so to speak. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. 8-)

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I'm loving having Bomber mates all of a sudden "Could you blokes have cheated us any cheaper FFS? That's worth a pick 25 in a normal draft"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Come here Andy- we're going places

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
S.A Saint
Club Player

im over the moon with this trade...if mclean was worth pick 10 or 11 what even carlton gave up then lovett should be pick 5 imho....we have done very well in this deal..don't think any1 got bent over..its fits our team perfectly and it fits essendons youth policy (or them getting burgoyne for prob their first 2 picks which i think is way to much)

now if we can get ball traded to the magpies for their pick 14 it would be a very very successful trade period....

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Goose is king wrote:In the last 5 minutes I have decided I am very happy with this.

Trading pick 16 for a player to fill one of our two weaknesses is great.

If the Ball trade can fill the other one and Armo can take Balls place we are looking even better.
Exactly what I reckon.

Pick 16 in this draft is probably like 24 or more, in a stronger draft, so losing that is nothing to cry about. If I followed Essendon I don't think I'd be happy with just pick 16 for him. I expected we'd have to give up more than that.
Great to see that he's chosen to come to us for a tilt at a flag, rather than take the extra money and longer contract elsewhere.
If we can get Andrejs Everitt, or someone like that, to free up Goddard to go forward, or if we get Tom Walsh, (or hopefully both) we'll be absolutely laughing.

Welcome aboard, Andrew, please make the most of your opportunity!

PS- He's so fast it's ridiculous and is probably the best long shot for goal, when running at extreme speed, that I've ever seen.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 06 Oct 2009 5:59pm, edited 2 times in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

2010 will be a full on tilt at the flag remember. This is a trade to fill gap. I think that the club rates our 1st year players from last years draft very highly.

If this bloke can work defensively as well. Gun trade.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
realdeal
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
xander wrote:
Well, on that logic, then he's a bargain.

Played off half back allows us to release either Raph, Fisher, BJ or Gilbert to play half forward.

So we effectively got 2 for the price of one. Killed to birds with the one stone, so to speak. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. 8-)
I dont think Fisher, Gilbert or Raph work as well up FWD, I think they all play better down back.
I'm thinking that BJ and Lovett will be able to alternate between wing and HF and provide the 3rd FWD option we require....

Milton66
SS Life Member

Another astute trade by The Saints...

Gardiner

Schneider

Ray

now Lovett.

Ross is putting the final stamp on what he needs for Saints Footy.

Very happy tonite.

:D

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Remember we took some 17yr olds in last years draft, and Jack Steven at 17 the year before. We're doing alright for kids, and Lovett fills a BIG gap in our list.

Worthwhile deal.

Richter
SS Life Member

SENsaintsational wrote:Pick 15 right? For a 27yo? Pick 15???

Yep. That's one higher than the one used to trade for Fergus Watts in 2005 for example.

I am rapt.... :D

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

GREAT get....Im stoked

Who cares even if we paid a little over the odds trade-wise. Sometimes you have to pay for things you really want and A Lovett was at the top of my wish-list too. Gives us raw pace, a real X factor and a extra avenue to goal. Win.Win.Win

It seems that other clubs like dealing with St Kilda cos we dont seem to make outlandish demands. Others? .Well Collingwood fr example....Pick 9 for Cameron Wood....says it all really..Brissy demanded the world..and the Pies rather foolishly gave it to them.

Speaking of the Pies...nows the time to play dirty Sainters...they want Ball they can prove how much they want him 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Welcome to the club Andrew. Best of luck with the Saints

I for one am very happy with this trade

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:

Yep. That's one higher than the one used to trade for Fergus Watts in 2005 for example.

Surely you could've brought the Barry Brooks trade in as well....pick 6 wasn't it?

SaintSimmo
Club Player

I Lovett!!!

Milton66
SS Life Member

Interesting that Ross spoke to Sheedy and Lloyd before making the decision. Llyoyd was very open in recommending Lovett as someone we should get.

Reckoned he was easy to manage.

At least due-dilligence was done.

In Ross we trust. :D

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Quite happy with this.

I am happy with our youth and depth, Geary, Armitage, Steven, Dempster, Gwilt, Eddy, etc

Adds something that cannot be taught or put into a player, and that is genuine speed, plus has skills.

Will thrive in our game I hope, his pace in our high pressure environment. I like it.

Carpe Diem
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Lovett has improved in every year and his best is yet to come...

http://www.finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=1545

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Delicious...

Richter
SS Life Member

SENsaintsational wrote:
Richter wrote:

Surely you could've brought the Barry Brooks trade in as well....pick 6 wasn't it?
Before my time SEN!

But good point! :wink:
Last edited by Richter on Tue 06 Oct 2009 6:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I also reckon the other clubs expected to vie for the flag next year won't be happy Jan to see that we've gotten Lovett. Imagine his tackling, as well as the goals, etc. He'll be running blokes down left right and centre, barring anything unforseen.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 06 Oct 2009 6:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.