Stress and me.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Stress and me.

Is there any other Footy Tragics out there like me?
AT the "66 GF final siren, I just stood there. I was so full of emotion I could'nt speak or anything.
Nowadays when I watch Footy, even if we are 30 points up at half time, and they kick a point in the last half, I feel angina, and all stressed out.
Yet at last years Granny, I could not get into the game. I never really felt stressed at any time. Big time disappointment, but no real stress (except after climbing all those stairs).
I thoguth, this is the new, tougher, me. No more stress watching the footy. Then the first NAB Cup game, against Collingwood. I was all stressed out again. The next week was just as tight, but I was'nt really stressed. Even the NAB GF I was'nt stressed. Maybe I really couldnt of cared less if we won or lost. (Except against the Pies of course).

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

I wasnt around for 66, but last year I was stressed. I dont think I breathed or blinked between the sirens. My hands were clasped together pretty tight. I was pretty light headed and nervous before the first siren.

In all fairness Im a total tragic when it comes to watching the saints play footy. You could start up a brass band beside me and Im not sure I would hear you. It often gets me trouble when someone has a explained a big story to me only to realise the saints are on and I havent registered a word :wink:

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
yipper
SS Life Member

I would dearly love to experience the emotion and euphoria of a grand final victory for our beloved Sainters.. alas, I am still waiting.

I can watch footy as a neutral and thoroughly enjoy it - but not when the Sainters are out there. I still enjoy it immensely, but I am stressed, anxious and uptight in the process!!! NAB cup no longer bothers me - the NAB final was a nothing game to me. The big finals of last season put me on edge, I was emotional after the GF. for the wrong reasons obviously!!

It is sometimes tough watching the saints as a passionate supporter, even tho they are a top side and play hard, tough footy.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintnick12
Club Player

I always feel stressed at games (even watching them on TV as well if I'm honest). Though I was a lot more stressed at the prelim than the GF for some reason. I think because I really thought we would beat the bulldogs , where as in GF week I had the sinking feeling that Geelong was going to beat us. It all seemed to be falling into place for them, and so I wasn't as stressed because I didn't have as much expectation. I couldn't enjoy the prelim at all, at any stage really until the siren sounded. Most stressed I've ever been at the footy I reckon. At the GF I was excited to be there, and hopeful but I was able to get into the game a lot more, until of course those last 5 minutes when it got away from us (not that it should have come down to that...we should have been way further in front).

I have discussed it with my husband who follows the saints (finally after I converted him) but hates going to games. We worked it out that he hates the stress....hates that feeling, where as most of us "footy ferals" as he calls us, get off on that. While its stressful at the time, the joy of a great game, a great win, seeing our boys, singing the song, and the hope that one day will win the big one keeps us coming back. For us (my son and I) its worth it, but for him it isn't. He much prefers to watch at home, keep an eye on the internet if the game is delayed, and not put himself through the stress. Fair enough I guess.... each to their own....
He is however, coming to round one in Sydney, so hopefully we will win and it won't be too close....

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Watching the saints progess to the GF last year was stressful and awesome all at the same time. Im sure it was great entertainment for any neighbour to hear me yelling and screaming and just about running laps of the lounge room
When Nick kicked that goal in the last quarter I think I nearly went through the ceiling
Last edited by TazzieSaintGirl83 on Thu 18 Mar 2010 3:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
Fearless
Club Player

I was stressed the whole GF day.

And it remains.

Just need a premiership to drain it all away.

Do I have a problem, must start that meditation class.

Fearless, Saints footy. That's what I like.
StSteven
Club Player

Whatever you do get that angina checked out...

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Very stressed out at Prelim.

At GF not so during game.

Have always considered the Prelim the hardest to handle AS YOU HAVE to win to MAKE IT.....and up to that point a great season W/L

Once in the GF (Lead up nervy) but in game just so much concentration
not as stressed for some reason........

Prelim live was horrible (felt ill).............replay great!!

saint4life
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Re: Stress and me.

borderbarry wrote:Is there any other Footy Tragics out there like me?
AT the "66 GF final siren, I just stood there. I was so full of emotion I could'nt speak or anything.
Nowadays when I watch Footy, even if we are 30 points up at half time, and they kick a point in the last half, I feel angina, and all stressed out.
I used to feel like that Barry, until I had the quintuple bypass operation. :D

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
saintnick12
Club Player

chook23 wrote:Very stressed out at Prelim.

At GF not so during game.

Have always considered the Prelim the hardest to handle AS YOU HAVE to win to MAKE IT.....and up to that point a great season W/L

Once in the GF (Lead up nervy) but in game just so much concentration
not as stressed for some reason........

Prelim live was horrible (felt ill).............replay great!!
Absolutely agree. Its strange but true. Prelim so much more stressful.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

borderbarry wrote:Is there any other Footy Tragics out there like me?
Yet at last years Granny, I could not get into the game. I never really felt stressed at any time. Big time disappointment, but no real stress (except after climbing all those stairs).
I thoguth, this is the new, tougher, me. No more stress watching the footy. Then the first NAB Cup game, against Collingwood. I was all stressed out again. The next week was just as tight, but I was'nt really stressed. Even the NAB GF I was'nt stressed. Maybe I really couldnt of cared less if we won or lost. (Except against the Pies of course).
The doctor once told me that my wife had acute angina. I agreed and added that she had great breasts as well, but I still fail to see what that had to do with her health...............

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Totally agree on the Prelim..the most emotional game Ive ever attended. We just HAD to win it...partially because I'm incredibly sick of losing Prelim's, and partially because after winning 19 straight and 20/22, bombing out in the Prelim would have without doubt brought the scorn of the football world down around us. So, when that siren went and we were in the GF, I did go off just a teeny bit 8-)

Grand Final week I was more proud than nervous. Its the one week of the year when the entire city is footy-mad (more htan usual) and by God my team was part of it. Lots and lots of "good luck" and "OK this is it lets go win a flag" texts on game day from the moment I woke (early..thanks to those standing room tix!!) made me almost feel like I was playing lol

Became increasinlgy nervous as the game progressed of course, but when I heard the inside 50 stats at half time, it just rammed home how we'd blown an incredible chance, given the weather, to have the game almost locked away.

Afterwards, numb. Just stood there after the siren saying nothing, leaning on the fence in front of me. Eventually consoled a few people who were pretty emotional, realised Id have to sit thru the medal presentations to see the Saints leave the ground...and so walked outside. Thank God for my friends on this Forum..we gathered and trudged up to the Corner and as a group consoled ourselves over a few beers. Was left to my own devices in 97 and cannot emphasise who much easier it was to gtake having fellow fans around me that Id made the 2010 journey with. The "wake" the next day at ES was also very helpful in closure

This year, should we make the big dance, will be different. We HAVE to make it and if we do we HAVE to win. the 2010 GF will be our 2009 PF...losing will just not be an option! Some neutral friends who came to the Corner with us commented to me on how well we took the loss, how we still recalled the game and even cracked a few smiles. I think the same result repeated this year might see a far different reaction.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

GF day was a weird one for me too, maybe because I was in the second row from the fence and I am used to, and prefer sitting up in the stands. The weather made it difficult to watch at times too.

The day was a blur and was totally different to 97 for me, when I literally wept at the 20 minute mark of the last quarter. This time I was also quiet like you Barry and then the siren went. I was more numb and in disbelief that all of the things we did in the home and away season, and then the Finals, and even the GF, amounted to no more than 97. I think if we got up I would have also been in disbelief. Normally I yell at the footy but I was quiet in the last ten minutes because I felt that we were physically spent and that we weren't going to win. However, during the year we had been in that position, including the PF and we found something. So when the siren went I still felt like I was waiting for something to happen.

I was sitting right in front of Rooke and Blake when the siren went. However the vision that haunts me, is that I was watching Blake and Rooke going for that last mark and I just saw a spilt second look of resignation on Jason Blake's face when he couldn't get to Rooke. It devastated me to see his face. Then the siren went and I saw Lenny close up and he was inconsolable.

After seeing their faces, I felt like they had really given it everything and it gave me some perspective on my own feelings. So my and my friend watched Roo's speech and then left..and I have not watched the game since. The only thing I looked at was the stats. Didn't buy a paper. I change the channel whenever there is an advert showing Geelong in the GF.

I have always watched replays of games just to analyse where it went wrong, even the 97 GF. However, I don't think I will be able to watch this game until we win a premiership.

Maxstar22
Club Player

I come home from every match absolutely exhausted. On the massive games (Rnd 14 and Prelim), I even lose my voice. That is how stressed and how much I invest into every game.

Roll on 2010 - I can't wait to get exhausted and lose my voice again :lol:

milney044
Club Player

The Grand Final was pretty sereal for me. Even when watching the boys run out it was just so hard to believe that it was actually us. I think the Prelim was more stressful because, like everyone has been saying, we simply had to get there and I expected us to win. Against Geelong, I still had that feeling as though they were the better team and if not then just as strong and I just didn't have that same expectation.

It had always been a nightmare of mine to witness losing a Grand Final, and it was. What added to it though, was the fact that my favourite player, who had so often won us games off his own boot, hadn't done it at a time when it mattered most. For me personally, this made the loss even harder to deal with and I was just so disappointed and angry at the lost opportunity that was right there in our hands.

After seeing the players after the game though, and hearing descriptions of what Milne was like in the rooms afterwards, it really brought things back into perspective as I realised their pain was unimaginably worse and I felt bad for being so angry. Now I just want to be there for the support and encourage them to take it that one step further and use that hurt as motivation for the year ahead.

I didn't cry at the game, but about a week later the reality hit me, and its still painful to write about it now. I haven't even opened the record that I bought at the game either, it's still in the plastic.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: The doctor once told me that my wife had acute angina. I agreed and added that she had great breasts as well, but I still fail to see what that had to do with her health...............
I too, am a true believer.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
True Believer wrote: The doctor once told me that my wife had acute angina. I agreed and added that she had great breasts as well, but I still fail to see what that had to do with her health...............
I too, am a true believer.
Now that's another thread altogether :oops:

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Maxstar22 wrote:I come home from every match absolutely exhausted. On the massive games (Rnd 14 and Prelim), I even lose my voice. That is how stressed and how much I invest into every game.

Roll on 2010 - I can't wait to get exhausted and lose my voice again :lol:
I lost my voice at the NAB Cup last week. :lol:

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

It's a big effort to get back to the Grand Final the year after you lose it...

we havent done it since 65/66......

can we do it this year...?

we'd need to sort put FB and FF first.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:It's a big effort to get back to the Grand Final the year after you lose it...

We blood-ee well better. 98 was in some ways harder than 97. Top of the ladder after Round 15, beating WB at Waverley and Aussie Jones' alleged comment, "We'll see you in the GF", or something like that. Then we lost 6 of our next 7 and got bundled out in straight sets. I'll never forget that crappy final against Melbourne when Barry lost it and Wakes tried to calm him down.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:It's a big effort to get back to the Grand Final the year after you lose it...

So you dont rate Kosi?? Just wondering, you havent brought it up before :roll: 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I get so stressed it takes years off my life. When it's a close encounter in any game it's clearly the most important thing in the world to ever happen and we must win at all costs .

Prelim last year I was stressed,but calm. Didn't yell like I normally do.....just watched,and yelled a fair bit,but not like normal. i just wanted to win the thing. When we did it was a relief,but i moved on straight away to the next week,this was it!

Grand Final...clearly the most important day of my life. Was there in 97 and expected to win that one,we didn't. Last year everyone wrote us off,but I just thought we'd beat them. I felt sick GF morning,didn't eat. Met friends at the pub at 11am before going to the game. Everyone was commenting on how pale I was! So i started downing scooners,one after another.....alcohol is very good at easing stress.

The game starts and I brought my A game to the stands. Was up there with my 04 prelim effort in Adelaide....starting stkilda chants,yelling stupidly...grabbing Nicky Winmar and telling him to "F***ING COME ON NICKY WE CAN DO IT!!!!"....he joined in the yelling.

3/4 time it hit me,I had to get a pass out and try and compose myself. We were on the cusp of finally doing it.....this is all i wanted to ever see. People have there biggest wishes in life to travel overseas,have a family,etc...mine is to see us win a Grand Final. Ridiculously i was almost crying at 3/4 time...calm down you idiot!

The final quarter, like so many times before we just couldn't take that next step. Opposition fans rejoiced, we were left heart broken yet again. I trudged out of the ground in anger kicking things,swearing,choking back the tears,lots of rage... Then a minute or so later a strange calm came over me...I said to myself "you've been here before,move on,it's just a game" ...so i walked off to the pub,copping it on the chin that we had our chances, then partied until daylight the next day. Then the sunday night it hit me again,and i didn't talk to anyone in the house for 1-2 weeks.

F*** the footy! :lol:

Bring back the Lockett era
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I didnt move for over an hour after the GF... just couldnt stand up, could barely talk, couldnt do anything.

But up to about 3qtr time, I was pretty calm. I knew we were going to win it. It was our year. Maybe the 11 o'clock scotch and cokes helped, but I was very level headed until the last quarter.

I knew we'd given our all, but we'd missed so many opportunities and the pussies were a quality team and I just couldnt get that out of my head when the clock said it was 5 minutes into the last quarter.

I havent shaken that feeling of despair ever since.

*sigh*

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:
But up to about 3qtr time, I was pretty calm. I knew we were going to win it. It was our year.
I went to Mens room at 3/4 time and walking up the aisle and even hearing the chat among the Saints supporters in the Mens room, so many people thought we had it, but I didn't. I thought we spent a lot of energy and should have been 3 goals up at 3/4 time. I was worried that we worked so hard but hadn't shaken them off and one goal to them would put the fear of God in to our boys.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I also have my Record still in its wrapper, never looked at it. Nor have I ever watched the Grand Final replay.
Lets hope this is our year.