Lovett interviewed by Police

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
plugger66 wrote:My guess is the other player in the house knows exactly what happened so it will be mainly in his hands. Dont like his chances though.
Was he watching was he? Otherwise he wouldn't know, unless it didn't happen the player can back up that but he couldn't say if it did happen.
I doubt he was watching but unless he is poor reader of body language I think he would have a very good idea. Afterall he would have seen both Lovett and the girl after the event. I still say he would know.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I dont think the case taking months will have any bearing on the decision. It will be what the players have told the club and if there hint of guilt he will not be back. My guess is the other player in the house knows exactly what happened so it will be mainly in his hands. Dont like his chances though.

I dont agree with this... I doubt the club would make a decision based solely on the judicial abilities of his teammates regarding this incident. If he is sacked, its because of his collective character....rather than being guilty of what he is accused of.

And I doubt the other teammate knows exactly what happened. It would be more likely that the incident happened behind a closed door.

Regardless - I still want to see him play. :x
Well they arent going to wait for the court case and anyone who thinks they will, will be wrong. They will have to take the word of the players involved.

linz
Club Player

Given Lovett's previous indiscretions it really is a matter of guilty until proven innocent. And rightfully so in my opinion.

The crap thing about the legal side is that the club can't assume this line.
We'll have to tread eggshells & make sure we're not restraining this young man's right to secure maximum pecuniary gain for his skills or the club will be accused of restraint of trade or some other legal idioism.

Xavier Clarke was great for the work he did for his community. Maybe Andrew Lovett should be given the opportunity to do the same or be shown the door at the risk of legal ramifications.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:Given Lovett's previous indiscretions it really is a matter of guilty until proven innocent. And rightfully so in my opinion.
Got a history of sexual assault has he?

GrumpyOne

plugger66 wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:
plugger66 wrote:My guess is the other player in the house knows exactly what happened so it will be mainly in his hands. Dont like his chances though.
Was he watching was he? Otherwise he wouldn't know, unless it didn't happen the player can back up that but he couldn't say if it did happen.
I doubt he was watching but unless he is poor reader of body language I think he would have a very good idea. Afterall he would have seen both Lovett and the girl after the event. I still say he would know.
Fair go Plugger.... This isn't an episode of Lie To Me...... Lets not hang someone on body language evidence!!!!!

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:Given Lovett's previous indiscretions it really is a matter of guilty until proven innocent. And rightfully so in my opinion.
Totally wrong IMO...

I could not give a flower of his "previous indiscretions" and the Club took this on board when they signed him....

Yes, he had one minor indiscretion whilst with the Club and that was for loud music and was arrested for drunk when Lovett intervened and was outside the flat (hardly serious)

So you think that Lovett is GUILTY of RAPE until proven innocent...

FLOWER ME! :roll:

Just let justice take its course, again very hard to prove if there is insufficient evidence, but in any case linz has made up his mind....

Gee, lucky Joey and Milne weren't ever arrested for drunk in the past...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:
Fair go Plugger.... This isn't an episode of Lie To Me...... Lets not hang someone on body language evidence!!!!!
Well they cant wait till the court case to decide so how else can the club make a decision. I still say that IMO the other player would have a very good idea what went on.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

I think if the case looks like it would take well over a year, they should play him. I think alot also depends on if he gets a pre-season or not. In my opinion, charged or not, if he doesn't get a pre-season, he won't be effective on the field. Footballers need pre-seasons in this day and age to have a real impact on the game.

I also want to say that the thought of him not even playing one minute of football is sickening. I understand that his alleged action is sickening as well; but from a purely subjective football standpoint, the possibility we gave up a first round draft pick for nothing is hard to take.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

sainterinsydney wrote:I think if the case looks like it would take well over a year, they should play him. I think alot also depends on if he gets a pre-season or not. In my opinion, charged or not, if he doesn't get a pre-season, he won't be effective on the field. Footballers need pre-seasons in this day and age to have a real impact on the game.

I also want to say that the thought of him not even playing one minute of football is sickening. I understand that his alleged action is sickening as well; but from a purely subjective football standpoint, the possibility we gave up a first round draft pick for nothing is hard to take.
I don't think anything is really lost atm, aren't the players still on a mini leave until the New Year???

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Guys, Guys, Guys

This is far too serious for us to be having petty arguements about it. St Fid makes some good points from a legal perspective, as does plugger66 from a club perspective. The seriousness of this matter could mean that it appears the club might be going down a slightly different path to that of the judicial system. Again I ask that we trust BOTH the judicial system and the Board/Executive of our club to make the correct decisions on this issue. I'm pretty sure they understand the situation and know what they are doing !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

I tell you this we are in a dificult position... HE WILL NOT BE CHARGED!!!

How can he be??? No Witnesses his word vs hers. All she is claiming is he assaulted her in HER SLEEP?? So she was semi unconcious??? The defence would have a field DAY!!

There is no doubt he is guilty and is scum and should be sacked BUT if he gets off the chasrges which he will how do we and what do we base of termination from?? And does that mean he will be paid out?? FFS we have been given Hell right now. He should pay the money back if he was decent at ALL! :evil:

The players hate him dont want him there so we cant have him there...

linz
Club Player

Eastern wrote:Guys, Guys, Guys

This is far too serious for us to be having petty arguements about it. St Fid makes some good points from a legal perspective, as does plugger66 from a club perspective. The seriousness of this matter could mean that it appears the club might be going down a slightly different path to that of the judicial system. Again I ask that we trust BOTH the judicial system and the Board/Executive of our club to make the correct decisions on this issue. I'm pretty sure they understand the situation and know what they are doing !!
Exactly, and that's why the club is and should be treading on eggshells.
However if the leadership group and the club decide to not play Andrew in the future. "How do we do it?"

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

CaptainReiwoldt wrote:
There is no doubt he is guilty and is scum and should be sacked

You seen a video tape of the incident have you?

Plenty of cases exist of people being falsely accused of crimes for varies reasons.

I am not syaing he is innocent or guilty I have no idea and neither do you.
Spoken to all the players or even one have you?
Last edited by ausfatcat on Wed 30 Dec 2009 8:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

I was going to mention that most of these posts have been pointless pontification. But I do understand that all loyal St. Kilda supporters must feel preety bad at the moment, and I can understand why we wish to vent our spleen. I suggest we just play the waiting game, because continued ifs and maybes will get us absolutely nowhere. Unfortunately this happened during the off-season where every Saints supporter only has this to now think about it.
Last edited by sainterinsydney on Wed 30 Dec 2009 8:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Totally wrong IMO...

I could not give a flower of his "previous indiscretions" and the Club took this on board when they signed him....

Yes, he had one minor indiscretion whilst with the Club and that was for loud music and was arrested for drunk when Lovett intervened and was outside the flat (hardly serious)

Just let justice take its course, again very hard to prove if there is insufficient evidence, but in any case linz has made up his mind....

Agreed 100%

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I've got no inside knowledge on this issue but I've come to the following conclusion:-

I reckon that sometime in the next 2 weeks, Lovett will be taken off suspension by the Club and allowed to resume training.

Even if he is charged, the Club will do nothing about this.

At the moment they have suspended him whilst the police take statements, do interviews etc. That is all they can prudently do.

Without a conviction, and that would seem 12 months away at the least if it ever got that far, I think the Club has effectively got its hands tied.

I'm only guessing but I would think that an allegation, even a charge, is insufficient for a Club to sack a player. (a conviction would be sufficient).

I think St Fid is spot on when he mentions that without physical evidence (and apparently the girl wasn't interviewd by the police on the night?) there would be little chance of a successful prosecution.

I'm sure Lovett's management will be briefing his legal team about the 'playing contract' he has as without his salary from the Saints, how would he be paying for his high-powered defense team?

Therefore one could assume that at the very least he's going to get his salary for this year from the Club.

As a recent example:-
Bock was suspended indefinitely by the Crows for 'bashing' his girlfriend.
He was reinstated 2 weeks later after being interviewed by the SA police. He was later charged with 'assault' and continued to play the season.

CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:
CaptainReiwoldt wrote:
There is no doubt he is guilty and is scum and should be sacked

You seen a video tape of the incident have you?

Plenty of cases exist of people being falsely accused of crimes for varies reasons.

I am not syaing he is innocent or guilty I have no idea and neither do you.

I want you to remember that and come back here and see what i said(and apologize) as it is true. You better pray (like andrew swallow) that he is sacked!
Spoken to all the players or even one have you?
1. Not 100% but 90% and the fact J Gram hasnt come out and said otherwise - the fact the clkub suspended him quicker than a 2 dollar hooker AND the fact he is caused 2 incidents this one being major before 2010 ... he HAS to go. I will tell you this ... IF Lovett plays in 2010 we will NOT make the 8 PUT CASH ON IT! If he is sacked then we will win the FLAG - which one do you want???
2. No, but 1 is too many especially any in the top 22!!!

linz
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
Totally wrong IMO...

And thank goodness St Fidelius has made up his mind also. I have not accused Andrew of rape. I have however assumed he may be guilty of an indiscretion until proven otherwise. Please refer to the post made.

By the way I also think that justice should be done. (carefully and nicely)

I also think the leadership group should be involved. Do they want to play with him?

For people with short memories he also made several indiscretions at Essendon but hey Who Cares. (He's a Saint now)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I've got no inside knowledge on this issue but I've come to the following conclusion:-

I reckon that sometime in the next 2 weeks, Lovett will be taken off suspension by the Club and allowed to resume training.

Even if he is charged, the Club will do nothing about this.

At the moment they have suspended him whilst the police take statements, do interviews etc. That is all they can prudently do.

Without a conviction, and that would seem 12 months away at the least if it ever got that far, I think the Club has effectively got its hands tied.

I'm only guessing but I would think that an allegation, even a charge, is insufficient for a Club to sack a player. (a conviction would be sufficient).

I think St Fid is spot on when he mentions that without physical evidence (and apparently the girl wasn't interviewd by the police on the night?) there would be little chance of a successful prosecution.

I'm sure Lovett's management will be briefing his legal team about the 'playing contract' he has as without his salary from the Saints, how would he be paying for his high-powered defense team?

Therefore one could assume that at the very least he's going to get his salary for this year from the Club.

As a recent example:-
Bock was suspended indefinitely by the Crows for 'bashing' his girlfriend.
He was reinstated 2 weeks later after being interviewed by the SA police. He was later charged with 'assault' and continued to play the season.
Why do you think there is no evidence? What about the other player in the house? What about other girl? And lastly what about the 2 involved? I think the one thing you said that is right is a decision will be made shortly. I just think it will be the opposite of yours.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

CaptainReiwoldt wrote:1. Not 100% but 90% and the fact J Gram hasnt come out and said otherwise
So basicly because he was accused he's guilty, because he got drunk a few weeks ago.

There could be a myrid of reasons why Gram hasn't said anything such as the club saying to him "no comments" the cops saying don't talk to the media ect ect

CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

JESUS CHRIST!! Its 1998 ALL over again. Stan Alves all that crap now we have Lovett and all his crap!!

We might make the finals but like 1998 will fade BIG TIME!! and what happened in 1999 and 2000?? OMG!! well thats just great. Thypical of stkilda to have a great team and throw it away and off field issues!!

CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:
CaptainReiwoldt wrote:1. Not 100% but 90% and the fact J Gram hasnt come out and said otherwise
So basicly because he was accused he's guilty, because he got drunk a few weeks ago.

There could be a myrid of reasons why Gram hasn't said anything such as the club saying to him "no comments" the cops saying don't talk to the media ect ect
Ya hanging on arent ya trying to save the 16 pick mate let it go ITS GONE!! Im tellin ya we keep lotvett 1998 will prevail!

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I'm not trying to save him just reserving judgement because I like everyone else here only know vague information on it, and to me thats not enough to hang anyone out to dry on.

I had a friend who went through hell because of a false accusation and the police dicked around for months on a simple open shut case (the accused wasn't in the same town), but people still treated her differently and disowned her based on vague induendo because the cops were busy and couldn't interview people for a couple of months.

Just wait for more info, or further actions from the cops before hitting the panic button and predicting the downfall of human kind.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
Totally wrong IMO...

And thank goodness St Fidelius has made up his mind also. I have not accused Andrew of rape. I have however assumed he may be guilty of an indiscretion until proven otherwise. Please refer to the post made.

By the way I also think that justice should be done. (carefully and nicely)

I also think the leadership group should be involved. Do they want to play with him?

For people with short memories he also made several indiscretions at Essendon but hey Who Cares. (He's a Saint now)
WTF???

I have made up my mind on what exactly??

and yes, I did mention that the Club took Lovett on board knowing his indiscretions at Essendon, wasn't that clear enough for you to flowering read???

Again, thank flower that both Milne and Monty were never charged for drunk before the accusation of rape hit the press, otherwise you would have these two players guilty until proven innocent...

Here's a clue....

FLOWERING GET ONE!!!

For the record, I was uncertain about the trade of our first round draft pick for Lovett, but I have seen enough footage of him to realise that he would be a good pick up, if he pulled his head in off field...

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Quixote wrote: Stinger should know more, but I think he's off surfing with hot young chicks :wink:
St Fid is a better source..... I know he is.

I wouldn't assume anything from the other. :wink:
STOP BLOODY BAITING!!! :twisted:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor