Lovett lodges notice of grievance with club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/l ... -q9pk.html

ANDREW Lovett's lawyers are expected to lodge an updated notice of grievance today to recommence the settlement process between St Kilda and the sacked footballer

Lovett's notice of grievance was still being amended yesterday in response to a statement St Kilda issued at the end of the unsuccessful mediation. The Saints stipulated in the statement - for the first time publicly - that Lovett had been sacked because he had brought the club into disrepute by being accused of, and ultimately charged with, rape. Earlier, the club had cited other disciplinary issues as reasons for his dismissal.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

"The matter of Lovett's handling by a football club he did not play a single game for will now be heard by an AFL grievance tribunal.'

flowering expensive mistake....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Why was Ross Lyon at the original hearing last week?

Wasn't that designed to broker a deal between the club, Lovett, and the AFLPA?

Why would the coach be present at that point?

oneteam
Club Player

Lyon was not there .

No reason for him to be there.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

oneteam wrote:Lyon was not there .

I thought I read that he was.

I must admit it had me scratching my head cause I couldn't see why the coach would be present at a meeting of that sort.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:

I must admit it had me scratching my head cause I couldn't see why the coach would be present at a meeting of that sort.
I'm sorry Ross wasn't there, because I wanted to see Lovett sitting directly opposite him and Ross asking him to look him the face and say he (Lovett) desrves any kind of payment after what has happened i.e never played a game for this club so how can you ask for such an outrageous amount of money.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Well how about asking him whether he thinks that any of his actions may have brought the club into disrepute.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Why was Ross Lyon at the original hearing last week?

Wasn't that designed to broker a deal between the club, Lovett, and the AFLPA?

Why would the coach be present at that point?
Well if Ross Lyon wasn't there then he showed impeccable judgement in not being there, but if he was there, this displayed a great deal of cognitive awareness and insight in knowing he needed to be there!

Whatever the case might be, he revealed great intuitive reasoning and perspicuous understanding of the necessary dynamics, borne from an acute, analytical and perspicaciously, hypothesized deciphering and dissemination of the relevant information at hand, to arrive ultimately at the correct decision!

Ross Lyon walks on water!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

Just to annoy you Rodger, just to annoy you ;-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintnick12
Club Player

Latest update on the saga...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... -qmcf.html

Must admit I don't like the way the club is not respecting the previously agreed upon disbute resolution procedures, but I've said my piece about that previously. Hopefully this is all just manouvering to try to get a settlement....

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

saintnick12 wrote:Latest update on the saga...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... -qmcf.html

Must admit I don't like the way the club is not respecting the previously agreed upon disbute resolution procedures, but I've said my piece about that previously. Hopefully this is all just manouvering to try to get a settlement....
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

About time they put this to bed. I really can't see this going on for too much longer

Another opportunity awaits!
BallBanger
Club Player

Lovett would have been given some leeway by our club because of us using 1 draft pick so to give him the flick would not have been an easy thing for the club...
That prick lawyer/umpire Humphry smith can't see past his own selfish nose...ever heard him explain why or why not a free was given only to reverse argue the folllowing week.

HS/AL are trying as many angles as they can to get something they do not want to see why they should not have...
If lovett goes to the grievience commission and wins (like the afl HAVE CARED ABOUT saints in the past) where does this leave us??? do we have to add the 3 mil the GR.TR. sanctioned to him (hypethetical) on our salary cap?
Then later when he is (hypethetical again) found guilty of rape what happens?????

Then if we go to the G.T. and tell all is this influencing the course of justice..surely this info should be confidential

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:Lovett would have been given some leeway by our club because of us using 1 draft pick so to give him the flick would not have been an easy thing for the club...
That prick lawyer/umpire Humphry smith can't see past his own selfish nose...ever heard him explain why or why not a free was given only to reverse argue the folllowing week.

HS/AL are trying as many angles as they can to get something they do not want to see why they should not have...
If lovett goes to the grievience commission and wins (like the afl HAVE CARED ABOUT saints in the past) where does this leave us??? do we have to add the 3 mil the GR.TR. sanctioned to him (hypethetical) on our salary cap?
Then later when he is (hypethetical again) found guilty of rape what happens?????

Then if we go to the G.T. and tell all is this influencing the course of justice..surely this info should be confidential
well said.

I hope we nail Humphrey Bear and the leech he is representing.

Fight it Saints!

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

The question is should Lovett be covered by the same sort of employment laws we are covered by, or is it different because his job is playing footy?

The Saints are only in this position because the leadership group gave them an ultimatum, and with the best team ever to put on the jumper, premierships were at stake. Footy success was put higher than moral correctness.

If we had finished on the bottom of the ladder, the whole matter would have been done and dusted by now.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Pretty obvious whats happening IMO

Saints want to give him nothing

AL wants his full 3 year salary + masses of compensation for wrongdoing

The end result will be somewhere in the middle and I think all parties know this

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:The question is should Lovett be covered by the same sort of employment laws we are covered by, or is it different because his job is playing footy?

The Saints are only in this position because the leadership group gave them an ultimatum, and with the best team ever to put on the jumper, premierships were at stake. Footy success was put higher than moral correctness.

If we had finished on the bottom of the ladder, the whole matter would have been done and dusted by now.
Grumps, you're like 'a dog with a bone' on this.
What is concerning is that you've obviously heard 'something' which you are now stating as fact.

How do you know that St Kilda's actions are due only to an 'ultimatum' from the leadership group' (at least you've now widened the 'culprits' from the captain to the leadership group).

What makes you so sure that the reasons St Kilda gave for terminating his contract were false?

Why do you appear to have a fixation with the rights of Andrew Lovett to the complete detriment of everybody else at St Kilda?

According to the Club, Lovett breached clauses of his contract, so they sacked him. Why is that so impossible for you to believe?

Why are you so much more concerned about Andrew Lovett than other Saints players who may well have been affected by his actions?

What am I missing here?
Why aren't the reasons for your position obvious to me?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:The question is should Lovett be covered by the same sort of employment laws we are covered by, or is it different because his job is playing footy?

BS, the sooner footballers realise that part of their salary is linked to the way they act off the field the better they will be.

AL deserves nothing, and he brought it all on himself.

Saintsfan
Club Player

Andrew Lovett's psychological well-being needs to be addressed as well. He has stated he battles depression and the illness does not magically go away. It is a misunderstood illness that the naive bogan seems to put down to not being cheery and happy.

I believe his psych state should be considered with the assistance of a third party psychological analyst.

The Saintsfan Cometh
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:I believe his psych state should be considered with the assistance of a third party psychological analyst.
Is that the saints, AFL's, Lovetts management or Lovetts rsponsibility thou?

Saintsfan
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:I believe his psych state should be considered with the assistance of a third party psychological analyst.
If he is still somehow considered an employee within the scope of the AFL well then us plus everyone.

Well actually everyone. Either way we are well...trailblazing the way for further players to be sacked by proving that appropriate rules are not in place to deal with such a problem

The Saintsfan Cometh
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
Please do not keep using the word thou, which means you,
when you mean though, which generally means however.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

Grumps, you're like 'a dog with a bone' on this.
What is concerning is that you've obviously heard 'something' which you are now stating as fact.

How do you know that St Kilda's actions are due only to an 'ultimatum' from the leadership group' (at least you've now widened the 'culprits' from the captain to the leadership group).

What makes you so sure that the reasons St Kilda gave for terminating his contract were false?

Why do you appear to have a fixation with the rights of Andrew Lovett to the complete detriment of everybody else at St Kilda?

According to the Club, Lovett breached clauses of his contract, so they sacked him. Why is that so impossible for you to believe?

Why are you so much more concerned about Andrew Lovett than other Saints players who may well have been affected by his actions?

What am I missing here?
Why aren't the reasons for your position obvious to me?
All will out in time MM.

I was wrong to accuse the captain. I was only focussing on one person with the power to issue an ultimatum to the club. A group of the club leaders on the field have the equivalent power to the franchise player.

What I have found out is that the club was in a no-win situation, and took the course of action they did to salvage the season. If you need evidence, look at the "no it wasn't/yes it was" stance on the alledged rape being the reason for Lovett's dismissal. They have been scrambling for a reason since day 1. Remember, he has not been found guilty of anything.

I am like a dog with a bone because the truth has been concealed. There is good reason for that; the complainant must be protected. When it is revealed, probably not before the trial, there will be a rapid intake of breath from all of us when it all makes sense.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Fact is there's two rather technical legal arguments in play. Both sides think they are right enough to salvage some coin. That's how law works, no matter the jurisdiction.

Either way we'll end up giving some money to an undeserving turd - the price of a silly kneejerk recruitment error.

And for what it's worth the 'Grievance Tribunal' - and essentially that's what we are talking about here - is not a court, will never be a court and the fact that it says that it has some sort of power is akin to me suggesting I have the right to ban players for chewing gum.

But because it's footy, and because nothing sells Herald Suns and Ages like conflict in footy, Joe Public gets fed this line about St K not taking part in justice which in turn reads 'St K is hiding something' (GO, IMO you fall for this hook line and sinker).

As for taking part, well why the f**k should it, to be frank?

To keep some honorary lawyers aglow with self-importance? To pay Rush QC's membership fees at the Australia Club for the next five years?

Hindsight dictates Lovett isn't/wasn't fit for St K. We should pay a price for foolishly thinking otherwise. But that price should be a pittance.

Give Lovett his legal costs to date and $100k to subsidise the next year or so of his life while he refelcts on what could have been had he turned up to training on time, stayed off the piss, and kept himself away from the controversial situations he must have known would land him in the poop.

Otherwise lets just talk football for christs sake. Lovett Schmovett. About as relevant as Mark Latham.

And to end my rant - good on the club for acting swiftly and having the good grace to water down questions about where it stands on the matter. The way Humphery Smith and his firm run to media and soap box it every time the whole sordid c**k up hocks up a fur ball is disgustingly immature, insincere, cynical, and quite frankly repulsive.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
oneteam
Club Player

The way Humphery Smith and his firm run to media and soap box it every time the whole sordid c**k up hocks up a fur ball is disgustingly immature, insincere, cynical, and quite frankly repulsive.

Exactly. This guy seems to love the spotlight. looks like he has pumped up lovetts expectations , charged huge fees,

but now the club is not running to write a fat cheque to his firm and Lovett, he runs to the papers.

If his case is so strong , and the clubs lawyers are wrong, then just leave it in the tribunal, run your case, and stop trying to run the case in the papers.