OFFICIAL: Andrew Lovett - Traded for 1st rounder (Pick 16)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Andrew Lovett 183 cm turns 27 in November.

Overlooked until the end of 2003, not taken in tne 2003 National Draft but in the rookie draft a few weeks later (known to the AFL as 2004 rookie draft) 3rd round pick No 42.

First played in the seniors in 2005 and permanently elevated to the senior list at the end of 2005.
98 goals from 88 games.
I thought it was 93 goals from 88 games....

http://www.finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=1545

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
doristhesaint
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
doristhesaint wrote:I dont no how to find it but about this time last year i posted that we should try and get Lovett and was mostly howled down(i think)

He would have been a lot cheaper picks and money wise last year!
Here you go, always happy to help out with an "I told you so" :D

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... ght=lovett

Just type Lovett into Search and it will bring up threads relating to that name, yours wasn't hard to find.[/quot

Thanks. Not the best on the workings of the site.

And wasnt howled down like i thought

Pazza
Club Player

From an Essendon point of view...I would suggest you need to look at places other than the Herald-Sun chat page or a few SEN callers.

The majority of Essendon fans, including myself, don't wish anything bad on Lovett..nor are we disappointed that he's gone for a first round pick.

Most Dons fans thought he'd be worth a second rounder AT BEST. It was obvious that he wasn't responding to the efforts Knights had put in to improve him and so the club went after the best deal it could to get him.

It's a serious win/win for all parties concerned.

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

im having a weak moment here, whos no. 16 at the saints?

cos i wanna see our new recurit in that...just to remind the others what they gave up!!

welcome aboard A. Lovett!

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Pazza wrote:From an Essendon point of view...I would suggest you need to look at places other than the Herald-Sun chat page or a few SEN callers.

The majority of Essendon fans, including myself, don't wish anything bad on Lovett..nor are we disappointed that he's gone for a first round pick.

Most Dons fans thought he'd be worth a second rounder AT BEST. It was obvious that he wasn't responding to the efforts Knights had put in to improve him and so the club went after the best deal it could to get him.

Interesting comment - I've had four Bomber mates so far BLEEDING you've given him up so cheaply. Just had his best year and saw the best ahead of him...

Winmarvellous
Club Player

I'd prefer to see him in number 14. Rub it in on Grand Final day. Streaking down the wing on the G, launching from outside 50, GOAL!!! 14 for the Saints. Looks a little different to last year :D

The Bug
Club Player

here my 5min photoshop job :D better then the Microsoft paint try(JUST)

Batnoe

dals_da_bomb wrote:im having a weak moment here, whos no. 16 at the saints?

cos i wanna see our new recurit in that...just to remind the others what they gave up!!

You're not serious

R Clarke!!

I think number 4, or 9 or 14

Sainterman
Club Player

Pazza wrote:From an Essendon point of view...I would suggest you need to look at places other than the Herald-Sun chat page or a few SEN callers.

No disrespect, but you guys have Knights coaching you, very average at best. Not exactly bringing premiership experience with him and changes his game plan 3 times a year. I am not surprised he could not get the best out of Lovett...

In a weak draft, compromised with only 8 months worth of players, pick 16 is effectively a second rounder. I think it is fair enough. We get a midfielder who has pace, can break the lines and kick goals. You guys get a draft pick to add to your group of kids...who are all a few years away at best.

It might be win/win...but I think our win is just a little bigger.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
ThomasR wrote:16 for Lovett is a fair trade. Can't say I'm happy though. Lots of talk why the Bombers were so keen to get rid of him and not just the incident with his ex. Hope he can get his attitude right because he will be an on-field asset if so.
I'd say there is an equal amount of Essendon supporters angry about him leaving...
You are spot on Sainterk, lots of bombers fans not happy. Have also heard that a few bummer players not happy with knights.

Think we may have done allright

I love this club
Pazza
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:

Interesting comment - I've had four Bomber mates so far BLEEDING you've given him up so cheaply. Just had his best year and saw the best ahead of him...
Reckon they don't know a lot.

Sure, he had his best year - but, even then, he finished 11th (that's right) in the Best And Fairest and that he seriously tailed off in the last month.

A first round pick is hardly cheap...I'd assert it is over the odds.

Still, I think if you visit places like Bomberblitz, you will notice the majority are quite pleased.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
dals_da_bomb wrote:im having a weak moment here, whos no. 16 at the saints?

You're not serious

R Clarke!!

I think number 4, or 9 or 14
Or even 6.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

The Bug wrote:here my 5min photoshop job :D better then the Microsoft paint try(JUST)

Happy to admit defeat in that one. :(

claystreet
Club Player

Why would anyone want to go to Bummer blitz?

Pazza
Club Player

Re: my above comment...have a read of this....go to around the 85 page mark.

http://www.bomberblitz.com/forum/index. ... opic=52615

claystreet
Club Player

Cant be flooged Yawn

Milton66
SS Life Member

Why would anyone spend time reading what Bomber fans really think?

Farkme.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Pazza wrote:Re: my above comment...have a read of this....go to around the 85 page mark.

http://www.bomberblitz.com/forum/index. ... opic=52615
Too hard to read, too many people repeat what others say... 8-)

Summarise it for us if you want to...

Pazza
Club Player

Sure Iceman.

Aside from a couple of flogs, as soon as the trade was announced, the reaction to it was utter delight.

Most on here don't realise just how much Lovett has tantalised and teased us over the years and I think people as a rule were getting frustrated by it.

Hence to get a first round pick so unexpectedly is a great result for Essendon. Getting Lovett at Moorabbin was a great result for you guys.

No losers.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Agreed that he needs to sort some issues, but he had a great year at the Bombers, and now it's time for RL and co. to take him and mould him into the consistent player you guys knew he was capable of being.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well I am at least VERY pleased....

I LOVE our recruiting.....we identify NEEDS and then get players that can fit them.

We have admittedly been spoilt by the last several years where we gained absolute STEALS.

But this is a pretty FAIR and reasonable deal. Indeed given our NEEDS and how Lovett FITS them I think it is actually a GOOD deal for us.

In terms of a trade he has evidently joined for quite reasonable $$$$$. YES Burgoyne may well have been BETTER, BUT would have cost more $$$$$$ and as we did not have a low pick a GOOD player.

Our two main needs were for a fast mid with good skills and for a genuine third forward.

This ticks off the first one.

Lovett is :

* What we NEED
* In his PRIME

This all times in with our BEST chance of winning a flag.
Lenny and Roo are our best two players....and the next two three years they will be at their best still. Lovett coincides with this period.

And as for giving up pick 16. It may be first round, but barely and in a week year.

Look back at the No 16's and by and large it is not that inspiring a group.
You might get 100 games or you might get bugga all.

Lovett is good enough and young enough to crack 100 games with us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Agreed that he needs to sort some issues, but he had a great year at the Bombers, and now it's time for RL and co. to take him and mould him into the consistent player you guys knew he was capable of being.
And thats what our club, with RL in charge can do.

I love this club
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Pazza wrote:Sure Iceman.

Aside from a couple of flogs, as soon as the trade was announced, the reaction to it was utter delight.

Most on here don't realise just how much Lovett has tantalised and teased us over the years and I think people as a rule were getting frustrated by it.

Hence to get a first round pick so unexpectedly is a great result for Essendon. Getting Lovett at Moorabbin was a great result for you guys.

No losers.
Exactly..its actually not against the law for everyone to be happy with a trade is it not? A bit of mutual harmony in the dog-eat-dog world of AFL?

Every team has its own needs and its own limits it will set in getting them. If both sides did this via the Lovett trade then terrific!!

Not every trade has to end in us gloating that we ripped the other team off blind

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Well personally I think it is a totally win/win situation.

Essendon and the Saints - on paper - have done very well.

Hope he works out for us and that #16 is useful for the Dons.

Nice to trade with a decent club - I hope we actually screw Collingwood over Ball - filth scum.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Milton66
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:
Pazza wrote:Sure Iceman.

No losers.
Exactly..its actually not against the law for everyone to be happy with a trade is it not? A bit of mutual harmony in the dog-eat-dog world of AFL?

Every team has its own needs and its own limits it will set in getting them. If both sides did this via the Lovett trade then terrific!!

Not every trade has to end in us gloating that we ripped the other team off blind
No,, but I've put up with 20 years of cr@p from their arogant supporters... more flags etc.

So stuff 'em, I hope it hurts like hell. Couldn't happen to a nicer club.

Footy is war, and the sooner people realise this, the more success we'll have.

Take no prisoners.

Ein Reich, Ein Cheersquad, Ein Football club.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?