Saints popularity in remote Australia

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lazy
Club Player

Saints popularity in remote Australia

I've lived in the NT for biggest mob years now but never before experienced what I have in the last few weeks. For work I travelled to a remote Indigenous community in Arnhem Land and also one not too far from Katherine. Traditionally kids up here have been Bomber or West Coast Eagles supporters in my experience but most recently a number of the kids are happily decalring themselves as Saints supporters. Remote pre-season community visit by the Saints next year?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints popularity in remote Australia

the raph factor

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

lazy wrote:I've lived in the NT for biggest mob years now but never before experienced what I have in the last few weeks. For work I travelled to a remote Indigenous community in Arnhem Land and also one not too far from Katherine. Traditionally kids up here have been Bomber or West Coast Eagles supporters in my experience but most recently a number of the kids are happily decalring themselves as Saints supporters. Remote pre-season community visit by the Saints next year?
very interesting. would be great if that happened. any ideas why? clarke brothers? colours? or just cos we are good?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:the raph factor
I would say "almost" correct.

I think you will find that Raph's grandmother was/is one of the most revered figures in the Territory (there has been plenty written about her). She was a fanatical saints fan, as was Raph & X's father, Xavier snr. With both boys going to the saints, and Raph being still with us this would have a fair influence across the territory that could almost rival the Michael Long factor with Essendon !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
bigcarl wrote:the raph factor
I would say "almost" correct.

I think you will find that Raph's grandmother was/is one of the most revered figures in the Territory (there has been plenty written about her). She was a fanatical saints fan, as was Raph & X's father, Xavier snr. With both boys going to the saints, and Raph being still with us this would have a fair influence across the territory that could almost rival the Michael Long factor with Essendon !!
anyone heard an update of how his injury is progressing?

looks like he's going to have to win back his spot with some good football at sandringham.

lazy
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
lazy wrote:I've lived in the NT for biggest mob years now but never before experienced what I have in the last few weeks. For work I travelled to a remote Indigenous community in Arnhem Land and also one not too far from Katherine. Traditionally kids up here have been Bomber or West Coast Eagles supporters in my experience but most recently a number of the kids are happily decalring themselves as Saints supporters. Remote pre-season community visit by the Saints next year?
very interesting. would be great if that happened. any ideas why? clarke brothers? colours? or just cos we are good?
I really don't believe Raph or X to have been a factor. They are/were pretty low profile in the grand scheme of things, even for Indigenous Australians. I think its just the on-field success factor along with the great profile of Roo.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Darwin's got a pretty good Stkilda supporter base. When we were up there we were going to try and organise an unofficial supporter group thing to gather at the Airport Hotel or somewhere to watch the games each week....never did though.

I'm up in a few weeks Lazy whilst we play Freo...will probably head into Kitty's and watch it in there for the arvo

Bring back the Lockett era